|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comment does Jo have in Chapter 16 about the songs she sings?
(a) She loves to sing for Jamison.
(b) She doesn't learn songs, she just "knows" them.
(c) She does not enjoy singing the songs the Guardians teach her.
(d) Her songs are sung to her by a bluebird.
2. In the beginning of Chapter 17, how long has Matt been missing?
(a) A month.
(b) Two days.
(c) Nine days.
(d) Two weeks.
3. What valuable skill does Kira believe Matt possesses?
(a) The ability to make blue dye.
(b) The ability to grow blue flowers.
(c) The ability to prophesy.
(d) The ability to make people laugh.
4. What does Jamison expect Kira to tell everyone with her needle and thread?
(a) Whatever the guardians say.
(b) The past.
(c) Her story.
(d) The future.
5. What comment does Marlena make about Jo?
(a) Her songs were not only beautiful, but prophetic.
(b) Jo's parents had too many children to keep.
(c) She was born a prophet.
(d) She is Jo's sister.
6. Where does Christopher ask Kira to go?
(a) With him to the Council of Guardians.
(b) Back to his village to begin a new life.
(c) To the woods to find blue flowers.
(d) Down to the dungeon.
7. What does Kira do while she waits for the storm in Chapter 12 to pass?
(a) Explores the Edifice with her friends.
(c) Cleans the bathroom.
(d) Embroiders her mother's dress.
8. How will Kira know what to embroider on the blank patch of cloth?
(a) Annabella will tell her what to embroider.
(b) The guardians will tell her what to embroider.
(c) Her fingers will know.
(d) She will dream her designs.
9. What revelation does Matt have about the beasts in the woods?
(a) He has the power to control them.
(b) They do not exist.
(c) They are tame.
(d) They fear light.
10. Which character once attempted to kill Christopher?
(c) Kira's father.
11. What frightens Kira as the Ruin song resumes after lunch?
(a) She sees Annabella in the crowd.
(b) Thomas disappears.
(c) Matt disappears.
(d) She recognizes the source of the mysterious sound.
12. What is unusual about Christopher's village?
(a) It is populated by artisans and keepers of history.
(b) Everyone, even the women, can read.
(c) It is protected by the beasts of the woods.
(d) It is populated by injured people from other villages.
13. What infirmity does the stranger waiting in Kira's room after the singing of the Ruin song have?
(c) A crippled leg.
(d) A mauled face.
14. What unusual sound does Kira hear at the beginning of the Ruin song ceremony?
(a) An echoing ring.
(b) An electronic beeping.
(c) A metallic scraping.
(d) A soft buzzing.
15. What gift does the stranger give to Kira in Chapter 21?
(a) The plants to make blue dye.
(b) A pot of blue dye.
(c) A bag of seeds.
(d) The Book of History.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Matt's brother, where has Matt gone?
2. Who visits Kira in her room after she returns from her exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice?
3. What does Thomas recall from his childhood in the Edifice?
4. Who has Kira not seen during her stay in the Edifice?
5. What is being constructed for Kira at the beginning of Chapter 15?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)