|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Matt, where is Jo from?
(a) From "far yonder."
(b) The next village.
(c) The mountains.
(d) The Fen.
2. What infirmity does the stranger waiting in Kira's room after the singing of the Ruin song have?
(b) A mauled face.
(c) A crippled leg.
3. Where do Kira and Thomas go in Chapter 17?
(a) To the next village.
(b) To the Fen.
(c) To the dungeons of the Edifice.
(d) To Annabella's cott.
4. What is being constructed for Kira at the beginning of Chapter 15?
(a) A weaver's shed.
(b) A place to instruct the girls of the village.
(c) A new cott.
(d) A place to grow and process the plants used in dye making.
5. In Chapter 12, what sound has Thomas heard at night?
(a) A metallic scraping.
(b) An electronic humming.
(c) An eerie singing.
(d) A crying child.
6. Who does Matt see in the Field of Leaving in Chapter 14?
7. Where does Kira's friend Marlena work?
(a) In the potter's shed.
(b) In the Fen.
(c) In the Edifice.
(d) In the weaving shed.
8. What comment does Jo have in Chapter 16 about the songs she sings?
(a) She doesn't learn songs, she just "knows" them.
(b) She does not enjoy singing the songs the Guardians teach her.
(c) Her songs are sung to her by a bluebird.
(d) She loves to sing for Jamison.
9. How is Jo supposed to contact Thomas if she needs help?
(a) Knock on her ceiling with a hairbrush.
(b) Knock on the bathroom floor with a hairbrush.
(c) Sing a special song through the pipes.
(d) Hit the bathroom pipes with a hairbrush.
10. Which character once attempted to kill Christopher?
(b) Kira's father.
11. What area do Kira and Thomas pass as they look for Matt in Chapter 17?
(a) The potter's shed.
(b) Kira's old cott.
(c) The weaver's shed.
(d) The Field of Leaving.
12. How does the Ruin song begin?
(a) "Here in this place."
(b) "As we all gather."
(c) "In the beginning."
(d) "Listen, all ye people."
13. How does the stranger in Chapter 21 find Kira's village?
(a) Matt led him.
(b) By the words to a song.
(c) By the feel of the sun on his face and the smells around him.
(d) There is a map of all the villages in the Book of History.
14. According to Matt's brother, where has Matt gone?
(a) On the great hunt.
(b) To find Kira's father.
(c) To find a gift of blue for Kira.
(d) Over yonder to the next village.
15. What unusual sound does Kira hear at the beginning of the Ruin song ceremony?
(a) An echoing ring.
(b) A metallic scraping.
(c) A soft buzzing.
(d) An electronic beeping.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Thomas and Kira bring with them as they visit Jo in Chapter 16?
2. What valuable skill does Kira believe Matt possesses?
3. What title is Kira given during the Ruin song ceremony?
4. Who walks through a storm to visit Kira?
5. What has been brought to the Edifice from Annabella's cott?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)