|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jamison tell Kira in Chapter 14?
(a) Annabella died in her sleep.
(b) Annabella died of the same illness that killed Kira's mother.
(c) Annabella has moved to the next village.
(d) Annabella was eaten by beasts.
2. What does Kira give Jo as she tucks her into bed in Chapter 16?
(a) A hug.
(b) Her embroidered scrap of cloth.
(c) An embroidered cloth doll.
(d) A kiss.
3. How does the Ruin song begin?
(a) "Here in this place."
(b) "As we all gather."
(c) "Listen, all ye people."
(d) "In the beginning."
4. Who does Matt see in the Field of Leaving in Chapter 14?
5. What title is Kira given during the Ruin song ceremony?
(a) The Knitter of the past.
(b) The Designer of the people.
(c) The Robe-threader and designer of the future.
(d) The Weaver of the future.
6. What does Thomas recall from his childhood in the Edifice?
(a) He was taught to read by a blind man.
(b) He never went outside the Edifice.
(c) He was locked in his room when he was a little boy.
(d) He was taught to carve wood by a blind man.
7. What does Thomas finish in Chapter 18?
(a) Kira's new cott.
(b) The repairs to the Singer's book.
(c) Exploring the Edifice.
(d) The repairs to the Singer's staff.
8. Which character once attempted to kill Christopher?
(d) Kira's father.
9. What infirmity does the stranger waiting in Kira's room after the singing of the Ruin song have?
(a) A crippled leg.
(c) A mauled face.
10. What gift does the stranger give to Kira in Chapter 21?
(a) The Book of History.
(b) A bag of seeds.
(c) A pot of blue dye.
(d) The plants to make blue dye.
11. What is Matt's "big" gift for Kira in Chapter 21?
(a) A pot of blue dye.
(c) A bag of seeds.
(d) Her father, Christopher.
12. What does Jamison recite for Kira in Chapter 18?
(a) Poems from before the Ruin.
(b) The song of the Great Hunt.
(c) Passages from the Ruin song.
(d) The rules of the Edifice.
13. How does the Singer and the crowd end the Ruin song?
(a) "Listen, and remember."
(b) "Amen. So be it."
(c) "Listen, all ye people."
(d) "Thus says the song."
14. Where do Kira and Thomas go in Chapter 17?
(a) To Annabella's cott.
(b) To the Fen.
(c) To the dungeons of the Edifice.
(d) To the next village.
15. At the beginning of Chapter 13, whose voice do Kira and her friends hear speaking harshly in the lower floor of the Edifice?
(a) Christopher's voice.
(b) An unknown man's voice.
(c) Annabella's voice.
(d) Jamison's voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character takes Kira's place in the weaving shed?
2. What does Kira finish in Chapter 18?
3. Where do Thomas and Kira sit during the singing of the Ruin song?
4. What is the atmosphere in the Council Edifice as people gather for the singing of the Ruin song?
5. In Chapter 12, what sound has Thomas heard at night?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)