|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what is Jo doing in her room when Thomas and Kira find her?
(b) Staring out the window.
2. What is Matt's "big" gift for Kira in Chapter 21?
(a) A bag of seeds.
(b) Her father, Christopher.
(d) A pot of blue dye.
3. What does Thomas recall from his childhood in the Edifice?
(a) He was locked in his room when he was a little boy.
(b) He never went outside the Edifice.
(c) He was taught to carve wood by a blind man.
(d) He was taught to read by a blind man.
4. What frightens Kira as the Ruin song resumes after lunch?
(a) She sees Annabella in the crowd.
(b) Thomas disappears.
(c) She recognizes the source of the mysterious sound.
(d) Matt disappears.
5. In Chapter 12, what thread does Kira wish she had?
(a) Silk thread.
(b) White thread.
(c) Blue thread.
(d) Purple thread.
6. What "small" gift does Matt bring to Kira in Chapter 20?
(a) A scrap of blue cloth.
(b) A bundle of blue threads.
(c) A blue flower.
(d) A bundle of white threads.
7. What does Thomas finish in Chapter 18?
(a) Kira's new cott.
(b) The repairs to the Singer's staff.
(c) Exploring the Edifice.
(d) The repairs to the Singer's book.
8. Who visits Kira in her room after she returns from her exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice?
9. Why isn't Kira allowed to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
(a) Matt is already in the Field watching over Annabella.
(b) Jamison tells her she doesn't have time to spare.
(c) She cannot travel outside the Edifice until after the Ruin Song.
(d) Jamison tells her she will be tainted for the ceremony.
10. What gift does the stranger give to Kira in Chapter 21?
(a) The plants to make blue dye.
(b) The Book of History.
(c) A pot of blue dye.
(d) A bag of seeds.
11. What area do Kira and Thomas pass as they look for Matt in Chapter 17?
(a) The potter's shed.
(b) The weaver's shed.
(c) The Field of Leaving.
(d) Kira's old cott.
12. What does the storm keep Kira from doing in Chapter 12?
(b) Boiling dyes.
(d) Traveling to Annabella's house.
13. Which character takes Kira's place in the weaving shed?
14. After her visit to Jo in Chapter 16, what does Kira do once she is back in her own bed?
(a) Reads a book of history.
(d) Plans their escape.
15. What is the atmosphere in the Council Edifice as people gather for the singing of the Ruin song?
(a) Raucous and rowdy.
(b) Solemn and respectful.
(c) Filled with wailing and sadness.
(d) Joyous and noisy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the parents of the child heard in Chapter 13?
2. According to Matt, where is Jo from?
3. What claim does Thomas make about his and Kira's parents in Chapter 13?
4. While learning the plants used to create cloth dyes, what has Kira also been learning?
5. How will Kira know what to embroider on the blank patch of cloth?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)