|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Ruin song begin?
(a) "Here in this place."
(b) "As we all gather."
(c) "Listen, all ye people."
(d) "In the beginning."
2. Who walks through a storm to visit Kira?
(d) Matt and Branch.
3. In Chapter 12, what thread does Kira wish she had?
(a) Silk thread.
(b) Purple thread.
(c) Blue thread.
(d) White thread.
4. What frightens Kira as the Ruin song resumes after lunch?
(a) Matt disappears.
(b) She recognizes the source of the mysterious sound.
(c) She sees Annabella in the crowd.
(d) Thomas disappears.
5. Who does Matt see in the Field of Leaving in Chapter 14?
6. Where do Kira and Thomas go in Chapter 17?
(a) To Annabella's cott.
(b) To the next village.
(c) To the Fen.
(d) To the dungeons of the Edifice.
7. Where do Thomas and Kira sit during the singing of the Ruin song?
(a) In their rooms.
(b) In the front row with the crowd.
(c) On the stage near the Worship-object.
(d) Behind the stage until it is their turn to move.
8. What does Kira give Jo as she tucks her into bed in Chapter 16?
(a) A kiss.
(b) An embroidered cloth doll.
(c) Her embroidered scrap of cloth.
(d) A hug.
9. What gift does the stranger give to Kira in Chapter 21?
(a) The Book of History.
(b) The plants to make blue dye.
(c) A bag of seeds.
(d) A pot of blue dye.
10. What is unusual about Christopher's village?
(a) It is populated by injured people from other villages.
(b) It is populated by artisans and keepers of history.
(c) Everyone, even the women, can read.
(d) It is protected by the beasts of the woods.
11. How does the stranger in Chapter 21 find Kira's village?
(a) By the words to a song.
(b) By the feel of the sun on his face and the smells around him.
(c) There is a map of all the villages in the Book of History.
(d) Matt led him.
12. What do Thomas and Kira bring with them as they visit Jo in Chapter 16?
(a) Food and warm clothing for the child.
(b) The embroidered scrap of cloth and special piece of carved wood.
(c) Matt and Branch.
(d) Books and toys.
13. What title is Thomas given during the Ruin song ceremony?
(a) The Designer of the future.
(b) The Carver of the future.
(c) The Designer of the people.
(d) The Keeper of the Staff.
14. What is being constructed for Kira at the beginning of Chapter 15?
(a) A place to grow and process the plants used in dye making.
(b) A place to instruct the girls of the village.
(c) A new cott.
(d) A weaver's shed.
15. What does the storm keep Kira from doing in Chapter 12?
(a) Traveling to Annabella's house.
(d) Boiling dyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What revelation does Matt have about the beasts in the woods?
2. What comment does Jo have in Chapter 16 about the songs she sings?
3. Why isn't Kira allowed to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
4. What is Matt's "big" gift for Kira in Chapter 21?
5. According to Matt, where is Jo from?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)