|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jamison tell Kira in Chapter 14?
(a) Annabella has moved to the next village.
(b) Annabella was eaten by beasts.
(c) Annabella died in her sleep.
(d) Annabella died of the same illness that killed Kira's mother.
2. Who has Kira not seen during her stay in the Edifice?
(a) The cook.
(c) The Master Guardian.
(d) The Ruin Singer.
3. What is Matt's "big" gift for Kira in Chapter 21?
(a) A pot of blue dye.
(b) A bag of seeds.
(d) Her father, Christopher.
4. What does Kira give Jo as she tucks her into bed in Chapter 16?
(a) A hug.
(b) A kiss.
(c) Her embroidered scrap of cloth.
(d) An embroidered cloth doll.
5. What does Thomas finish in Chapter 18?
(a) The repairs to the Singer's staff.
(b) The repairs to the Singer's book.
(c) Exploring the Edifice.
(d) Kira's new cott.
6. Why isn't Kira allowed to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
(a) Matt is already in the Field watching over Annabella.
(b) Jamison tells her she doesn't have time to spare.
(c) Jamison tells her she will be tainted for the ceremony.
(d) She cannot travel outside the Edifice until after the Ruin Song.
7. How is Jo supposed to contact Thomas if she needs help?
(a) Sing a special song through the pipes.
(b) Hit the bathroom pipes with a hairbrush.
(c) Knock on her ceiling with a hairbrush.
(d) Knock on the bathroom floor with a hairbrush.
8. What title is Kira given during the Ruin song ceremony?
(a) The Designer of the people.
(b) The Weaver of the future.
(c) The Robe-threader and designer of the future.
(d) The Knitter of the past.
9. What does Kira finish in Chapter 18?
(a) The repairs on the Singer's robe.
(b) The Singer's stole.
(c) The embroidery on the Singer's cloak.
(d) The repairs on the Singer's hat.
10. How did Kira's father end up in the Field of Leaving?
(a) He limped to the Field after being injured.
(b) He was attacked and dragged forcibly to the Field.
(c) He woke up in the Field after falling during a hunt.
(d) He was mauled by a beast and left for dead in the Field.
11. Who accompanies Kira to her room after the Ruin song is over?
(a) No one.
12. How does Thomas open the locks in the Edifice?
(a) With a metal stick.
(b) By unscrewing the lock faces.
(c) With a stolen key.
(d) With a key he carved.
13. Which character once attempted to kill Christopher?
(a) Kira's father.
14. What claim does Thomas make about his and Kira's parents in Chapter 13?
(a) They were the only good people in the world.
(b) They may still be alive.
(c) They abandoned their children on purpose.
(d) Their deaths may be suspicious.
15. What is unusual about Christopher's village?
(a) Everyone, even the women, can read.
(b) It is protected by the beasts of the woods.
(c) It is populated by artisans and keepers of history.
(d) It is populated by injured people from other villages.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Kira and Thomas go in Chapter 17?
2. What revelation does Matt have about the beasts in the woods?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 13, whose voice do Kira and her friends hear speaking harshly in the lower floor of the Edifice?
4. In Chapter 12, what thread does Kira wish she had?
5. Where does Christopher ask Kira to go?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)