|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character takes Kira's place in the weaving shed?
2. Which character once attempted to kill Christopher?
(d) Kira's father.
3. In Chapter 12, what thread does Kira wish she had?
(a) Purple thread.
(b) Blue thread.
(c) White thread.
(d) Silk thread.
4. Why isn't Kira allowed to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
(a) Jamison tells her she doesn't have time to spare.
(b) Jamison tells her she will be tainted for the ceremony.
(c) She cannot travel outside the Edifice until after the Ruin Song.
(d) Matt is already in the Field watching over Annabella.
5. Who has Kira not seen during her stay in the Edifice?
(a) The Ruin Singer.
(b) The cook.
(c) The Master Guardian.
6. Where do Thomas and Kira sit during the singing of the Ruin song?
(a) In the front row with the crowd.
(b) In their rooms.
(c) On the stage near the Worship-object.
(d) Behind the stage until it is their turn to move.
7. What does Thomas recall from his childhood in the Edifice?
(a) He was taught to read by a blind man.
(b) He never went outside the Edifice.
(c) He was locked in his room when he was a little boy.
(d) He was taught to carve wood by a blind man.
8. Where does Kira want Thomas to accompany her in Chapter 15?
(a) To Matt's cott.
(b) To the next village.
(c) To Jo's room.
(d) To Annabella's cott.
9. What area do Kira and Thomas pass as they look for Matt in Chapter 17?
(a) Kira's old cott.
(b) The weaver's shed.
(c) The potter's shed.
(d) The Field of Leaving.
10. What do Thomas and Kira bring with them as they visit Jo in Chapter 16?
(a) Matt and Branch.
(b) Books and toys.
(c) Food and warm clothing for the child.
(d) The embroidered scrap of cloth and special piece of carved wood.
11. How does the stranger in Chapter 21 find Kira's village?
(a) By the words to a song.
(b) There is a map of all the villages in the Book of History.
(c) Matt led him.
(d) By the feel of the sun on his face and the smells around him.
12. What has been brought to the Edifice from Annabella's cott?
(b) Annabella's blue flowers.
(c) Annabella's dog.
(d) All of Annabella's dyeing materials.
13. At the beginning of Chapter 13, whose voice do Kira and her friends hear speaking harshly in the lower floor of the Edifice?
(a) An unknown man's voice.
(b) Jamison's voice.
(c) Annabella's voice.
(d) Christopher's voice.
14. What does Kira give Jo as she tucks her into bed in Chapter 16?
(a) An embroidered cloth doll.
(b) A hug.
(c) A kiss.
(d) Her embroidered scrap of cloth.
15. What infirmity does the stranger waiting in Kira's room after the singing of the Ruin song have?
(a) A mauled face.
(b) A crippled leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Kira's father manage to escape the Field of Leaving?
2. What claim does Thomas make about his and Kira's parents in Chapter 13?
3. Who visits Kira in her room after she returns from her exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice?
4. What "small" gift does Matt bring to Kira in Chapter 20?
5. According to Matt's brother, where has Matt gone?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)