|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Kira and Thomas go in Chapter 17?
(a) To the next village.
(b) To the dungeons of the Edifice.
(c) To the Fen.
(d) To Annabella's cott.
2. How does Matt's mother react to her son's absence?
(a) She is mourning the loss of her son.
(b) She didn't know he was missing.
(c) She begs Thomas to find Matt.
(d) She is glad he is gone.
3. What gift does the stranger give to Kira in Chapter 21?
(a) The plants to make blue dye.
(b) A pot of blue dye.
(c) A bag of seeds.
(d) The Book of History.
4. Where does Kira want Thomas to accompany her in Chapter 15?
(a) To Jo's room.
(b) To Annabella's cott.
(c) To Matt's cott.
(d) To the next village.
5. What is Matt's "big" gift for Kira in Chapter 21?
(a) A pot of blue dye.
(c) A bag of seeds.
(d) Her father, Christopher.
6. What is being constructed for Kira at the beginning of Chapter 15?
(a) A place to grow and process the plants used in dye making.
(b) A weaver's shed.
(c) A place to instruct the girls of the village.
(d) A new cott.
7. What is the atmosphere in the Council Edifice as people gather for the singing of the Ruin song?
(a) Joyous and noisy.
(b) Raucous and rowdy.
(c) Filled with wailing and sadness.
(d) Solemn and respectful.
8. Who/what does Kira ask about Matt's location?
(c) The embroidered scrap of cloth.
9. What do Thomas and Kira bring with them as they visit Jo in Chapter 16?
(a) The embroidered scrap of cloth and special piece of carved wood.
(b) Matt and Branch.
(c) Books and toys.
(d) Food and warm clothing for the child.
10. Which character takes Kira's place in the weaving shed?
11. What does the storm keep Kira from doing in Chapter 12?
(b) Traveling to Annabella's house.
(d) Boiling dyes.
12. What is unusual about Christopher's village?
(a) It is protected by the beasts of the woods.
(b) It is populated by artisans and keepers of history.
(c) Everyone, even the women, can read.
(d) It is populated by injured people from other villages.
13. Who does Matt see in the Field of Leaving in Chapter 14?
14. How did Kira's father manage to escape the Field of Leaving?
(a) He struggled to stand and walked to Annabella's cott.
(b) Jamison set him on a horse headed through the woods.
(c) Strangers came and took him away to a different village.
(d) Annabella came and took him to her cott.
15. What frightens Kira as the Ruin song resumes after lunch?
(a) She sees Annabella in the crowd.
(b) She recognizes the source of the mysterious sound.
(c) Thomas disappears.
(d) Matt disappears.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kira speak to through a door keyhole?
2. What "small" gift does Matt bring to Kira in Chapter 20?
3. What comment does Marlena make about Jo?
4. How did Kira's father end up in the Field of Leaving?
5. What infirmity does the stranger waiting in Kira's room after the singing of the Ruin song have?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)