|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has been brought to the Edifice from Annabella's cott?
(a) All of Annabella's dyeing materials.
(b) Annabella's dog.
(d) Annabella's blue flowers.
2. In Chapter 12, what sound has Thomas heard at night?
(a) An electronic humming.
(b) A crying child.
(c) A metallic scraping.
(d) An eerie singing.
3. What valuable skill does Kira believe Matt possesses?
(a) The ability to make blue dye.
(b) The ability to make people laugh.
(c) The ability to prophesy.
(d) The ability to grow blue flowers.
4. In the beginning of Chapter 17, how long has Matt been missing?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) A month.
(c) Two days.
(d) Nine days.
5. In Chapter 12, what thread does Kira wish she had?
(a) White thread.
(b) Silk thread.
(c) Blue thread.
(d) Purple thread.
6. Where do Kira and Thomas go in Chapter 17?
(a) To Annabella's cott.
(b) To the Fen.
(c) To the dungeons of the Edifice.
(d) To the next village.
7. How does the stranger in Chapter 21 find Kira's village?
(a) Matt led him.
(b) There is a map of all the villages in the Book of History.
(c) By the feel of the sun on his face and the smells around him.
(d) By the words to a song.
8. What claim does Thomas make about his and Kira's parents in Chapter 13?
(a) They were the only good people in the world.
(b) Their deaths may be suspicious.
(c) They may still be alive.
(d) They abandoned their children on purpose.
9. What does Jamison recite for Kira in Chapter 18?
(a) Passages from the Ruin song.
(b) The song of the Great Hunt.
(c) Poems from before the Ruin.
(d) The rules of the Edifice.
10. How will Kira know what to embroider on the blank patch of cloth?
(a) Annabella will tell her what to embroider.
(b) The guardians will tell her what to embroider.
(c) Her fingers will know.
(d) She will dream her designs.
11. How does Thomas open the locks in the Edifice?
(a) By unscrewing the lock faces.
(b) With a stolen key.
(c) With a metal stick.
(d) With a key he carved.
12. What does Jamison tell Kira in Chapter 14?
(a) Annabella died in her sleep.
(b) Annabella has moved to the next village.
(c) Annabella was eaten by beasts.
(d) Annabella died of the same illness that killed Kira's mother.
13. How is Jo supposed to contact Thomas if she needs help?
(a) Knock on her ceiling with a hairbrush.
(b) Knock on the bathroom floor with a hairbrush.
(c) Sing a special song through the pipes.
(d) Hit the bathroom pipes with a hairbrush.
14. Who has Kira not seen during her stay in the Edifice?
(a) The Ruin Singer.
(c) The Master Guardian.
(d) The cook.
15. Why isn't Kira allowed to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
(a) Jamison tells her she will be tainted for the ceremony.
(b) Matt is already in the Field watching over Annabella.
(c) She cannot travel outside the Edifice until after the Ruin Song.
(d) Jamison tells her she doesn't have time to spare.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title is Thomas given during the Ruin song ceremony?
2. What unusual sound does Kira hear at the beginning of the Ruin song ceremony?
3. What revelation does Matt have about the beasts in the woods?
4. What do Thomas and Kira bring with them as they visit Jo in Chapter 16?
5. Who visits Kira in her room after she returns from her exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)