|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the atmosphere in the Council Edifice as people gather for the singing of the Ruin song?
(a) Filled with wailing and sadness.
(b) Joyous and noisy.
(c) Solemn and respectful.
(d) Raucous and rowdy.
2. Who accompanies Kira to her room after the Ruin song is over?
(b) No one.
3. How does Matt describe the people he met on his journey?
(a) Broken, but quiet and nice.
(b) Joyful and strong.
(c) Tall and powerful.
(d) Dark and mysterious.
4. What valuable skill does Kira believe Matt possesses?
(a) The ability to prophesy.
(b) The ability to make blue dye.
(c) The ability to make people laugh.
(d) The ability to grow blue flowers.
5. Who walks through a storm to visit Kira?
(d) Matt and Branch.
6. What claim does Thomas make about his and Kira's parents in Chapter 13?
(a) They may still be alive.
(b) They were the only good people in the world.
(c) They abandoned their children on purpose.
(d) Their deaths may be suspicious.
7. What unusual sound does Kira hear at the beginning of the Ruin song ceremony?
(a) An echoing ring.
(b) A metallic scraping.
(c) A soft buzzing.
(d) An electronic beeping.
8. What does Jamison tell Kira in Chapter 14?
(a) Annabella was eaten by beasts.
(b) Annabella died of the same illness that killed Kira's mother.
(c) Annabella died in her sleep.
(d) Annabella has moved to the next village.
9. According to Matt, where is Jo from?
(a) The Fen.
(b) The next village.
(c) The mountains.
(d) From "far yonder."
10. In Chapter 12, what sound has Thomas heard at night?
(a) An electronic humming.
(b) A metallic scraping.
(c) A crying child.
(d) An eerie singing.
11. Where do Kira and Thomas go in Chapter 17?
(a) To the next village.
(b) To the Fen.
(c) To Annabella's cott.
(d) To the dungeons of the Edifice.
12. How is Jo supposed to contact Thomas if she needs help?
(a) Knock on the bathroom floor with a hairbrush.
(b) Hit the bathroom pipes with a hairbrush.
(c) Sing a special song through the pipes.
(d) Knock on her ceiling with a hairbrush.
13. What does the storm keep Kira from doing in Chapter 12?
(a) Boiling dyes.
(d) Traveling to Annabella's house.
14. Why isn't Kira allowed to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
(a) Jamison tells her she doesn't have time to spare.
(b) Jamison tells her she will be tainted for the ceremony.
(c) Matt is already in the Field watching over Annabella.
(d) She cannot travel outside the Edifice until after the Ruin Song.
15. How does the Singer and the crowd end the Ruin song?
(a) "Thus says the song."
(b) "Amen. So be it."
(c) "Listen, all ye people."
(d) "Listen, and remember."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kira give Jo as she tucks her into bed in Chapter 16?
2. What does Jamison recite for Kira in Chapter 18?
3. Where does Kira want Thomas to accompany her in Chapter 15?
4. Which character once attempted to kill Christopher?
5. How does the stranger in Chapter 21 find Kira's village?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)