|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kira give Jo as she tucks her into bed in Chapter 16?
(a) A kiss.
(b) Her embroidered scrap of cloth.
(c) A hug.
(d) An embroidered cloth doll.
2. What does Thomas recall from his childhood in the Edifice?
(a) He was taught to carve wood by a blind man.
(b) He was locked in his room when he was a little boy.
(c) He never went outside the Edifice.
(d) He was taught to read by a blind man.
3. What gift does the stranger give to Kira in Chapter 21?
(a) A pot of blue dye.
(b) The plants to make blue dye.
(c) A bag of seeds.
(d) The Book of History.
4. Why isn't Kira allowed to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
(a) Jamison tells her she doesn't have time to spare.
(b) She cannot travel outside the Edifice until after the Ruin Song.
(c) Jamison tells her she will be tainted for the ceremony.
(d) Matt is already in the Field watching over Annabella.
5. What do Kira and her friends hear a child doing while on the lower floor of the Edifice in Chapter 13?
6. How does the stranger in Chapter 21 find Kira's village?
(a) Matt led him.
(b) By the feel of the sun on his face and the smells around him.
(c) By the words to a song.
(d) There is a map of all the villages in the Book of History.
7. Who visits Kira in her room after she returns from her exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice?
8. According to Matt's brother, where has Matt gone?
(a) On the great hunt.
(b) To find a gift of blue for Kira.
(c) Over yonder to the next village.
(d) To find Kira's father.
9. Where do Thomas and Kira sit during the singing of the Ruin song?
(a) Behind the stage until it is their turn to move.
(b) In the front row with the crowd.
(c) On the stage near the Worship-object.
(d) In their rooms.
10. What is the atmosphere in the Council Edifice as people gather for the singing of the Ruin song?
(a) Filled with wailing and sadness.
(b) Solemn and respectful.
(c) Raucous and rowdy.
(d) Joyous and noisy.
11. Where does Kira's friend Marlena work?
(a) In the Edifice.
(b) In the weaving shed.
(c) In the potter's shed.
(d) In the Fen.
12. Which character once attempted to kill Christopher?
(b) Kira's father.
13. Who does Matt see in the Field of Leaving in Chapter 14?
14. What does Jamison tell Kira in Chapter 14?
(a) Annabella died of the same illness that killed Kira's mother.
(b) Annabella died in her sleep.
(c) Annabella has moved to the next village.
(d) Annabella was eaten by beasts.
15. How did Kira's father manage to escape the Field of Leaving?
(a) Strangers came and took him away to a different village.
(b) Annabella came and took him to her cott.
(c) Jamison set him on a horse headed through the woods.
(d) He struggled to stand and walked to Annabella's cott.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Matt describe the people he met on his journey?
2. What does the storm keep Kira from doing in Chapter 12?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 17, how long has Matt been missing?
4. What comment does Marlena make about Jo?
5. How does Thomas open the locks in the Edifice?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)