|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kira do while she waits for the storm in Chapter 12 to pass?
(a) Embroiders her mother's dress.
(c) Cleans the bathroom.
(d) Explores the Edifice with her friends.
2. Where does Kira's friend Marlena work?
(a) In the Edifice.
(b) In the Fen.
(c) In the weaving shed.
(d) In the potter's shed.
3. What claim does Thomas make about his and Kira's parents in Chapter 13?
(a) They were the only good people in the world.
(b) They abandoned their children on purpose.
(c) They may still be alive.
(d) Their deaths may be suspicious.
4. Who does Kira speak to through a door keyhole?
5. What does Kira finish in Chapter 18?
(a) The Singer's stole.
(b) The repairs on the Singer's hat.
(c) The embroidery on the Singer's cloak.
(d) The repairs on the Singer's robe.
6. What do Kira and her friends hear a child doing while on the lower floor of the Edifice in Chapter 13?
7. Who visits Kira in her room after she returns from her exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice?
8. What comment does Jo have in Chapter 16 about the songs she sings?
(a) She does not enjoy singing the songs the Guardians teach her.
(b) Her songs are sung to her by a bluebird.
(c) She doesn't learn songs, she just "knows" them.
(d) She loves to sing for Jamison.
9. What political office was Kira's father to be appointed to before his "death"?
(a) The Council of Guardians.
(b) The Village Council.
(c) Keeper of the Song.
(d) Keeper of the Staff.
10. How did Kira's father manage to escape the Field of Leaving?
(a) Jamison set him on a horse headed through the woods.
(b) Strangers came and took him away to a different village.
(c) Annabella came and took him to her cott.
(d) He struggled to stand and walked to Annabella's cott.
11. What do Thomas and Kira bring with them as they visit Jo in Chapter 16?
(a) The embroidered scrap of cloth and special piece of carved wood.
(b) Matt and Branch.
(c) Food and warm clothing for the child.
(d) Books and toys.
12. How did Kira's father end up in the Field of Leaving?
(a) He was attacked and dragged forcibly to the Field.
(b) He was mauled by a beast and left for dead in the Field.
(c) He woke up in the Field after falling during a hunt.
(d) He limped to the Field after being injured.
13. What comment does Marlena make about Jo?
(a) She was born a prophet.
(b) Jo's parents had too many children to keep.
(c) She is Jo's sister.
(d) Her songs were not only beautiful, but prophetic.
14. What does the storm keep Kira from doing in Chapter 12?
(b) Boiling dyes.
(d) Traveling to Annabella's house.
15. Why isn't Kira allowed to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
(a) She cannot travel outside the Edifice until after the Ruin Song.
(b) Matt is already in the Field watching over Annabella.
(c) Jamison tells her she will be tainted for the ceremony.
(d) Jamison tells her she doesn't have time to spare.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 17, how long has Matt been missing?
2. How does Matt describe the people he met on his journey?
3. In Chapter 12, what thread does Kira wish she had?
4. Who/what does Kira ask about Matt's location?
5. What has been brought to the Edifice from Annabella's cott?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)