|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Thomas and Kira bring with them as they visit Jo in Chapter 16?
(a) Matt and Branch.
(b) Food and warm clothing for the child.
(c) The embroidered scrap of cloth and special piece of carved wood.
(d) Books and toys.
2. Where do Kira and Thomas go in Chapter 17?
(a) To the dungeons of the Edifice.
(b) To Annabella's cott.
(c) To the next village.
(d) To the Fen.
3. What is the atmosphere in the Council Edifice as people gather for the singing of the Ruin song?
(a) Raucous and rowdy.
(b) Joyous and noisy.
(c) Filled with wailing and sadness.
(d) Solemn and respectful.
4. What "small" gift does Matt bring to Kira in Chapter 20?
(a) A blue flower.
(b) A scrap of blue cloth.
(c) A bundle of white threads.
(d) A bundle of blue threads.
5. How does the Ruin song begin?
(a) "Listen, all ye people."
(b) "In the beginning."
(c) "As we all gather."
(d) "Here in this place."
6. What is being constructed for Kira at the beginning of Chapter 15?
(a) A place to instruct the girls of the village.
(b) A place to grow and process the plants used in dye making.
(c) A new cott.
(d) A weaver's shed.
7. According to Matt's brother, where has Matt gone?
(a) Over yonder to the next village.
(b) To find Kira's father.
(c) On the great hunt.
(d) To find a gift of blue for Kira.
8. Who has Kira not seen during her stay in the Edifice?
(a) The Master Guardian.
(c) The cook.
(d) The Ruin Singer.
9. What does Jamison expect Kira to tell everyone with her needle and thread?
(a) Whatever the guardians say.
(b) The past.
(c) The future.
(d) Her story.
10. Where does Kira's friend Marlena work?
(a) In the potter's shed.
(b) In the Edifice.
(c) In the weaving shed.
(d) In the Fen.
11. How does Matt's mother react to her son's absence?
(a) She begs Thomas to find Matt.
(b) She is glad he is gone.
(c) She is mourning the loss of her son.
(d) She didn't know he was missing.
12. Who does Kira speak to through a door keyhole?
13. What does Kira give Jo as she tucks her into bed in Chapter 16?
(a) A kiss.
(b) A hug.
(c) Her embroidered scrap of cloth.
(d) An embroidered cloth doll.
14. How did Kira's father manage to escape the Field of Leaving?
(a) Jamison set him on a horse headed through the woods.
(b) Annabella came and took him to her cott.
(c) Strangers came and took him away to a different village.
(d) He struggled to stand and walked to Annabella's cott.
15. In Chapter 12, what thread does Kira wish she had?
(a) White thread.
(b) Blue thread.
(c) Silk thread.
(d) Purple thread.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Kira's father end up in the Field of Leaving?
2. What do Kira and her friends hear a child doing while on the lower floor of the Edifice in Chapter 13?
3. While learning the plants used to create cloth dyes, what has Kira also been learning?
4. How does Matt describe the people he met on his journey?
5. After her visit to Jo in Chapter 16, what does Kira do once she is back in her own bed?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)