|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who walks through a storm to visit Kira?
(c) Matt and Branch.
2. Who has Kira not seen during her stay in the Edifice?
(a) The cook.
(b) The Master Guardian.
(d) The Ruin Singer.
3. How did Kira's father end up in the Field of Leaving?
(a) He limped to the Field after being injured.
(b) He was attacked and dragged forcibly to the Field.
(c) He was mauled by a beast and left for dead in the Field.
(d) He woke up in the Field after falling during a hunt.
4. What does Kira give Jo as she tucks her into bed in Chapter 16?
(a) A hug.
(b) A kiss.
(c) Her embroidered scrap of cloth.
(d) An embroidered cloth doll.
5. According to Matt, where is Jo from?
(a) The next village.
(b) The Fen.
(c) From "far yonder."
(d) The mountains.
6. Which character arrives late for the singing of the Ruin song?
7. How does Matt describe the people he met on his journey?
(a) Broken, but quiet and nice.
(b) Tall and powerful.
(c) Dark and mysterious.
(d) Joyful and strong.
8. How does Thomas open the locks in the Edifice?
(a) With a metal stick.
(b) With a stolen key.
(c) By unscrewing the lock faces.
(d) With a key he carved.
9. What does Thomas recall from his childhood in the Edifice?
(a) He never went outside the Edifice.
(b) He was taught to carve wood by a blind man.
(c) He was locked in his room when he was a little boy.
(d) He was taught to read by a blind man.
10. How is Jo supposed to contact Thomas if she needs help?
(a) Knock on her ceiling with a hairbrush.
(b) Hit the bathroom pipes with a hairbrush.
(c) Knock on the bathroom floor with a hairbrush.
(d) Sing a special song through the pipes.
11. What "small" gift does Matt bring to Kira in Chapter 20?
(a) A scrap of blue cloth.
(b) A bundle of blue threads.
(c) A blue flower.
(d) A bundle of white threads.
12. What is Matt's "big" gift for Kira in Chapter 21?
(a) Her father, Christopher.
(b) A bag of seeds.
(c) A pot of blue dye.
13. What does Thomas finish in Chapter 18?
(a) Kira's new cott.
(b) The repairs to the Singer's staff.
(c) Exploring the Edifice.
(d) The repairs to the Singer's book.
14. What unusual sound does Kira hear at the beginning of the Ruin song ceremony?
(a) An echoing ring.
(b) A soft buzzing.
(c) A metallic scraping.
(d) An electronic beeping.
15. In Chapter 12, what sound has Thomas heard at night?
(a) A crying child.
(b) A metallic scraping.
(c) An electronic humming.
(d) An eerie singing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Kira in her room after she returns from her exploration of the lower floor of the Edifice?
2. What does Jamison tell Kira in Chapter 14?
3. What title is Thomas given during the Ruin song ceremony?
4. Which character once attempted to kill Christopher?
5. How does the stranger in Chapter 21 find Kira's village?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)