|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What valuable skill does Kira believe Matt possesses?
(a) The ability to grow blue flowers.
(b) The ability to prophesy.
(c) The ability to make people laugh.
(d) The ability to make blue dye.
2. Why isn't Kira allowed to watch over Annabella's body in the Field of Leaving?
(a) Jamison tells her she doesn't have time to spare.
(b) She cannot travel outside the Edifice until after the Ruin Song.
(c) Jamison tells her she will be tainted for the ceremony.
(d) Matt is already in the Field watching over Annabella.
3. Who walks through a storm to visit Kira?
(c) Matt and Branch.
4. In Chapter 12, what thread does Kira wish she had?
(a) White thread.
(b) Blue thread.
(c) Purple thread.
(d) Silk thread.
5. Who does Matt see in the Field of Leaving in Chapter 14?
6. What does Kira give Jo as she tucks her into bed in Chapter 16?
(a) Her embroidered scrap of cloth.
(b) A hug.
(c) An embroidered cloth doll.
(d) A kiss.
7. What is Matt's "big" gift for Kira in Chapter 21?
(a) Her father, Christopher.
(b) A pot of blue dye.
(d) A bag of seeds.
8. What does Kira do while she waits for the storm in Chapter 12 to pass?
(a) Explores the Edifice with her friends.
(b) Embroiders her mother's dress.
(d) Cleans the bathroom.
9. How does Matt's mother react to her son's absence?
(a) She begs Thomas to find Matt.
(b) She didn't know he was missing.
(c) She is glad he is gone.
(d) She is mourning the loss of her son.
10. What do Kira and her friends hear a child doing while on the lower floor of the Edifice in Chapter 13?
11. How does the Singer and the crowd end the Ruin song?
(a) "Listen, and remember."
(b) "Thus says the song."
(c) "Amen. So be it."
(d) "Listen, all ye people."
12. What title is Thomas given during the Ruin song ceremony?
(a) The Designer of the people.
(b) The Keeper of the Staff.
(c) The Carver of the future.
(d) The Designer of the future.
13. What does Thomas finish in Chapter 18?
(a) Exploring the Edifice.
(b) The repairs to the Singer's staff.
(c) The repairs to the Singer's book.
(d) Kira's new cott.
14. What comment does Marlena make about Jo?
(a) She was born a prophet.
(b) Jo's parents had too many children to keep.
(c) Her songs were not only beautiful, but prophetic.
(d) She is Jo's sister.
15. While learning the plants used to create cloth dyes, what has Kira also been learning?
(a) How to tell the future.
(b) How to sing.
(c) How to carve.
(d) How to read.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Christopher ask Kira to go?
2. What does Thomas recall from his childhood in the Edifice?
3. What frightens Kira as the Ruin song resumes after lunch?
4. How does the stranger in Chapter 21 find Kira's village?
5. Who/what does Kira ask about Matt's location?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)