|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comment does Jo have in Chapter 16 about the songs she sings?
(a) Her songs are sung to her by a bluebird.
(b) She loves to sing for Jamison.
(c) She does not enjoy singing the songs the Guardians teach her.
(d) She doesn't learn songs, she just "knows" them.
2. In the beginning of Chapter 17, how long has Matt been missing?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Nine days.
(c) A month.
(d) Two days.
3. What valuable skill does Kira believe Matt possesses?
(a) The ability to make people laugh.
(b) The ability to make blue dye.
(c) The ability to grow blue flowers.
(d) The ability to prophesy.
4. In Chapter 12, what thread does Kira wish she had?
(a) White thread.
(b) Purple thread.
(c) Blue thread.
(d) Silk thread.
5. Which character once attempted to kill Christopher?
(a) Kira's father.
6. What is the atmosphere in the Council Edifice as people gather for the singing of the Ruin song?
(a) Solemn and respectful.
(b) Filled with wailing and sadness.
(c) Joyous and noisy.
(d) Raucous and rowdy.
7. In Chapter 12, what sound has Thomas heard at night?
(a) A metallic scraping.
(b) An eerie singing.
(c) An electronic humming.
(d) A crying child.
8. What is Matt's "big" gift for Kira in Chapter 21?
(b) Her father, Christopher.
(c) A pot of blue dye.
(d) A bag of seeds.
9. What political office was Kira's father to be appointed to before his "death"?
(a) The Village Council.
(b) Keeper of the Staff.
(c) Keeper of the Song.
(d) The Council of Guardians.
10. How does the stranger in Chapter 21 find Kira's village?
(a) By the feel of the sun on his face and the smells around him.
(b) By the words to a song.
(c) Matt led him.
(d) There is a map of all the villages in the Book of History.
11. How does Matt's mother react to her son's absence?
(a) She begs Thomas to find Matt.
(b) She is mourning the loss of her son.
(c) She didn't know he was missing.
(d) She is glad he is gone.
12. Where does Kira want Thomas to accompany her in Chapter 15?
(a) To Annabella's cott.
(b) To the next village.
(c) To Jo's room.
(d) To Matt's cott.
13. How did Kira's father end up in the Field of Leaving?
(a) He limped to the Field after being injured.
(b) He woke up in the Field after falling during a hunt.
(c) He was attacked and dragged forcibly to the Field.
(d) He was mauled by a beast and left for dead in the Field.
14. What do Thomas and Kira bring with them as they visit Jo in Chapter 16?
(a) Matt and Branch.
(b) Food and warm clothing for the child.
(c) The embroidered scrap of cloth and special piece of carved wood.
(d) Books and toys.
15. Who does Kira speak to through a door keyhole?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kira do while she waits for the storm in Chapter 12 to pass?
2. Who has Kira not seen during her stay in the Edifice?
3. Where are the parents of the child heard in Chapter 13?
4. What does Jamison recite for Kira in Chapter 18?
5. What unusual sound does Kira hear at the beginning of the Ruin song ceremony?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)