|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Thomas become an orphan?
(a) His mother was killed by lightning and his father on a hunt.
(b) His mother abandoned him on the steps of the Edifice.
(c) Both of his parents were killed by lightning.
(d) Both of his parents died on a hunt.
2. What shocks Kira about her new accommodations in the Edifice?
(a) The closets.
(b) The indoor plumbing.
(c) The lamps.
(d) The electricity.
3. What object is Kira commanded by the Council of Guardians to mend?
(a) The singer's cloak.
(b) The singer's stole.
(c) The singer's hat.
(d) The singer's robe.
4. What gift does Thomas give Kira?
(a) An intricately carved box.
(b) A carved walking stick.
(c) A hand mirror.
(d) A colorful scarf.
5. Why does Kira decide to visit Annabella?
(a) To learn the process of dyeing cloth.
(b) To learn the secrets of the Guardians.
(c) To find her father.
(d) Because Annabella is her grandmother.
6. What deformity does Kira suffer from?
(b) A crippled leg.
(c) A deformed spine.
(d) A crippled arm.
7. What other object of her mother's does Kira find in Matt's bundle?
(a) Her diary.
(b) Her wedding ring.
(c) Her Bible.
(d) Her threading frame.
8. What do Vandara and the other women threaten Kira with in Chapter 2?
9. What does one tender assist Kira with on her first morning in the Edifice?
(a) The daily ceremonial rituals.
(b) The maze of hallways in the Edifice.
(c) Finding her way to the kitchen.
(d) The operation of the bathroom.
10. Where will the weaver with the broken arm probably be sent?
(a) To the Council of Guardians.
(b) To the healer.
(c) To the Field of Leaving.
(d) To the next village.
11. What does Jamison do while Vandara is presenting her accusation?
(a) Watches Kira.
(c) Takes notes.
12. What does Matt offer to do for Kira in Chapter 6?
(a) Gather the remaining plants from her garden.
(b) Burn down Vandara's cott.
(c) Carry her possessions upstairs to her new quarters.
(d) Send a message to her father.
13. What does Jamison question Kira about in Chapter 5?
(a) Her skills and the training she received from her mother.
(b) Her knowledge of reading and writing.
(c) Her memories of her father.
(d) Her friend, Matt.
14. What crime has Vandara been accused of in the past?
(a) Murdering her mother.
(b) Poisoning her own child.
(c) Poisioning her husband.
(d) Stealing cloth from the weavers.
15. Who are the tenders?
(a) Servants who care for the orphans in the Edifice.
(b) Boys training to be Guardians.
(c) Acolytes who participate in religious ceremonies.
(d) Young boys who tend the flocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Kira show her mother just before she died?
2. What warning does Jamison give Kira about traveling in the woods?
3. According to village custom, what happens to a person's property once he or she dies from illness?
4. What is Kira's job in the Edifice?
5. Which character is allowed to speak first before the Council of Guardians in Chapter 3?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)