|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What building does Kira visit after leaving the Council Edifice?
(a) Matt's cott.
(b) The weaving shed.
(c) Jamison's cott.
(d) The potter's shed.
2. Who is Thomas?
(a) Jamison's arch rival.
(b) A boy Kira's age who also lives in the Edifice.
(c) One of the Guardians.
(d) A young tender.
3. What other object of her mother's does Kira find in Matt's bundle?
(a) Her threading frame.
(b) Her diary.
(c) Her Bible.
(d) Her wedding ring.
4. By law, what punishment does Kira's society give for murder?
(b) Death of the murderer.
(c) 40 lashes with a whip.
(d) Imprisionment for life.
5. What do some of the villagers want to build on Kira's property?
(a) A corral.
(b) A bonfire.
(c) A new cott.
(d) A weaving shed.
6. Which character is waiting with Matt for Kira at the Edifice?
7. What does the headquarters of the Council of Guardians resemble?
(a) A library.
(b) A bank.
(c) A skyscraper.
(d) A church.
8. What does Kira do when she is threatened by Vandara and the other women in Chapter 2?
(a) She runs and hides in Matt's cott.
(b) She hides in the Council Edifice.
(c) She claims her right to a hearing before the Council of Guardians.
(d) She fights back with a stone knife.
9. Where is Matt's father?
(a) In the Fen.
(b) In the Field of Leaving.
(c) As far as Matt knows, he does not have a father.
(d) In prison.
10. Who accompanies Kira to Annabella's house in Chapter 8?
(c) No one.
(d) Matt and Branch.
11. Why doesn't Kira look at the list of names Thomas writes down?
(a) In her society, women are forbidden to learn how to read.
(b) She is embarassed to be unable to read.
(c) She is distracted by a metallic scraping sound.
(d) She is looking at his blue eyes.
12. Where do the women of the village plan to take Kira?
(a) To the next village.
(b) To the woods.
(c) Before the Council of Guardians.
(d) To the Field of Leaving.
13. What claim does Annabella make in Chapter 11 that shocks Kira?
(a) Jamison is her father.
(b) Blue dye does not exist.
(c) There are no beasts in the forest.
(d) She will forge the future of their people.
14. What does Jamison question Kira about in Chapter 5?
(a) Her friend, Matt.
(b) Her memories of her father.
(c) Her skills and the training she received from her mother.
(d) Her knowledge of reading and writing.
15. What crime has Vandara been accused of in the past?
(a) Stealing cloth from the weavers.
(b) Poisoning her own child.
(c) Murdering her mother.
(d) Poisioning her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Kira not required to defend herself before the Council of Guardians?
2. What gift does Thomas give Kira?
3. What is worn during the singing of the Ruin Song?
4. What does Annabella teach?
5. How is Vandara dressed as she presents herself before the Council of Guardians?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)