|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to local law, who may be appointed to defend Kira?
(a) A family member.
(b) A council member.
(c) Any male villager over the age of 18.
(d) A friend.
2. What does Kira sleep with the night after she is frightened along the path to Annabella's house?
(a) Her scrap of embroidered cloth.
(b) A hunting knife.
(c) Her mother's scarf.
(d) A child's doll.
3. What does Matt do in Chapter 9 that worries Kira?
(a) Tries to find his father.
(b) Chooses a spear to go on a hunt.
(c) Searches for "blue".
(d) Travels to the next village.
4. How do the members of the council respond to Kira's ritual actions in Chapter 3?
(a) They frown.
(b) They nod their approval.
(c) They chuckle.
(d) They scold her for her clumsiness.
5. In Chapter 4, what service does Jamison provide Kira?
(a) He serves as her defender.
(b) He advises her defender.
(c) He provides her with lodging.
(d) He gives her water.
6. Who accompanies Kira to Annabella's house in Chapter 8?
(b) No one.
(d) Matt and Branch.
7. Which council member knew Kira's father?
8. What does Kira discover is still intact in Chapter 2 when she returns home?
(a) Her loom.
(b) Her cott.
(c) Her well.
(d) Her garden.
9. According to village custom, what happens to a person's property once he or she dies from illness?
(a) The Council of Guardians collects one-tenth of the property.
(b) All property and possessions are divided among the villagers.
(c) All property and possessions are burned.
(d) All property and possessions are divided among relatives.
10. What comforts Kira as she falls asleep in her new bed in the Edifice?
(a) The smell of her mother's cloth.
(b) An embroidered scrap of cloth.
(c) The sounds of the night.
(d) Thoughts of her father.
11. What does Matt cover his body with in Chapter 10?
(b) Swamp grass.
12. What warning does Jamison give Kira about traveling in the woods?
(a) Stay on the path.
(b) Avoid the blue flowers.
(c) Always travel with someone else.
(d) Travel only during the day.
13. What does one tender assist Kira with on her first morning in the Edifice?
(a) The operation of the bathroom.
(b) The daily ceremonial rituals.
(c) Finding her way to the kitchen.
(d) The maze of hallways in the Edifice.
14. What verdict does the Council of Guardians render about Kira's case?
(a) Kira is to stay in the Council Edifice and Vandara is given Kira's land.
(b) Kira is to be sent to the next village.
(c) Kira is to stay in the Council Edifice and the Guardians will take her property.
(d) Vandara is to be sent to the Field of Leaving.
15. What piece of jewelry of does Kira find in Matt's bundle?
(a) Her father's ring.
(b) Her mother's pendant.
(c) Her mother's bracelet.
(d) Her baby bracelet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kira do when Vandara and the village women leave?
2. What does Annabella give Kira as a parting gift?
3. What does Kira realize she has never seen either dead or alive after she returns to the Edifice in Chapter 11?
4. Why does Kira only eat half of her meal provided during the trial in Chapter 4?
5. What are Matt and his friends doing while Kira is on trial?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)