|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other object of her mother's does Kira find in Matt's bundle?
(a) Her diary.
(b) Her Bible.
(c) Her threading frame.
(d) Her wedding ring.
2. According to local law, who may be appointed to defend Kira?
(a) A council member.
(b) A family member.
(c) Any male villager over the age of 18.
(d) A friend.
3. According to village custom, what happens to a person's property once he or she dies from illness?
(a) All property and possessions are divided among relatives.
(b) All property and possessions are burned.
(c) All property and possessions are divided among the villagers.
(d) The Council of Guardians collects one-tenth of the property.
4. Which character is waiting for Kira during the trial's lunch break in Chapter 4?
5. Why isn't Matt allowed to enter the Field of Leaving?
(a) He has no relatives currently in the Field.
(b) He is too young.
(c) He was born under an unlucky omen.
(d) He does not belong to the village.
6. How does Kira calm her nerves during the trial?
(a) By mentally reciting plant names and uses.
(b) By rubbing her hands.
(c) By stroking an embroidered scrap of cloth.
(d) By running her hands though her hair.
7. What does Kira harvest from her mother's garden in Chapter 9?
(a) Flowers for making blue dye.
(b) Plants used to create dyes.
(c) The rest of her carrots and potatoes.
(d) Onions, to make yellow.
8. Where does Kira's friend Matt live?
(a) In the woods.
(b) In the Fen.
(c) In the village.
(d) In the Edifice.
9. Why do Vandara and the other women think Kira is useless?
(a) Because Kira is crippled.
(b) Because Kira cannot cook.
(c) Because Kira has no visible talents.
(d) Because Kira is unmarried.
10. What color are the threads in Kira's worktable drawer?
(b) All colors, except blue.
11. What is worn during the singing of the Ruin Song?
(a) The singer's hat.
(b) The singer's stole.
(c) The singer's cloak.
(d) The singer's robe.
12. What are Matt and his friends doing while Kira is on trial?
(a) Cooking a meal for Kira.
(b) Gathering saplings to make her a new cott.
(c) Praying that Kira will not be put in the Field of Leaving.
(d) Planning Kira's escape.
13. Why does Kira decide to visit Annabella?
(a) To learn the secrets of the Guardians.
(b) Because Annabella is her grandmother.
(c) To learn the process of dyeing cloth.
(d) To find her father.
14. What does Annabella give Kira to help her calm down in Chapter 11?
(b) Herbs from her garden.
(c) A cup of tea.
(d) A scrap of embroidered cloth.
15. How did Thomas become an orphan?
(a) His mother was killed by lightning and his father on a hunt.
(b) Both of his parents died on a hunt.
(c) Both of his parents were killed by lightning.
(d) His mother abandoned him on the steps of the Edifice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Matt never been given?
2. How long does Kira have to complete her task for the Council of Guardians?
3. Where is Kira's father in Chapter 1?
4. What does Annabella teach?
5. What object is Kira commanded by the Council of Guardians to mend?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)