|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why isn't Matt allowed to enter the Field of Leaving?
(a) He does not belong to the village.
(b) He was born under an unlucky omen.
(c) He is too young.
(d) He has no relatives currently in the Field.
2. How many men are on the Council of Guardians?
3. What is in the large box that the council brings before Kira?
(a) The singer's stole.
(b) The singer's hat.
(c) The singer's cloak.
(d) The singer's robe.
4. How did Thomas become an orphan?
(a) His mother was killed by lightning and his father on a hunt.
(b) His mother abandoned him on the steps of the Edifice.
(c) Both of his parents were killed by lightning.
(d) Both of his parents died on a hunt.
5. What does Annabella give Kira to help her calm down in Chapter 11?
(a) Herbs from her garden.
(c) A cup of tea.
(d) A scrap of embroidered cloth.
6. Who is waiting for Kira inside the Edifice in Chapter 6?
7. Who visits Kira after lunch on her first day in the Edifice?
8. What warning does Jamison give Kira about traveling in the woods?
(a) Always travel with someone else.
(b) Stay on the path.
(c) Travel only during the day.
(d) Avoid the blue flowers.
9. Which character is waiting for Kira during the trial's lunch break in Chapter 4?
10. What do Vandara and the other women threaten Kira with in Chapter 2?
11. What did Kira show her mother just before she died?
(a) An intricately embroidered scrap of cloth.
(b) A new plant.
(c) A woven scarf.
(d) A letter from her father.
12. In Chapter 11, what frightens Kira as she walks to Annabella's house?
(a) The whine of a child.
(b) The growl of a beast.
(c) The howl of the wind.
(d) The darkness of the forest.
13. What do some of the villagers want to store on Kira's property?
(c) Small children and chickens.
14. Why do the villagers regard Kira with contempt?
(a) According to custom, she was supposed to be destroyed at birth.
(b) She has no useful skill or ability.
(c) She is living alone and unmarried.
(d) According to custom, she was supposed to be sent away.
15. Whom does Kira choose to serve as her defender?
(b) A family member.
(c) Her older cousin.
(d) A council member.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kira discover is still intact in Chapter 2 when she returns home?
2. What is worn during the singing of the Ruin Song?
3. Why do Vandara and the other women think Kira is useless?
4. Where does Kira travel at mid-morning in Chapter 3?
5. What does Kira sleep with the night after she is frightened along the path to Annabella's house?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)