|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kira do when she is threatened by Vandara and the other women in Chapter 2?
(a) She fights back with a stone knife.
(b) She claims her right to a hearing before the Council of Guardians.
(c) She hides in the Council Edifice.
(d) She runs and hides in Matt's cott.
2. What does Kira eat the evening she returns from the Field of Leaving?
(a) Food from her garden.
(b) Soup from Vandara's pot.
(c) Bread from Matt's house.
3. How did Kira's father reportedly die?
(a) He fell off a cliff while he was hunting.
(b) He fell out of a boat and drowned.
(c) Beasts attacked him and dragged him away while he was hunting.
(d) He drowned in the river while he was fishing.
4. What did Kira show her mother just before she died?
(a) An intricately embroidered scrap of cloth.
(b) A new plant.
(c) A woven scarf.
(d) A letter from her father.
5. Why do the villagers regard Kira with contempt?
(a) According to custom, she was supposed to be sent away.
(b) According to custom, she was supposed to be destroyed at birth.
(c) She has no useful skill or ability.
(d) She is living alone and unmarried.
6. Where will the injured weaver's children probably be sent?
(a) To the Council of Guardians.
(b) To the next village.
(c) To live with other women.
(d) To the Field of Leaving.
7. What does Kira discover is still intact in Chapter 2 when she returns home?
(a) Her loom.
(b) Her garden.
(c) Her well.
(d) Her cott.
8. What does Kira sleep with the night after she is frightened along the path to Annabella's house?
(a) A child's doll.
(b) Her scrap of embroidered cloth.
(c) Her mother's scarf.
(d) A hunting knife.
9. Who does Kira confide in about her experience on the way to Annabella's house?
(c) No one.
10. In Chapter 4, what service does Jamison provide Kira?
(a) He serves as her defender.
(b) He gives her water.
(c) He provides her with lodging.
(d) He advises her defender.
11. Why does Kira decide to visit Annabella?
(a) To learn the secrets of the Guardians.
(b) To learn the process of dyeing cloth.
(c) To find her father.
(d) Because Annabella is her grandmother.
12. Where will the weaver with the broken arm probably be sent?
(a) To the Field of Leaving.
(b) To the next village.
(c) To the healer.
(d) To the Council of Guardians.
13. What is the woman in the garden doing in Chapter 2?
(a) Hoeing weeds.
(b) Stealing carrots.
(c) Stealing flowers.
(d) Digging potatoes.
14. What object is Kira commanded by the Council of Guardians to mend?
(a) The singer's stole.
(b) The singer's robe.
(c) The singer's hat.
(d) The singer's cloak.
15. What does Thomas give Matt and Branch in Chapter 10?
(a) A spanking.
(b) A haircut.
(c) A toy.
(d) A bath.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matt attempt to take from Kira in Chapter 10?
2. How does Kira calm her nerves during the trial?
3. How does Kira learn the rituals of ceremony that are expected before the Council of Guardians?
4. What does Vandara tell Kira in Chapter 2?
5. What warning does Matt give Kira in Chapter 1?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)