|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comforts Kira as she falls asleep in her new bed in the Edifice?
(a) The smell of her mother's cloth.
(b) The sounds of the night.
(c) An embroidered scrap of cloth.
(d) Thoughts of her father.
2. What object comforts Thomas?
(a) The embroidered scrap of cloth.
(b) A wooden toy carved by his father.
(c) A bit of wood he carved as a child.
(d) The Singer's staff.
3. What does Matt fear Kira might be while living in the Edifice?
(a) A mistress.
(c) A prisoner.
(d) A servant.
4. By law, what punishment does Kira's society give for murder?
(b) 40 lashes with a whip.
(c) Imprisionment for life.
(d) Death of the murderer.
5. What does Jamison question Kira about in Chapter 5?
(a) Her skills and the training she received from her mother.
(b) Her memories of her father.
(c) Her friend, Matt.
(d) Her knowledge of reading and writing.
6. In Chapter 9, what does Kira recite as she works?
(a) The names of her ancestors.
(b) The names and uses of the plants Annabella taught her.
(c) Sections of the Ruin song.
(d) Ceremonial chants Jamison taught her.
7. What does Annabella give Kira to help her calm down in Chapter 11?
(b) Herbs from her garden.
(c) A cup of tea.
(d) A scrap of embroidered cloth.
8. Which character is waiting with Matt for Kira at the Edifice?
9. What does Kira intend to do with the stains on her mother's skirt?
(a) Embroider around them.
(b) Wash them.
(c) Patch them.
(d) Bleach them.
10. What does Kira have in her new room that was not in her cott?
(a) A window.
(b) A lamp.
(d) A closet.
11. Whom does Kira choose to serve as her defender?
(a) Her older cousin.
(b) A council member.
(c) A family member.
12. What does one tender assist Kira with on her first morning in the Edifice?
(a) Finding her way to the kitchen.
(b) The daily ceremonial rituals.
(c) The maze of hallways in the Edifice.
(d) The operation of the bathroom.
13. What does Annabella teach?
(a) Ceremonial dance.
(b) The art of weaving.
(c) The arts of cloth craft and dyeing.
(d) Reading and writing.
14. According to local law, who may be appointed to defend Kira?
(a) A friend.
(b) Any male villager over the age of 18.
(c) A council member.
(d) A family member.
15. Where do the women of the village plan to take Kira?
(a) To the Field of Leaving.
(b) Before the Council of Guardians.
(c) To the woods.
(d) To the next village.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Thomas become an orphan?
2. What reportedly caused Vandara's scar?
3. Why is Kira not required to defend herself before the Council of Guardians?
4. How did Kira's father reportedly die?
5. What warning does Matt give Kira in Chapter 1?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)