|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kira harvest from her mother's garden in Chapter 9?
(a) The rest of her carrots and potatoes.
(b) Onions, to make yellow.
(c) Plants used to create dyes.
(d) Flowers for making blue dye.
2. By law, what punishment does Kira's society give for murder?
(a) Imprisionment for life.
(c) 40 lashes with a whip.
(d) Death of the murderer.
3. What object is Kira commanded by the Council of Guardians to mend?
(a) The singer's cloak.
(b) The singer's hat.
(c) The singer's stole.
(d) The singer's robe.
4. What does Matt cover his body with in Chapter 10?
(b) Swamp grass.
5. Why do Vandara and the other women think Kira is useless?
(a) Because Kira cannot cook.
(b) Because Kira has no visible talents.
(c) Because Kira is crippled.
(d) Because Kira is unmarried.
6. What does Matt question Kira about in Chapter 1?
(a) The Field of Leaving.
(b) Her mother's death.
(c) Her property.
(d) The council's decision.
7. Why doesn't Kira look at the list of names Thomas writes down?
(a) She is looking at his blue eyes.
(b) In her society, women are forbidden to learn how to read.
(c) She is distracted by a metallic scraping sound.
(d) She is embarassed to be unable to read.
8. What object comforts Thomas?
(a) A bit of wood he carved as a child.
(b) A wooden toy carved by his father.
(c) The embroidered scrap of cloth.
(d) The Singer's staff.
9. What piece of jewelry of does Kira find in Matt's bundle?
(a) Her baby bracelet.
(b) Her father's ring.
(c) Her mother's pendant.
(d) Her mother's bracelet.
10. What do some of the villagers want to build on Kira's property?
(a) A bonfire.
(b) A corral.
(c) A new cott.
(d) A weaving shed.
11. In Chapter 4, what service does Jamison provide Kira?
(a) He gives her water.
(b) He provides her with lodging.
(c) He serves as her defender.
(d) He advises her defender.
12. Where do the women of the village plan to take Kira?
(a) To the Field of Leaving.
(b) To the woods.
(c) To the next village.
(d) Before the Council of Guardians.
13. What claim does Annabella make in Chapter 11 that shocks Kira?
(a) Jamison is her father.
(b) She will forge the future of their people.
(c) There are no beasts in the forest.
(d) Blue dye does not exist.
14. Where is Matt's father?
(a) As far as Matt knows, he does not have a father.
(b) In prison.
(c) In the Fen.
(d) In the Field of Leaving.
15. What does Kira sleep with the night after she is frightened along the path to Annabella's house?
(a) Her scrap of embroidered cloth.
(b) Her mother's scarf.
(c) A child's doll.
(d) A hunting knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to village custom, what happens to a person's property once he or she dies from illness?
2. In the beginning of Chapter 1, why is Kira in the Field of Leaving?
3. Where does Kira decide to go on her first morning in the Edifice?
4. Where will the weaver with the broken arm probably be sent?
5. Whom does Kira choose to serve as her defender?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)