|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Kira choose to serve as her defender?
(a) Her older cousin.
(b) A family member.
(c) A council member.
2. Where is Kira's father in Chapter 1?
(a) Missing and presumed dead.
(b) In the Council Edifice.
(c) Hunting with the other men.
(d) At the cott.
3. What does Vandara tell Kira in Chapter 2?
(a) Kira should run from the Council of Guardians.
(b) She will keep Kira as a daughter.
(c) She has claimed Kira's property.
(d) She should leave the weaver's shed.
4. How is Vandara dressed as she presents herself before the Council of Guardians?
(a) She is dirty and barefoot.
(b) She is wearing an elaborately embroidered gown.
(c) She is dressed in white linen.
(d) She is wearing a brightly colored smock.
5. What does Annabella give Kira to help her calm down in Chapter 11?
(a) A scrap of embroidered cloth.
(c) A cup of tea.
(d) Herbs from her garden.
6. Who is waiting for Kira inside the Edifice in Chapter 6?
7. Why do the villagers regard Kira with contempt?
(a) According to custom, she was supposed to be destroyed at birth.
(b) According to custom, she was supposed to be sent away.
(c) She is living alone and unmarried.
(d) She has no useful skill or ability.
8. What color are the threads in Kira's worktable drawer?
(b) All colors, except blue.
9. What crime has Vandara been accused of in the past?
(a) Poisioning her husband.
(b) Stealing cloth from the weavers.
(c) Poisoning her own child.
(d) Murdering her mother.
10. Who are the tenders?
(a) Boys training to be Guardians.
(b) Acolytes who participate in religious ceremonies.
(c) Servants who care for the orphans in the Edifice.
(d) Young boys who tend the flocks.
11. What is brought to Kira's room on her first morning in the Edifice?
(a) Bolts of brightly colored cloth.
(b) Pots of dye.
(c) Work tools.
12. What about Jamison amazes Kira?
(a) His intense blue eyes.
(b) His speech.
(c) His ability to read.
(d) His ability to write.
13. How many men are on the Council of Guardians?
14. Who does Kira confide in about her experience on the way to Annabella's house?
(a) No one.
15. What piece of jewelry of does Kira find in Matt's bundle?
(a) Her baby bracelet.
(b) Her father's ring.
(c) Her mother's bracelet.
(d) Her mother's pendant.
Short Answer Questions
1. By law, what punishment does Kira's society give for murder?
2. Where is Matt's father?
3. How long does Kira have to complete her task for the Council of Guardians?
4. What is in the large box that the council brings before Kira?
5. What has Matt never been given?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)