|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Matt question Kira about in Chapter 1?
(a) The council's decision.
(b) Her property.
(c) The Field of Leaving.
(d) Her mother's death.
2. What is brought to Kira's room on her first morning in the Edifice?
(a) Bolts of brightly colored cloth.
(c) Pots of dye.
(d) Work tools.
3. Which council member knew Kira's father?
4. What does Annabella give Kira as a parting gift?
(a) A blue handkerchief.
(b) Colored threads.
(c) A plant.
(d) Blue flowers.
5. What does Matt attempt to take from Kira in Chapter 10?
(a) Her pendant.
(c) Her embroidered cloth.
(d) Her pillow.
6. What crime has Vandara been accused of in the past?
(a) Poisioning her husband.
(b) Poisoning her own child.
(c) Murdering her mother.
(d) Stealing cloth from the weavers.
7. What is in the large box that the council brings before Kira?
(a) The singer's hat.
(b) The singer's cloak.
(c) The singer's stole.
(d) The singer's robe.
8. In Chapter 3, when does the messenger arrive for Kira?
(a) At dawn.
(b) At dusk.
(c) In the middle of the night.
(d) At noon.
9. Who are the tenders?
(a) Acolytes who participate in religious ceremonies.
(b) Boys training to be Guardians.
(c) Servants who care for the orphans in the Edifice.
(d) Young boys who tend the flocks.
10. What does Kira do when she is threatened by Vandara and the other women in Chapter 2?
(a) She hides in the Council Edifice.
(b) She runs and hides in Matt's cott.
(c) She fights back with a stone knife.
(d) She claims her right to a hearing before the Council of Guardians.
11. Where does Kira's friend Matt live?
(a) In the Edifice.
(b) In the woods.
(c) In the village.
(d) In the Fen.
12. What reportedly caused Vandara's scar?
(a) An animal attack.
(b) A fire.
(c) Her husband's beatings.
(d) A falling branch.
13. Where does Kira travel at mid-morning in Chapter 3?
(a) The weaver's shed.
(b) Through the woods to the next village.
(c) The Council Edifice.
(d) Matt's cott.
14. What building does Kira visit after leaving the Council Edifice?
(a) Matt's cott.
(b) The weaving shed.
(c) Jamison's cott.
(d) The potter's shed.
15. What comforts Kira's aching fingers one evening in Chapter 9?
(a) Rubbing them in wool.
(b) Ointment from her mother's belongings.
(c) Warm water from the bath.
(d) Her embroidered scrap of cloth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Vandara and the other women think Kira is useless?
2. According to local law, who may be appointed to defend Kira?
3. Who visits Kira after lunch on her first day in the Edifice?
4. Why is Kira not required to defend herself before the Council of Guardians?
5. What gift do Kira and Thomas give Matt in Chapter 10?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)