|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What warning does Matt give Kira in Chapter 1?
(a) She should stay on the path in the woods.
(b) Some of the villagers plan to force her away from the village.
(c) Some of the villagers plan to raid her cott.
(d) The Council of Guardians will take her property.
2. What does Matt have inside the bundle he has for Kira in Chapter 6?
(a) Food for her journey.
(b) A bundle of threads from her loom.
(c) Flower bulbs from her garden.
(d) Items he removed from her cott before it was burned.
3. What does Matt do in Chapter 9 that worries Kira?
(a) Travels to the next village.
(b) Tries to find his father.
(c) Searches for "blue".
(d) Chooses a spear to go on a hunt.
4. What does Kira realize she has never seen either dead or alive after she returns to the Edifice in Chapter 11?
(a) A bear or a wolf.
(b) A crippled person.
(c) Blue flowers.
(d) A beast.
5. What is Thomas' job in the Edifice?
(a) To tend the flocks of the Guardians.
(b) To serve the residents of the Edifice.
(c) To carve intricate items out of wood.
(d) To teach others to read.
6. According to village custom, what happens to a person's property once he or she dies from illness?
(a) All property and possessions are burned.
(b) All property and possessions are divided among relatives.
(c) The Council of Guardians collects one-tenth of the property.
(d) All property and possessions are divided among the villagers.
7. What do the weavers offer Kira at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) Dyed threads.
(b) Advice on her task.
(c) A seat at the empty loom.
(d) A new robe.
8. What does Matt question Kira about in Chapter 1?
(a) Her property.
(b) The council's decision.
(c) The Field of Leaving.
(d) Her mother's death.
9. What verdict does the Council of Guardians render about Kira's case?
(a) Kira is to stay in the Council Edifice and Vandara is given Kira's land.
(b) Kira is to stay in the Council Edifice and the Guardians will take her property.
(c) Kira is to be sent to the next village.
(d) Vandara is to be sent to the Field of Leaving.
10. Where will the injured weaver's children probably be sent?
(a) To the Field of Leaving.
(b) To the Council of Guardians.
(c) To live with other women.
(d) To the next village.
11. What about Jamison amazes Kira?
(a) His ability to write.
(b) His speech.
(c) His ability to read.
(d) His intense blue eyes.
12. How does Kira learn the rituals of ceremony that are expected before the Council of Guardians?
(a) By listening to her mother.
(b) By guessing.
(c) By watching similar events in the past.
(d) By reading about the rituals.
13. What does Matt offer to do for Kira in Chapter 6?
(a) Send a message to her father.
(b) Burn down Vandara's cott.
(c) Carry her possessions upstairs to her new quarters.
(d) Gather the remaining plants from her garden.
14. Where do the women of the village plan to take Kira?
(a) To the next village.
(b) To the Field of Leaving.
(c) To the woods.
(d) Before the Council of Guardians.
15. Who is Kira thinking of as she drifts off to sleep in her new bed in the Edifice?
(a) Her future.
(b) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other object of her mother's does Kira find in Matt's bundle?
2. What does Kira do when Vandara and the village women leave?
3. How did Thomas become an orphan?
4. Where does Kira's friend Matt live?
5. What are Matt and his friends doing while Kira is on trial?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)