|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object is Kira commanded by the Council of Guardians to mend?
(a) The singer's hat.
(b) The singer's stole.
(c) The singer's robe.
(d) The singer's cloak.
2. Why do the villagers regard Kira with contempt?
(a) According to custom, she was supposed to be destroyed at birth.
(b) She is living alone and unmarried.
(c) She has no useful skill or ability.
(d) According to custom, she was supposed to be sent away.
3. What claim does Annabella make in Chapter 11 that shocks Kira?
(a) There are no beasts in the forest.
(b) Blue dye does not exist.
(c) She will forge the future of their people.
(d) Jamison is her father.
4. What does Kira sleep with the night after she is frightened along the path to Annabella's house?
(a) Her mother's scarf.
(b) A hunting knife.
(c) Her scrap of embroidered cloth.
(d) A child's doll.
5. What does Matt offer to do for Kira in Chapter 6?
(a) Gather the remaining plants from her garden.
(b) Send a message to her father.
(c) Carry her possessions upstairs to her new quarters.
(d) Burn down Vandara's cott.
6. How did Thomas become an orphan?
(a) Both of his parents were killed by lightning.
(b) Both of his parents died on a hunt.
(c) His mother was killed by lightning and his father on a hunt.
(d) His mother abandoned him on the steps of the Edifice.
7. Who visits Kira after lunch on her first day in the Edifice?
8. Why does Kira only eat half of her meal provided during the trial in Chapter 4?
(a) She has been accused of eating too much.
(b) She is too nervous to eat.
(c) She saves half of her meal for later.
(d) She shares some of her meal with Matt.
9. What does Matt fear Kira might be while living in the Edifice?
(a) A servant.
(b) A mistress.
(c) A prisoner.
10. Why isn't Matt allowed to enter the Field of Leaving?
(a) He does not belong to the village.
(b) He was born under an unlucky omen.
(c) He is too young.
(d) He has no relatives currently in the Field.
11. What reportedly caused Vandara's scar?
(a) Her husband's beatings.
(b) A fire.
(c) A falling branch.
(d) An animal attack.
12. How is Vandara dressed as she presents herself before the Council of Guardians?
(a) She is dressed in white linen.
(b) She is wearing a brightly colored smock.
(c) She is dirty and barefoot.
(d) She is wearing an elaborately embroidered gown.
13. Where do the women of the village plan to take Kira?
(a) To the woods.
(b) To the next village.
(c) Before the Council of Guardians.
(d) To the Field of Leaving.
14. Who is Thomas?
(a) One of the Guardians.
(b) A boy Kira's age who also lives in the Edifice.
(c) Jamison's arch rival.
(d) A young tender.
15. Who are the tenders?
(a) Acolytes who participate in religious ceremonies.
(b) Young boys who tend the flocks.
(c) Servants who care for the orphans in the Edifice.
(d) Boys training to be Guardians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the large box that the council brings before Kira?
2. Where does Kira travel at mid-morning in Chapter 3?
3. Where does Kira decide to go on her first morning in the Edifice?
4. Whom does Kira choose to serve as her defender?
5. In Chapter 4, what service does Jamison provide Kira?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)