|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What building does Kira visit after leaving the Council Edifice?
(a) The potter's shed.
(b) Matt's cott.
(c) Jamison's cott.
(d) The weaving shed.
2. What does Kira discover is still intact in Chapter 2 when she returns home?
(a) Her garden.
(b) Her loom.
(c) Her cott.
(d) Her well.
3. Who accompanies Kira to Annabella's house in Chapter 8?
(a) No one.
(b) Matt and Branch.
4. How does Kira learn the rituals of ceremony that are expected before the Council of Guardians?
(a) By reading about the rituals.
(b) By guessing.
(c) By watching similar events in the past.
(d) By listening to her mother.
5. Who visits Kira after lunch on her first day in the Edifice?
6. What does Kira realize she has never seen either dead or alive after she returns to the Edifice in Chapter 11?
(a) A beast.
(b) Blue flowers.
(c) A crippled person.
(d) A bear or a wolf.
7. What does Annabella give Kira as a parting gift?
(a) Colored threads.
(b) A plant.
(c) A blue handkerchief.
(d) Blue flowers.
8. In the beginning of Chapter 1, why is Kira in the Field of Leaving?
(a) She is searching for her father's body.
(b) She is searching for her mother's body.
(c) She is waiting for her father's spirit to leave its body.
(d) She is waiting for her mother's spirit to leave its body.
9. Who cuts Vandara off midway through her accusation?
(d) The council.
10. Why do Vandara and the other women think Kira is useless?
(a) Because Kira has no visible talents.
(b) Because Kira is crippled.
(c) Because Kira cannot cook.
(d) Because Kira is unmarried.
11. What does Matt offer to do for Kira in Chapter 6?
(a) Gather the remaining plants from her garden.
(b) Send a message to her father.
(c) Carry her possessions upstairs to her new quarters.
(d) Burn down Vandara's cott.
12. Why do the villagers regard Kira with contempt?
(a) She is living alone and unmarried.
(b) According to custom, she was supposed to be destroyed at birth.
(c) She has no useful skill or ability.
(d) According to custom, she was supposed to be sent away.
13. Why does Matt take some of Kira's belongings in Chapter 5?
(a) Because the Council ordered him to take her property to the Edifice.
(b) It is a part of the village's custom.
(c) To sell them and earn money for Kira's defense.
(d) To save them from being burned.
14. What does Matt cover his body with in Chapter 10?
(a) Swamp grass.
15. What does Matt question Kira about in Chapter 1?
(a) Her mother's death.
(b) The Field of Leaving.
(c) The council's decision.
(d) Her property.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Thomas give Kira?
2. What does Kira have in her new room that was not in her cott?
3. Which council member saw Kira's father die?
4. What does Thomas give Matt and Branch in Chapter 10?
5. What comforts Kira's aching fingers one evening in Chapter 9?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)