|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Matt and his friends doing while Kira is on trial?
(a) Gathering saplings to make her a new cott.
(b) Praying that Kira will not be put in the Field of Leaving.
(c) Planning Kira's escape.
(d) Cooking a meal for Kira.
2. What has Matt never been given?
(a) A hug.
(b) A gift.
(c) A spanking.
(d) A haircut.
3. What does Matt do in Chapter 9 that worries Kira?
(a) Searches for "blue".
(b) Tries to find his father.
(c) Chooses a spear to go on a hunt.
(d) Travels to the next village.
4. According to local law, who may be appointed to defend Kira?
(a) Any male villager over the age of 18.
(b) A council member.
(c) A friend.
(d) A family member.
5. How is Vandara dressed as she presents herself before the Council of Guardians?
(a) She is wearing an elaborately embroidered gown.
(b) She is dirty and barefoot.
(c) She is wearing a brightly colored smock.
(d) She is dressed in white linen.
6. Who are the tenders?
(a) Boys training to be Guardians.
(b) Acolytes who participate in religious ceremonies.
(c) Young boys who tend the flocks.
(d) Servants who care for the orphans in the Edifice.
7. What does one tender assist Kira with on her first morning in the Edifice?
(a) The maze of hallways in the Edifice.
(b) The daily ceremonial rituals.
(c) Finding her way to the kitchen.
(d) The operation of the bathroom.
8. What building does Kira visit after leaving the Council Edifice?
(a) The potter's shed.
(b) The weaving shed.
(c) Jamison's cott.
(d) Matt's cott.
9. Where is Matt's father?
(a) As far as Matt knows, he does not have a father.
(b) In prison.
(c) In the Fen.
(d) In the Field of Leaving.
10. Which character is waiting with Matt for Kira at the Edifice?
11. What warning does Matt give Kira in Chapter 1?
(a) Some of the villagers plan to raid her cott.
(b) Some of the villagers plan to force her away from the village.
(c) She should stay on the path in the woods.
(d) The Council of Guardians will take her property.
12. What did Kira show her mother just before she died?
(a) A letter from her father.
(b) A new plant.
(c) A woven scarf.
(d) An intricately embroidered scrap of cloth.
13. What object comforts Thomas?
(a) The Singer's staff.
(b) A bit of wood he carved as a child.
(c) A wooden toy carved by his father.
(d) The embroidered scrap of cloth.
14. What is worn during the singing of the Ruin Song?
(a) The singer's robe.
(b) The singer's stole.
(c) The singer's hat.
(d) The singer's cloak.
15. What does Matt have inside the bundle he has for Kira in Chapter 6?
(a) Food for her journey.
(b) Items he removed from her cott before it was burned.
(c) A bundle of threads from her loom.
(d) Flower bulbs from her garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kira find destroyed in Chapter 2 when she returns home?
2. Where is Kira's father in Chapter 1?
3. What does the headquarters of the Council of Guardians resemble?
4. What does Thomas give Matt and Branch in Chapter 10?
5. Which council member knew Kira's father?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)