|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is allowed to speak first before the Council of Guardians in Chapter 3?
2. What is worn during the singing of the Ruin Song?
(a) The singer's stole.
(b) The singer's hat.
(c) The singer's cloak.
(d) The singer's robe.
3. Why isn't Matt allowed to enter the Field of Leaving?
(a) He does not belong to the village.
(b) He has no relatives currently in the Field.
(c) He is too young.
(d) He was born under an unlucky omen.
4. What claim does Annabella make in Chapter 11 that shocks Kira?
(a) There are no beasts in the forest.
(b) She will forge the future of their people.
(c) Jamison is her father.
(d) Blue dye does not exist.
5. Why doesn't Kira look at the list of names Thomas writes down?
(a) She is embarassed to be unable to read.
(b) She is distracted by a metallic scraping sound.
(c) In her society, women are forbidden to learn how to read.
(d) She is looking at his blue eyes.
6. What does one tender assist Kira with on her first morning in the Edifice?
(a) Finding her way to the kitchen.
(b) The maze of hallways in the Edifice.
(c) The daily ceremonial rituals.
(d) The operation of the bathroom.
7. In Chapter 11, what frightens Kira as she walks to Annabella's house?
(a) The growl of a beast.
(b) The whine of a child.
(c) The howl of the wind.
(d) The darkness of the forest.
8. In the beginning of Chapter 1, why is Kira in the Field of Leaving?
(a) She is searching for her mother's body.
(b) She is waiting for her father's spirit to leave its body.
(c) She is waiting for her mother's spirit to leave its body.
(d) She is searching for her father's body.
9. Where will the weaver with the broken arm probably be sent?
(a) To the Council of Guardians.
(b) To the healer.
(c) To the Field of Leaving.
(d) To the next village.
10. What does Jamison question Kira about in Chapter 5?
(a) Her knowledge of reading and writing.
(b) Her skills and the training she received from her mother.
(c) Her friend, Matt.
(d) Her memories of her father.
11. Who is Kira thinking of as she drifts off to sleep in her new bed in the Edifice?
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her future.
12. What is the woman in the garden doing in Chapter 2?
(a) Hoeing weeds.
(b) Stealing carrots.
(c) Digging potatoes.
(d) Stealing flowers.
13. What about Jamison amazes Kira?
(a) His intense blue eyes.
(b) His speech.
(c) His ability to write.
(d) His ability to read.
14. What does Annabella give Kira as a parting gift?
(a) A blue handkerchief.
(b) A plant.
(c) Colored threads.
(d) Blue flowers.
15. What piece of jewelry of does Kira find in Matt's bundle?
(a) Her mother's bracelet.
(b) Her mother's pendant.
(c) Her baby bracelet.
(d) Her father's ring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some of the villagers want to store on Kira's property?
2. What does Kira sleep with the night after she is frightened along the path to Annabella's house?
3. Why does Kira only eat half of her meal provided during the trial in Chapter 4?
4. What does the headquarters of the Council of Guardians resemble?
5. What does Kira intend to do with the stains on her mother's skirt?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)