|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what service does Jamison provide Kira?
(a) He advises her defender.
(b) He provides her with lodging.
(c) He serves as her defender.
(d) He gives her water.
2. Which character is allowed to speak first before the Council of Guardians in Chapter 3?
3. What does Kira plan to do in Chapter 1 once she returns to the home she shared with her mother?
(a) Pack her belongings and search for her father.
(b) Salvage anything not destroyed by the fire and rebuild her home.
(c) Salvage anything not taken by the villagers.
(d) Unpack her loom and begin weaving.
4. Who does Kira confide in about her experience on the way to Annabella's house?
(b) No one.
5. Who visits Kira after lunch on her first day in the Edifice?
6. How did Thomas become an orphan?
(a) His mother was killed by lightning and his father on a hunt.
(b) His mother abandoned him on the steps of the Edifice.
(c) Both of his parents died on a hunt.
(d) Both of his parents were killed by lightning.
7. How long does Kira have to complete her task for the Council of Guardians?
(a) Thirty days.
(b) A year.
(c) A few months.
(d) A few weeks.
8. In the beginning of Chapter 1, why is Kira in the Field of Leaving?
(a) She is searching for her mother's body.
(b) She is waiting for her father's spirit to leave its body.
(c) She is searching for her father's body.
(d) She is waiting for her mother's spirit to leave its body.
9. What warning does Jamison give Kira about traveling in the woods?
(a) Avoid the blue flowers.
(b) Stay on the path.
(c) Always travel with someone else.
(d) Travel only during the day.
10. By law, what punishment does Kira's society give for murder?
(a) Imprisionment for life.
(b) Death of the murderer.
(d) 40 lashes with a whip.
11. What object comforts Thomas?
(a) A wooden toy carved by his father.
(b) A bit of wood he carved as a child.
(c) The embroidered scrap of cloth.
(d) The Singer's staff.
12. Where is Kira's father in Chapter 1?
(a) At the cott.
(b) Missing and presumed dead.
(c) Hunting with the other men.
(d) In the Council Edifice.
13. Where does Kira travel at mid-morning in Chapter 3?
(a) The weaver's shed.
(b) Matt's cott.
(c) Through the woods to the next village.
(d) The Council Edifice.
14. Why is Kira not required to defend herself before the Council of Guardians?
(a) She is a woman.
(b) She is the defendant.
(c) She is an orphan.
(d) She is too young.
15. Why does Matt take some of Kira's belongings in Chapter 5?
(a) To save them from being burned.
(b) It is a part of the village's custom.
(c) To sell them and earn money for Kira's defense.
(d) Because the Council ordered him to take her property to the Edifice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kira decide to visit Annabella?
2. What building does Kira visit after leaving the Council Edifice?
3. Who is Thomas?
4. Who are the tenders?
5. Why doesn't Kira look at the list of names Thomas writes down?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)