|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 8: Thermopylae, Chapter 35 - 38.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the activities listed as part of Spartan life?
(a) Spartans love to fish.
(b) Spartans make sacrifices to their gods.
(c) Spartans wrestle and run.
(d) Spartans train at controlling their fear.
2. Why does Xeones go out into a snowstorm to freeze to death?
(a) He is depressed that he cannot fight with a spear.
(b) He is depressed that his family is dead.
(c) He prefers a death by freezing to the slow, painful death he will have due to his fever.
(d) He is depressed that his girlfriend broke up with him.
3. Why do the Phokians miss the meeting?
(a) They are nearly overrun by the Persians, so they flee.
(b) They have all been slain by the Persians.
(c) They go over to the Persian side.
(d) They are attacked and must remain to defend their city.
4. Who is the half helot's father?
(a) His father is king Leonidas.
(b) His father is a farmer.
(c) His father had been a Spartan soldier.
(d) His father is a member of the council.
5. In Chapter 28, which Persian deserter asks for Xeones by name?
(a) Rooster asks for him.
(b) Xerxes asks for him.
(c) Tommie asks for him.
(d) Elephantinos asks for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Leonidas, how many men could the Persians mass behind the battle wall?
2. What can Xeones see toward the middle gate?
3. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
4. According to Xeones, each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one what?
5. What secret does Arete tell Xeones in Chapter 20?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)