|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 8: Thermopylae, Chapter 35 - 38.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sacks the city-state that was the birthplace of Xeones?
(a) The Argives sack the city-state.
(b) The Carthagians sack the city-state.
(c) The Spartans sack the city-state.
(d) The Persians sack the city-state.
2. Why do the Spartans use that method to count their dead?
(a) It is done to confuse the enemy.
(b) It helps to keep their minds occupied and off of the fact that only moments earlier they were slaughtering men like farmers reaping wheat.
(c) It is the Spartan law that the dead be counted in such a way.
(d) It is an ancient tradition that has been passed down for generations.
3. What is panoplia?
(a) It is the lake near Sparta.
(b) It is the armor and shield that each soldier must carry.
(c) It is the final right of passage from boyhood to adult status.
(d) It is an eight night training exercise.
4. What do the people of Sparta sing as the soldiers march off to war?
(a) They sing the Spartan anthem.
(b) They sing the hymn to Castor.
(c) They sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.
(d) They sing praises to the god Apollo.
5. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
(a) The Spartan Rangers were first to arrive.
(b) The Thespians were the first to arrive.
(c) The Persians were the first to arrive.
(d) The Spartan heavy infantry were first to arrive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stands to defend Athens during the Persian attack?
2. For what does Xeones chide king Xerxes?
3. Where does Bruxieus tell Xeones and Diomache to go?
4. In Chapter 29, what does Xeones say is the only thing a man really wants?
5. The first time Xeones sees the Persian fleet, he meets an Egyptian. What was the Egyptian's name?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)