|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 8: Thermopylae, Chapter 35 - 38.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can Xeones see toward the middle gate?
(a) He sees the Persians.
(b) He sees a large fox.
(c) He sees the bath houses.
(d) He sees the sheer cliffs of the pass.
2. According to Xerxes, what is the greatest desire of Xeones?
(a) He only wants to kill Xerxes, even at the cost of his own life.
(b) His greatest desire is to rejoin his brothers in arms beneath the earth in death.
(c) His desire to tell the story is greater than any other.
(d) His top priority is to escape Xerxes and return to Sparta with the intelligence that he has picked up in the Persian camp.
3. Why does Artemisia tell Xerxes that he cannot leave the field of battle?
(a) If Xerxes leaves his army in the hands of a general, the general might return victorious from Greece only to take over the empire for himself.
(b) She tells Xerxes that by returning to Persia, he would be missing a grand show in the defeat of the Greeks.
(c) She tells him that if he leaves after the Oracle spoke to the Spartans, that all of Greece would say that he was running from a dream.
(d) The Persians have no hope of taking Greece without their king.
4. What does Dienekes order Xeones to do?
(a) He orders Xeones to stay back and observe, so that he may tell the story later.
(b) He orders Xeones to fight valiantly.
(c) He orders Xeones to deliver a message for him.
(d) He orders Xeones to run.
5. What does Dienekes decide that the opposite of fear is?
(a) The opposite of fear is glory.
(b) The opposite of fear is love.
(c) The opposite of fear is aphobia.
(d) The opposite of fear is courage.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Spartans count their dead?
2. In Chapter 28, which Persian deserter asks for Xeones by name?
3. Who do the Spartans encounter on their way out of the Persian camp?
4. What is Xeones' proof that he was there, and not that he simply heard of it?
5. What is the standing order of Dienekes while on campaign?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)