|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 8: Thermopylae, Chapter 35 - 38.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is othismos?
(a) Othismos is the euphoria that comes upon the victor after a battle.
(b) Othismos is the initial collision on the battlefield and the chaos that follows.
(c) Othismos is a field near Sparta where the Spartan boys train.
(d) Othismos is one of the ancient Spartan sacrificial rites.
2. How does Polynikes react to Alexandros' answer?
(a) He is saddened.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He is angered.
(d) He does not care.
3. Why does Diomache feel that no man will want her?
(a) She was raped.
(b) She is too old.
(c) She has a large scar on her face.
(d) She is ugly.
4. Where does the Spartan king march and fight, relative to the rest of his army?
(a) The king remains at the front of the lines, where he can be a part of the action at all times.
(b) The king usually stays at the center of his army, so that his men surround him at all times.
(c) The king commands from the back of the army where it is safer.
(d) The king does not go with his army, but sends a general in his stead.
5. After some of the helots and Thespians leave, about how many are left in the Greek forces?
(a) There are about one thousand men left.
(b) There are about five hundred men left.
(c) There are about sixty men left.
(d) There are about one hundred men left.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Antirhions lose the battle?
2. When Xeones dies, what is done with his remains?
3. Why does Leonidas include inexperienced soldiers in the three hundred?
4. What do the Spartans discover on their way to the tent of Xerxes?
5. What does Leonidas do after the Antirhion king surrenders?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)