|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 8: Thermopylae, Chapter 35 - 38.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Medon take the baby after the Peers all go home?
(a) He is taking the child to protect him from the others.
(b) He is stealing the child so that he can kill him.
(c) He is inspecting the child to see if he will be allowed to live.
(d) He wants to have a look at the child.
2. As Chapter 2 opens, what does Xeones say that the word Thermopylae means?
(a) It is Greek for "hot gates".
(b) It is Egyptian profanity.
(c) It is Greek for "spa".
(d) It is Greek for "hot springs".
3. What message does Leonidas leave for Greeks who are conscripted into service to the Persians?
(a) You have no choice. You are forgiven.
(b) It is better to die free than live a slave.
(c) You are traitors. May the gods curse you all.
(d) If under compulsion you must fight us your brothers, fight badly.
4. What oath does Alexandros swear the night of Rooster's trial?
(a) He swears that if ever Rooster meets them on the field of battle, that he will slay Rooster himself.
(b) He swears that he will carry out the orders of the krypteis give him.
(c) He swears that he will show mercy on Rooster in honor of their friendship.
(d) He swears that Rooster will never be seen again.
5. Where are the Persians as Chapter 18 opens?
(a) They are in the hills outside of Thessaly.
(b) They are just leaving Thermopylae.
(c) They are at the Three-Cornered Way in Attika.
(d) They are a few miles outside of Sparta.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Rooster related to Dienekes?
2. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
3. What is the Antirhion army primarily composed of?
4. What nation is the second to assault the Greeks?
5. Which of the following is not one of the activities listed as part of Spartan life?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)