|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 8: Thermopylae, Chapter 35 - 38.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 29, what does Xeones say is the only thing a man really wants?
(a) He says that all a man wants is to live.
(b) He says that all a man wants is wealth.
(c) He says that all a man wants is to die with honor.
(d) He says that all a man wants is a good woman.
2. What is oktonyktia?
(a) It is the lake near Sparta.
(b) It is the final right of passage from boyhood to adult status.
(c) It is the armor and shield that each soldier must carry.
(d) It is an eight-night training exercise.
3. What does the Egyptian tell the Spartans about the Persian invasion?
(a) He tells them that the Persians would be easily defeated while still at sea.
(b) He tells them that Xerxes will slaughter them regardless of what they do.
(c) He tells them to join Xerxes voluntarily like the Egyptians did.
(d) He tells them to never surrender.
4. What point does the author illustrate in these battle scenes about ancient warfare?
(a) War is a bloody business, and not for the faint of heart.
(b) Men who make their business warfare rather than farming perform better on the field.
(c) War is a great and glorious undertaking.
(d) War is, unfortunately, unavoidable.
5. How does Xeones describe Dienekes?
(a) He describes him as a warrior over forty-years-old who carries wounds from many battles.
(b) He describes him as a silly old man, full of outdated ideas.
(c) He describes him as a young warrior, inexperienced in battle, but fierce and strong.
(d) He describes him as a great hero.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Leonidas include inexperienced soldiers in the three hundred?
2. What do the Spartans do when they reach the field of battle?
3. What is Xeones' proof that he was there, and not that he simply heard of it?
4. Who are the two narrators of this story?
5. Who does Diomache take with her?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)