|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 8: Thermopylae, Chapter 35 - 38.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thermopylae is described as what?
(a) Thermopylae is described as an ancient battle ground where many battles have taken place over the centuries.
(b) Thermopylae is described as a holy place, dedicated to the worship of the gods.
(c) Thermopylae is described as a small fishing village where the Persians land their invasion force.
(d) Thermopylae is described as a place where travelers go to use the hot mineral baths.
2. Knowing that everyone will die the next day, what does Leonidas tell his men?
(a) The Greeks are to retreat.
(b) He tells them all to fight with valor and die a good death.
(c) The helots are freed from service and may leave.
(d) The watch is to be doubled to keep anyone from deserting.
3. Who is Xerxes?
(a) He is a great hero of the Punic Wars.
(b) He is the narrator of the story.
(c) He is the king of the Persian empire.
(d) He is the king of the Spartan city-state.
4. What is the standing order of Dienekes while on campaign?
(a) Dienekes is to be awakened with the dawn.
(b) Dienekes is to be awakened two hours before sunrise.
(c) Dienekes is to be allowed to sleep until he wakes on his own.
(d) Dienekes is to be awakened about mid-day.
5. How do the Persian forces surround the Greeks?
(a) They sail around and march up from behind.
(b) They are told of a moutain pass by a Greek traitor.
(c) They sneak around the Greeks during the night.
(d) They go around the mountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, who dies on the final night of the training exercise?
2. How long does the scribe serve the Greeks as interpreter?
3. Why does Polynikes feel that Spartans are superior to any other people?
4. Other than Ball Player and the dog, who is the other volunteer?
5. What oath does Alexandros swear the night of Rooster's trial?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)