|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 6: Dienekes, Chapter 24 - 29.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Lokrians not make the meeting?
(a) They were afraid of the Persians, and fled.
(b) They were already defeated.
(c) They turned to the Persian side.
(d) They got the time wrong, as the months have different names than in Sparta.
2. What is Xeones trying to steal when he is caught?
(a) He is trying to steal a horse.
(b) He is trying to steal a chicken.
(c) He is trying to steal some cabbage.
(d) He is trying to steal a goose.
3. What oath does Arete swear to Xeones?
(a) She swears to befriend his cousin Diomache and keep her company.
(b) She swears to never tell about his secret love.
(c) She swears to help take care of his son after he is gone.
(d) She swears that his cousin will hear of his honor in battle and where his body lies.
4. According to Leonidas, how many men could the Persians mass behind the battle wall?
(a) They could mass as many men as they care to.
(b) They could only mass twenty or thirty men.
(c) They could mass one thousand men at most.
(d) The wall completely blocks off the pass.
5. What do the Athenians call the high part of the city?
(a) They call it the Acropolis.
(b) They call it the royal compound.
(c) They call it The Mound.
(d) They call it The Great Hill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leonidas say is the tell-all when battle comes?
2. What point does the author illustrate in these battle scenes about ancient warfare?
3. How old are Xeones and Diomache when they separate?
4. How do the Spartans view war?
5. Thermopylae is described as what?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)