|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 6: Dienekes, Chapter 24 - 29.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stands to defend Athens during the Persian attack?
(a) Athens is defended by the full Athenian legions.
(b) Athens is defended by a small band of fanatics only.
(c) Athens is defended by the Spartans.
(d) Athens is completely abandoned.
2. For what is Xeones punished after the battle at Antirhion?
(a) He is punished for mouthing off to a superior officer.
(b) He is punished for his recklessness on the field of battle.
(c) He is punished for not reporting in a timely fashion.
(d) He is punished for following the army.
3. Who is the half helot's father?
(a) His father is a member of the council.
(b) His father is king Leonidas.
(c) His father is a farmer.
(d) His father had been a Spartan soldier.
4. Why do the Spartans use that method to count their dead?
(a) It is the Spartan law that the dead be counted in such a way.
(b) It is done to confuse the enemy.
(c) It is an ancient tradition that has been passed down for generations.
(d) It helps to keep their minds occupied and off of the fact that only moments earlier they were slaughtering men like farmers reaping wheat.
5. What obstacle separates the two sides of the battleground?
(a) A creek bisects the field.
(b) A low stone wall bisects the field.
(c) A swift river runs through the center of the field.
(d) A palisade bisects the field.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Xeones become in the Spartan army?
2. According to Xerxes, what is the greatest desire of Xeones?
3. Who are the two narrators of this story?
4. What is panoplia?
5. What do the Spartans call their science of fear discipline?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)