|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Polynikes, Chapter 20 - 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Xeones tells of an exercise that the people in the baggage train practice where they serve as punching bags for the Spartan heavy infantry. What is this exercise called?
(a) It is called sparring.
(b) It is called The Ploughman's Blade.
(c) It is called The Oak.
(d) It is called The Breaking.
2. What do the people of Sparta sing as the soldiers march off to war?
(a) They sing the hymn to Castor.
(b) They sing the Spartan anthem.
(c) They sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.
(d) They sing praises to the god Apollo.
3. What happens to the parents of Xeones?
(a) They also escape, but are separated and spend years searching for him.
(b) They are killed trying to defend their home.
(c) They escape with him.
(d) They are captured and sold into slavery.
4. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
(a) He tells the Egyptian that it is better to live as a slave than to die free.
(b) He tells the Egyptian that freedom is a state of mind.
(c) He tells the Egyptian that freedom must be bought with steel, not gold.
(d) He tells the Egyptian that the only free men are dead men.
5. What does Xerxes believe about Xeones' story?
(a) He finds it entertaining, but is unsure of its truth.
(b) He believes that it is true and pertinent to the war efforts.
(c) He believes it all to be lies.
(d) He believes it is true, but has no bearing on the battles ahead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Athenians call the high part of the city?
2. Who stands to defend Athens during the Persian attack?
3. There is a battle on the plain west of Antirhion. Who do the Spartans fight there?
4. How do the soldiers show their disfavor when Polynikes is scolding Alexandros?
5. What drives Polynikes according to Dienekes?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)