|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Polynikes, Chapter 20 - 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Persians are in the advance force that takes Athens?
(a) There are fifty thousand men.
(b) There are several thousand.
(c) There are only three hundred.
(d) There are twenty thousand.
2. What is panoplia?
(a) It is an eight night training exercise.
(b) It is the lake near Sparta.
(c) It is the armor and shield that each soldier must carry.
(d) It is the final right of passage from boyhood to adult status.
3. What does Leonidas do after the Antirhion king surrenders?
(a) He takes the survivors as slaves.
(b) He executes the enemy soldiers, but allows the people in the city to survive.
(c) He slaughters both soldiers and city folk alike.
(d) He spares the lives of the survivors and those in the city.
4. What do the Spartans do when they reach the field of battle?
(a) They immediately retreat.
(b) They calmly go about getting ready for battle, and wait for the enemy.
(c) They send some men to sneak around and flank the enemy.
(d) They charge recklessly into the melee.
5. What is Xeones trying to steal when he is caught?
(a) He is trying to steal a goose.
(b) He is trying to steal some cabbage.
(c) He is trying to steal a chicken.
(d) He is trying to steal a horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
2. What does agoge boua mean?
3. Who is Xeones' sparring partner?
4. Why does Artemisia tell Xerxes that he cannot leave the field of battle?
5. Who does Diomache take with her?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)