|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Polynikes, Chapter 20 - 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
(a) He tells the Egyptian that the only free men are dead men.
(b) He tells the Egyptian that freedom is a state of mind.
(c) He tells the Egyptian that it is better to live as a slave than to die free.
(d) He tells the Egyptian that freedom must be bought with steel, not gold.
2. Why does Diomache feel that no man will want her?
(a) She was raped.
(b) She is too old.
(c) She has a large scar on her face.
(d) She is ugly.
3. Who stands to defend Athens during the Persian attack?
(a) Athens is completely abandoned.
(b) Athens is defended by the full Athenian legions.
(c) Athens is defended by a small band of fanatics only.
(d) Athens is defended by the Spartans.
4. How do the soldiers show their disfavor when Polynikes is scolding Alexandros?
(a) They join Polynikes in berating Alexandros.
(b) They politely leave the area to avoid overhearing.
(c) They ignore the speech.
(d) They rap their knuckles on the table.
5. What is Xeones' proof that he was there, and not that he simply heard of it?
(a) He recognizes the officer who threw the axe at him and wounded Alexandros.
(b) He can offer only his word of honor that he is telling the truth.
(c) He has several witnesses who admit that they saw him there.
(d) He shows Xerxes the place where his blade tore the wall of the tent in a back corner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Xeones and Alexandros catch up to the Spartan army?
2. According to Leonidas, how many men could the Persians mass behind the battle wall?
3. According to Xeones, each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one what?
4. What is the standing order of Dienekes while on campaign?
5. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)