|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Polynikes, Chapter 20 - 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does agoge boua mean?
(a) Agoge boua means battle rage.
(b) Agoge boua means training platoon.
(c) Agoge boua means eight-nighter.
(d) Agoge boua means honorable death.
2. Why does Artemisia tell Xerxes that he cannot leave the field of battle?
(a) The Persians have no hope of taking Greece without their king.
(b) She tells Xerxes that by returning to Persia, he would be missing a grand show in the defeat of the Greeks.
(c) If Xerxes leaves his army in the hands of a general, the general might return victorious from Greece only to take over the empire for himself.
(d) She tells him that if he leaves after the Oracle spoke to the Spartans, that all of Greece would say that he was running from a dream.
3. When does Darius of Persia die?
(a) He dies during the battle at Antirhion.
(b) He dies on the Ides of March.
(c) He dies three years after the battle at Antirhion.
(d) He dies three years before the battle at Antirhion.
4. What is the name of the city-state where Xeones is from?
(a) Xeones is from in Astakos.
(b) Xeones is from in Athens.
(c) Xeones is from a country farm in Akarnania, not a city-state.
(d) Xeones is from in Sparta.
5. Why do the Phokians miss the meeting?
(a) They go over to the Persian side.
(b) They are nearly overrun by the Persians, so they flee.
(c) They have all been slain by the Persians.
(d) They are attacked and must remain to defend their city.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drives Polynikes according to Dienekes?
2. Why does Diomache feel that no man will want her?
3. What oath does Arete swear to Xeones?
4. The first time Xeones sees the Persian fleet, he meets an Egyptian. What was the Egyptian's name?
5. Where do Xeones and Diomache separate?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)