|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Polynikes, Chapter 20 - 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Spartans decide to send only three hundred soldiers to Thermopylae?
(a) A larger force would not have room to fight, and would cause supply problems.
(b) The Spartan senate refuses to send troops to Thermopylae, and the three hundred are the only volunteers.
(c) The three hundred is only the advance force meant to hold off the Persians long enough for the main force to arrive.
(d) The Spartans do not feel that the Persians are a real threat to them, so three hundred should more than suffice.
2. How does Xeones describe Dienekes?
(a) He describes him as a great hero.
(b) He describes him as a warrior over forty-years-old who carries wounds from many battles.
(c) He describes him as a young warrior, inexperienced in battle, but fierce and strong.
(d) He describes him as a silly old man, full of outdated ideas.
3. The first time Xeones sees the Persian fleet, he meets an Egyptian. What was the Egyptian's name?
(a) His name was Agamemnon.
(b) His name was Tommie.
(c) His name was Steve.
(d) His name was Ptammitechus.
4. Why is Xerxes warned about the story of the Spartans?
(a) It contains much foul language.
(b) It is difficult to understand.
(c) It is false.
(d) It is long and boring.
5. How do the Spartans count their dead?
(a) The senior surviving officer calls out the names of the soldiers, and who ever doesn't answer is counted as dead.
(b) They stand in formation and count off.
(c) They walk the field of battle and count the dead.
(d) They each have half of a twig with their names on them, and the other half is in a basket. After the battle, they all match their halves to the others in the basket and count the remaining twigs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the city-state where Xeones is from?
2. What does agoge boua mean?
3. Who throws an axe at Xeones and cuts Alexandros' wrist during the tent raid?
4. Why is Xerxes having trouble sleeping?
5. What do the Spartans call their science of fear discipline?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)