|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Polynikes, Chapter 20 - 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the names of the two dogs that Xeones and Diomache find?
(a) The dogs are Bruno and Flanx.
(b) The dogs are Leonidas and Xerxes.
(c) The dogs are Happy and Lucky.
(d) The dogs are Lucky and Bruno.
2. There is a battle on the plain west of Antirhion. Who do the Spartans fight there?
(a) They fight the Agrives.
(b) They fight the Persian army.
(c) They fight the Antirhion army.
(d) They fight the army of Athens.
3. Why do the Spartans use that method to count their dead?
(a) It is the Spartan law that the dead be counted in such a way.
(b) It is an ancient tradition that has been passed down for generations.
(c) It helps to keep their minds occupied and off of the fact that only moments earlier they were slaughtering men like farmers reaping wheat.
(d) It is done to confuse the enemy.
4. How many sons has Arete born Dienekes?
(a) They have had only daughters.
(b) They have had three sons.
(c) They have had many sons.
(d) They have had one son.
5. What punishment is actually dealt out to Rooster?
(a) He is beaten with wooden rods.
(b) He is absolved of his crime.
(c) He is slain by the krypteia.
(d) He is exiled and sent to the Persians.
Short Answer Questions
1. When king Leonidas gives his speech on the night of the arrival of the Persian force, to whom is he speaking?
2. After their return to Sparta, how does Alexandros tell Polynikes the battle made him feel?
3. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
4. When does Xeones see Xerxes face-to-face before he is summoned?
5. What is the purpose of an all-sire unit?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)