|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Polynikes, Chapter 20 - 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Spartans decide to send only three hundred soldiers to Thermopylae?
(a) The Spartans do not feel that the Persians are a real threat to them, so three hundred should more than suffice.
(b) A larger force would not have room to fight, and would cause supply problems.
(c) The Spartan senate refuses to send troops to Thermopylae, and the three hundred are the only volunteers.
(d) The three hundred is only the advance force meant to hold off the Persians long enough for the main force to arrive.
2. How do Xeones and Alexandros get across the gulf?
(a) They take the ferry.
(b) They go around.
(c) They hire a boat.
(d) They swim.
3. What does the Egyptian tell the Spartans about the Persian invasion?
(a) He tells them to never surrender.
(b) He tells them to join Xerxes voluntarily like the Egyptians did.
(c) He tells them that Xerxes will slaughter them regardless of what they do.
(d) He tells them that the Persians would be easily defeated while still at sea.
4. Which of the following is not one of the activities listed as part of Spartan life?
(a) Spartans love to fish.
(b) Spartans train at controlling their fear.
(c) Spartans wrestle and run.
(d) Spartans make sacrifices to their gods.
5. When king Leonidas gives his speech on the night of the arrival of the Persian force, to whom is he speaking?
(a) He is speaking to the entire combined forces.
(b) He is speaking to the Spartan officers.
(c) He is speaking to the allied officers.
(d) He is speaking to all of the allied officers and the Spartan officers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Xeones' proof that he was there, and not that he simply heard of it?
2. What happens to the parents of Xeones?
3. By what other name is Sparta called?
4. Who does Diomache take with her?
5. Who comes for Rooster after he turns down the offer of mothax?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)