|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Polynikes, Chapter 20 - 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Egyptian number the Persian fleet?
(a) He numbers it at about two million men.
(b) He says that the Persian fleet is innumerable.
(c) He numbers it at sixty squadrons.
(d) He numbers it at one hundred ships.
2. If the krypteia have their way, how is Rooster to be punished for rejecting the offer?
(a) He is to be stripped of all rank and weapons and thrown out of the army.
(b) He and his family are to be put to death.
(c) He is to be allowed to go free.
(d) He is to be sold into slavery.
3. Why does Leonidas keep the three hundred from getting new cloaks?
(a) He wants to wait until after the battle so he will not get cloaks for those who won't survive.
(b) He feels that it would be a waste of the city's resources to replace the cloaks of men who will not get to use them long.
(c) He wants to wait until after the battle so the new cloaks won't get torn and bloody.
(d) He feels that there is no time for the ceremony, and that he and his men must leave immediately.
4. Why do the Spartans decide to send only three hundred soldiers to Thermopylae?
(a) The three hundred is only the advance force meant to hold off the Persians long enough for the main force to arrive.
(b) A larger force would not have room to fight, and would cause supply problems.
(c) The Spartan senate refuses to send troops to Thermopylae, and the three hundred are the only volunteers.
(d) The Spartans do not feel that the Persians are a real threat to them, so three hundred should more than suffice.
5. Why do the Lokrians not make the meeting?
(a) They turned to the Persian side.
(b) They were afraid of the Persians, and fled.
(c) They got the time wrong, as the months have different names than in Sparta.
(d) They were already defeated.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Diomache take with her?
2. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
3. What secret does Arete tell Xeones in Chapter 20?
4. What is exoterike harmoniea?
5. Who are the two narrators of this story?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)