|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3: Rooster, Chapter 12 - 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Diomache?
(a) Diomache is the cousin of Xeones.
(b) Diomache is one of the three Fates of Greek mythology.
(c) Diomache is the wife of Leonidas.
(d) Diomache is the concubine of Xerxes.
2. As Chapter 2 opens, what does Xeones say that the word Thermopylae means?
(a) It is Greek for "hot springs".
(b) It is Greek for "hot gates".
(c) It is Egyptian profanity.
(d) It is Greek for "spa".
3. What does Leonidas do after the Antirhion king surrenders?
(a) He takes the survivors as slaves.
(b) He spares the lives of the survivors and those in the city.
(c) He slaughters both soldiers and city folk alike.
(d) He executes the enemy soldiers, but allows the people in the city to survive.
4. What is the preferred weapon of Suicide?
(a) He prefers to use his short javelins, called Darning Needles.
(b) He prefers to use his two short swords.
(c) He prefers to use his spear, the Eight-footer.
(d) He prefers to use a longbow.
5. According to Xeones, each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one what?
(a) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one spear.
(b) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one helot.
(c) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one horse.
(d) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one Darning Needle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Spartan king march and fight, relative to the rest of his army?
2. What is the Antirhion army primarily composed of?
3. What causes Xeones to continue the story?
4. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
5. What is panoplia?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)