|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3: Rooster, Chapter 12 - 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Spartans count their dead?
(a) They walk the field of battle and count the dead.
(b) They each have half of a twig with their names on them, and the other half is in a basket. After the battle, they all match their halves to the others in the basket and count the remaining twigs.
(c) They stand in formation and count off.
(d) The senior surviving officer calls out the names of the soldiers, and who ever doesn't answer is counted as dead.
2. How do Xeones and Alexandros get across the gulf?
(a) They hire a boat.
(b) They swim.
(c) They take the ferry.
(d) They go around.
3. What are the Spartan battle games designed for?
(a) They are designed as entertainment for the people.
(b) They are designed to simulate battle for training.
(c) They are designed as a way to pass time.
(d) They are designed to entertain the boys and keep them out of trouble.
4. How old is Xeones when he flees the destruction of his home?
(a) He is twelve.
(b) He is eighteen.
(c) He is nine.
(d) He is in his middle teens.
5. Why does Xeones go out into a snowstorm to freeze to death?
(a) He is depressed that his girlfriend broke up with him.
(b) He prefers a death by freezing to the slow, painful death he will have due to his fever.
(c) He is depressed that his family is dead.
(d) He is depressed that he cannot fight with a spear.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, who dies on the final night of the training exercise?
2. As Chapter 2 opens, what does Xeones say that the word Thermopylae means?
3. According to Xeones, each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one what?
4. Why does Dienekes initially resist marrying Lady Arete?
5. What is the name of the half helot friend of Xeones?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)