|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3: Rooster, Chapter 12 - 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What obstacle separates the two sides of the battleground?
(a) A creek bisects the field.
(b) A swift river runs through the center of the field.
(c) A low stone wall bisects the field.
(d) A palisade bisects the field.
2. What do the Spartans do when they reach the field of battle?
(a) They charge recklessly into the melee.
(b) They immediately retreat.
(c) They calmly go about getting ready for battle, and wait for the enemy.
(d) They send some men to sneak around and flank the enemy.
3. What is exoterike harmoniea?
(a) Exoterike harmoniea is the musical harmony of a multistringed instrument.
(b) Exoterike harmoniea is a state of self composure attained through the control of fear.
(c) Exoterike harmoniea is a composition dedicated to the gods.
(d) Exoterike harmoniea is a state of union with one's fellows.
4. What do the people of Sparta sing as the soldiers march off to war?
(a) They sing the Spartan anthem.
(b) They sing praises to the god Apollo.
(c) They sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.
(d) They sing the hymn to Castor.
5. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
(a) He teaches that fear defeats the enemies of Sparta.
(b) He teaches that the only thing to fear is fear itself.
(c) He teaches that fear is silly and unmanly.
(d) He teaches that fear is a very real, and dangerous thing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Xeones become in the Spartan army?
2. Why does Polynikes feel that Spartans are superior to any other people?
3. What does agoge boua mean?
4. What is oktonyktia?
5. How old is Xeones when he flees the destruction of his home?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)