|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Alexandros, Chapter 10 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Xeones and Diomache separate?
(a) They separate at a fork in the road called Three Corners.
(b) They separate at The Crossroads.
(c) They separate just before reaching Sparta.
(d) They separate when they reach Athens.
2. Who is Xerxes?
(a) He is a great hero of the Punic Wars.
(b) He is the narrator of the story.
(c) He is the king of the Persian empire.
(d) He is the king of the Spartan city-state.
3. Why do the Spartans use that method to count their dead?
(a) It is an ancient tradition that has been passed down for generations.
(b) It is the Spartan law that the dead be counted in such a way.
(c) It helps to keep their minds occupied and off of the fact that only moments earlier they were slaughtering men like farmers reaping wheat.
(d) It is done to confuse the enemy.
4. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
(a) No more than twenty thousand were slain.
(b) No fewer than twenty thousand were slain.
(c) About four thousand were slain.
(d) About twenty thousand were slain.
5. How do the Spartans view war?
(a) The Spartans see war as a good form of population control.
(b) The Spartans see war as the only way to peace.
(c) The Spartans see war to be simply work in the business of killing as many of the enemy as possible.
(d) The Spartans see war as a terrible abomination.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Spartan king march and fight, relative to the rest of his army?
2. Alexandros wants to go to battle with the older Spartans. Who tries to stop him?
3. How do the Spartans count their dead?
4. Thermopylae is described as what?
5. Why do the Antirhions lose the battle?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)