|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Alexandros, Chapter 10 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Spartans view war?
(a) The Spartans see war to be simply work in the business of killing as many of the enemy as possible.
(b) The Spartans see war as a terrible abomination.
(c) The Spartans see war as a good form of population control.
(d) The Spartans see war as the only way to peace.
2. How do the Spartans count their dead?
(a) They walk the field of battle and count the dead.
(b) The senior surviving officer calls out the names of the soldiers, and who ever doesn't answer is counted as dead.
(c) They each have half of a twig with their names on them, and the other half is in a basket. After the battle, they all match their halves to the others in the basket and count the remaining twigs.
(d) They stand in formation and count off.
3. Alexandros wants to go to battle with the older Spartans. Who tries to stop him?
(a) Xeones tries to stop him.
(b) Polynikes tries to stop him.
(c) Leonidas tries to stop him.
(d) His mother tries to stop him.
4. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
(a) About twenty thousand were slain.
(b) About four thousand were slain.
(c) No more than twenty thousand were slain.
(d) No fewer than twenty thousand were slain.
5. Where does Bruxieus tell Xeones and Diomache to go?
(a) He tells them to go to Thessaly.
(b) He tells them to go to Athens.
(c) He tells them to go to Sparta.
(d) He tells them to go to Rome.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Xeones and Alexandros get across the gulf?
2. What do the Spartans call their science of fear discipline?
3. Who is Xeones' sparring partner?
4. The first time Xeones sees the Persian fleet, he meets an Egyptian. What was the Egyptian's name?
5. By what other name is Sparta called?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)