|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Alexandros, Chapter 10 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Spartan king march and fight, relative to the rest of his army?
(a) The king does not go with his army, but sends a general in his stead.
(b) The king usually stays at the center of his army, so that his men surround him at all times.
(c) The king commands from the back of the army where it is safer.
(d) The king remains at the front of the lines, where he can be a part of the action at all times.
2. What is the purpose of the speech Leonidas gives after this battle?
(a) He congratulates them on the victory, and commends their behavior towards the prisoners.
(b) He congratulates them on their great victory and releases them for a day to pillage the city.
(c) He thanks the survivors and honors the fallen, while refocusing their attention on the main battle to come.
(d) He berates them for their lack of courage and for their weakness.
3. According to Xeones, each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one what?
(a) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one Darning Needle.
(b) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one helot.
(c) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one spear.
(d) Each Spartan soldier goes into battle with at least one horse.
4. By what other name is Sparta called?
(a) Sparta is also called Lakedaemon.
(b) Sparta is also called Thermopylae.
(c) Sparta is also called Mount Oracle.
(d) Sparta is also called The Hot Gates.
5. What do the people of Sparta sing as the soldiers march off to war?
(a) They sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.
(b) They sing the hymn to Castor.
(c) They sing the Spartan anthem.
(d) They sing praises to the god Apollo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Antirhion army primarily composed of?
2. What happens to Xeones when he is caught stealing?
3. What kind of story does Xerxes want to hear in chapter one?
4. Why does Diomache feel that no man will want her?
5. What does the Egyptian tell the Spartans about the Persian invasion?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)