|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Alexandros, Chapter 8 - 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Egyptian number the Persian fleet?
(a) He says that the Persian fleet is innumerable.
(b) He numbers it at one hundred ships.
(c) He numbers it at about two million men.
(d) He numbers it at sixty squadrons.
2. Who is Xerxes?
(a) He is a great hero of the Punic Wars.
(b) He is the narrator of the story.
(c) He is the king of the Spartan city-state.
(d) He is the king of the Persian empire.
3. Who are the two narrators of this story?
(a) Ball Player and Rooster are the narrators.
(b) There is only one narrator, Xeones.
(c) The scribe and Xeones are the narrators.
(d) Xerxes and Leonidas are the narrators.
4. What happens to Xeones when he is caught stealing?
(a) The farmers drive nails through his hands.
(b) The farmers beat him severely.
(c) The farmers cut off his right hand.
(d) He is made to pay for what he stole.
5. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
(a) He tells the Egyptian that freedom must be bought with steel, not gold.
(b) He tells the Egyptian that it is better to live as a slave than to die free.
(c) He tells the Egyptian that freedom is a state of mind.
(d) He tells the Egyptian that the only free men are dead men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is othismos?
2. Xeones tells of an exercise that the people in the baggage train practice where they serve as punching bags for the Spartan heavy infantry. What is this exercise called?
3. Why does Dienekes initially resist marrying Lady Arete?
4. In Chapter 9, who dies on the final night of the training exercise?
5. Who is Suicide?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)