|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Alexandros, Chapter 8 - 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Polynikes do when he catches Alexandros handling his shield improperly?
(a) He beats the boy senseless.
(b) He puts the boy through a lengthy and humiliating training drill.
(c) He bans Alexandros from the practice fields for life.
(d) He kindly shows the boy the proper way of handling the shield.
2. As Chapter 2 opens, what does Xeones say that the word Thermopylae means?
(a) It is Greek for "hot gates".
(b) It is Egyptian profanity.
(c) It is Greek for "hot springs".
(d) It is Greek for "spa".
3. What is the name of the city-state where Xeones is from?
(a) Xeones is from in Astakos.
(b) Xeones is from in Sparta.
(c) Xeones is from in Athens.
(d) Xeones is from a country farm in Akarnania, not a city-state.
4. What happens to Xeones when he is caught stealing?
(a) He is made to pay for what he stole.
(b) The farmers drive nails through his hands.
(c) The farmers beat him severely.
(d) The farmers cut off his right hand.
5. In Chapter 9, who dies on the final night of the training exercise?
(a) Alexandros dies on the final night.
(b) Dekton dies on the final night.
(c) Hermion dies on the final night.
(d) Rooster dies on the final night.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Spartan boys punished?
2. What is panoplia?
3. What do the Spartans call their science of fear discipline?
4. How old is Xeones when he flees the destruction of his home?
5. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)