|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Alexandros, Chapter 8 - 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Dienekes' squire?
(a) Alexandros is his squire.
(b) Suicide is his squire.
(c) Xeones is his squire.
(d) Rooster is his squire.
2. How does the Egyptian number the Persian fleet?
(a) He says that the Persian fleet is innumerable.
(b) He numbers it at one hundred ships.
(c) He numbers it at sixty squadrons.
(d) He numbers it at about two million men.
3. What is the name of the city-state where Xeones is from?
(a) Xeones is from in Athens.
(b) Xeones is from in Sparta.
(c) Xeones is from a country farm in Akarnania, not a city-state.
(d) Xeones is from in Astakos.
4. What are the Spartan battle games designed for?
(a) They are designed to entertain the boys and keep them out of trouble.
(b) They are designed as a way to pass time.
(c) They are designed as entertainment for the people.
(d) They are designed to simulate battle for training.
5. Where does the Spartan king march and fight, relative to the rest of his army?
(a) The king commands from the back of the army where it is safer.
(b) The king usually stays at the center of his army, so that his men surround him at all times.
(c) The king remains at the front of the lines, where he can be a part of the action at all times.
(d) The king does not go with his army, but sends a general in his stead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Xeones tells of an exercise that the people in the baggage train practice where they serve as punching bags for the Spartan heavy infantry. What is this exercise called?
2. How does Xeones describe Dienekes?
3. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
4. How are Spartan boys punished?
5. Why is Xerxes warned about the story of the Spartans?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)