|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Alexandros, Chapter 8 - 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is othismos?
(a) Othismos is one of the ancient Spartan sacrificial rites.
(b) Othismos is the initial collision on the battlefield and the chaos that follows.
(c) Othismos is a field near Sparta where the Spartan boys train.
(d) Othismos is the euphoria that comes upon the victor after a battle.
2. Who is Suicide?
(a) He is an old statesman who sits on the senate.
(b) He is a farmer.
(c) He is a fierce warrior from Syria.
(d) He is a young fighter from Scythia.
3. What do the people of Sparta sing as the soldiers march off to war?
(a) They sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.
(b) They sing praises to the god Apollo.
(c) They sing the hymn to Castor.
(d) They sing the Spartan anthem.
4. What is exoterike harmoniea?
(a) Exoterike harmoniea is the musical harmony of a multistringed instrument.
(b) Exoterike harmoniea is a state of self composure attained through the control of fear.
(c) Exoterike harmoniea is a state of union with one's fellows.
(d) Exoterike harmoniea is a composition dedicated to the gods.
5. What does Apollo tell Xeones about the spear in his vision?
(a) Apollo tells Xeones that he will be killed by with a spear.
(b) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear is an inelegant weapon.
(c) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear will be the salvation of Sparta.
(d) Apollo tells Xeones that the spear is a great weapon.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Xeones tell his story?
2. What does Polynikes do after dealing with Alexandros?
3. Why does Diomache feel that no man will want her?
4. What does Polynikes do when he catches Alexandros handling his shield improperly?
5. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)