|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Alexandros, Chapter 8 - 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Spartan boys punished?
(a) They are starved for short periods of time and totally ignored.
(b) They are whipped with sticks.
(c) They are given harsh labor assignments as punishment.
(d) They are locked in small rooms, called hotboxes.
2. What does agoge boua mean?
(a) Agoge boua means honorable death.
(b) Agoge boua means eight-nighter.
(c) Agoge boua means battle rage.
(d) Agoge boua means training platoon.
3. What is oktonyktia?
(a) It is the armor and shield that each soldier must carry.
(b) It is the lake near Sparta.
(c) It is an eight-night training exercise.
(d) It is the final right of passage from boyhood to adult status.
4. Who is Xeones' sparring partner?
(a) Alexandros is Xeones' sparring partner.
(b) Xerxes is Xeones' sparring partner.
(c) Polynikes is Xeones' sparring partner.
(d) Rooster is Xeones' sparring partner.
5. What do the people of Sparta sing as the soldiers march off to war?
(a) They sing praises to the god Apollo.
(b) They sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.
(c) They sing the Spartan anthem.
(d) They sing the hymn to Castor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Xerxes warned about the story of the Spartans?
2. As Chapter 2 opens, what does Xeones say that the word Thermopylae means?
3. Thermopylae is described as what?
4. Who is Xerxes?
5. In Chapter 9, who dies on the final night of the training exercise?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)