|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Alexandros, Chapter 8 - 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
(a) The Thespians were the first to arrive.
(b) The Spartan Rangers were first to arrive.
(c) The Persians were the first to arrive.
(d) The Spartan heavy infantry were first to arrive.
2. As Chapter 2 opens, what does Xeones say that the word Thermopylae means?
(a) It is Egyptian profanity.
(b) It is Greek for "hot springs".
(c) It is Greek for "spa".
(d) It is Greek for "hot gates".
3. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
(a) No more than twenty thousand were slain.
(b) No fewer than twenty thousand were slain.
(c) About twenty thousand were slain.
(d) About four thousand were slain.
4. How does Xeones return to life from the grave?
(a) His spirit roams the battlefield until eventually settling back into his body.
(b) Apollo returns him to life.
(c) The Fate Clotho weaves his thread back into the pattern of life.
(d) He is given an elixir of immortality.
5. Who is Dienekes' squire?
(a) Alexandros is his squire.
(b) Xeones is his squire.
(c) Rooster is his squire.
(d) Suicide is his squire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the city-state where Xeones is from?
2. How old is Xeones when he flees the destruction of his home?
3. What does Xeones become in the Spartan army?
4. Who is Xeones' sparring partner?
5. Who is Xerxes?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)