|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Xerxes, Chapter 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Egyptian number the Persian fleet?
(a) He numbers it at about two million men.
(b) He numbers it at one hundred ships.
(c) He says that the Persian fleet is innumerable.
(d) He numbers it at sixty squadrons.
2. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
(a) He teaches that fear defeats the enemies of Sparta.
(b) He teaches that fear is a very real, and dangerous thing.
(c) He teaches that the only thing to fear is fear itself.
(d) He teaches that fear is silly and unmanly.
3. Who sacks the city-state that was the birthplace of Xeones?
(a) The Argives sack the city-state.
(b) The Carthagians sack the city-state.
(c) The Persians sack the city-state.
(d) The Spartans sack the city-state.
4. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
(a) The Thespians were the first to arrive.
(b) The Persians were the first to arrive.
(c) The Spartan Rangers were first to arrive.
(d) The Spartan heavy infantry were first to arrive.
5. How many sons has Arete born Dienekes?
(a) They have had one son.
(b) They have had only daughters.
(c) They have had many sons.
(d) They have had three sons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Apollo tell Xeones about the spear in his vision?
2. Why is Xerxes warned about the story of the Spartans?
3. Why does Xeones go out into a snowstorm to freeze to death?
4. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
5. What does Xeones become in the Spartan army?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)