|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Xerxes, Chapter 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Xeones tell his story?
(a) He tells it to Leonidas.
(b) He tells it to a scribe.
(c) He tells it to Lady Arete.
(d) He tells it to Xerxes.
2. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
(a) He tells the Egyptian that freedom is a state of mind.
(b) He tells the Egyptian that it is better to live as a slave than to die free.
(c) He tells the Egyptian that the only free men are dead men.
(d) He tells the Egyptian that freedom must be bought with steel, not gold.
3. How does the Egyptian number the Persian fleet?
(a) He numbers it at sixty squadrons.
(b) He says that the Persian fleet is innumerable.
(c) He numbers it at about two million men.
(d) He numbers it at one hundred ships.
4. Why does Xeones go out into a snowstorm to freeze to death?
(a) He is depressed that his girlfriend broke up with him.
(b) He is depressed that he cannot fight with a spear.
(c) He is depressed that his family is dead.
(d) He prefers a death by freezing to the slow, painful death he will have due to his fever.
5. What is the reason for Xeones returning to life?
(a) Xeones returns to warn the Spartan people that the battle has been lost.
(b) Xeones returns to avenge his people.
(c) Due to the violent nature of his death, the spirit of Xeones can not pass on to the world of the dead.
(d) Xeones is to tell the story of the Battle of Thermopylae.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of story does Xerxes want to hear in chapter one?
2. By what other name is Sparta called?
3. How are Spartan boys punished?
4. What is the preferred weapon of Suicide?
5. Why is Xerxes warned about the story of the Spartans?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)