|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Xerxes, Chapter 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
(a) He tells the Egyptian that the only free men are dead men.
(b) He tells the Egyptian that it is better to live as a slave than to die free.
(c) He tells the Egyptian that freedom is a state of mind.
(d) He tells the Egyptian that freedom must be bought with steel, not gold.
2. How old is Xeones when he flees the destruction of his home?
(a) He is in his middle teens.
(b) He is nine.
(c) He is eighteen.
(d) He is twelve.
3. How are Spartan boys punished?
(a) They are starved for short periods of time and totally ignored.
(b) They are whipped with sticks.
(c) They are locked in small rooms, called hotboxes.
(d) They are given harsh labor assignments as punishment.
4. Why is Xerxes warned about the story of the Spartans?
(a) It contains much foul language.
(b) It is long and boring.
(c) It is false.
(d) It is difficult to understand.
5. How does the Egyptian number the Persian fleet?
(a) He numbers it at about two million men.
(b) He numbers it at sixty squadrons.
(c) He numbers it at one hundred ships.
(d) He says that the Persian fleet is innumerable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the city-state where Xeones is from?
2. How does Xeones return to life from the grave?
3. Who are the two narrators of this story?
4. Why does Diomache feel that no man will want her?
5. Why does Xeones go out into a snowstorm to freeze to death?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)