|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Xerxes, Chapter 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Xerxes warned about the story of the Spartans?
(a) It is false.
(b) It is difficult to understand.
(c) It is long and boring.
(d) It contains much foul language.
2. Why does Diomache feel that no man will want her?
(a) She was raped.
(b) She is too old.
(c) She has a large scar on her face.
(d) She is ugly.
3. Who is Diomache?
(a) Diomache is the cousin of Xeones.
(b) Diomache is the wife of Leonidas.
(c) Diomache is one of the three Fates of Greek mythology.
(d) Diomache is the concubine of Xerxes.
4. Why does Dienekes initially resist marrying Lady Arete?
(a) He is already married.
(b) Despite his deep love for her, his ethics stand in the way.
(c) He feels that she was the death of his brother, and wants nothing to do with her.
(d) He does not love her.
5. How old is Xeones when he flees the destruction of his home?
(a) He is nine.
(b) He is twelve.
(c) He is in his middle teens.
(d) He is eighteen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
2. Xeones tells of an exercise that the people in the baggage train practice where they serve as punching bags for the Spartan heavy infantry. What is this exercise called?
3. Who is Xerxes?
4. Who are the two narrators of this story?
5. By what other name is Sparta called?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)