|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Xerxes, Chapter 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
(a) The Spartan Rangers were first to arrive.
(b) The Persians were the first to arrive.
(c) The Thespians were the first to arrive.
(d) The Spartan heavy infantry were first to arrive.
2. What does the Egyptian tell the Spartans about the Persian invasion?
(a) He tells them to never surrender.
(b) He tells them that Xerxes will slaughter them regardless of what they do.
(c) He tells them that the Persians would be easily defeated while still at sea.
(d) He tells them to join Xerxes voluntarily like the Egyptians did.
3. Xeones tells of an exercise that the people in the baggage train practice where they serve as punching bags for the Spartan heavy infantry. What is this exercise called?
(a) It is called The Breaking.
(b) It is called The Oak.
(c) It is called sparring.
(d) It is called The Ploughman's Blade.
4. What is the reason for Xeones returning to life?
(a) Xeones is to tell the story of the Battle of Thermopylae.
(b) Xeones returns to avenge his people.
(c) Due to the violent nature of his death, the spirit of Xeones can not pass on to the world of the dead.
(d) Xeones returns to warn the Spartan people that the battle has been lost.
5. Who is Xerxes?
(a) He is the king of the Spartan city-state.
(b) He is a great hero of the Punic Wars.
(c) He is the narrator of the story.
(d) He is the king of the Persian empire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Suicide?
2. How does the Egyptian number the Persian fleet?
3. Thermopylae is described as what?
4. How many sons has Arete born Dienekes?
5. What kind of story does Xerxes want to hear in chapter one?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)