|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Xerxes, Chapter 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the preferred weapon of Suicide?
(a) He prefers to use his two short swords.
(b) He prefers to use his spear, the Eight-footer.
(c) He prefers to use his short javelins, called Darning Needles.
(d) He prefers to use a longbow.
2. How many sons has Arete born Dienekes?
(a) They have had only daughters.
(b) They have had one son.
(c) They have had three sons.
(d) They have had many sons.
3. As Chapter 2 opens, what does Xeones say that the word Thermopylae means?
(a) It is Greek for "hot gates".
(b) It is Egyptian profanity.
(c) It is Greek for "hot springs".
(d) It is Greek for "spa".
4. What kind of story does Xerxes want to hear in chapter one?
(a) He wants to hear "A Tale of Two Cities".
(b) He wants to hear about Spartan life during times of peace.
(c) He wants to hear a tale of generals and kings.
(d) He wants to hear "the infantryman's tale".
5. Thermopylae is described as what?
(a) Thermopylae is described as a holy place, dedicated to the worship of the gods.
(b) Thermopylae is described as an ancient battle ground where many battles have taken place over the centuries.
(c) Thermopylae is described as a place where travelers go to use the hot mineral baths.
(d) Thermopylae is described as a small fishing village where the Persians land their invasion force.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Egyptian number the Persian fleet?
2. What is the reason for Xeones returning to life?
3. Who is Diomache?
4. What happens to the parents of Xeones?
5. What does the Egyptian tell the Spartans about the Persian invasion?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)