|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Xerxes, Chapter 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sacks the city-state that was the birthplace of Xeones?
(a) The Argives sack the city-state.
(b) The Spartans sack the city-state.
(c) The Persians sack the city-state.
(d) The Carthagians sack the city-state.
2. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
(a) He tells the Egyptian that the only free men are dead men.
(b) He tells the Egyptian that freedom is a state of mind.
(c) He tells the Egyptian that freedom must be bought with steel, not gold.
(d) He tells the Egyptian that it is better to live as a slave than to die free.
3. As Chapter 2 opens, what does Xeones say that the word Thermopylae means?
(a) It is Egyptian profanity.
(b) It is Greek for "hot springs".
(c) It is Greek for "hot gates".
(d) It is Greek for "spa".
4. By what other name is Sparta called?
(a) Sparta is also called The Hot Gates.
(b) Sparta is also called Thermopylae.
(c) Sparta is also called Lakedaemon.
(d) Sparta is also called Mount Oracle.
5. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
(a) About four thousand were slain.
(b) No fewer than twenty thousand were slain.
(c) No more than twenty thousand were slain.
(d) About twenty thousand were slain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Diomache feel that no man will want her?
2. How old is Xeones when he flees the destruction of his home?
3. Why is Xerxes warned about the story of the Spartans?
4. How many sons has Arete born Dienekes?
5. What is Xeones trying to steal when he is caught?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)