|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Xerxes, Chapter 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Xerxes?
(a) He is the king of the Persian empire.
(b) He is a great hero of the Punic Wars.
(c) He is the narrator of the story.
(d) He is the king of the Spartan city-state.
2. As Chapter 2 opens, what does Xeones say that the word Thermopylae means?
(a) It is Egyptian profanity.
(b) It is Greek for "hot gates".
(c) It is Greek for "spa".
(d) It is Greek for "hot springs".
3. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
(a) He tells the Egyptian that freedom is a state of mind.
(b) He tells the Egyptian that freedom must be bought with steel, not gold.
(c) He tells the Egyptian that it is better to live as a slave than to die free.
(d) He tells the Egyptian that the only free men are dead men.
4. How old is Xeones when he flees the destruction of his home?
(a) He is in his middle teens.
(b) He is eighteen.
(c) He is twelve.
(d) He is nine.
5. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
(a) No more than twenty thousand were slain.
(b) No fewer than twenty thousand were slain.
(c) About twenty thousand were slain.
(d) About four thousand were slain.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Xeones return to life from the grave?
2. How many sons has Arete born Dienekes?
3. Who is Diomache?
4. Why does Dienekes initially resist marrying Lady Arete?
5. What is the preferred weapon of Suicide?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)