|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Xerxes, Chapter 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Xerxes?
(a) He is the king of the Spartan city-state.
(b) He is a great hero of the Punic Wars.
(c) He is the narrator of the story.
(d) He is the king of the Persian empire.
2. Thermopylae is described as what?
(a) Thermopylae is described as a place where travelers go to use the hot mineral baths.
(b) Thermopylae is described as a holy place, dedicated to the worship of the gods.
(c) Thermopylae is described as an ancient battle ground where many battles have taken place over the centuries.
(d) Thermopylae is described as a small fishing village where the Persians land their invasion force.
3. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
(a) He tells the Egyptian that it is better to live as a slave than to die free.
(b) He tells the Egyptian that freedom must be bought with steel, not gold.
(c) He tells the Egyptian that freedom is a state of mind.
(d) He tells the Egyptian that the only free men are dead men.
4. What does Xeones become in the Spartan army?
(a) He becomes a general.
(b) He becomes a swordsman.
(c) He becomes an archer.
(d) He becomes a spearman.
5. What does the Egyptian tell the Spartans about the Persian invasion?
(a) He tells them to join Xerxes voluntarily like the Egyptians did.
(b) He tells them that Xerxes will slaughter them regardless of what they do.
(c) He tells them to never surrender.
(d) He tells them that the Persians would be easily defeated while still at sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Xerxes warned about the story of the Spartans?
2. What is the reason for Xeones returning to life?
3. The first time Xeones sees the Persian fleet, he meets an Egyptian. What was the Egyptian's name?
4. What does Apollo tell Xeones about the spear in his vision?
5. How does the Egyptian number the Persian fleet?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)