|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Xerxes, Chapter 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the city-state where Xeones is from?
(a) Xeones is from in Sparta.
(b) Xeones is from in Athens.
(c) Xeones is from in Astakos.
(d) Xeones is from a country farm in Akarnania, not a city-state.
2. What happens to Xeones when he is caught stealing?
(a) The farmers beat him severely.
(b) The farmers drive nails through his hands.
(c) The farmers cut off his right hand.
(d) He is made to pay for what he stole.
3. Who is Xerxes?
(a) He is the narrator of the story.
(b) He is the king of the Spartan city-state.
(c) He is a great hero of the Punic Wars.
(d) He is the king of the Persian empire.
4. Who sacks the city-state that was the birthplace of Xeones?
(a) The Argives sack the city-state.
(b) The Carthagians sack the city-state.
(c) The Spartans sack the city-state.
(d) The Persians sack the city-state.
5. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
(a) No fewer than twenty thousand were slain.
(b) No more than twenty thousand were slain.
(c) About four thousand were slain.
(d) About twenty thousand were slain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Xeones go out into a snowstorm to freeze to death?
2. What is Xeones trying to steal when he is caught?
3. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
4. Why is Xerxes warned about the story of the Spartans?
5. What is the preferred weapon of Suicide?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)