|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Xerxes, Chapter 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the parents of Xeones?
(a) They are killed trying to defend their home.
(b) They also escape, but are separated and spend years searching for him.
(c) They are captured and sold into slavery.
(d) They escape with him.
2. What is the reason for Xeones returning to life?
(a) Xeones returns to warn the Spartan people that the battle has been lost.
(b) Due to the violent nature of his death, the spirit of Xeones can not pass on to the world of the dead.
(c) Xeones returns to avenge his people.
(d) Xeones is to tell the story of the Battle of Thermopylae.
3. Thermopylae is described as what?
(a) Thermopylae is described as an ancient battle ground where many battles have taken place over the centuries.
(b) Thermopylae is described as a small fishing village where the Persians land their invasion force.
(c) Thermopylae is described as a place where travelers go to use the hot mineral baths.
(d) Thermopylae is described as a holy place, dedicated to the worship of the gods.
4. Who is Xerxes?
(a) He is the king of the Persian empire.
(b) He is a great hero of the Punic Wars.
(c) He is the narrator of the story.
(d) He is the king of the Spartan city-state.
5. To whom does Xeones tell his story?
(a) He tells it to a scribe.
(b) He tells it to Leonidas.
(c) He tells it to Lady Arete.
(d) He tells it to Xerxes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sons has Arete born Dienekes?
2. What does the Egyptian tell the Spartans about the Persian invasion?
3. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
4. How old is Xeones when he flees the destruction of his home?
5. As Chapter 2 opens, what does Xeones say that the word Thermopylae means?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)