|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Xerxes, Chapter 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Chapter 2 opens, what does Xeones say that the word Thermopylae means?
(a) It is Greek for "hot gates".
(b) It is Greek for "hot springs".
(c) It is Egyptian profanity.
(d) It is Greek for "spa".
2. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
(a) He tells the Egyptian that it is better to live as a slave than to die free.
(b) He tells the Egyptian that freedom is a state of mind.
(c) He tells the Egyptian that freedom must be bought with steel, not gold.
(d) He tells the Egyptian that the only free men are dead men.
3. What is the preferred weapon of Suicide?
(a) He prefers to use his short javelins, called Darning Needles.
(b) He prefers to use his two short swords.
(c) He prefers to use his spear, the Eight-footer.
(d) He prefers to use a longbow.
4. Who is Diomache?
(a) Diomache is one of the three Fates of Greek mythology.
(b) Diomache is the cousin of Xeones.
(c) Diomache is the wife of Leonidas.
(d) Diomache is the concubine of Xerxes.
5. What is the name of the city-state where Xeones is from?
(a) Xeones is from a country farm in Akarnania, not a city-state.
(b) Xeones is from in Astakos.
(c) Xeones is from in Sparta.
(d) Xeones is from in Athens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Egyptian tell the Spartans about the Persian invasion?
2. What is the reason for Xeones returning to life?
3. How does Xeones describe Dienekes?
4. Why does Dienekes initially resist marrying Lady Arete?
5. How many sons has Arete born Dienekes?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)