|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Xerxes, Chapter 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reason for Xeones returning to life?
(a) Xeones returns to avenge his people.
(b) Xeones returns to warn the Spartan people that the battle has been lost.
(c) Xeones is to tell the story of the Battle of Thermopylae.
(d) Due to the violent nature of his death, the spirit of Xeones can not pass on to the world of the dead.
2. How old is Xeones when he flees the destruction of his home?
(a) He is in his middle teens.
(b) He is twelve.
(c) He is nine.
(d) He is eighteen.
3. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
(a) About twenty thousand were slain.
(b) No more than twenty thousand were slain.
(c) No fewer than twenty thousand were slain.
(d) About four thousand were slain.
4. Why does Dienekes initially resist marrying Lady Arete?
(a) Despite his deep love for her, his ethics stand in the way.
(b) He feels that she was the death of his brother, and wants nothing to do with her.
(c) He is already married.
(d) He does not love her.
5. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
(a) He teaches that fear is a very real, and dangerous thing.
(b) He teaches that the only thing to fear is fear itself.
(c) He teaches that fear defeats the enemies of Sparta.
(d) He teaches that fear is silly and unmanly.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what other name is Sparta called?
2. Who is Suicide?
3. How many sons has Arete born Dienekes?
4. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
5. Why does Xeones go out into a snowstorm to freeze to death?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)