|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Xerxes, Chapter 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Xeones trying to steal when he is caught?
(a) He is trying to steal a chicken.
(b) He is trying to steal a horse.
(c) He is trying to steal a goose.
(d) He is trying to steal some cabbage.
2. Why does Dienekes initially resist marrying Lady Arete?
(a) He feels that she was the death of his brother, and wants nothing to do with her.
(b) Despite his deep love for her, his ethics stand in the way.
(c) He does not love her.
(d) He is already married.
3. Who sacks the city-state that was the birthplace of Xeones?
(a) The Persians sack the city-state.
(b) The Carthagians sack the city-state.
(c) The Spartans sack the city-state.
(d) The Argives sack the city-state.
4. What does the Egyptian tell the Spartans about the Persian invasion?
(a) He tells them to join Xerxes voluntarily like the Egyptians did.
(b) He tells them that the Persians would be easily defeated while still at sea.
(c) He tells them to never surrender.
(d) He tells them that Xerxes will slaughter them regardless of what they do.
5. Who is Diomache?
(a) Diomache is the cousin of Xeones.
(b) Diomache is one of the three Fates of Greek mythology.
(c) Diomache is the wife of Leonidas.
(d) Diomache is the concubine of Xerxes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
2. How many sons has Arete born Dienekes?
3. Why does Diomache feel that no man will want her?
4. How does Xeones describe Dienekes?
5. How old is Xeones when he flees the destruction of his home?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)