|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Xerxes, Chapter 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Xeones describe Dienekes?
(a) He describes him as a young warrior, inexperienced in battle, but fierce and strong.
(b) He describes him as a great hero.
(c) He describes him as a warrior over forty-years-old who carries wounds from many battles.
(d) He describes him as a silly old man, full of outdated ideas.
2. The first time Xeones sees the Persian fleet, he meets an Egyptian. What was the Egyptian's name?
(a) His name was Agamemnon.
(b) His name was Steve.
(c) His name was Ptammitechus.
(d) His name was Tommie.
3. Thermopylae is described as what?
(a) Thermopylae is described as a holy place, dedicated to the worship of the gods.
(b) Thermopylae is described as a small fishing village where the Persians land their invasion force.
(c) Thermopylae is described as an ancient battle ground where many battles have taken place over the centuries.
(d) Thermopylae is described as a place where travelers go to use the hot mineral baths.
4. How are Spartan boys punished?
(a) They are locked in small rooms, called hotboxes.
(b) They are starved for short periods of time and totally ignored.
(c) They are given harsh labor assignments as punishment.
(d) They are whipped with sticks.
5. What kind of story does Xerxes want to hear in chapter one?
(a) He wants to hear "the infantryman's tale".
(b) He wants to hear about Spartan life during times of peace.
(c) He wants to hear a tale of generals and kings.
(d) He wants to hear "A Tale of Two Cities".
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Xeones when he is caught stealing?
2. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
3. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
4. Who sacks the city-state that was the birthplace of Xeones?
5. Why does Xeones go out into a snowstorm to freeze to death?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)