|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Xerxes, Chapter 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
(a) He teaches that fear is a very real, and dangerous thing.
(b) He teaches that the only thing to fear is fear itself.
(c) He teaches that fear defeats the enemies of Sparta.
(d) He teaches that fear is silly and unmanly.
2. Who is Diomache?
(a) Diomache is one of the three Fates of Greek mythology.
(b) Diomache is the concubine of Xerxes.
(c) Diomache is the cousin of Xeones.
(d) Diomache is the wife of Leonidas.
3. What is Xeones trying to steal when he is caught?
(a) He is trying to steal a goose.
(b) He is trying to steal a chicken.
(c) He is trying to steal some cabbage.
(d) He is trying to steal a horse.
4. What is the reason for Xeones returning to life?
(a) Xeones returns to avenge his people.
(b) Due to the violent nature of his death, the spirit of Xeones can not pass on to the world of the dead.
(c) Xeones returns to warn the Spartan people that the battle has been lost.
(d) Xeones is to tell the story of the Battle of Thermopylae.
5. What is the preferred weapon of Suicide?
(a) He prefers to use a longbow.
(b) He prefers to use his spear, the Eight-footer.
(c) He prefers to use his two short swords.
(d) He prefers to use his short javelins, called Darning Needles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dienekes initially resist marrying Lady Arete?
2. To whom does Xeones tell his story?
3. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
4. In the first chapter, about how many Persians are said to have been slain in just three days of battle with the Spartans?
5. The first time Xeones sees the Persian fleet, he meets an Egyptian. What was the Egyptian's name?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)