|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 7: Leonidas, Chapter 30 - 34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes for Rooster after he turns down the offer of mothax?
(a) The royal guard came for him.
(b) No one comes for him.
(c) Polynikes and four assassins of the krypteia came for him.
(d) Twenty Peers come for him.
2. Thermopylae is described as what?
(a) Thermopylae is described as a small fishing village where the Persians land their invasion force.
(b) Thermopylae is described as a place where travelers go to use the hot mineral baths.
(c) Thermopylae is described as an ancient battle ground where many battles have taken place over the centuries.
(d) Thermopylae is described as a holy place, dedicated to the worship of the gods.
3. When the dog chases the rabbit between the two armies and then kills it, what do the Greeks think it means?
(a) They take it as a sign that the Persians will overpower them.
(b) They find it amusing and take it as good entertainment.
(c) They take it as a sign that they will be victorious.
(d) They think that the dog crushing the rabbit in its jaws signifies the empire of Persia crushing Greece.
4. What does Leonidas do after the Antirhion king surrenders?
(a) He slaughters both soldiers and city folk alike.
(b) He spares the lives of the survivors and those in the city.
(c) He takes the survivors as slaves.
(d) He executes the enemy soldiers, but allows the people in the city to survive.
5. Where does the Spartan king march and fight, relative to the rest of his army?
(a) The king does not go with his army, but sends a general in his stead.
(b) The king usually stays at the center of his army, so that his men surround him at all times.
(c) The king commands from the back of the army where it is safer.
(d) The king remains at the front of the lines, where he can be a part of the action at all times.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the raiding party?
2. Why does Diomache feel that no man will want her?
3. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians?
4. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians to do about the Persian invasion?
5. After some of the helots and Thespians leave, about how many are left in the Greek forces?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)