|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 7: Leonidas, Chapter 30 - 34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What point does the author illustrate in these battle scenes about ancient warfare?
(a) War is a bloody business, and not for the faint of heart.
(b) War is a great and glorious undertaking.
(c) War is, unfortunately, unavoidable.
(d) Men who make their business warfare rather than farming perform better on the field.
2. What do the Spartans do when they reach the field of battle?
(a) They charge recklessly into the melee.
(b) They calmly go about getting ready for battle, and wait for the enemy.
(c) They immediately retreat.
(d) They send some men to sneak around and flank the enemy.
3. Who stands to defend Athens during the Persian attack?
(a) Athens is defended by the full Athenian legions.
(b) Athens is completely abandoned.
(c) Athens is defended by the Spartans.
(d) Athens is defended by a small band of fanatics only.
4. What are the names of the two dogs that Xeones and Diomache find?
(a) The dogs are Lucky and Bruno.
(b) The dogs are Leonidas and Xerxes.
(c) The dogs are Bruno and Flanx.
(d) The dogs are Happy and Lucky.
5. What do the Spartans discover on their way to the tent of Xerxes?
(a) They find out that Xerxes has caught wind of their plan, and has moved his tent.
(b) They find out that Rooster is leading them into a trap.
(c) They discover a much better patch of ground on which to fight the Persians.
(d) They find out that Xerxes has found a path around the gates, and that he has ordered troops to surround the Greeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the dog chases the rabbit between the two armies and then kills it, what do the Greeks think it means?
2. Xeones tells of an exercise that the people in the baggage train practice where they serve as punching bags for the Spartan heavy infantry. What is this exercise called?
3. What do the people of Sparta sing as the soldiers march off to war?
4. What does Leonidas say is the tell-all when battle comes?
5. What does Polynikes do after dealing with Alexandros?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)