|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Alexandros, Chapter 10 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is othismos?
(a) Othismos is the initial collision on the battlefield and the chaos that follows.
(b) Othismos is the euphoria that comes upon the victor after a battle.
(c) Othismos is a field near Sparta where the Spartan boys train.
(d) Othismos is one of the ancient Spartan sacrificial rites.
2. What do the people of Sparta sing as the soldiers march off to war?
(a) They sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.
(b) They sing the hymn to Castor.
(c) They sing praises to the god Apollo.
(d) They sing the Spartan anthem.
3. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
(a) He teaches that fear defeats the enemies of Sparta.
(b) He teaches that the only thing to fear is fear itself.
(c) He teaches that fear is a very real, and dangerous thing.
(d) He teaches that fear is silly and unmanly.
4. How do the Spartans view war?
(a) The Spartans see war as a terrible abomination.
(b) The Spartans see war as the only way to peace.
(c) The Spartans see war as a good form of population control.
(d) The Spartans see war to be simply work in the business of killing as many of the enemy as possible.
5. What does Xeones become in the Spartan army?
(a) He becomes a general.
(b) He becomes an archer.
(c) He becomes a swordsman.
(d) He becomes a spearman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Spartans count their dead?
2. How are Spartan boys punished?
3. Who were the first soldiers to arrive at Thermopylae?
4. By what other name is Sparta called?
5. What is the name of the city-state where Xeones is from?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)