|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Alexandros, Chapter 10 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Spartans count their dead?
(a) They walk the field of battle and count the dead.
(b) They each have half of a twig with their names on them, and the other half is in a basket. After the battle, they all match their halves to the others in the basket and count the remaining twigs.
(c) The senior surviving officer calls out the names of the soldiers, and who ever doesn't answer is counted as dead.
(d) They stand in formation and count off.
2. What is oktonyktia?
(a) It is the final right of passage from boyhood to adult status.
(b) It is the lake near Sparta.
(c) It is the armor and shield that each soldier must carry.
(d) It is an eight-night training exercise.
3. What do the people of Sparta sing as the soldiers march off to war?
(a) They sing the hymn to Castor.
(b) They sing the Spartan anthem.
(c) They sing praises to the god Apollo.
(d) They sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.
4. How does the Egyptian number the Persian fleet?
(a) He says that the Persian fleet is innumerable.
(b) He numbers it at about two million men.
(c) He numbers it at one hundred ships.
(d) He numbers it at sixty squadrons.
5. Where does Bruxieus tell Xeones and Diomache to go?
(a) He tells them to go to Rome.
(b) He tells them to go to Athens.
(c) He tells them to go to Sparta.
(d) He tells them to go to Thessaly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Xeones become in the Spartan army?
2. Who are the two narrators of this story?
3. Why do the Spartans use that method to count their dead?
4. What is the purpose of the speech Leonidas gives after this battle?
5. Xeones tells of an exercise that the people in the baggage train practice where they serve as punching bags for the Spartan heavy infantry. What is this exercise called?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)