|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Polynikes, Chapter 18 - 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Artemisia tell Xerxes that he cannot leave the field of battle?
(a) The Persians have no hope of taking Greece without their king.
(b) If Xerxes leaves his army in the hands of a general, the general might return victorious from Greece only to take over the empire for himself.
(c) She tells Xerxes that by returning to Persia, he would be missing a grand show in the defeat of the Greeks.
(d) She tells him that if he leaves after the Oracle spoke to the Spartans, that all of Greece would say that he was running from a dream.
2. What is the Antirhion army primarily composed of?
(a) It is an unorganized rabble of bandits and highwaymen.
(b) It is mainly mercenaries hired from neighboring kingdoms.
(c) It is mainly citizen soldiers.
(d) It is mainly well trained regulars, career soldiers.
3. What is the purpose of the speech Leonidas gives after this battle?
(a) He thanks the survivors and honors the fallen, while refocusing their attention on the main battle to come.
(b) He congratulates them on their great victory and releases them for a day to pillage the city.
(c) He berates them for their lack of courage and for their weakness.
(d) He congratulates them on the victory, and commends their behavior towards the prisoners.
4. What are the Spartan battle games designed for?
(a) They are designed to simulate battle for training.
(b) They are designed to entertain the boys and keep them out of trouble.
(c) They are designed as entertainment for the people.
(d) They are designed as a way to pass time.
5. What does Leonidas do after the Antirhion king surrenders?
(a) He takes the survivors as slaves.
(b) He spares the lives of the survivors and those in the city.
(c) He slaughters both soldiers and city folk alike.
(d) He executes the enemy soldiers, but allows the people in the city to survive.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rooster feel about Alexandros smuggling special salve for Xeones?
2. Why does Xeones refuse to narrate anymore?
3. Why do the Spartans use that method to count their dead?
4. Who is the half helot's father?
5. Who stands to defend Athens during the Persian attack?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)