|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Polynikes, Chapter 18 - 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Spartans use that method to count their dead?
(a) It is the Spartan law that the dead be counted in such a way.
(b) It is done to confuse the enemy.
(c) It helps to keep their minds occupied and off of the fact that only moments earlier they were slaughtering men like farmers reaping wheat.
(d) It is an ancient tradition that has been passed down for generations.
2. By what other name is Sparta called?
(a) Sparta is also called Lakedaemon.
(b) Sparta is also called The Hot Gates.
(c) Sparta is also called Thermopylae.
(d) Sparta is also called Mount Oracle.
3. What point does the author illustrate in these battle scenes about ancient warfare?
(a) Men who make their business warfare rather than farming perform better on the field.
(b) War is a great and glorious undertaking.
(c) War is, unfortunately, unavoidable.
(d) War is a bloody business, and not for the faint of heart.
4. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
(a) He teaches that fear is a very real, and dangerous thing.
(b) He teaches that fear defeats the enemies of Sparta.
(c) He teaches that fear is silly and unmanly.
(d) He teaches that the only thing to fear is fear itself.
5. What is panoplia?
(a) It is the armor and shield that each soldier must carry.
(b) It is the lake near Sparta.
(c) It is the final right of passage from boyhood to adult status.
(d) It is an eight night training exercise.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is othismos?
2. What are the Spartan battle games designed for?
3. How many sons has Arete born Dienekes?
4. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians?
5. What is the name of the half helot friend of Xeones?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)