|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Polynikes, Chapter 18 - 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Spartan king march and fight, relative to the rest of his army?
(a) The king usually stays at the center of his army, so that his men surround him at all times.
(b) The king commands from the back of the army where it is safer.
(c) The king remains at the front of the lines, where he can be a part of the action at all times.
(d) The king does not go with his army, but sends a general in his stead.
2. What is panoplia?
(a) It is an eight night training exercise.
(b) It is the armor and shield that each soldier must carry.
(c) It is the final right of passage from boyhood to adult status.
(d) It is the lake near Sparta.
3. What does Dienekes teach about fear?
(a) He teaches that the only thing to fear is fear itself.
(b) He teaches that fear defeats the enemies of Sparta.
(c) He teaches that fear is silly and unmanly.
(d) He teaches that fear is a very real, and dangerous thing.
4. How do the soldiers show their disfavor when Polynikes is scolding Alexandros?
(a) They rap their knuckles on the table.
(b) They join Polynikes in berating Alexandros.
(c) They politely leave the area to avoid overhearing.
(d) They ignore the speech.
5. Why does Diomache feel that no man will want her?
(a) She has a large scar on her face.
(b) She was raped.
(c) She is ugly.
(d) She is too old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is othismos?
2. What is the reason that Xerxes comes to Greece?
3. What does Dienekes tell the Egyptian about freedom?
4. Who throws an axe at Xeones and cuts Alexandros' wrist during the tent raid?
5. By what warrior code are young Spartans raised?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)