|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Polynikes, Chapter 18 - 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Spartans use that method to count their dead?
(a) It is an ancient tradition that has been passed down for generations.
(b) It is the Spartan law that the dead be counted in such a way.
(c) It is done to confuse the enemy.
(d) It helps to keep their minds occupied and off of the fact that only moments earlier they were slaughtering men like farmers reaping wheat.
2. What does the Oracle tell the Spartans?
(a) They will lose many soldiers, but they will win the fight.
(b) They will not lose a single officer, and the city will stand.
(c) They will lose a king, and then the city will fall.
(d) They will either lose a king, or the city will fall.
3. What do the people of Sparta sing as the soldiers march off to war?
(a) They sing praises to the god Apollo.
(b) They sing the Spartan anthem.
(c) They sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.
(d) They sing the hymn to Castor.
4. How does Xeones describe Dienekes?
(a) He describes him as a young warrior, inexperienced in battle, but fierce and strong.
(b) He describes him as a silly old man, full of outdated ideas.
(c) He describes him as a warrior over forty-years-old who carries wounds from many battles.
(d) He describes him as a great hero.
5. How are Spartan boys punished?
(a) They are locked in small rooms, called hotboxes.
(b) They are whipped with sticks.
(c) They are starved for short periods of time and totally ignored.
(d) They are given harsh labor assignments as punishment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the half helot's father?
2. What happens to Xeones when he is caught stealing?
3. What is the half helot's nickname?
4. How does Rooster feel about Alexandros smuggling special salve for Xeones?
5. What does agoge boua mean?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)