|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Polynikes, Chapter 18 - 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Antirhions lose the battle?
(a) They allow fear to take control.
(b) They lack the advanced weaponry of the Spartans.
(c) They are far outnumbered by the Spartans.
(d) There are traitors in the line.
2. What is the Antirhion army primarily composed of?
(a) It is an unorganized rabble of bandits and highwaymen.
(b) It is mainly well trained regulars, career soldiers.
(c) It is mainly mercenaries hired from neighboring kingdoms.
(d) It is mainly citizen soldiers.
3. What does Leonidas do after the Antirhion king surrenders?
(a) He takes the survivors as slaves.
(b) He spares the lives of the survivors and those in the city.
(c) He executes the enemy soldiers, but allows the people in the city to survive.
(d) He slaughters both soldiers and city folk alike.
4. Why does Artemisia tell Xerxes that he cannot leave the field of battle?
(a) She tells him that if he leaves after the Oracle spoke to the Spartans, that all of Greece would say that he was running from a dream.
(b) If Xerxes leaves his army in the hands of a general, the general might return victorious from Greece only to take over the empire for himself.
(c) The Persians have no hope of taking Greece without their king.
(d) She tells Xerxes that by returning to Persia, he would be missing a grand show in the defeat of the Greeks.
5. What is panoplia?
(a) It is the final right of passage from boyhood to adult status.
(b) It is an eight night training exercise.
(c) It is the armor and shield that each soldier must carry.
(d) It is the lake near Sparta.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Egyptian tell the Spartans about the Persian invasion?
2. What is othismos?
3. What does Polynikes do after dealing with Alexandros?
4. What does Polynikes do when he catches Alexandros handling his shield improperly?
5. How do Xeones and Alexandros get across the gulf?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)