|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Polynikes, Chapter 18 - 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What punishment do Alexandros and Xeones receive?
(a) They are given extra labor.
(b) They are whipped.
(c) They are heavily lectured on responsibility, but otherwise let off the hook.
(d) They are locked in a small cell.
2. By what warrior code are young Spartans raised?
(a) They are raised according to the Lykurgan warrior code.
(b) They are raised according to the code of Chivalry.
(c) They are raised according to Bushido.
(d) They are raised according to the code of Hammurabi.
3. Why does Dienekes initially resist marrying Lady Arete?
(a) He is already married.
(b) He feels that she was the death of his brother, and wants nothing to do with her.
(c) Despite his deep love for her, his ethics stand in the way.
(d) He does not love her.
4. Who vouches for Xeones that he did not overhear details of the raid from the surgeons?
(a) Orontes, captain of the Immortals informs the king that Xeones was never once left alone with them.
(b) Artemisia tells the king that the surgeons would not have known of such an attack.
(c) Mardonius speaks up for Xeones' honor.
(d) King Xerxes trusts Xeones, and declares his words true.
5. How do the Spartans count their dead?
(a) They walk the field of battle and count the dead.
(b) The senior surviving officer calls out the names of the soldiers, and who ever doesn't answer is counted as dead.
(c) They each have half of a twig with their names on them, and the other half is in a basket. After the battle, they all match their halves to the others in the basket and count the remaining twigs.
(d) They stand in formation and count off.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the half helot's nickname?
2. In Chapter 9, who dies on the final night of the training exercise?
3. To whom does Rooster become a squire?
4. What is the purpose of the speech Leonidas gives after this battle?
5. What does the Oracle tell the Spartans?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)