|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Polynikes, Chapter 18 - 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what is Xeones punished after the battle at Antirhion?
(a) He is punished for following the army.
(b) He is punished for his recklessness on the field of battle.
(c) He is punished for not reporting in a timely fashion.
(d) He is punished for mouthing off to a superior officer.
2. What point does the author illustrate in these battle scenes about ancient warfare?
(a) Men who make their business warfare rather than farming perform better on the field.
(b) War is, unfortunately, unavoidable.
(c) War is a great and glorious undertaking.
(d) War is a bloody business, and not for the faint of heart.
3. Why do the Spartans use that method to count their dead?
(a) It is done to confuse the enemy.
(b) It helps to keep their minds occupied and off of the fact that only moments earlier they were slaughtering men like farmers reaping wheat.
(c) It is the Spartan law that the dead be counted in such a way.
(d) It is an ancient tradition that has been passed down for generations.
4. Who is Dienekes' squire?
(a) Alexandros is his squire.
(b) Xeones is his squire.
(c) Suicide is his squire.
(d) Rooster is his squire.
5. How does the Egyptian number the Persian fleet?
(a) He numbers it at one hundred ships.
(b) He says that the Persian fleet is innumerable.
(c) He numbers it at sixty squadrons.
(d) He numbers it at about two million men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the half helot's nickname?
2. Where are the Persians as Chapter 18 opens?
3. Alexandros wants to go to battle with the older Spartans. Who tries to stop him?
4. Who is Xeones' sparring partner?
5. What is the reason that Xerxes comes to Greece?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)