|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 6: Dienekes, Chapter 24 - 29.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi tell the Athenians to do about the Persian invasion?
(a) The Oracle tells them to fly to the ends of the earth.
(b) The Oracle tells them to stand and fight for their freedom.
(c) The Oracle tells them to remain neutral.
(d) The Oracle tells them to bargain with Persia.
2. What is othismos?
(a) Othismos is a field near Sparta where the Spartan boys train.
(b) Othismos is the initial collision on the battlefield and the chaos that follows.
(c) Othismos is the euphoria that comes upon the victor after a battle.
(d) Othismos is one of the ancient Spartan sacrificial rites.
3. What do the people of Sparta sing as the soldiers march off to war?
(a) They sing the Spartan anthem.
(b) They sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.
(c) They sing praises to the god Apollo.
(d) They sing the hymn to Castor.
4. Other than Ball Player and the dog, who is the other volunteer?
(a) The other volunteer is Minoas, a traitor from the Persian army.
(b) Tommie the Egyptian joined the Greeks.
(c) The other volunteer is Olaph, the wandering Arab.
(d) He is a merchant from Miletus, and his name is Elephantinos.
5. By what warrior code are young Spartans raised?
(a) They are raised according to the code of Chivalry.
(b) They are raised according to Bushido.
(c) They are raised according to the code of Hammurabi.
(d) They are raised according to the Lykurgan warrior code.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, who dies on the final night of the training exercise?
2. In Chapter 28, which Persian deserter asks for Xeones by name?
3. How do the Persian forces surround the Greeks?
4. What is the original total number of troops that would leave for Thermopylae?
5. How is Rooster related to Dienekes?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)