|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pantagruel interpret Panurge's dream to mean in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
2. After a journey of how many days does Panurge reach Panzoust in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Seventeen?
3. Who does Pantagruel ask to parley with in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-two?
4. Who comes on a ship in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Three to report on Pantagruel's circumstances?
5. Who does Pantagruel suggest Panurge seek the advice of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Panurge buy a sheep from in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Six? What incident follows?
2. Who does Pantagruel convince Panurge to see in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
3. Where does Pantagruel set out in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Twenty-eight through Thirty?
4. What hearing does Pantagruel attend in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-eight? What is revealed there?
5. What do Pantagruel and his men hear at sea in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifty-five? What becomes of the sound?
6. What does Panurge decipher from his dreams in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? How does Pantagruel interpret the dream?
7. What islands does Pantagruel pass in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Nine through Eleven?
8. What do the tribe of Procureers and Chicanous do for a living? What story does Panurge relate of them?
9. What takes place in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Sixty-six through the end of the novel?
10. Where does Pantagruel land in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-five? What does he see there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of "Pantagruel". During what time period does the story take place? How realistic are the locations and the people of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of fortune-telling and superstition during the time the novel was written. How much credit was given to soothsayers, oracles, etc. during Rabelais' time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Marguerite de Navarre and the system of patrons during Rabelais' time, as well as the significance of the evangelicals and orthodoxy presented in the introductions to the Third Book of Pantagruel. What treatise of Lucian's is cited and why?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)