|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ship arrives in the harbor in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Three to report on Pantagruel's circumstances?
2. The individual Pantagruel suggests Panurge seek the advice of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen is what?
3. The Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that this book was published in what year?
4. What does Panurge stand by the galley with to prevent the shepherds from saving themselves in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Eight?
5. What do Pantagruel and Panurge decide to visit for advice in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-seven?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the inhabitants of Ruach ingest? What conversation does Pantagruel have with their king?
2. With whom does Pantagruel almost fight in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What happens?
3. What islands does Pantagruel pass in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Nine through Eleven?
4. What do Pantagruel and his men find on the Island of Papefigues?
5. Where is Pantagruel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Where does he depart?
6. Where does Pantagruel land in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-five? What does he see there?
7. What is described of Gaster in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Fifty-nine and Sixty?
8. What hearing does Pantagruel attend in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-eight? What is revealed there?
9. What does Pantagruel speak of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Forty-three and Forty-four?
10. When was the Fifth Book of Pantagruel published? What is said about it in the Introductions and Prologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of marriage in the narrative. What ideals are presented of marriage by the characters? How does this reflect upon their character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Roman legal formulas presented in the Prologue of The Fourth Book of Pantagruel, as well as the works of Erasmus, Aesop, and Tiraqueau. Why does Rabelais comment on these authors in his introductions to the fourth novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some examples of symbolism, metaphor and simile in the narrative and analyze the meaning implied by each. How do these symbols relate to the themes of the novel?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)