|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The individual Pantagruel suggests Panurge seek the advice of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen is what?
2. Where is Pantagruel preparing to go in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-nine?
3. In Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-six, Pantagruel summons the marines aboard his vessels, Colonel Poke-Banger and who?
4. In Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-four, Pantagruel tells a curious story about perplexity of what?
5. Pantagruel purchases a series of tapestries depicting the life and deeds of whom in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the inhabitants of Ruach ingest? What conversation does Pantagruel have with their king?
2. Where does Pantagruel travel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Seven through Ten?
3. Who is the character of Catty-Claws? What riddle does he ask?
4. What does Panurge decipher from his dreams in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? How does Pantagruel interpret the dream?
5. What do Pantagruel and his men hear at sea in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifty-five? What becomes of the sound?
6. What do Pantagruel and his men find on the Island of Papefigues?
7. When was the Fifth Book of Pantagruel published? What is said about it in the Introductions and Prologue?
8. Who does Pantagruel gather to advise Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-nine? What do they advise?
9. What do Pantagruel and his men find on Ringing Island in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters One and Two?
10. Where does Pantagruel set out in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Twenty-eight through Thirty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss humanist law and philosophy, and the arguments presented in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Thirty-three through Forty-four. How does Bridoye define law?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Roman legal formulas presented in the Prologue of The Fourth Book of Pantagruel, as well as the works of Erasmus, Aesop, and Tiraqueau. Why does Rabelais comment on these authors in his introductions to the fourth novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the life and works of Francois Rabelais. What style was the author known for? What formats did he write in other than novels?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)