|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a journey of how many days does Panurge reach Panzoust in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Seventeen?
2. Where do Pantagruel and his men land where the inhabitants eat and drink nothing but wind?
3. What does Pantagruel interpret Panurge's dream to mean in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
4. What is abstracted from France by the virtue of the Decretals?
5. What is the name of Pantagruel's ship in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Pantagruel travel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Seven through Ten?
2. What do the tribe of Procureers and Chicanous do for a living? What story does Panurge relate of them?
3. What do the inhabitants of Ruach ingest? What conversation does Pantagruel have with their king?
4. Who does Pantagruel convince Panurge to see in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
5. What leads Pantagruel and Panurge to the Dive Bouteille?
6. When was the Fourth Book of Pantagruel written? What introductions precede it?
7. What do Pantagruel and his men find on the Island of Papefigues?
8. What hearing does Pantagruel attend in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-eight? What is revealed there?
9. With whom does Pantagruel almost fight in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What happens?
10. What does the physician suggest to Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-three? What about the philosopher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the allusions to Virgil, Lucian, Plato and Cicero in the narrative. Why does Pantagruel suggest Panurge refer to Virgil for his answer about marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of fortune-telling and superstition during the time the novel was written. How much credit was given to soothsayers, oracles, etc. during Rabelais' time?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the critical and public response of "Pantagruel". What does Rabelais write in his introductions to "Gargantua" that implies the first novel was controversial? Was it?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)