|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that this book was written in what year?
2. Who rules the Island of Cheli in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
3. The hairy tribe of Procureers and Chicanous earn their living how?
4. What does Pantagruel interpret Panurge's dream to mean in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
5. The Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that this book was published how many years after Rabelais' death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Pantagruel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Where does he depart?
2. What ship arrives in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Three? Why?
3. Where does Pantagruel land in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-five? What does he see there?
4. When was the Fifth Book of Pantagruel published? What is said about it in the Introductions and Prologue?
5. Who does Panurge buy a sheep from in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Six? What incident follows?
6. What do Pantagruel and his men find on the Island of Papefigues?
7. Where does Pantagruel set out in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Twenty-eight through Thirty?
8. What does Panurge decipher from his dreams in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? How does Pantagruel interpret the dream?
9. With whom does Pantagruel almost fight in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What happens?
10. When was the Fourth Book of Pantagruel written? What introductions precede it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss humanist law and philosophy, and the arguments presented in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Thirty-three through Forty-four. How does Bridoye define law?
Essay Topic 2
Define the literary element of "theme." How is the theme of education manifested in "Gargantua"? What position does Rabelais take on education in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Rabelais and his relationship to Christianity. What criticisms of the Church can be found in Gargantua: Chapters Thirty-six through Forty-two? Why does Rabelais cite the Seven Psalms and Absalom?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)