|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that this book was published how many years after Rabelais' death?
2. The Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that this book was published in what year?
3. Where do Pantagruel and his men land in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One?
4. Where is Pantagruel greeted oddly by the natives in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nine?
5. What aged French poet does Panurge seek the advice on in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was the Fifth Book of Pantagruel published? What is said about it in the Introductions and Prologue?
2. What does the physician suggest to Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-three? What about the philosopher?
3. Where does Pantagruel travel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Seven through Ten?
4. What does Pantagruel speak of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Forty-three and Forty-four?
5. With whom does Pantagruel almost fight in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What happens?
6. What do Pantagruel and his men find on Ringing Island in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters One and Two?
7. Who does Pantagruel suggest Panurge seek the advice of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifteen?
8. What leads Pantagruel and Panurge to the Dive Bouteille?
9. Who does Pantagruel gather to advise Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-nine? What do they advise?
10. Where is Pantagruel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Where does he depart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of marriage in the narrative. What ideals are presented of marriage by the characters? How does this reflect upon their character?
Essay Topic 2
Define the literary element of "theme." How is the theme of education manifested in "Gargantua"? What position does Rabelais take on education in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of "Pantagruel". During what time period does the story take place? How realistic are the locations and the people of the narrative?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)