|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven, Epistemon explains why monks are readily found where?
2. Who is eulogized in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Prologue?
3. The Queen of Cheli and all of her court kiss Pantagruel and his men, except for whom, in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
4. Who does Pantagruel have read to the men on his ship from the books Gargantua sent while they are at sea in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Four?
5. Which island in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Ten proves to be full of infertile soil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the literary element of "theme." How is the theme of education manifested in "Gargantua"? What position does Rabelais take on education in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Rabelais and his relationship to Christianity. What criticisms of the Church can be found in Gargantua: Chapters Thirty-six through Forty-two? Why does Rabelais cite the Seven Psalms and Absalom?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the allusions to Virgil, Lucian, Plato and Cicero in the narrative. Why does Pantagruel suggest Panurge refer to Virgil for his answer about marriage?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)