|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pantagruel purchases a series of tapestries depicting the life and deeds of whom in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
2. Where is Pantagruel preparing to go in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-nine?
3. Pantagruel tells the story of whom in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-eight?
4. At what island does Pantagruel's ship stop in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
5. Fourth Book of Pantagruel: The Royal Privilege gives the right to reprint the story to whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is described of Gaster in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Fifty-nine and Sixty?
2. Where is Pantagruel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Where does he depart?
3. Who does Pantagruel gather to advise Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-nine? What do they advise?
4. Who discusses the Decretals with Pantagruel? What is related of them?
5. When was the Fourth Book of Pantagruel written? What introductions precede it?
6. Who does Panurge buy a sheep from in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Six? What incident follows?
7. Who does Pantagruel suggest Panurge seek the advice of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifteen?
8. What do the inhabitants of Ruach ingest? What conversation does Pantagruel have with their king?
9. What islands does Pantagruel pass in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Nine through Eleven?
10. What do Pantagruel and his men hear at sea in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifty-five? What becomes of the sound?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Panurge in the narrative. What role does Panurge play to Pantagruel's protagonist role? What qualities does the character exhibit?
Essay Topic 2
Describe some examples of symbolism, metaphor and simile in the narrative and analyze the meaning implied by each. How do these symbols relate to the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the the central character of Gargantua. How does Gargantua's childhood relate to the character of Pantagruel's? How are the characters similar and different?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)