|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aged French poet does Panurge seek the advice on in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty?
2. The Queen of Cheli and all of her court kiss Pantagruel and his men, except for whom, in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
3. What do Pantagruel and Panurge decide to visit for advice in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-seven?
4. What plant does Pantagruel take with him in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-nine?
5. Who utters obscure words in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-five in the way of advice for Panurge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is described of Gaster in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Fifty-nine and Sixty?
2. Who does Pantagruel gather to advise Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-nine? What do they advise?
3. Who does Pantagruel convince Panurge to see in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
4. With whom does Pantagruel almost fight in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What happens?
5. When was the Fifth Book of Pantagruel published? What is said about it in the Introductions and Prologue?
6. What do Pantagruel and his men hear at sea in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifty-five? What becomes of the sound?
7. What hearing does Pantagruel attend in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-eight? What is revealed there?
8. Who discusses the Decretals with Pantagruel? What is related of them?
9. What islands does Pantagruel pass in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Nine through Eleven?
10. What do Pantagruel and his men encounter at sea in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Seventeen and Eighteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss humanist law and philosophy, and the arguments presented in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Thirty-three through Forty-four. How does Bridoye define law?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the allusions to Virgil, Lucian, Plato and Cicero in the narrative. Why does Pantagruel suggest Panurge refer to Virgil for his answer about marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Roman legal formulas presented in the Prologue of The Fourth Book of Pantagruel, as well as the works of Erasmus, Aesop, and Tiraqueau. Why does Rabelais comment on these authors in his introductions to the fourth novel?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)