|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plant does Pantagruel take with him in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-nine?
2. Who sent the ship in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Three to report on Pantagruel's circumstances?
3. Whose engineers set up a Great Sow stored in the ship which the cooks and he enter into in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty?
4. Who rules the Island of Cheli in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
5. What is abstracted from France by the virtue of the Decretals?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss humanist law and philosophy, and the arguments presented in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Thirty-three through Forty-four. How does Bridoye define law?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the life and works of Francois Rabelais. What style was the author known for? What formats did he write in other than novels?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the critical and public response of "Pantagruel". What does Rabelais write in his introductions to "Gargantua" that implies the first novel was controversial? Was it?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)