|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is abstracted from France by the virtue of the Decretals?
2. In Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Fifty-nine and Sixty tell of how the Gastrolaters worship Gaster as their what?
3. Who examines cases by rolling dice in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-eight?
4. Who tells Panurge that marriage is a matter fraught with risk in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-four?
5. In Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-eight, Gargantua wishes who will marry but not without his parents' consent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the character of Catty-Claws? What riddle does he ask?
2. Where is Pantagruel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Where does he depart?
3. What does Pantagruel speak of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Forty-three and Forty-four?
4. With whom does Pantagruel almost fight in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What happens?
5. What is described of Gaster in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Fifty-nine and Sixty?
6. What do the inhabitants of Ruach ingest? What conversation does Pantagruel have with their king?
7. What do Pantagruel and his men find on Ringing Island in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters One and Two?
8. Who does Pantagruel suggest Panurge seek the advice of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifteen?
9. What do Pantagruel and his men hear at sea in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifty-five? What becomes of the sound?
10. What does Panurge decipher from his dreams in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? How does Pantagruel interpret the dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting and characters established in the Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters One through Five. Where is Thalasse located? Where is Medamothi? Who does Pantagruel meet there?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marguerite de Navarre and the system of patrons during Rabelais' time, as well as the significance of the evangelicals and orthodoxy presented in the introductions to the Third Book of Pantagruel. What treatise of Lucian's is cited and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some examples of symbolism, metaphor and simile in the narrative and analyze the meaning implied by each. How do these symbols relate to the themes of the novel?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)