|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Homenaz give Pantagruel and his men in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifty-four?
2. Where is Pantagruel greeted oddly by the natives in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nine?
3. Where do Pantagruel and his men land in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One?
4. In Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-eight, Gargantua wishes who will marry but not without his parents' consent?
5. Who does Panurge describe at Panzoust who foretells all things to come in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Pantagruel gather to advise Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-nine? What do they advise?
2. What do Pantagruel and his men hear at sea in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifty-five? What becomes of the sound?
3. Where does Pantagruel travel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Seven through Ten?
4. What does Panurge decipher from his dreams in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? How does Pantagruel interpret the dream?
5. What do the inhabitants of Ruach ingest? What conversation does Pantagruel have with their king?
6. Where does Pantagruel land in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-five? What does he see there?
7. Where does Pantagruel set out in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Twenty-eight through Thirty?
8. What takes place in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Sixty-six through the end of the novel?
9. Where is Pantagruel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Where does he depart?
10. What leads Pantagruel and Panurge to the Dive Bouteille?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Pantagruel and identify the characteristics which make him the protagonist of the novel. What qualities does Pantagruel exhibit?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the allusions to Virgil, Lucian, Plato and Cicero in the narrative. Why does Pantagruel suggest Panurge refer to Virgil for his answer about marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the the central character of Gargantua. How does Gargantua's childhood relate to the character of Pantagruel's? How are the characters similar and different?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)