|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-eight, Gargantua wishes who will marry but not without his parents' consent?
2. After a journey of how many days does Panurge reach Panzoust in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Seventeen?
3. Pantagruel attends a hearing judged by whom in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-eight?
4. The hermit who greets Pantagruel's ships in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One subjects the men to what before admitting them to the island?
5. What aged French poet does Panurge seek the advice on in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Marguerite de Navarre and the system of patrons during Rabelais' time, as well as the significance of the evangelicals and orthodoxy presented in the introductions to the Third Book of Pantagruel. What treatise of Lucian's is cited and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the life and works of Francois Rabelais. What style was the author known for? What formats did he write in other than novels?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some examples of symbolism, metaphor and simile in the narrative and analyze the meaning implied by each. How do these symbols relate to the themes of the novel?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)