|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pantagruel see scrambling up trees as he and his men dine in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-five?
2. What does Panurge do with the sheep he's bought in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Eight?
3. Gaster tells Pantagruel how he invented the means of gathering and conserving what in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Sixty-one and Sixty-two?
4. Who points out the land where Quaremeprenant reigns in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-nine?
5. What plant does Pantagruel take with him in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-nine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the inhabitants of Ruach ingest? What conversation does Pantagruel have with their king?
2. What is described of Gaster in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Fifty-nine and Sixty?
3. Who does Panurge buy a sheep from in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Six? What incident follows?
4. What does Pantagruel speak of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Forty-three and Forty-four?
5. Where does Pantagruel travel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Seven through Ten?
6. What takes place in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Sixty-six through the end of the novel?
7. Who does Pantagruel convince Panurge to see in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
8. What do the tribe of Procureers and Chicanous do for a living? What story does Panurge relate of them?
9. When was the Fourth Book of Pantagruel written? What introductions precede it?
10. Who does Pantagruel suggest Panurge seek the advice of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the life and works of Francois Rabelais. What style was the author known for? What formats did he write in other than novels?
Essay Topic 2
Define the literary element of "theme." How is the theme of education manifested in "Gargantua"? What position does Rabelais take on education in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Panurge in the narrative. What role does Panurge play to Pantagruel's protagonist role? What qualities does the character exhibit?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)