|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Pantagruel greeted oddly by the natives in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nine?
2. Gaster tells Pantagruel how he invented the means of gathering and conserving what in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Sixty-one and Sixty-two?
3. What is the name of the hermit who greets Pantagruel's ships in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One?
4. Who does Pantagruel suggest Panurge seek the advice of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
5. What does Panurge do with the sheep he's bought in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Pantagruel and Panurge to the Dive Bouteille?
2. When was the Fifth Book of Pantagruel published? What is said about it in the Introductions and Prologue?
3. Where is Pantagruel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Where does he depart?
4. What ship arrives in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Three? Why?
5. Where does Pantagruel set out in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Twenty-eight through Thirty?
6. What do the tribe of Procureers and Chicanous do for a living? What story does Panurge relate of them?
7. Where does Pantagruel land in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-five? What does he see there?
8. What do the inhabitants of Ruach ingest? What conversation does Pantagruel have with their king?
9. What hearing does Pantagruel attend in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-eight? What is revealed there?
10. What takes place in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Sixty-six through the end of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Pantagruel and identify the characteristics which make him the protagonist of the novel. What qualities does Pantagruel exhibit?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting and characters established in the Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters One through Five. Where is Thalasse located? Where is Medamothi? Who does Pantagruel meet there?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Panurge in the narrative. What role does Panurge play to Pantagruel's protagonist role? What qualities does the character exhibit?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)