|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What island do Pantagruel's ships reach in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Sixty-three?
2. Who does Pantagruel send to learn the reason for the Chidlings animosity in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-one?
3. Where do Pantagruel and his men see the hairy tribe of Procureers and Chicanous?
4. What do Panurge and Pantagruel debate the meaning of in ancient literary traditions in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
5. In Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven, Epistemon explains why monks are readily found where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Pantagruel and his men encounter at sea in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Seventeen and Eighteen?
2. With whom does Pantagruel almost fight in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What happens?
3. What do the tribe of Procureers and Chicanous do for a living? What story does Panurge relate of them?
4. What do Pantagruel and his men find on the Island of Papefigues?
5. What islands does Pantagruel pass in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Nine through Eleven?
6. Who does Panurge buy a sheep from in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Six? What incident follows?
7. What does the physician suggest to Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-three? What about the philosopher?
8. What leads Pantagruel and Panurge to the Dive Bouteille?
9. Where is Pantagruel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Where does he depart?
10. Who does Pantagruel suggest Panurge seek the advice of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the war which erupts between Lerne and Utopia, and the characters of King Picrochole, and Frere Jean. In what ways is Rabelais satirizing Christianity through the character of Frere Jean?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Roman legal formulas presented in the Prologue of The Fourth Book of Pantagruel, as well as the works of Erasmus, Aesop, and Tiraqueau. Why does Rabelais comment on these authors in his introductions to the fourth novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of fortune-telling and superstition during the time the novel was written. How much credit was given to soothsayers, oracles, etc. during Rabelais' time?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)