|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-four, Pantagruel tells a curious story about perplexity of what?
2. Where does Bringuenarilles die from eating pots and pans due to a shortage of windmills?
3. Where do Pantagruel and his men land in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One?
4. What do Pantagruel and his men bestow on Homenaz before leaving in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifty-four?
5. Pantagruel purchases a series of tapestries depicting the life and deeds of whom in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Panurge buy a sheep from in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Six? What incident follows?
2. What is described of Gaster in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Fifty-nine and Sixty?
3. Where does Pantagruel set out in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Twenty-eight through Thirty?
4. What do Pantagruel and his men find on the Island of Papefigues?
5. What hearing does Pantagruel attend in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-eight? What is revealed there?
6. Who does Pantagruel convince Panurge to see in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
7. When was the Fourth Book of Pantagruel written? What introductions precede it?
8. What do the inhabitants of Ruach ingest? What conversation does Pantagruel have with their king?
9. What does the physician suggest to Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-three? What about the philosopher?
10. What does Pantagruel speak of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Forty-three and Forty-four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of marriage in the narrative. What ideals are presented of marriage by the characters? How does this reflect upon their character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss humanist law and philosophy, and the arguments presented in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Thirty-three through Forty-four. How does Bridoye define law?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Rabelais and his relationship to Christianity. What criticisms of the Church can be found in Gargantua: Chapters Thirty-six through Forty-two? Why does Rabelais cite the Seven Psalms and Absalom?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)