|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-six, Pantagruel summons the marines aboard his vessels, Colonel Poke-Banger and who?
2. Pantagruel tells the story of whom in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-eight?
3. What did the wife in Panurge's dream put on his head in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
4. Who points out the land where Quaremeprenant reigns in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-nine?
5. What beast does Pantagruel see near Ile Farouche in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-three?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pantagruel speak of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Forty-three and Forty-four?
2. What does Panurge decipher from his dreams in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? How does Pantagruel interpret the dream?
3. What is described of Gaster in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Fifty-nine and Sixty?
4. Who does Pantagruel gather to advise Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-nine? What do they advise?
5. With whom does Pantagruel almost fight in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What happens?
6. Who is the character of Catty-Claws? What riddle does he ask?
7. What do Pantagruel and his men find on the Island of Papefigues?
8. Who discusses the Decretals with Pantagruel? What is related of them?
9. When was the Fifth Book of Pantagruel published? What is said about it in the Introductions and Prologue?
10. What does the physician suggest to Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-three? What about the philosopher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the literary element of "theme." How is the theme of education manifested in "Gargantua"? What position does Rabelais take on education in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the the central character of Gargantua. How does Gargantua's childhood relate to the character of Pantagruel's? How are the characters similar and different?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Pantagruel and identify the characteristics which make him the protagonist of the novel. What qualities does Pantagruel exhibit?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)