|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is abstracted from France by the virtue of the Decretals?
2. The individual Pantagruel suggests Panurge seek the advice of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen is what?
3. Who examines cases by rolling dice in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-eight?
4. The Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that this book was published in what year?
5. Who rules the Island of Cheli in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Pantagruel suggest Panurge seek the advice of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifteen?
2. What do Pantagruel and his men encounter at sea in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Seventeen and Eighteen?
3. When was the Fifth Book of Pantagruel published? What is said about it in the Introductions and Prologue?
4. What ship arrives in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Three? Why?
5. What leads Pantagruel and Panurge to the Dive Bouteille?
6. What does Panurge decipher from his dreams in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? How does Pantagruel interpret the dream?
7. What do the tribe of Procureers and Chicanous do for a living? What story does Panurge relate of them?
8. What takes place in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Sixty-six through the end of the novel?
9. What islands does Pantagruel pass in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Nine through Eleven?
10. Who does Pantagruel gather to advise Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-nine? What do they advise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Marguerite de Navarre and the system of patrons during Rabelais' time, as well as the significance of the evangelicals and orthodoxy presented in the introductions to the Third Book of Pantagruel. What treatise of Lucian's is cited and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of marriage in the narrative. What ideals are presented of marriage by the characters? How does this reflect upon their character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss astrology and astronomy in the sixteenth century and how these are reflected in the novels of the collection. How much regard was given to astrologers during this time?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)