|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Panurge begs who to sell him a sheep in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Six and Seven?
2. Where does Quaremeprenant reign in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-nine?
3. Who is the Master Aedituus of Ringing Island?
4. What island encountered by Pantagruel is uninhabited but weapons grow from the plants?
5. Pantagruel purchases a series of tapestries depicting the life and deeds of whom in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Panurge decipher from his dreams in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? How does Pantagruel interpret the dream?
2. What do Pantagruel and his men encounter at sea in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Seventeen and Eighteen?
3. Who does Pantagruel gather to advise Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-nine? What do they advise?
4. What do the inhabitants of Ruach ingest? What conversation does Pantagruel have with their king?
5. What do Pantagruel and his men find on Ringing Island in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters One and Two?
6. With whom does Pantagruel almost fight in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What happens?
7. What do the tribe of Procureers and Chicanous do for a living? What story does Panurge relate of them?
8. When was the Fourth Book of Pantagruel written? What introductions precede it?
9. Who does Pantagruel convince Panurge to see in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
10. What islands does Pantagruel pass in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Nine through Eleven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Marguerite de Navarre and the system of patrons during Rabelais' time, as well as the significance of the evangelicals and orthodoxy presented in the introductions to the Third Book of Pantagruel. What treatise of Lucian's is cited and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of "Pantagruel". During what time period does the story take place? How realistic are the locations and the people of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Pantagruel and identify the characteristics which make him the protagonist of the novel. What qualities does Pantagruel exhibit?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)