|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Pantagruel preparing to go in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-nine?
2. In Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-six, Pantagruel summons the marines aboard his vessels, Colonel Poke-Banger and who?
3. Who utters obscure words in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-five in the way of advice for Panurge?
4. What do Panurge and Pantagruel debate the meaning of in ancient literary traditions in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
5. Where do Pantagruel and his men see the hairy tribe of Procureers and Chicanous?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Panurge buy a sheep from in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Six? What incident follows?
2. Who does Pantagruel suggest Panurge seek the advice of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifteen?
3. What do Pantagruel and his men find on Ringing Island in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters One and Two?
4. What is described of Gaster in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Fifty-nine and Sixty?
5. Where does Pantagruel travel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Seven through Ten?
6. What do the inhabitants of Ruach ingest? What conversation does Pantagruel have with their king?
7. What takes place in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Sixty-six through the end of the novel?
8. What do Pantagruel and his men encounter at sea in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Seventeen and Eighteen?
9. Where is Pantagruel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Where does he depart?
10. When was the Fifth Book of Pantagruel published? What is said about it in the Introductions and Prologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss astrology and astronomy in the sixteenth century and how these are reflected in the novels of the collection. How much regard was given to astrologers during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Pantagruel and identify the characteristics which make him the protagonist of the novel. What qualities does Pantagruel exhibit?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some examples of symbolism, metaphor and simile in the narrative and analyze the meaning implied by each. How do these symbols relate to the themes of the novel?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)