|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Pantagruel and his men how miracles are produced by the Decretals in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Fifty-one through Fifty-three?
2. Fourth Book of Pantagruel: To the Most-Illustrious Prince is addressed to whom?
3. Who is eulogized in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Prologue?
4. Pantagruel attends a hearing judged by whom in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-eight?
5. The hermit who greets Pantagruel's ships in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One subjects the men to what before admitting them to the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Pantagruel travel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Seven through Ten?
2. When was the Fourth Book of Pantagruel written? What introductions precede it?
3. What do Pantagruel and his men find on Ringing Island in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters One and Two?
4. What do the inhabitants of Ruach ingest? What conversation does Pantagruel have with their king?
5. Who does Pantagruel convince Panurge to see in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
6. What takes place in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Sixty-six through the end of the novel?
7. What ship arrives in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Three? Why?
8. What islands does Pantagruel pass in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Nine through Eleven?
9. Who discusses the Decretals with Pantagruel? What is related of them?
10. Who is the character of Catty-Claws? What riddle does he ask?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Panurge in the narrative. What role does Panurge play to Pantagruel's protagonist role? What qualities does the character exhibit?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Rabelais and his relationship to Christianity. What criticisms of the Church can be found in Gargantua: Chapters Thirty-six through Forty-two? Why does Rabelais cite the Seven Psalms and Absalom?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot structure of the Third Book of Pantagruel, delineating the exposition, rising action, climax and denouement. Where are the main characters at the end of the novel? Is there suspense as to what will happen next?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)