|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Pantagruel greeted oddly by the natives in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nine?
2. What does Panurge do with the sheep he's bought in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Eight?
3. The Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that this book was written in what year?
4. What does Pantagruel cast on deck but not allow his men to preserve in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifty-five?
5. Pantagruel purchases a series of tapestries depicting the life and deeds of whom in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Pantagruel convince Panurge to see in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
2. What does Pantagruel speak of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Forty-three and Forty-four?
3. Where does Pantagruel land in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-five? What does he see there?
4. What does Panurge decipher from his dreams in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? How does Pantagruel interpret the dream?
5. What does the physician suggest to Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-three? What about the philosopher?
6. What ship arrives in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Three? Why?
7. What do Pantagruel and his men hear at sea in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifty-five? What becomes of the sound?
8. What islands does Pantagruel pass in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Nine through Eleven?
9. What do Pantagruel and his men find on the Island of Papefigues?
10. What do the inhabitants of Ruach ingest? What conversation does Pantagruel have with their king?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of marriage in the narrative. What ideals are presented of marriage by the characters? How does this reflect upon their character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Roman legal formulas presented in the Prologue of The Fourth Book of Pantagruel, as well as the works of Erasmus, Aesop, and Tiraqueau. Why does Rabelais comment on these authors in his introductions to the fourth novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting and characters established in the Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters One through Five. Where is Thalasse located? Where is Medamothi? Who does Pantagruel meet there?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)