|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The inhabitants of where drink to the health of Pantagruel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One?
2. Who is referred to by Pantagruel and his men as the first Master of Arts in this world?
3. When Pantagruel's ship lands on the Isle of the Macraeons in order to repair their ship, Pantagruel asks whom the reason for the storm?
4. Who does Pantagruel send to learn the reason for the Chidlings animosity in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-one?
5. Where do Pantagruel and his men land in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Pantagruel and his men find on the Island of Papefigues?
2. What ship arrives in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Three? Why?
3. What is described of Gaster in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Fifty-nine and Sixty?
4. What do Pantagruel and his men find on Ringing Island in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters One and Two?
5. What does Pantagruel speak of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Forty-three and Forty-four?
6. What islands does Pantagruel pass in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Nine through Eleven?
7. With whom does Pantagruel almost fight in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What happens?
8. What hearing does Pantagruel attend in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-eight? What is revealed there?
9. When was the Fifth Book of Pantagruel published? What is said about it in the Introductions and Prologue?
10. Who does Pantagruel gather to advise Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-nine? What do they advise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting and characters established in the Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters One through Five. Where is Thalasse located? Where is Medamothi? Who does Pantagruel meet there?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of marriage in the narrative. What ideals are presented of marriage by the characters? How does this reflect upon their character?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Pantagruel and identify the characteristics which make him the protagonist of the novel. What qualities does Pantagruel exhibit?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)