|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pantagruel interpret Panurge's dream to mean in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
2. The hairy tribe of Procureers and Chicanous earn their living how?
3. Who is referred to by Pantagruel and his men as the first Master of Arts in this world?
4. What island do Pantagruel's ships reach in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Sixty-three?
5. In Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Seven, Panurge tells Aedituus the fable of the ass who renounces the what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Sixty-six through the end of the novel?
2. Who does Panurge buy a sheep from in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Six? What incident follows?
3. What does the physician suggest to Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-three? What about the philosopher?
4. Who is the character of Catty-Claws? What riddle does he ask?
5. Who does Pantagruel gather to advise Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-nine? What do they advise?
6. Where is Pantagruel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Where does he depart?
7. What do Pantagruel and his men hear at sea in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifty-five? What becomes of the sound?
8. What ship arrives in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Three? Why?
9. Who does Pantagruel suggest Panurge seek the advice of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifteen?
10. What is described of Gaster in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Fifty-nine and Sixty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of fortune-telling and superstition during the time the novel was written. How much credit was given to soothsayers, oracles, etc. during Rabelais' time?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marguerite de Navarre and the system of patrons during Rabelais' time, as well as the significance of the evangelicals and orthodoxy presented in the introductions to the Third Book of Pantagruel. What treatise of Lucian's is cited and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Panurge in the narrative. What role does Panurge play to Pantagruel's protagonist role? What qualities does the character exhibit?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)