|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes on a ship in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Three to report on Pantagruel's circumstances?
2. The hermit who greets Pantagruel's ships in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One subjects the men to what before admitting them to the island?
3. Whose advice is Panurge advised to seek in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-five?
4. Gaster tells Pantagruel how he invented the means of gathering and conserving what in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Sixty-one and Sixty-two?
5. Who tells Panurge that marriage is a matter fraught with risk in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-four?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Pantagruel and Panurge to the Dive Bouteille?
2. Who does Pantagruel suggest Panurge seek the advice of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifteen?
3. Where does Pantagruel travel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Seven through Ten?
4. What does Panurge decipher from his dreams in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? How does Pantagruel interpret the dream?
5. What islands does Pantagruel pass in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Nine through Eleven?
6. What do the inhabitants of Ruach ingest? What conversation does Pantagruel have with their king?
7. What takes place in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Sixty-six through the end of the novel?
8. What do Pantagruel and his men find on the Island of Papefigues?
9. When was the Fifth Book of Pantagruel published? What is said about it in the Introductions and Prologue?
10. What does Pantagruel speak of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Forty-three and Forty-four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the allusions to Virgil, Lucian, Plato and Cicero in the narrative. Why does Pantagruel suggest Panurge refer to Virgil for his answer about marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify literary and religious allusion in the narrative. What allusion does Rabelais make of Christianity in the reading? How does Pantagruel's story reflect that of Aeneas in "The Aeneid"?
Essay Topic 3
Define the literary element of "theme." How is the theme of education manifested in "Gargantua"? What position does Rabelais take on education in the narrative?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)