|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pantagruel ask to parley with in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-two?
2. The Queen of Cheli and all of her court kiss Pantagruel and his men, except for whom, in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
3. The hermit who greets Pantagruel's ships in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One subjects the men to what before admitting them to the island?
4. In Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-six, Pantagruel summons the marines aboard his vessels, Colonel Poke-Banger and who?
5. Fourth Book of Pantagruel: To the Most-Illustrious Prince is addressed to whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Pantagruel travel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Seven through Ten?
2. What do the inhabitants of Ruach ingest? What conversation does Pantagruel have with their king?
3. What does Pantagruel speak of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Forty-three and Forty-four?
4. What does the physician suggest to Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-three? What about the philosopher?
5. What do Pantagruel and his men encounter at sea in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Seventeen and Eighteen?
6. What leads Pantagruel and Panurge to the Dive Bouteille?
7. What is described of Gaster in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Fifty-nine and Sixty?
8. When was the Fourth Book of Pantagruel written? What introductions precede it?
9. Where is Pantagruel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Where does he depart?
10. What hearing does Pantagruel attend in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-eight? What is revealed there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of fortune-telling and superstition during the time the novel was written. How much credit was given to soothsayers, oracles, etc. during Rabelais' time?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot structure of the Third Book of Pantagruel, delineating the exposition, rising action, climax and denouement. Where are the main characters at the end of the novel? Is there suspense as to what will happen next?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Rabelais and his relationship to Christianity. What criticisms of the Church can be found in Gargantua: Chapters Thirty-six through Forty-two? Why does Rabelais cite the Seven Psalms and Absalom?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)