|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the abbey built by Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifty?
2. What does Pantagruel intend to have a look at with his friend in Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven?
3. What plagues Africa during Pantagruel's birth?
4. With whose wisdom is Pantagruel's compared in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
5. In Gargantua: Chapter One, the author writes that Gargantua's lineage was uncovered in a meadow near what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gargantua build in Gargantua: Chapter Fifty? Why?
2. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
3. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
4. What is sent to Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifteen? What does he do with the gift?
5. What is the subject of Gargantua: Chapters One through Five? What is suggested by Gargamelle's pregnancy?
6. Who does Gargantua accidentally swallow in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
7. What did Rabelais write in his "Pantagrueline Prognostication for 1533"? What did he assure the reader?
8. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
9. What does the Introduction of Pantagruel reveal about the style and time period of the piece?
10. Who does Panurge attempt to seduce in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? What is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the literary element of "theme." How is the theme of education manifested in "Gargantua"? What position does Rabelais take on education in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the war which erupts between Lerne and Utopia, and the characters of King Picrochole, and Frere Jean. In what ways is Rabelais satirizing Christianity through the character of Frere Jean?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Panurge in the narrative. What role does Panurge play to Pantagruel's protagonist role? What qualities does the character exhibit?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)