|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Gargantua: Chapter One, the author writes that Gargantua's lineage was uncovered by whom?
2. What English scholar comes to visit Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen?
3. What does Pantagruel receive instead of the office in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
4. Where does Pantagruel's army march to take the entire kingdom by force in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
5. What plagues Africa during Pantagruel's birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom is Pantagruel compared in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten? What office is offered him and why does he refuse it?
2. Who does Gargantua accidentally swallow in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
3. What land does Pantagruel subdue in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Who does he give Salmaguni to?
4. What does the Introduction of Pantagruel reveal about the style and time period of the piece?
5. Who does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? How is this character described?
6. What does King Picrochole do for revenge in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
7. Who does Pantagruel challenge to combat in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen? What is the conclusion of the battle?
8. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
9. Where is Pantagruel sent in Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What are his impressions of study?
10. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Roman legal formulas presented in the Prologue of The Fourth Book of Pantagruel, as well as the works of Erasmus, Aesop, and Tiraqueau. Why does Rabelais comment on these authors in his introductions to the fourth novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot structure of the Third Book of Pantagruel, delineating the exposition, rising action, climax and denouement. Where are the main characters at the end of the novel? Is there suspense as to what will happen next?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss humanist law and philosophy, and the arguments presented in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Thirty-three through Forty-four. How does Bridoye define law?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)