Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many knights approach Pantagruel's vessel in Pantagruel: Chapter Sixteen?
2. What does Pantagruel cover his men with from the rain in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-two?
3. Who kills many of the enemy when he sees them stealing the grapes that the monastery uses for an entire year of wine in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-five?
4. What is the name of Gargantua's father?
5. What does Gargantua accidentally swallow the six pilgrims with in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Panurge buy a sheep from in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Six? What incident follows?
2. What is the response of the Amaurots to King Anarch's defeat?
3. Who does Pantagruel gather to advise Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-nine? What do they advise?
4. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
5. When was the Fifth Book of Pantagruel published? What is said about it in the Introductions and Prologue?
6. What do Pantagruel and his men see on the Isle of Frieze-cloth? What do they attain in Lanternland?
7. What takes place in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Sixty-six through the end of the novel?
8. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
9. With whom does Pantagruel almost fight in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What happens?
10. What land does Pantagruel subdue in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Who does he give Salmaguni to?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting and characters established in the Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters One through Five. Where is Thalasse located? Where is Medamothi? Who does Pantagruel meet there?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the allusions to Virgil, Lucian, Plato and Cicero in the narrative. Why does Pantagruel suggest Panurge refer to Virgil for his answer about marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the critical and public response of "Pantagruel". What does Rabelais write in his introductions to "Gargantua" that implies the first novel was controversial? Was it?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)