|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who among Pantagruel's men has his neck slit in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
2. In Gargantua: Chapter One, the author writes that Gargantua's lineage was uncovered by whom?
3. Of whom is it written, "if ever there was such a one in Paris, a felon, a cheat, a tippler, a loafer, a scrounger, but that apart, the nicest young lad in the world"?
4. Where does Pantagruel's army march to take the entire kingdom by force in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
5. What does Gargantua attempt to devote himself to in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Panurge attempt to seduce in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? What is his response?
2. What is sent to Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifteen? What does he do with the gift?
3. Who does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? How is this character described?
4. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
5. What dispute arises in Garganua's homeland in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three? Who begins an attack?
6. What does the Introduction of Pantagruel reveal about the style and time period of the piece?
7. What did Rabelais write in his "Pantagrueline Prognostication for 1533"? What did he assure the reader?
8. What does King Picrochole do for revenge in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
9. Why is Braggart killed? Who kills him?
10. To whom is Pantagruel compared in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten? What office is offered him and why does he refuse it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the critical and public response of "Pantagruel". What does Rabelais write in his introductions to "Gargantua" that implies the first novel was controversial? Was it?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the war which erupts between Lerne and Utopia, and the characters of King Picrochole, and Frere Jean. In what ways is Rabelais satirizing Christianity through the character of Frere Jean?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the allusions to Virgil, Lucian, Plato and Cicero in the narrative. Why does Pantagruel suggest Panurge refer to Virgil for his answer about marriage?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)