|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many generations of Pantagruel's genealogy are described in Pantagruel: Chapter One?
2. In Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-one, le Comte Spandassaino and Captain Squirt use what to convince Picrochole to attack the cities and fortresses of Utopia?
3. What does Panurge cease to wear in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Seven?
4. Whose reputation grows after winning the dispute against the Englishman in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
5. What does Gargantua's mother eat a lot of during her pregnancy in Gargantua: Chapter Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
2. Why is Braggart killed? Who kills him?
3. Who attempts to get back the bells of Notre Dame in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen? What is Gargantua's response?
4. When does Gargantua leave Paris? Where does he go?
5. What land does Pantagruel subdue in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Who does he give Salmaguni to?
6. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
7. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
8. What does Pantagruel think of Panurge at the onset of their friendship? How does the narrator describe Panurge in Pantagruel: Chapter Twelve?
9. Who does Pantagruel challenge to combat in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen? What is the conclusion of the battle?
10. Who does Panurge attempt to seduce in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? What is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Panurge in the narrative. What role does Panurge play to Pantagruel's protagonist role? What qualities does the character exhibit?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the allusions to Virgil, Lucian, Plato and Cicero in the narrative. Why does Pantagruel suggest Panurge refer to Virgil for his answer about marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Define the literary element of "theme." How is the theme of education manifested in "Gargantua"? What position does Rabelais take on education in the narrative?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)