|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims "those who are not very bright could never spend so much in so short a time" in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
2. Who does Gargantua take as prisoner in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-two?
3. Panurge suggests making the decision of whether or not to marry in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven by doing what?
4. Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that the humanist type of this book was published in what year?
5. It is written in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-two that Gargantua spent rainy days attending what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gargantua build in Gargantua: Chapter Fifty? Why?
2. Why is Braggart killed? Who kills him?
3. Who does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? How is this character described?
4. What is stated about the style and time period of the Third Book of Pantagruel in the Introduction?
5. What does Pantagruel think of Panurge at the onset of their friendship? How does the narrator describe Panurge in Pantagruel: Chapter Twelve?
6. What does King Picrochole do for revenge in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
7. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
8. Who does Gargantua accidentally swallow in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
9. When does Gargantua leave Paris? Where does he go?
10. What argument do Panurge and Pantagruel have about money in the Third Book of Pantagruel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify literary and religious allusion in the narrative. What allusion does Rabelais make of Christianity in the reading? How does Pantagruel's story reflect that of Aeneas in "The Aeneid"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of fortune-telling and superstition during the time the novel was written. How much credit was given to soothsayers, oracles, etc. during Rabelais' time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Panurge in the narrative. What role does Panurge play to Pantagruel's protagonist role? What qualities does the character exhibit?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)