|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Panurge talk of having escaped because they wanted to roast him alive in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
2. Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that the humanist type of this book was published in what year?
3. What is the name of Gargantua's mother?
4. What is made for Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Eleven?
5. What man with a Germanic tongue does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Pantagruel challenge to combat in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen? What is the conclusion of the battle?
2. Where is Pantagruel sent in Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What are his impressions of study?
3. What dispute arises in Garganua's homeland in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three? Who begins an attack?
4. Who does Gargantua accidentally swallow in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
5. When does Gargantua leave Paris? Where does he go?
6. Who attempts to get back the bells of Notre Dame in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen? What is Gargantua's response?
7. Who does Panurge attempt to seduce in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? What is his response?
8. What is sent to Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifteen? What does he do with the gift?
9. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
10. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the literary element of "theme." How is the theme of education manifested in "Gargantua"? What position does Rabelais take on education in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting and characters established in the Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters One through Five. Where is Thalasse located? Where is Medamothi? Who does Pantagruel meet there?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the life and works of Francois Rabelais. What style was the author known for? What formats did he write in other than novels?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)