|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-one, le Comte Spandassaino and Captain Squirt use what to convince Picrochole to attack the cities and fortresses of Utopia?
2. Gargantua's countrymen get into a dispute with the bakers of where in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three?
3. What leader does Pantagruel challenge to single combat in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
4. Where is Pantagruel sent to study in Pantagruel: Chapter 5?
5. Who does Panurge dress as a crier of green sauce in order to settle him into a trade in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Introduction of Pantagruel reveal about the style and time period of the piece?
2. Who does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? How is this character described?
3. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
4. What is stated about the style and time period of the Third Book of Pantagruel in the Introduction?
5. Where is Pantagruel sent in Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What are his impressions of study?
6. Who attempts to get back the bells of Notre Dame in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen? What is Gargantua's response?
7. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
8. What is the subject of Gargantua: Chapters One through Five? What is suggested by Gargamelle's pregnancy?
9. Who does Gargantua accidentally swallow in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
10. To whom is Pantagruel compared in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten? What office is offered him and why does he refuse it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting and characters established in the Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters One through Five. Where is Thalasse located? Where is Medamothi? Who does Pantagruel meet there?
Essay Topic 2
Define the literary element of "theme." How is the theme of education manifested in "Gargantua"? What position does Rabelais take on education in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss humanist law and philosophy, and the arguments presented in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Thirty-three through Forty-four. How does Bridoye define law?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)