|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gargantua: Introduction informs that this is the first known edition of "Gargantua" and was written early in what year?
2. To what king does Pantagruel send the prisoner in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
3. With whose wisdom is Pantagruel's compared in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
4. Where do six pilgrims returning from Saint Sebastian's hide in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
5. What is the name of the abbey built by Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What hearing does Pantagruel attend in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-eight? What is revealed there?
2. What dispute arises in Garganua's homeland in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three? Who begins an attack?
3. Where does Pantagruel land in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-five? What does he see there?
4. When was the Fifth Book of Pantagruel published? What is said about it in the Introductions and Prologue?
5. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
6. What is stated about the style and time period of the Third Book of Pantagruel in the Introduction?
7. Where does Pantagruel set out in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Twenty-eight through Thirty?
8. What argument do Panurge and Pantagruel have about money in the Third Book of Pantagruel?
9. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
10. What ship arrives in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Three? Why?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of "Pantagruel". During what time period does the story take place? How realistic are the locations and the people of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the allusions to Virgil, Lucian, Plato and Cicero in the narrative. Why does Pantagruel suggest Panurge refer to Virgil for his answer about marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Pantagruel and identify the characteristics which make him the protagonist of the novel. What qualities does Pantagruel exhibit?
This section contains 1,336 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)