|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gargantua accidentally swallow the six pilgrims with in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
2. What plagues Africa during Pantagruel's birth?
3. In Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-two, the people of Dipsodes surrender to Pantagruel, except for whom?
4. Pantagruel: Introduction explains that this is the first edition of "Pantagruel" which was dated when?
5. Who claims that many monks are lazy in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Panurge attempt to seduce in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? What is his response?
2. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
3. Who does Gargantua accidentally swallow in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
4. To whom is Pantagruel compared in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten? What office is offered him and why does he refuse it?
5. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
6. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
7. What argument do Panurge and Pantagruel have about money in the Third Book of Pantagruel?
8. What does the Introduction of Pantagruel reveal about the style and time period of the piece?
9. What dispute arises in Garganua's homeland in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three? Who begins an attack?
10. What does King Picrochole do for revenge in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the allusions to Virgil, Lucian, Plato and Cicero in the narrative. Why does Pantagruel suggest Panurge refer to Virgil for his answer about marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Define the literary element of "theme." How is the theme of education manifested in "Gargantua"? What position does Rabelais take on education in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the war which erupts between Lerne and Utopia, and the characters of King Picrochole, and Frere Jean. In what ways is Rabelais satirizing Christianity through the character of Frere Jean?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)