Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many knights approach Pantagruel's vessel in Pantagruel: Chapter Sixteen?
2. What does Pantagruel cover his men with from the rain in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-two?
3. Who kills many of the enemy when he sees them stealing the grapes that the monastery uses for an entire year of wine in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-five?
4. What is the name of Gargantua's father?
5. What does Gargantua accidentally swallow the six pilgrims with in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Panurge buy a sheep from in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Six? What incident follows?
2. What is the response of the Amaurots to King Anarch's defeat?
3. Who does Pantagruel gather to advise Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-nine? What do they advise?
4. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
5. When was the Fifth Book of Pantagruel published? What is said about it in the Introductions and Prologue?
6. What do Pantagruel and his men see on the Isle of Frieze-cloth? What do they attain in Lanternland?
7. What takes place in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Sixty-six through the end of the novel?
8. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
9. With whom does Pantagruel almost fight in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What happens?
10. What land does Pantagruel subdue in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Who does he give Salmaguni to?
Describe the character of Pantagruel and identify the characteristics which make him the protagonist of the novel. What qualities does Pantagruel exhibit?
Describe the the central character of Gargantua. How does Gargantua's childhood relate to the character of Pantagruel's? How are the characters similar and different?
Discuss the history of fortune-telling and superstition during the time the novel was written. How much credit was given to soothsayers, oracles, etc. during Rabelais' time?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)