|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Panurge suggests making the decision of whether or not to marry in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven by doing what?
2. Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that the humanist type of this book was published in what year?
3. Pantagruel: Introduction explains that this is the first edition of "Pantagruel" which was dated when?
4. What does Pantagruel's father compose for Pantagruel's mother after his birth?
5. What does the midwife administer to Gargantua's mother when she goes into labor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Pantagruel sent in Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What are his impressions of study?
2. What is the response of the Amaurots to King Anarch's defeat?
3. What does Pantagruel think of Panurge at the onset of their friendship? How does the narrator describe Panurge in Pantagruel: Chapter Twelve?
4. When does Gargantua leave Paris? Where does he go?
5. What land does Pantagruel subdue in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Who does he give Salmaguni to?
6. What dispute arises in Garganua's homeland in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three? Who begins an attack?
7. To whom is Pantagruel compared in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten? What office is offered him and why does he refuse it?
8. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
9. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
10. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of "Pantagruel". During what time period does the story take place? How realistic are the locations and the people of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the allusions to Virgil, Lucian, Plato and Cicero in the narrative. Why does Pantagruel suggest Panurge refer to Virgil for his answer about marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Roman legal formulas presented in the Prologue of The Fourth Book of Pantagruel, as well as the works of Erasmus, Aesop, and Tiraqueau. Why does Rabelais comment on these authors in his introductions to the fourth novel?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)