|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pantagruel refuses the offer given to him in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten because he believes such offices are like what?
2. Of whom is it written, "if ever there was such a one in Paris, a felon, a cheat, a tippler, a loafer, a scrounger, but that apart, the nicest young lad in the world"?
3. Who does Panurge talk of having escaped because they wanted to roast him alive in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
4. How many generations of Pantagruel's genealogy are described in Pantagruel: Chapter One?
5. Who insists in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five that though lending and borrowing is sometimes necessary, it should be used sparingly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What land does Pantagruel subdue in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Who does he give Salmaguni to?
2. What did Rabelais write in his "Pantagrueline Prognostication for 1533"? What did he assure the reader?
3. What does Panurge ask Pantagruel's advice about in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? What discussion follows?
4. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
5. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
6. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
7. Who does Panurge attempt to seduce in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? What is his response?
8. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
9. What does the Introduction of Pantagruel reveal about the style and time period of the piece?
10. What does King Picrochole do for revenge in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of marriage in the narrative. What ideals are presented of marriage by the characters? How does this reflect upon their character?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify literary and religious allusion in the narrative. What allusion does Rabelais make of Christianity in the reading? How does Pantagruel's story reflect that of Aeneas in "The Aeneid"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss humanist law and philosophy, and the arguments presented in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Thirty-three through Forty-four. How does Bridoye define law?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)