|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who addresses Gargantua to explain the importance of the bells in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen?
2. What position is offered to Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
3. Who does Grandgousier summon in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-seven?
4. Of whom is it written, "if ever there was such a one in Paris, a felon, a cheat, a tippler, a loafer, a scrounger, but that apart, the nicest young lad in the world"?
5. What does Pantagruel intend to have a look at with his friend in Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gargantua build in Gargantua: Chapter Fifty? Why?
2. What does the Introduction of Pantagruel reveal about the style and time period of the piece?
3. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
4. What does King Picrochole do for revenge in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
5. What land does Pantagruel subdue in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Who does he give Salmaguni to?
6. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
7. Where is Pantagruel sent in Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What are his impressions of study?
8. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
9. What did Rabelais write in his "Pantagrueline Prognostication for 1533"? What did he assure the reader?
10. What is the subject of Gargantua: Chapters One through Five? What is suggested by Gargamelle's pregnancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the critical and public response of "Pantagruel". What does Rabelais write in his introductions to "Gargantua" that implies the first novel was controversial? Was it?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of "Pantagruel". During what time period does the story take place? How realistic are the locations and the people of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of marriage in the narrative. What ideals are presented of marriage by the characters? How does this reflect upon their character?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)