|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Gargantua: Chapter One, the author writes that Gargantua's lineage was uncovered by whom?
2. What is the name of Gargantua's mother?
3. Panurge suggests making the decision of whether or not to marry in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven by doing what?
4. Whose reputation grows after winning the dispute against the Englishman in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
5. In Pantagruel: Prologue, the author compared the novel to what literary genre?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
2. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
3. What does Pantagruel think of Panurge at the onset of their friendship? How does the narrator describe Panurge in Pantagruel: Chapter Twelve?
4. Why is Braggart killed? Who kills him?
5. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
6. Who does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? How is this character described?
7. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
8. What dispute arises in Garganua's homeland in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three? Who begins an attack?
9. What does Panurge ask Pantagruel's advice about in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? What discussion follows?
10. What is stated about the style and time period of the Third Book of Pantagruel in the Introduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Rabelais and his relationship to Christianity. What criticisms of the Church can be found in Gargantua: Chapters Thirty-six through Forty-two? Why does Rabelais cite the Seven Psalms and Absalom?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Pantagruel and identify the characteristics which make him the protagonist of the novel. What qualities does Pantagruel exhibit?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the life and works of Francois Rabelais. What style was the author known for? What formats did he write in other than novels?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)