|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who consults Seraphin Calobarsy to set Gargantua on a better path in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-one?
2. Who brings an action against the Sorbonnists in court in Gargantua: Chapter Nineteen?
3. What does Gargantua's father ask him to do by letter in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-six?
4. Where does Pantagruel send Carpalim in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
5. Whose defeat does Carpalim announce to the city in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rabelais write in his "Pantagrueline Prognostication for 1533"? What did he assure the reader?
2. What is stated about the style and time period of the Third Book of Pantagruel in the Introduction?
3. When does Gargantua leave Paris? Where does he go?
4. Who does Gargantua accidentally swallow in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
5. What is sent to Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifteen? What does he do with the gift?
6. What does Gargantua build in Gargantua: Chapter Fifty? Why?
7. What land does Pantagruel subdue in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Who does he give Salmaguni to?
8. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
9. What does Pantagruel think of Panurge at the onset of their friendship? How does the narrator describe Panurge in Pantagruel: Chapter Twelve?
10. Who attempts to get back the bells of Notre Dame in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen? What is Gargantua's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plot structure of the Third Book of Pantagruel, delineating the exposition, rising action, climax and denouement. Where are the main characters at the end of the novel? Is there suspense as to what will happen next?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Rabelais and his relationship to Christianity. What criticisms of the Church can be found in Gargantua: Chapters Thirty-six through Forty-two? Why does Rabelais cite the Seven Psalms and Absalom?
Essay Topic 3
Define the literary element of "theme." How is the theme of education manifested in "Gargantua"? What position does Rabelais take on education in the narrative?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)