|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings an action against the Sorbonnists in court in Gargantua: Chapter Nineteen?
2. For how long is Gargantua's mother pregnant with Gargantua?
3. Where does Pantagruel stroll toward to seek recreation from his studies in Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven?
4. How many novels are contained in the collection "Gargantua and Pantagruel" by Francois Rabelais?
5. Of whom is it written, "if ever there was such a one in Paris, a felon, a cheat, a tippler, a loafer, a scrounger, but that apart, the nicest young lad in the world"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Panurge attempt to seduce in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? What is his response?
2. Who does Pantagruel challenge to combat in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen? What is the conclusion of the battle?
3. What does the Introduction of Pantagruel reveal about the style and time period of the piece?
4. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
5. What did Rabelais write in his "Pantagrueline Prognostication for 1533"? What did he assure the reader?
6. What does Panurge ask Pantagruel's advice about in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? What discussion follows?
7. Who does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? How is this character described?
8. Who does Gargantua accidentally swallow in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
9. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
10. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss humanist law and philosophy, and the arguments presented in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Thirty-three through Forty-four. How does Bridoye define law?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Pantagruel and identify the characteristics which make him the protagonist of the novel. What qualities does Pantagruel exhibit?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of marriage in the narrative. What ideals are presented of marriage by the characters? How does this reflect upon their character?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)