|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Pantagruel sent to study in Pantagruel: Chapter 5?
2. What is the name of Pantagruel's mother?
3. Who insists in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five that there would be harmony in a world where all men are both debtors and borrowers?
4. In Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-one, le Comte Spandassaino and Captain Squirt use what to convince Picrochole to attack the cities and fortresses of Utopia?
5. Who among Pantagruel's men has his neck slit in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Gargantua leave Paris? Where does he go?
2. Who does Panurge attempt to seduce in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? What is his response?
3. Who does Gargantua accidentally swallow in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
4. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
5. What land does Pantagruel subdue in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Who does he give Salmaguni to?
6. Who attempts to get back the bells of Notre Dame in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen? What is Gargantua's response?
7. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
8. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
9. What does Panurge ask Pantagruel's advice about in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? What discussion follows?
10. What argument do Panurge and Pantagruel have about money in the Third Book of Pantagruel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Panurge in the narrative. What role does Panurge play to Pantagruel's protagonist role? What qualities does the character exhibit?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the life and works of Francois Rabelais. What style was the author known for? What formats did he write in other than novels?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Rabelais and his relationship to Christianity. What criticisms of the Church can be found in Gargantua: Chapters Thirty-six through Forty-two? Why does Rabelais cite the Seven Psalms and Absalom?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)