|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pantagruel assign the castellany of Salmagundi in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
2. Who does Gargantua take as prisoner in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-two?
3. Where is Pantagruel sent to study in Pantagruel: Chapter 5?
4. Who does King Picrochole send to patrol in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-one?
5. Whose reputation grows after winning the dispute against the Englishman in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is sent to Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifteen? What does he do with the gift?
2. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
3. What does King Picrochole do for revenge in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
4. What does Gargantua attempt to devote himself to in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty? Who assists him?
5. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
6. What is stated about the style and time period of the Third Book of Pantagruel in the Introduction?
7. What does Pantagruel think of Panurge at the onset of their friendship? How does the narrator describe Panurge in Pantagruel: Chapter Twelve?
8. What is the response of the Amaurots to King Anarch's defeat?
9. When does Gargantua leave Paris? Where does he go?
10. Who does Panurge attempt to seduce in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? What is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of fortune-telling and superstition during the time the novel was written. How much credit was given to soothsayers, oracles, etc. during Rabelais' time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the allusions to Virgil, Lucian, Plato and Cicero in the narrative. Why does Pantagruel suggest Panurge refer to Virgil for his answer about marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of "Pantagruel". During what time period does the story take place? How realistic are the locations and the people of the narrative?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)