|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whose wisdom is Pantagruel's compared in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
2. Who does Panurge dress as a crier of green sauce in order to settle him into a trade in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
3. Where does Pantagruel send Carpalim in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
4. What does the midwife administer to Gargantua's mother when she goes into labor?
5. Whose defeat does Carpalim announce to the city in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does King Picrochole do for revenge in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
2. What dispute arises in Garganua's homeland in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three? Who begins an attack?
3. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
4. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
5. To whom is Pantagruel compared in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten? What office is offered him and why does he refuse it?
6. What argument do Panurge and Pantagruel have about money in the Third Book of Pantagruel?
7. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
8. Where is Pantagruel sent in Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What are his impressions of study?
9. Who attempts to get back the bells of Notre Dame in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen? What is Gargantua's response?
10. What is sent to Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifteen? What does he do with the gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify literary and religious allusion in the narrative. What allusion does Rabelais make of Christianity in the reading? How does Pantagruel's story reflect that of Aeneas in "The Aeneid"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss humanist law and philosophy, and the arguments presented in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Thirty-three through Forty-four. How does Bridoye define law?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the war which erupts between Lerne and Utopia, and the characters of King Picrochole, and Frere Jean. In what ways is Rabelais satirizing Christianity through the character of Frere Jean?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)