|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom is it written, "if ever there was such a one in Paris, a felon, a cheat, a tippler, a loafer, a scrounger, but that apart, the nicest young lad in the world"?
2. Where does Pantagruel's army march to take the entire kingdom by force in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
3. What English scholar comes to visit Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen?
4. Pantagruel refuses the offer given to him in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten because he believes such offices are like what?
5. Panurge suggests making the decision of whether or not to marry in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven by doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is sent to Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifteen? What does he do with the gift?
2. Who attempts to get back the bells of Notre Dame in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen? What is Gargantua's response?
3. What does Gargantua attempt to devote himself to in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty? Who assists him?
4. What does Gargantua build in Gargantua: Chapter Fifty? Why?
5. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
6. When does Gargantua leave Paris? Where does he go?
7. What islands does Pantagruel pass in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Nine through Eleven?
8. What does the Introduction of Pantagruel reveal about the style and time period of the piece?
9. What does the physician suggest to Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-three? What about the philosopher?
10. Who does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? How is this character described?
Essay Topic 1
Describe some examples of symbolism, metaphor and simile in the narrative and analyze the meaning implied by each. How do these symbols relate to the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marguerite de Navarre and the system of patrons during Rabelais' time, as well as the significance of the evangelicals and orthodoxy presented in the introductions to the Third Book of Pantagruel. What treatise of Lucian's is cited and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss astrology and astronomy in the sixteenth century and how these are reflected in the novels of the collection. How much regard was given to astrologers during this time?
This section contains 1,392 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)