|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many knights approach Pantagruel's vessel in Pantagruel: Chapter Sixteen?
2. What does Gargantua's father exclaim upon Gargantua's birth?
3. Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that the humanist type of this book was published in what year?
4. How many generations of Pantagruel's genealogy are described in Pantagruel: Chapter One?
5. What land does Pantagruel subdue in the beginning of Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
2. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
3. Who attempts to get back the bells of Notre Dame in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen? What is Gargantua's response?
4. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
5. What does King Picrochole do for revenge in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
6. What does Panurge ask Pantagruel's advice about in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? What discussion follows?
7. What does the Introduction of Pantagruel reveal about the style and time period of the piece?
8. What is the response of the Amaurots to King Anarch's defeat?
9. Who does Pantagruel challenge to combat in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen? What is the conclusion of the battle?
10. What is sent to Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifteen? What does he do with the gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plot structure of the Third Book of Pantagruel, delineating the exposition, rising action, climax and denouement. Where are the main characters at the end of the novel? Is there suspense as to what will happen next?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Roman legal formulas presented in the Prologue of The Fourth Book of Pantagruel, as well as the works of Erasmus, Aesop, and Tiraqueau. Why does Rabelais comment on these authors in his introductions to the fourth novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the allusions to Virgil, Lucian, Plato and Cicero in the narrative. Why does Pantagruel suggest Panurge refer to Virgil for his answer about marriage?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)