|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What land does Pantagruel subdue in the beginning of Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One?
2. Who does King Picrochole send to patrol in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-one?
3. Who does Pantagruel learn have laid waste to Utopia in Pantagruel: Chapter Fifteen?
4. Who does Braggart kill for accusing him of corruption in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-five?
5. Pantagruel: Dixain was written by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
2. What does Panurge ask Pantagruel's advice about in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? What discussion follows?
3. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
4. What does the Introduction of Pantagruel reveal about the style and time period of the piece?
5. What is the subject of Gargantua: Chapters One through Five? What is suggested by Gargamelle's pregnancy?
6. What did Rabelais write in his "Pantagrueline Prognostication for 1533"? What did he assure the reader?
7. Why is Braggart killed? Who kills him?
8. Who attempts to get back the bells of Notre Dame in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen? What is Gargantua's response?
9. Where is Pantagruel sent in Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What are his impressions of study?
10. Who does Pantagruel challenge to combat in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen? What is the conclusion of the battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the allusions to Virgil, Lucian, Plato and Cicero in the narrative. Why does Pantagruel suggest Panurge refer to Virgil for his answer about marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss humanist law and philosophy, and the arguments presented in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Thirty-three through Forty-four. How does Bridoye define law?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Rabelais and his relationship to Christianity. What criticisms of the Church can be found in Gargantua: Chapters Thirty-six through Forty-two? Why does Rabelais cite the Seven Psalms and Absalom?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)