|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What colors are the livery Gargantua's father orders for Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Seven?
2. Who addresses Gargantua to explain the importance of the bells in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen?
3. In Gargantua: Chapter One, the author writes that Gargantua's lineage was uncovered by whom?
4. Of whom is it written, "if ever there was such a one in Paris, a felon, a cheat, a tippler, a loafer, a scrounger, but that apart, the nicest young lad in the world"?
5. Gargantua: Introduction informs that this is the first known edition of "Gargantua" and was written early in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is stated about the style and time period of the Third Book of Pantagruel in the Introduction?
2. Who does Gargantua accidentally swallow in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
3. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
4. Who does Pantagruel challenge to combat in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen? What is the conclusion of the battle?
5. What is sent to Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifteen? What does he do with the gift?
6. When does Gargantua leave Paris? Where does he go?
7. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
8. Who attempts to get back the bells of Notre Dame in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen? What is Gargantua's response?
9. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
10. Where is Pantagruel sent in Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What are his impressions of study?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Panurge in the narrative. What role does Panurge play to Pantagruel's protagonist role? What qualities does the character exhibit?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the allusions to Virgil, Lucian, Plato and Cicero in the narrative. Why does Pantagruel suggest Panurge refer to Virgil for his answer about marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the life and works of Francois Rabelais. What style was the author known for? What formats did he write in other than novels?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)