|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many knights approach Pantagruel's vessel in Pantagruel: Chapter Sixteen?
2. How many novels are contained in the collection "Gargantua and Pantagruel" by Francois Rabelais?
3. What land does Pantagruel subdue in the beginning of Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One?
4. Who brings an action against the Sorbonnists in court in Gargantua: Chapter Nineteen?
5. What does the name Pantagruel mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What islands does Pantagruel pass in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Nine through Eleven?
2. Who does Pantagruel convince Panurge to see in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
3. Where do Pantagruel and his men meet King Benius? What does he show them?
4. What does Pantagruel think of Panurge at the onset of their friendship? How does the narrator describe Panurge in Pantagruel: Chapter Twelve?
5. Where does Pantagruel land in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-five? What does he see there?
6. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
7. What do Pantagruel and his men find on the Island of Papefigues?
8. What do the inhabitants of Ruach ingest? What conversation does Pantagruel have with their king?
9. What leads Pantagruel and Panurge to the Dive Bouteille?
10. What takes place in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Sixty-six through the end of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss humanist law and philosophy, and the arguments presented in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Thirty-three through Forty-four. How does Bridoye define law?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss astrology and astronomy in the sixteenth century and how these are reflected in the novels of the collection. How much regard was given to astrologers during this time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Panurge in the narrative. What role does Panurge play to Pantagruel's protagonist role? What qualities does the character exhibit?
This section contains 1,368 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)