|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom is it written, "if ever there was such a one in Paris, a felon, a cheat, a tippler, a loafer, a scrounger, but that apart, the nicest young lad in the world"?
2. What does Pantagruel's father compose for Pantagruel's mother after his birth?
3. Who becomes stuck in a tree as he encourages the men to have courage in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
4. What does one of the pilgrims' staff hit, causing Gargantua to spit them out in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
5. To what king does Pantagruel send the prisoner in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What land does Pantagruel subdue in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Who does he give Salmaguni to?
2. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
3. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
4. Who does Gargantua accidentally swallow in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
5. What is the response of the Amaurots to King Anarch's defeat?
6. Who does Panurge attempt to seduce in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? What is his response?
7. What is stated about the style and time period of the Third Book of Pantagruel in the Introduction?
8. Why is Braggart killed? Who kills him?
9. Who attempts to get back the bells of Notre Dame in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen? What is Gargantua's response?
10. What dispute arises in Garganua's homeland in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three? Who begins an attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Rabelais and his relationship to Christianity. What criticisms of the Church can be found in Gargantua: Chapters Thirty-six through Forty-two? Why does Rabelais cite the Seven Psalms and Absalom?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Panurge in the narrative. What role does Panurge play to Pantagruel's protagonist role? What qualities does the character exhibit?
Essay Topic 3
Define and identify literary and religious allusion in the narrative. What allusion does Rabelais make of Christianity in the reading? How does Pantagruel's story reflect that of Aeneas in "The Aeneid"?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)