|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Pantagruel: Prologue, the author compared the novel to what literary genre?
2. Where does Pantagruel stroll toward to seek recreation from his studies in Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven?
3. What English scholar comes to visit Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen?
4. What occupation does Seraphin Calobarsy hold?
5. Where is Pantagruel sent to study in Pantagruel: Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
2. What does Panurge ask Pantagruel's advice about in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? What discussion follows?
3. Why is Braggart killed? Who kills him?
4. What is sent to Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifteen? What does he do with the gift?
5. Who does Panurge attempt to seduce in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? What is his response?
6. What does the Introduction of Pantagruel reveal about the style and time period of the piece?
7. Who does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? How is this character described?
8. What dispute arises in Garganua's homeland in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three? Who begins an attack?
9. What does Gargantua attempt to devote himself to in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty? Who assists him?
10. What is the subject of Gargantua: Chapters One through Five? What is suggested by Gargamelle's pregnancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Pantagruel and identify the characteristics which make him the protagonist of the novel. What qualities does Pantagruel exhibit?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of "Pantagruel". During what time period does the story take place? How realistic are the locations and the people of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss astrology and astronomy in the sixteenth century and how these are reflected in the novels of the collection. How much regard was given to astrologers during this time?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)