|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do six pilgrims returning from Saint Sebastian's hide in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
2. In Gargantua: Chapter One, the author writes that Gargantua's lineage was uncovered in a meadow near what?
3. Who claims "those who are not very bright could never spend so much in so short a time" in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
4. Who claims that many monks are lazy in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-eight?
5. What is the name of the satirical poem in Gargantua: Chapter Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. What land does Pantagruel subdue in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Who does he give Salmaguni to?
2. What does the Introduction of Pantagruel reveal about the style and time period of the piece?
3. What is sent to Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifteen? What does he do with the gift?
4. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
5. What did Rabelais write in his "Pantagrueline Prognostication for 1533"? What did he assure the reader?
6. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
7. Who attempts to get back the bells of Notre Dame in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen? What is Gargantua's response?
8. What dispute arises in Garganua's homeland in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three? Who begins an attack?
9. What does Pantagruel think of Panurge at the onset of their friendship? How does the narrator describe Panurge in Pantagruel: Chapter Twelve?
10. Where is Pantagruel sent in Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What are his impressions of study?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of "Pantagruel". During what time period does the story take place? How realistic are the locations and the people of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of marriage in the narrative. What ideals are presented of marriage by the characters? How does this reflect upon their character?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the the central character of Gargantua. How does Gargantua's childhood relate to the character of Pantagruel's? How are the characters similar and different?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)