|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Gargantua: Chapter One, the author writes that Gargantua's lineage was uncovered in a meadow near what?
2. In Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-one, le Comte Spandassaino and Captain Squirt use what to convince Picrochole to attack the cities and fortresses of Utopia?
3. Panurge suggests making the decision of whether or not to marry in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven by doing what?
4. What does Gargantua's father ask him to do by letter in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-six?
5. Who brings an action against the Sorbonnists in court in Gargantua: Chapter Nineteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom is Pantagruel compared in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten? What office is offered him and why does he refuse it?
2. When does Gargantua leave Paris? Where does he go?
3. What does Panurge ask Pantagruel's advice about in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? What discussion follows?
4. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
5. Who does Gargantua accidentally swallow in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
6. Who does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? How is this character described?
7. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
8. What is stated about the style and time period of the Third Book of Pantagruel in the Introduction?
9. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
10. Who does Pantagruel challenge to combat in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen? What is the conclusion of the battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss humanist law and philosophy, and the arguments presented in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Thirty-three through Forty-four. How does Bridoye define law?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of marriage in the narrative. What ideals are presented of marriage by the characters? How does this reflect upon their character?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the life and works of Francois Rabelais. What style was the author known for? What formats did he write in other than novels?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)