|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Panurge talk of having escaped because they wanted to roast him alive in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
(a) The Russians.
(b) The Italians.
(c) The Turks.
(d) The English.
2. What does the midwife administer to Gargantua's mother when she goes into labor?
(a) A constrictive.
(c) A poison.
(d) A pain killer.
3. Pantagruel: Introduction explains that this is the first edition of "Pantagruel" which was dated when?
(a) 1513 or 1514.
(b) 1515 or 1516.
(c) 1531 or 1532.
(d) 1522 or 1523.
4. It is written in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-two that Gargantua spent rainy days attending what?
(b) Public lectures.
(c) The theatre.
(d) Art museums.
5. Who addresses Gargantua to explain the importance of the bells in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen?
(b) Magister Janotus de Bragmardo.
(c) Magister Virgil.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who orders his men to march against the shepherds of Utopia in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-four?
2. Where does Pantagruel send Carpalim in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
3. What does Grandgousier give to each pilgrim for their journey in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-three?
4. What does Pantagruel cover his men with from the rain in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-two?
5. Who does Gargantua take as prisoner in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-two?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Pantagruel sent in Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What are his impressions of study?
2. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
3. What does Pantagruel think of Panurge at the onset of their friendship? How does the narrator describe Panurge in Pantagruel: Chapter Twelve?
4. What is sent to Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifteen? What does he do with the gift?
5. What dispute arises in Garganua's homeland in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three? Who begins an attack?
6. What does Gargantua attempt to devote himself to in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty? Who assists him?
7. What is the response of the Amaurots to King Anarch's defeat?
8. Who does Pantagruel challenge to combat in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen? What is the conclusion of the battle?
9. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
10. Who attempts to get back the bells of Notre Dame in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen? What is Gargantua's response?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)