|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Panurge dress as a crier of green sauce in order to settle him into a trade in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
(c) King Anarch.
2. Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that the humanist type of this book was published by whom?
(a) Chretien Wechel of Paris.
(b) King Anarch.
(c) Frere Jean.
3. Gargantua: Introduction informs that this is the first known edition of "Gargantua" and was written early in what year?
4. What does Pantagruel's father compose for Pantagruel's mother after his birth?
(a) A symphony.
(b) A note of appreciation.
(c) An epitaph.
(d) A poem.
5. What is the name of Pantagruel's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many generations of Pantagruel's genealogy are described in Pantagruel: Chapter One?
2. What does Gargantua's father exclaim upon Gargantua's birth?
3. What occupation does Seraphin Calobarsy hold?
4. For how long is Gargantua's mother pregnant with Gargantua?
5. Who consults Seraphin Calobarsy to set Gargantua on a better path in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-one?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gargantua attempt to devote himself to in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty? Who assists him?
2. What is stated about the style and time period of the Third Book of Pantagruel in the Introduction?
3. What is the response of the Amaurots to King Anarch's defeat?
4. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
5. Who does Pantagruel challenge to combat in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen? What is the conclusion of the battle?
6. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
7. What does Gargantua build in Gargantua: Chapter Fifty? Why?
8. What argument do Panurge and Pantagruel have about money in the Third Book of Pantagruel?
9. What dispute arises in Garganua's homeland in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three? Who begins an attack?
10. Who does Gargantua accidentally swallow in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)