|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the abbey built by Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifty?
(a) Abbey of the Thelemites.
(b) Abbey or the King.
(c) Abbey of the Ottomans.
(d) Abbey of the Turks.
2. What gives permission to the king to print and sell Rabelais' book as written in Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction?
(a) The King's Privilege.
(b) The Royal Prerogative.
(c) The King's Greed.
(d) The King's Power.
3. What position does Ulrich Gallet hold in Gargantua?
(a) Prime Minister.
(b) Master of Petitions.
(c) Merchant of the year.
4. Where do six pilgrims returning from Saint Sebastian's hide in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
(a) A meadow.
(b) A lakeshore.
(c) A garden.
(d) A forest.
5. What occupation does Seraphin Calobarsy hold?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pantagruel's father compose for Pantagruel's mother after his birth?
2. In Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-one, le Comte Spandassaino and Captain Squirt use what to convince Picrochole to attack the cities and fortresses of Utopia?
3. What leader does Pantagruel challenge to single combat in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
4. Panurge suggests making the decision of whether or not to marry in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven by doing what?
5. Who claims "those who are not very bright could never spend so much in so short a time" in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. What land does Pantagruel subdue in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Who does he give Salmaguni to?
2. What argument do Panurge and Pantagruel have about money in the Third Book of Pantagruel?
3. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
4. What is sent to Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifteen? What does he do with the gift?
5. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
6. What does Panurge ask Pantagruel's advice about in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? What discussion follows?
7. When does Gargantua leave Paris? Where does he go?
8. Who does Gargantua accidentally swallow in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
9. What dispute arises in Garganua's homeland in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three? Who begins an attack?
10. What is the response of the Amaurots to King Anarch's defeat?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)