|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Pantagruel's father?
2. Pantagruel: Introduction explains that this is the first edition of "Pantagruel" which was dated when?
(a) 1515 or 1516.
(b) 1522 or 1523.
(c) 1531 or 1532.
(d) 1513 or 1514.
3. What is the name of the satirical poem in Gargantua: Chapter Two?
(a) "Dangerous Brew."
(b) "Antidoted Bubbles."
(c) "Healthful Drink."
(d) "Poison Foam."
4. What does Pantagruel receive instead of the office in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
5. Who addresses Gargantua to explain the importance of the bells in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen?
(a) Magister Janotus de Bragmardo.
(d) Magister Virgil.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims that many monks are lazy in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-eight?
2. What does Pantagruel's father compose for Pantagruel's mother after his birth?
3. Who does King Picrochole send to patrol in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-one?
4. Gargantua: Introduction informs that this is the first known edition of "Gargantua" and was written early in what year?
5. What does the midwife administer to Gargantua's mother when she goes into labor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
2. What hearing does Pantagruel attend in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-eight? What is revealed there?
3. What does Panurge decipher from his dreams in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? How does Pantagruel interpret the dream?
4. Who does Pantagruel gather to advise Panurge in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-nine? What do they advise?
5. What does Pantagruel think of Panurge at the onset of their friendship? How does the narrator describe Panurge in Pantagruel: Chapter Twelve?
6. Who does Pantagruel convince Panurge to see in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
7. What do the inhabitants of Ruach ingest? What conversation does Pantagruel have with their king?
8. Why is Braggart killed? Who kills him?
9. Where is Pantagruel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Where does he depart?
10. What dispute arises in Garganua's homeland in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three? Who begins an attack?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)