|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gargantua's father exclaim upon Gargantua's birth?
2. Who kills many of the enemy when he sees them stealing the grapes that the monastery uses for an entire year of wine in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-five?
(b) Magister Janotus de Bragmardo.
(d) Frere Jean des Entommeures.
3. Who summons the inhabitants of the city to set fire to the Dipsodes' camp in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
(b) King Anarch.
(d) Loup Garou.
4. Who does Pantagruel assign the castellany of Salmagundi in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
(d) Frere Jean.
5. What does Pantagruel intend to have a look at with his friend in Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven?
(a) La Follie-Gobelin.
(c) The walls of Paris.
(d) Dipsodes' camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who orders his men to march against the shepherds of Utopia in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-four?
2. Pantagruel: Dixain was written by whom?
3. What is the name of Pantagruel's mother?
4. What man with a Germanic tongue does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine?
5. What does Pantagruel's father compose for Pantagruel's mother after his birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What land does Pantagruel subdue in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Who does he give Salmaguni to?
2. Who attempts to get back the bells of Notre Dame in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen? What is Gargantua's response?
3. What is stated about the style and time period of the Third Book of Pantagruel in the Introduction?
4. Why is Braggart killed? Who kills him?
5. Who does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? How is this character described?
6. What argument do Panurge and Pantagruel have about money in the Third Book of Pantagruel?
7. Who does Panurge attempt to seduce in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? What is his response?
8. Who does Gargantua accidentally swallow in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
9. What is sent to Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifteen? What does he do with the gift?
10. What did Rabelais write in his "Pantagrueline Prognostication for 1533"? What did he assure the reader?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)