|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pantagruel: Introduction explains that this is the first edition of "Pantagruel" which was dated when?
(a) 1515 or 1516.
(b) 1522 or 1523.
(c) 1513 or 1514.
(d) 1531 or 1532.
2. What is the name of the satirical poem in Gargantua: Chapter Two?
(a) "Poison Foam."
(b) "Healthful Drink."
(c) "Dangerous Brew."
(d) "Antidoted Bubbles."
3. Who claims that many monks are lazy in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-eight?
(b) Frere Jean.
(d) King Picrochole the Third.
4. What does Gargantua's father ask him to do by letter in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-six?
(a) Come home.
(b) Go to London.
(c) Go to church.
(d) Go to Paris.
5. Panurge suggests making the decision of whether or not to marry in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven by doing what?
(a) Throwing dice.
(b) Talking to a fortune teller.
(c) Using cards.
(d) Reading Virgil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Panurge cease to wear in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Seven?
2. In Gargantua: Chapter One, the author writes that Gargantua's lineage was uncovered in a meadow near what?
3. Where do six pilgrims returning from Saint Sebastian's hide in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
4. How many knights approach Pantagruel's vessel in Pantagruel: Chapter Sixteen?
5. What man with a Germanic tongue does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What land does Pantagruel subdue in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Who does he give Salmaguni to?
2. What does Gargantua attempt to devote himself to in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty? Who assists him?
3. What does King Picrochole do for revenge in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
4. Who does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? How is this character described?
5. When does Gargantua leave Paris? Where does he go?
6. What did Rabelais write in his "Pantagrueline Prognostication for 1533"? What did he assure the reader?
7. Who does Gargantua accidentally swallow in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
8. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
9. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
10. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)