|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
(a) A concoction.
(b) A special book.
(c) An olive branch.
(d) A peace flower.
2. Pantagruel advises Panurge to foretell whether he will have a good or bad marriage from what in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen?
(a) His dreams.
(b) The clouds.
(c) The works of Homer.
(d) An encyclopedia.
3. Who kills many of the enemy when he sees them stealing the grapes that the monastery uses for an entire year of wine in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-five?
(a) Frere Jean des Entommeures.
(c) Magister Janotus de Bragmardo.
4. Panurge suggests making the decision of whether or not to marry in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven by doing what?
(a) Talking to a fortune teller.
(b) Using cards.
(c) Throwing dice.
(d) Reading Virgil.
5. What is the name of Pantagruel's mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Gargantua: Chapter One, the author writes that Gargantua's lineage was uncovered by whom?
2. What leader does Pantagruel challenge to single combat in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
3. Who brings an action against the Sorbonnists in court in Gargantua: Chapter Nineteen?
4. Where is Pantagruel sent to study in Pantagruel: Chapter 5?
5. Who does King Picrochole send to patrol in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-one?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Gargantua leave Paris? Where does he go?
2. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
3. What dispute arises in Garganua's homeland in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three? Who begins an attack?
4. Who does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? How is this character described?
5. What is sent to Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifteen? What does he do with the gift?
6. To whom is Pantagruel compared in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten? What office is offered him and why does he refuse it?
7. Where is Pantagruel sent in Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What are his impressions of study?
8. What does Gargantua build in Gargantua: Chapter Fifty? Why?
9. What is stated about the style and time period of the Third Book of Pantagruel in the Introduction?
10. Who does Pantagruel challenge to combat in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen? What is the conclusion of the battle?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)