|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Pantagruel: Prologue, the author compared the novel to what literary genre?
(a) Medieval fairy tales.
(c) Medieval romances.
(d) Medieval war tales.
2. What man with a Germanic tongue does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine?
3. Who does Panurge talk of having escaped because they wanted to roast him alive in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
(a) The Russians.
(b) The Italians.
(c) The Turks.
(d) The English.
4. Who does King Picrochole send to patrol in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-one?
(c) Comte de Rushin.
5. What does the midwife administer to Gargantua's mother when she goes into labor?
(a) A pain killer.
(b) A constrictive.
(d) A poison.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is made for Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Eleven?
2. What does Gargantua attempt to devote himself to in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty?
3. Pantagruel refuses the offer given to him in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten because he believes such offices are like what?
4. What does Grandgousier give to each pilgrim for their journey in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-three?
5. Who consults Seraphin Calobarsy to set Gargantua on a better path in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-one?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
2. Where does Pantagruel travel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Seven through Ten?
3. Where does Pantagruel set out in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Twenty-eight through Thirty?
4. Where does Pantagruel land in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-five? What does he see there?
5. What dispute arises in Garganua's homeland in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three? Who begins an attack?
6. What is stated about the style and time period of the Third Book of Pantagruel in the Introduction?
7. Who does Pantagruel convince Panurge to see in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
8. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
9. What do the inhabitants of Ruach ingest? What conversation does Pantagruel have with their king?
10. What does Gargantua build in Gargantua: Chapter Fifty? Why?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)