|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who kills many of the enemy when he sees them stealing the grapes that the monastery uses for an entire year of wine in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-five?
(a) Magister Janotus de Bragmardo.
(d) Frere Jean des Entommeures.
2. What does the name Pantagruel mean?
(a) Giant man.
(b) All love.
(c) All thirst.
(d) Cruel leader.
3. What does Pantagruel's father compose for Pantagruel's mother after his birth?
(a) A poem.
(b) A note of appreciation.
(c) An epitaph.
(d) A symphony.
4. Gargantua's countrymen get into a dispute with the bakers of where in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three?
(b) The Isle of Ennasin.
5. What colors are the livery Gargantua's father orders for Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Seven?
(a) Black and tan.
(b) Green and gold.
(c) Blue and orange.
(d) Blue and white.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men in copper spheres are sent into Pantagruel's stomach to dislodge a mountain of ordure in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-three?
2. Who becomes stuck in a tree as he encourages the men to have courage in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
3. How many novels are contained in the collection "Gargantua and Pantagruel" by Francois Rabelais?
4. Who does Pantagruel learn have laid waste to Utopia in Pantagruel: Chapter Fifteen?
5. What is made for Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Eleven?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
2. What is the response of the Amaurots to King Anarch's defeat?
3. What does Gargantua build in Gargantua: Chapter Fifty? Why?
4. What does Pantagruel think of Panurge at the onset of their friendship? How does the narrator describe Panurge in Pantagruel: Chapter Twelve?
5. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
6. What does the Introduction of Pantagruel reveal about the style and time period of the piece?
7. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
8. What is stated about the style and time period of the Third Book of Pantagruel in the Introduction?
9. Who does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? How is this character described?
10. What does Panurge ask Pantagruel's advice about in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? What discussion follows?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)