|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Gargantua: Chapter One, the author writes that Gargantua's lineage was uncovered in a meadow near what?
2. Gargantua: Introduction informs that this is the first known edition of "Gargantua" and was written early in what year?
3. In Pantagruel: Prologue, the author compared the novel to what literary genre?
(b) Medieval war tales.
(c) Medieval fairy tales.
(d) Medieval romances.
4. Who among Pantagruel's men has his neck slit in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
(d) Loup Garou.
5. What does Gargantua accidentally swallow the six pilgrims with in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes stuck in a tree as he encourages the men to have courage in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
2. Who does Panurge talk of having escaped because they wanted to roast him alive in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
3. Who insists in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five that there would be harmony in a world where all men are both debtors and borrowers?
4. How many men in copper spheres are sent into Pantagruel's stomach to dislodge a mountain of ordure in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-three?
5. Where does Pantagruel stroll toward to seek recreation from his studies in Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
2. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
3. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
4. What did Rabelais write in his "Pantagrueline Prognostication for 1533"? What did he assure the reader?
5. What is the subject of Gargantua: Chapters One through Five? What is suggested by Gargamelle's pregnancy?
6. Where is Pantagruel sent in Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What are his impressions of study?
7. What land does Pantagruel subdue in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Who does he give Salmaguni to?
8. Who does Gargantua accidentally swallow in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
9. What is sent to Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifteen? What does he do with the gift?
10. Who does Panurge attempt to seduce in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? What is his response?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)