|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gargantua's father exclaim upon Gargantua's birth?
2. Who insists in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five that though lending and borrowing is sometimes necessary, it should be used sparingly?
3. Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that the humanist type of this book was published by whom?
(a) Frere Jean.
(c) Chretien Wechel of Paris.
(d) King Anarch.
4. Pantagruel: Dixain was written by whom?
(c) Francois Rabelais.
(d) Maitre Hughes Salel.
5. What is the name of the abbey built by Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifty?
(a) Abbey of the Thelemites.
(b) Abbey of the Turks.
(c) Abbey of the Ottomans.
(d) Abbey or the King.
Short Answer Questions
1. Panurge suggests making the decision of whether or not to marry in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven by doing what?
2. For how long is Gargantua's mother pregnant with Gargantua?
3. In Pantagruel: Prologue, the author compared the novel to what literary genre?
4. What plagues Africa during Pantagruel's birth?
5. Where does Pantagruel stroll toward to seek recreation from his studies in Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of Gargantua: Chapters One through Five? What is suggested by Gargamelle's pregnancy?
2. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
3. What argument do Panurge and Pantagruel have about money in the Third Book of Pantagruel?
4. What is sent to Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifteen? What does he do with the gift?
5. What does Panurge ask Pantagruel's advice about in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? What discussion follows?
6. Who attempts to get back the bells of Notre Dame in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen? What is Gargantua's response?
7. What dispute arises in Garganua's homeland in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three? Who begins an attack?
8. Why is Braggart killed? Who kills him?
9. Who does Pantagruel challenge to combat in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen? What is the conclusion of the battle?
10. What is stated about the style and time period of the Third Book of Pantagruel in the Introduction?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)