|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gargantua accidentally swallow the six pilgrims with in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
2. What does Gargantua's father exclaim upon Gargantua's birth?
3. Gargantua's countrymen get into a dispute with the bakers of where in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three?
(d) The Isle of Ennasin.
4. What gives permission to the king to print and sell Rabelais' book as written in Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction?
(a) The King's Power.
(b) The King's Greed.
(c) The King's Privilege.
(d) The Royal Prerogative.
5. In Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-one, le Comte Spandassaino and Captain Squirt use what to convince Picrochole to attack the cities and fortresses of Utopia?
Short Answer Questions
1. Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that the humanist type of this book was published in what year?
2. What English scholar comes to visit Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen?
3. What does the name Pantagruel mean?
4. With whose wisdom is Pantagruel's compared in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
5. What is the name of Gargantua's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Gargantua leave Paris? Where does he go?
2. What land does Pantagruel subdue in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Who does he give Salmaguni to?
3. What does Gargantua attempt to devote himself to in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty? Who assists him?
4. Who does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? How is this character described?
5. What does King Picrochole do for revenge in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
6. What is stated about the style and time period of the Third Book of Pantagruel in the Introduction?
7. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
8. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
9. What dispute arises in Garganua's homeland in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three? Who begins an attack?
10. What argument do Panurge and Pantagruel have about money in the Third Book of Pantagruel?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)