|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gargantua attempt to devote himself to in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty?
2. What position is offered to Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
(a) Receiver of Petitions.
(b) Receiver of Petitions and President of Court.
(c) President of Court.
(d) President of Petitions.
3. What occupation does Seraphin Calobarsy hold?
4. Who does Panurge talk of having escaped because they wanted to roast him alive in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
(a) The Italians.
(b) The Russians.
(c) The Turks.
(d) The English.
5. What is the name of the abbey built by Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifty?
(a) Abbey of the Ottomans.
(b) Abbey of the Turks.
(c) Abbey of the Thelemites.
(d) Abbey or the King.
Short Answer Questions
1. Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that the humanist type of this book was published in what year?
2. Panurge suggests making the decision of whether or not to marry in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven by doing what?
3. Who claims that many monks are lazy in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-eight?
4. Who asks why many men avoid monks in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-eight?
5. It is written in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-two that Gargantua spent rainy days attending what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
2. When does Gargantua leave Paris? Where does he go?
3. What does King Picrochole do for revenge in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
4. To whom is Pantagruel compared in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten? What office is offered him and why does he refuse it?
5. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
6. Who does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? How is this character described?
7. What argument do Panurge and Pantagruel have about money in the Third Book of Pantagruel?
8. What does Gargantua attempt to devote himself to in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty? Who assists him?
9. What does Pantagruel think of Panurge at the onset of their friendship? How does the narrator describe Panurge in Pantagruel: Chapter Twelve?
10. What does the Introduction of Pantagruel reveal about the style and time period of the piece?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)