|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who asks why many men avoid monks in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-eight?
(a) King Anarch.
2. What position does Ulrich Gallet hold in Gargantua?
(b) Master of Petitions.
(c) Merchant of the year.
(d) Prime Minister.
3. Who insists in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five that there would be harmony in a world where all men are both debtors and borrowers?
(a) King Anarch.
(b) Jean Audeau.
4. What does the midwife administer to Gargantua's mother when she goes into labor?
(b) A constrictive.
(c) A pain killer.
(d) A poison.
5. Who does Pantagruel assign the castellany of Salmagundi in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
(d) Frere Jean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives permission to the king to print and sell Rabelais' book as written in Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction?
2. Who insists in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five that though lending and borrowing is sometimes necessary, it should be used sparingly?
3. It is written in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-two that Gargantua spent rainy days attending what?
4. What is the name of Pantagruel's father?
5. What does Gargantua accidentally swallow the six pilgrims with in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
2. What argument do Panurge and Pantagruel have about money in the Third Book of Pantagruel?
3. What does King Picrochole do for revenge in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
4. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
5. What land does Pantagruel subdue in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Who does he give Salmaguni to?
6. Who does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? How is this character described?
7. Who attempts to get back the bells of Notre Dame in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen? What is Gargantua's response?
8. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
9. Why is Braggart killed? Who kills him?
10. What did Rabelais write in his "Pantagrueline Prognostication for 1533"? What did he assure the reader?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)