|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pantagruel: Introduction explains that this is the first edition of "Pantagruel" which was dated when?
(a) 1522 or 1523.
(b) 1531 or 1532.
(c) 1515 or 1516.
(d) 1513 or 1514.
2. What man with a Germanic tongue does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine?
3. What does Pantagruel suggest he and Panurge consult to determine whether Panurge should marry in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twelve?
(a) The works of Homer.
(b) The works of Aristotle.
(c) The works of Socrates.
(d) The works of Virgil.
4. What does Panurge cease to wear in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Seven?
(a) His helmet.
(b) His crown.
(c) His armor.
(d) His codpiece.
5. It is written in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-two that Gargantua spent rainy days attending what?
(a) The theatre.
(b) Public lectures.
(c) Art museums.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who among Pantagruel's men has his neck slit in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
2. What plagues Africa during Pantagruel's birth?
3. In Gargantua: Chapter One, the author writes that Gargantua's lineage was uncovered in a meadow near what?
4. Who claims that many monks are lazy in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-eight?
5. What does Gargantua's father ask him to do by letter in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-six?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is stated about the style and time period of the Third Book of Pantagruel in the Introduction?
2. What is the subject of Gargantua: Chapters One through Five? What is suggested by Gargamelle's pregnancy?
3. Why is Braggart killed? Who kills him?
4. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
5. What land does Pantagruel subdue in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Who does he give Salmaguni to?
6. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
7. What does the Introduction of Pantagruel reveal about the style and time period of the piece?
8. What does King Picrochole do for revenge in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
9. Who attempts to get back the bells of Notre Dame in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen? What is Gargantua's response?
10. What did Rabelais write in his "Pantagrueline Prognostication for 1533"? What did he assure the reader?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)