|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gives permission to the king to print and sell Rabelais' book as written in Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction?
(a) The Royal Prerogative.
(b) The King's Greed.
(c) The King's Power.
(d) The King's Privilege.
2. For how long is Gargantua's mother pregnant with Gargantua?
(a) Eleven months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Seventy days.
(d) One hundred weeks.
3. Who does Panurge dress as a crier of green sauce in order to settle him into a trade in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
(c) King Anarch.
4. In Pantagruel: Prologue, the author compared the novel to what literary genre?
(b) Medieval war tales.
(c) Medieval romances.
(d) Medieval fairy tales.
5. Who does Pantagruel assign the castellany of Salmagundi in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
(c) Frere Jean.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Gargantua: Chapter One, the author writes that Gargantua's lineage was uncovered by whom?
2. Who insists in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five that though lending and borrowing is sometimes necessary, it should be used sparingly?
3. Who does Grandgousier summon in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-seven?
4. Where does Pantagruel stroll toward to seek recreation from his studies in Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven?
5. Who brings an action against the Sorbonnists in court in Gargantua: Chapter Nineteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is sent to Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifteen? What does he do with the gift?
2. Who attempts to get back the bells of Notre Dame in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen? What is Gargantua's response?
3. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
4. Why is Braggart killed? Who kills him?
5. Who does Panurge attempt to seduce in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? What is his response?
6. What is stated about the style and time period of the Third Book of Pantagruel in the Introduction?
7. To whom is Pantagruel compared in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten? What office is offered him and why does he refuse it?
8. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
9. Where is Pantagruel sent in Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What are his impressions of study?
10. What land does Pantagruel subdue in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One? Who does he give Salmaguni to?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)