|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pantagruel cover his men with from the rain in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-two?
(a) His tongue.
(b) His ear.
(c) His foot.
(d) His hair.
2. What does Pantagruel intend to have a look at with his friend in Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven?
(a) The walls of Paris.
(b) Dipsodes' camp.
(d) La Follie-Gobelin.
3. What is the name of Pantagruel's mother?
4. What does Gargantua accidentally swallow the six pilgrims with in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
5. What does Pantagruel suggest he and Panurge consult to determine whether Panurge should marry in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twelve?
(a) The works of Virgil.
(b) The works of Homer.
(c) The works of Aristotle.
(d) The works of Socrates.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what king does Pantagruel send the prisoner in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
2. Who kills many of the enemy when he sees them stealing the grapes that the monastery uses for an entire year of wine in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-five?
3. Of whom is it written, "if ever there was such a one in Paris, a felon, a cheat, a tippler, a loafer, a scrounger, but that apart, the nicest young lad in the world"?
4. In Pantagruel: Prologue, the author compared the novel to what literary genre?
5. Who does Braggart kill for accusing him of corruption in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-five?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
2. What does the Introduction of Pantagruel reveal about the style and time period of the piece?
3. What is the subject of Gargantua: Chapters One through Five? What is suggested by Gargamelle's pregnancy?
4. What does Panurge ask Pantagruel's advice about in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? What discussion follows?
5. What do the inhabitants of Ruach ingest? What conversation does Pantagruel have with their king?
6. Who discusses the Decretals with Pantagruel? What is related of them?
7. What does Pantagruel speak of in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Forty-three and Forty-four?
8. What do Pantagruel and his men see on the Isle of Frieze-cloth? What do they attain in Lanternland?
9. What does King Picrochole do for revenge in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
10. Where does Pantagruel travel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Seven through Ten?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)