|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gargantua accidentally swallow the six pilgrims with in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
2. For how long is Gargantua's mother pregnant with Gargantua?
(a) One hundred weeks.
(b) Eleven months.
(c) Seventy days.
(d) Two years.
3. What does the name Pantagruel mean?
(a) All love.
(b) Cruel leader.
(c) All thirst.
(d) Giant man.
4. What is the name of Pantagruel's mother?
5. How many men in copper spheres are sent into Pantagruel's stomach to dislodge a mountain of ordure in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-three?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose reputation grows after winning the dispute against the Englishman in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
2. Who does Pantagruel assign the castellany of Salmagundi in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
3. Who among Pantagruel's men has his neck slit in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
4. What leader does Pantagruel challenge to single combat in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
5. Who consults Seraphin Calobarsy to set Gargantua on a better path in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-one?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
2. Who does Gargantua accidentally swallow in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
3. Where is Pantagruel sent in Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What are his impressions of study?
4. Describe Pantagruel's birth. Why did his father give him the name Pantagruel?
5. What does Panurge ask Pantagruel's advice about in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? What discussion follows?
6. What does King Picrochole do for revenge in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
7. What does Pantagruel think of Panurge at the onset of their friendship? How does the narrator describe Panurge in Pantagruel: Chapter Twelve?
8. Who does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine? How is this character described?
9. What is the response of the Amaurots to King Anarch's defeat?
10. Who does Panurge attempt to seduce in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen? What is his response?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)