|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what king does Pantagruel send the prisoner in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
(a) King Fasil.
(b) King Blaine.
(c) King Bodum.
(d) King Anarch.
2. Who consults Seraphin Calobarsy to set Gargantua on a better path in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-one?
3. What does Gargantua's father ask him to do by letter in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-six?
(a) Go to London.
(b) Go to Paris.
(c) Come home.
(d) Go to church.
4. Whose reputation grows after winning the dispute against the Englishman in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
(b) Frere Jean's.
5. What English scholar comes to visit Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen?
(b) Prince Charles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pantagruel send Carpalim in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
2. In Pantagruel: Prologue, the author compared the novel to what literary genre?
3. Who claims "those who are not very bright could never spend so much in so short a time" in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
4. What does Pantagruel intend to have a look at with his friend in Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven?
5. What is the name of Pantagruel's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen? What does the king do?
2. When does Gargantua leave Paris? Where does he go?
3. What argument do Panurge and Pantagruel have about money in the Third Book of Pantagruel?
4. When was Gargantua written? What does To Readers suggest about the text?
5. To whom is Pantagruel compared in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten? What office is offered him and why does he refuse it?
6. Where is Pantagruel sent in Pantagruel: Chapter Five? What are his impressions of study?
7. How is Gargantua's childhood described in Gargantua: Chapter Ten?
8. What did Rabelais write in his "Pantagrueline Prognostication for 1533"? What did he assure the reader?
9. Who comes to test Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen? What happens?
10. What is the subject of Gargantua: Chapters One through Five? What is suggested by Gargamelle's pregnancy?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)