|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which island in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Ten proves to be full of infertile soil?
(a) The Island of Ironmongery.
(b) The Island of Ruach.
(c) The Island of Cheating.
(d) La Dive Bouteille.
2. Who does Panurge describe at Panzoust who foretells all things to come in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifteen?
(a) King Anarch.
(d) The Sybil.
3. The hermit who greets Pantagruel's ships in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One subjects the men to what before admitting them to the island?
(a) Two fasts.
(b) Four fasts.
(c) Feats of strength.
4. Fourth Book of Pantagruel: The Royal Privilege gives the right to reprint the story to whom?
(a) King Henry of France.
(b) Queen Elizabeth.
(c) Queen Quintessence.
(d) King Henry of England.
5. The inhabitants of where drink to the health of Pantagruel in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One?
6. Who tells Pantagruel and his men how miracles are produced by the Decretals in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Fifty-one through Fifty-three?
(b) King Anarch.
7. Who does Pantagruel have read to the men on his ship from the books Gargantua sent while they are at sea in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Four?
(c) King Anarch.
8. What is the name of the hermit who greets Pantagruel's ships in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One?
(d) Messer Gaster.
9. Pantagruel attends a hearing judged by whom in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirty-eight?
10. In Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-eight, Gargantua wishes who will marry but not without his parents' consent?
11. What is abstracted from France by the virtue of the Decretals?
12. What does Pantagruel interpret Panurge's dream to mean in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
(a) He will have ten children.
(b) His wife will be ugly.
(c) He will be happily married.
(d) He will be cuckolded and beaten.
13. Panurge begs who to sell him a sheep in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Six and Seven?
14. Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Prologue of the Author advises the reader to do what?
(a) Stand up against oppression.
(b) Humble himself before God.
(c) Turn from God.
(d) Look to the humanists.
15. Pantagruel purchases a series of tapestries depicting the life and deeds of whom in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
Short Answer Questions
1. What comedy of cruelty does Panurge describe in Pantagruel: Chapters Thirteen through Sixteen?
2. What does Pantagruel cast on deck but not allow his men to preserve in Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifty-five?
3. In Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters Fifty-nine and Sixty tell of how the Gastrolaters worship Gaster as their what?
4. With whom does Panurge share a discussion about a monastical cabbala concerning salted beef in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifteen?
5. After a journey of how many days does Panurge reach Panzoust in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Seventeen?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)