|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-one, le Comte Spandassaino and Captain Squirt use what to convince Picrochole to attack the cities and fortresses of Utopia?
2. Who orders his men to march against the shepherds of Utopia in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-four?
(c) King Picrochole the Third.
(d) Magister Janotus de Bragmardo.
3. Where do six pilgrims returning from Saint Sebastian's hide in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
(a) A forest.
(b) A garden.
(c) A meadow.
(d) A lakeshore.
4. Who claims "those who are not very bright could never spend so much in so short a time" in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
(c) Frere Jean.
5. What does the name Pantagruel mean?
(a) Giant man.
(b) Cruel leader.
(c) All love.
(d) All thirst.
6. Who insists in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five that though lending and borrowing is sometimes necessary, it should be used sparingly?
7. What does Pantagruel receive instead of the office in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
8. What occupation does Seraphin Calobarsy hold?
9. Who does Panurge dress as a crier of green sauce in order to settle him into a trade in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
(b) King Anarch.
10. How many men in copper spheres are sent into Pantagruel's stomach to dislodge a mountain of ordure in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-three?
11. Whose reputation grows after winning the dispute against the Englishman in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
(a) Frere Jean's.
12. Pantagruel: Introduction explains that this is the first edition of "Pantagruel" which was dated when?
(a) 1531 or 1532.
(b) 1522 or 1523.
(c) 1515 or 1516.
(d) 1513 or 1514.
13. Pantagruel refuses the offer given to him in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten because he believes such offices are like what?
(d) Too high above him.
14. Who does Panurge talk of having escaped because they wanted to roast him alive in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
(a) The Russians.
(b) The English.
(c) The Turks.
(d) The Italians.
15. Who among Pantagruel's men has his neck slit in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
(b) Loup Garou.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pantagruel suggest he and Panurge consult to determine whether Panurge should marry in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twelve?
2. Where is Pantagruel sent to study in Pantagruel: Chapter 5?
3. What does Gargantua's mother eat a lot of during her pregnancy in Gargantua: Chapter Four?
4. Who kills many of the enemy when he sees them stealing the grapes that the monastery uses for an entire year of wine in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-five?
5. Gargantua's countrymen get into a dispute with the bakers of where in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)