|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who claims "those who are not very bright could never spend so much in so short a time" in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
(a) Frere Jean.
2. What does Gargantua attempt to devote himself to in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty?
3. What is the name of Pantagruel's mother?
4. Pantagruel refuses the offer given to him in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten because he believes such offices are like what?
(c) Too high above him.
5. How many men in copper spheres are sent into Pantagruel's stomach to dislodge a mountain of ordure in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-three?
6. To what king does Pantagruel send the prisoner in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
(a) King Bodum.
(b) King Fasil.
(c) King Blaine.
(d) King Anarch.
7. Who does King Picrochole send to patrol in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-one?
(b) Comte de Rushin.
8. What position is offered to Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
(a) Receiver of Petitions and President of Court.
(b) President of Petitions.
(c) Receiver of Petitions.
(d) President of Court.
9. What English scholar comes to visit Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Prince Charles.
10. Of whom is it written, "if ever there was such a one in Paris, a felon, a cheat, a tippler, a loafer, a scrounger, but that apart, the nicest young lad in the world"?
11. What plagues Africa during Pantagruel's birth?
(b) A drought.
(c) Bubonic plague.
12. Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that the humanist type of this book was published in what year?
13. What gives permission to the king to print and sell Rabelais' book as written in Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction?
(a) The King's Power.
(b) The King's Privilege.
(c) The Royal Prerogative.
(d) The King's Greed.
14. Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that the humanist type of this book was published by whom?
(a) King Anarch.
(b) Chretien Wechel of Paris.
(d) Frere Jean.
15. What is the name of the satirical poem in Gargantua: Chapter Two?
(a) "Healthful Drink."
(b) "Antidoted Bubbles."
(c) "Poison Foam."
(d) "Dangerous Brew."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the midwife administer to Gargantua's mother when she goes into labor?
2. With whose wisdom is Pantagruel's compared in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
3. Where does Pantagruel stroll toward to seek recreation from his studies in Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven?
4. What does the name Pantagruel mean?
5. Gargantua: Introduction informs that this is the first known edition of "Gargantua" and was written early in what year?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)