|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pantagruel refuses the offer given to him in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten because he believes such offices are like what?
(a) Too high above him.
2. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
(a) A special book.
(b) A concoction.
(c) An olive branch.
(d) A peace flower.
3. Who kills many of the enemy when he sees them stealing the grapes that the monastery uses for an entire year of wine in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-five?
(b) Magister Janotus de Bragmardo.
(c) Frere Jean des Entommeures.
4. What does Gargantua's father exclaim upon Gargantua's birth?
5. Who addresses Gargantua to explain the importance of the bells in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen?
(a) Magister Janotus de Bragmardo.
(c) Magister Virgil.
6. What is the name of Gargantua's mother?
7. What does Pantagruel cover his men with from the rain in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-two?
(a) His hair.
(b) His ear.
(c) His tongue.
(d) His foot.
8. To what king does Pantagruel send the prisoner in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
(a) King Blaine.
(b) King Anarch.
(c) King Fasil.
(d) King Bodum.
9. Who claims "those who are not very bright could never spend so much in so short a time" in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
(a) Frere Jean.
10. What does Grandgousier give to each pilgrim for their journey in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-three?
(a) A horse.
(b) A sword.
(d) Ten gold coins.
11. Who consults Seraphin Calobarsy to set Gargantua on a better path in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-one?
12. In Pantagruel: Prologue, the author compared the novel to what literary genre?
(a) Medieval romances.
(b) Medieval war tales.
(d) Medieval fairy tales.
13. What does one of the pilgrims' staff hit, causing Gargantua to spit them out in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
(a) A cavity.
(b) His stomach lining.
(c) His throat.
(d) His bowels.
14. What does Panurge cease to wear in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Seven?
(a) His helmet.
(b) His crown.
(c) His codpiece.
(d) His armor.
15. What does the name Pantagruel mean?
(a) Cruel leader.
(b) Giant man.
(c) All thirst.
(d) All love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Braggart kill for accusing him of corruption in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-five?
2. In Gargantua: Chapter One, the author writes that Gargantua's lineage was uncovered in a meadow near what?
3. Pantagruel: Dixain was written by whom?
4. Who summons the inhabitants of the city to set fire to the Dipsodes' camp in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
5. How many generations of Pantagruel's genealogy are described in Pantagruel: Chapter One?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)