|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gargantua attempt to devote himself to in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty?
2. What does Grandgousier give to each pilgrim for their journey in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-three?
(a) Ten gold coins.
(b) A horse.
(d) A sword.
3. Who asks why many men avoid monks in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-eight?
(d) King Anarch.
4. Pantagruel refuses the offer given to him in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten because he believes such offices are like what?
(c) Too high above him.
5. What is the name of Pantagruel's father?
6. Where do six pilgrims returning from Saint Sebastian's hide in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
(a) A meadow.
(b) A garden.
(c) A forest.
(d) A lakeshore.
7. To what king does Pantagruel send the prisoner in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
(a) King Blaine.
(b) King Anarch.
(c) King Bodum.
(d) King Fasil.
8. In Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-two, the people of Dipsodes surrender to Pantagruel, except for whom?
(b) King Anarch.
9. What occupation does Seraphin Calobarsy hold?
10. Who becomes stuck in a tree as he encourages the men to have courage in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
(b) King Picrochole the Third.
(c) Frere Jean.
11. What does Pantagruel's father compose for Pantagruel's mother after his birth?
(a) A symphony.
(b) A note of appreciation.
(c) A poem.
(d) An epitaph.
12. Pantagruel: Dixain was written by whom?
(a) Francois Rabelais.
(c) Maitre Hughes Salel.
13. What does Pantagruel suggest he and Panurge consult to determine whether Panurge should marry in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twelve?
(a) The works of Homer.
(b) The works of Aristotle.
(c) The works of Socrates.
(d) The works of Virgil.
14. In Pantagruel: Prologue, the author compared the novel to what literary genre?
(a) Medieval romances.
(b) Medieval fairy tales.
(d) Medieval war tales.
15. Gargantua: Introduction informs that this is the first known edition of "Gargantua" and was written early in what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men in copper spheres are sent into Pantagruel's stomach to dislodge a mountain of ordure in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-three?
2. Who does Grandgousier summon in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-seven?
3. Gargantua's countrymen get into a dispute with the bakers of where in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three?
4. Who does Gargantua take as prisoner in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-two?
5. Who claims "those who are not very bright could never spend so much in so short a time" in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)