|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pantagruel suggest he and Panurge consult to determine whether Panurge should marry in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twelve?
(a) The works of Virgil.
(b) The works of Aristotle.
(c) The works of Socrates.
(d) The works of Homer.
2. What does Pantagruel receive instead of the office in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
3. Who becomes stuck in a tree as he encourages the men to have courage in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
(a) King Picrochole the Third.
(c) Frere Jean.
4. In Pantagruel: Prologue, the author compared the novel to what literary genre?
(b) Medieval romances.
(c) Medieval fairy tales.
(d) Medieval war tales.
5. What is the name of Pantagruel's father?
6. Panurge suggests making the decision of whether or not to marry in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven by doing what?
(a) Reading Virgil.
(b) Throwing dice.
(c) Talking to a fortune teller.
(d) Using cards.
7. Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that the humanist type of this book was published by whom?
(b) Frere Jean.
(c) Chretien Wechel of Paris.
(d) King Anarch.
8. Who orders his men to march against the shepherds of Utopia in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-four?
(b) Magister Janotus de Bragmardo.
(c) King Picrochole the Third.
9. Where do six pilgrims returning from Saint Sebastian's hide in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
(a) A forest.
(b) A meadow.
(c) A lakeshore.
(d) A garden.
10. Gargantua's countrymen get into a dispute with the bakers of where in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three?
(b) The Isle of Ennasin.
11. What colors are the livery Gargantua's father orders for Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Seven?
(a) Blue and orange.
(b) Blue and white.
(c) Green and gold.
(d) Black and tan.
12. What does Panurge cease to wear in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Seven?
(a) His crown.
(b) His armor.
(c) His helmet.
(d) His codpiece.
13. How many generations of Pantagruel's genealogy are described in Pantagruel: Chapter One?
14. Who summons the inhabitants of the city to set fire to the Dipsodes' camp in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
(a) Loup Garou.
(b) King Anarch.
15. Pantagruel refuses the offer given to him in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten because he believes such offices are like what?
(a) Too high above him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Gargantua's father?
2. Whose reputation grows after winning the dispute against the Englishman in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
3. Who asks why many men avoid monks in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-eight?
4. What is the name of the satirical poem in Gargantua: Chapter Two?
5. What does Gargantua accidentally swallow the six pilgrims with in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)