|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose defeat does Carpalim announce to the city in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
(a) King Anarch's.
2. Where is Pantagruel sent to study in Pantagruel: Chapter 5?
3. What does Gargantua attempt to devote himself to in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty?
4. What plagues Africa during Pantagruel's birth?
(a) Bubonic plague.
(b) A drought.
5. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
(a) An olive branch.
(b) A special book.
(c) A concoction.
(d) A peace flower.
6. What does Panurge cease to wear in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Seven?
(a) His crown.
(b) His codpiece.
(c) His armor.
(d) His helmet.
7. Who does Panurge dress as a crier of green sauce in order to settle him into a trade in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
(a) King Anarch.
8. What does one of the pilgrims' staff hit, causing Gargantua to spit them out in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
(a) His throat.
(b) A cavity.
(c) His bowels.
(d) His stomach lining.
9. How many generations of Pantagruel's genealogy are described in Pantagruel: Chapter One?
10. Whose reputation grows after winning the dispute against the Englishman in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
(b) Frere Jean's.
11. What does Pantagruel intend to have a look at with his friend in Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven?
(a) The walls of Paris.
(b) La Follie-Gobelin.
(c) Dipsodes' camp.
12. Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that the humanist type of this book was published in what year?
13. Gargantua: Introduction informs that this is the first known edition of "Gargantua" and was written early in what year?
14. Who does Grandgousier summon in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-seven?
(a) Frere Jean.
(b) Jean Audeau.
15. It is written in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-two that Gargantua spent rainy days attending what?
(a) Public lectures.
(b) Art museums.
(d) The theatre.
Short Answer Questions
1. What leader does Pantagruel challenge to single combat in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
2. For how long is Gargantua's mother pregnant with Gargantua?
3. What does the name Pantagruel mean?
4. Who does Pantagruel learn have laid waste to Utopia in Pantagruel: Chapter Fifteen?
5. Who consults Seraphin Calobarsy to set Gargantua on a better path in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-one?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)