|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What colors are the livery Gargantua's father orders for Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Seven?
(a) Blue and white.
(b) Blue and orange.
(c) Green and gold.
(d) Black and tan.
2. What is the name of Pantagruel's mother?
3. Who consults Seraphin Calobarsy to set Gargantua on a better path in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-one?
4. How many novels are contained in the collection "Gargantua and Pantagruel" by Francois Rabelais?
5. Pantagruel: Introduction explains that this is the first edition of "Pantagruel" which was dated when?
(a) 1522 or 1523.
(b) 1513 or 1514.
(c) 1515 or 1516.
(d) 1531 or 1532.
6. What does Pantagruel's father compose for Pantagruel's mother after his birth?
(a) A poem.
(b) A symphony.
(c) An epitaph.
(d) A note of appreciation.
7. What man with a Germanic tongue does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine?
8. What position is offered to Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
(a) Receiver of Petitions and President of Court.
(b) President of Petitions.
(c) Receiver of Petitions.
(d) President of Court.
9. Who asks why many men avoid monks in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-eight?
(d) King Anarch.
10. For how long is Gargantua's mother pregnant with Gargantua?
(a) Eleven months.
(b) Two years.
(c) One hundred weeks.
(d) Seventy days.
11. What does Grandgousier give to each pilgrim for their journey in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-three?
(a) Ten gold coins.
(b) A horse.
(c) A sword.
12. In Pantagruel: Prologue, the author compared the novel to what literary genre?
(a) Medieval fairy tales.
(c) Medieval war tales.
(d) Medieval romances.
13. Who becomes stuck in a tree as he encourages the men to have courage in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
(a) King Picrochole the Third.
(d) Frere Jean.
14. Pantagruel advises Panurge to foretell whether he will have a good or bad marriage from what in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen?
(a) An encyclopedia.
(b) The clouds.
(c) The works of Homer.
(d) His dreams.
15. What does the name Pantagruel mean?
(a) All thirst.
(b) Giant man.
(c) All love.
(d) Cruel leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Braggart kill for accusing him of corruption in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-five?
2. What does Panurge cease to wear in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Seven?
3. Who does King Picrochole send to patrol in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-one?
4. Who claims "those who are not very bright could never spend so much in so short a time" in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
5. Where do six pilgrims returning from Saint Sebastian's hide in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)