|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gargantua's countrymen get into a dispute with the bakers of where in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-three?
(b) The Isle of Ennasin.
2. It is written in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-two that Gargantua spent rainy days attending what?
(b) The theatre.
(c) Art museums.
(d) Public lectures.
3. How many novels are contained in the collection "Gargantua and Pantagruel" by Francois Rabelais?
4. What does the name Pantagruel mean?
(a) Cruel leader.
(b) All thirst.
(c) Giant man.
(d) All love.
5. What colors are the livery Gargantua's father orders for Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Seven?
(a) Blue and white.
(b) Green and gold.
(c) Black and tan.
(d) Blue and orange.
6. Who does Gargantua take as prisoner in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-two?
(b) Comte de Rushin.
7. Who claims that many monks are lazy in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-eight?
(b) Frere Jean.
(c) King Picrochole the Third.
8. Who insists in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five that there would be harmony in a world where all men are both debtors and borrowers?
(a) King Anarch.
(b) Jean Audeau.
9. Who summons the inhabitants of the city to set fire to the Dipsodes' camp in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
(a) Loup Garou.
(c) King Anarch.
10. Where does Pantagruel's army march to take the entire kingdom by force in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
(d) The Isle of Ennasin.
11. Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that the humanist type of this book was published by whom?
(a) Frere Jean.
(c) King Anarch.
(d) Chretien Wechel of Paris.
12. What does the midwife administer to Gargantua's mother when she goes into labor?
(a) A constrictive.
(b) A poison.
(d) A pain killer.
13. What does Pantagruel intend to have a look at with his friend in Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven?
(b) Dipsodes' camp.
(c) La Follie-Gobelin.
(d) The walls of Paris.
14. Of whom is it written, "if ever there was such a one in Paris, a felon, a cheat, a tippler, a loafer, a scrounger, but that apart, the nicest young lad in the world"?
15. Who orders his men to march against the shepherds of Utopia in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-four?
(a) King Picrochole the Third.
(d) Magister Janotus de Bragmardo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gargantua's mother eat a lot of during her pregnancy in Gargantua: Chapter Four?
2. Pantagruel: Introduction explains that this is the first edition of "Pantagruel" which was dated when?
3. Pantagruel: Dixain was written by whom?
4. What plagues Africa during Pantagruel's birth?
5. What does Gargantua's father ask him to do by letter in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-six?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)