|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long is Gargantua's mother pregnant with Gargantua?
(a) Seventy days.
(b) One hundred weeks.
(c) Eleven months.
(d) Two years.
2. What is the name of the satirical poem in Gargantua: Chapter Two?
(a) "Antidoted Bubbles."
(b) "Dangerous Brew."
(c) "Poison Foam."
(d) "Healthful Drink."
3. Who does King Picrochole send to patrol in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-one?
(a) Comte de Rushin.
4. What does Panurge cease to wear in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Seven?
(a) His codpiece.
(b) His crown.
(c) His helmet.
(d) His armor.
5. To what king does Pantagruel send the prisoner in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
(a) King Bodum.
(b) King Fasil.
(c) King Anarch.
(d) King Blaine.
6. What is the name of Gargantua's mother?
7. Who summons the inhabitants of the city to set fire to the Dipsodes' camp in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
(a) King Anarch.
(c) Loup Garou.
8. In Pantagruel: Prologue, the author compared the novel to what literary genre?
(a) Medieval fairy tales.
(b) Medieval war tales.
(d) Medieval romances.
9. Where does Pantagruel send Carpalim in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
10. Who does Panurge dress as a crier of green sauce in order to settle him into a trade in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
(a) King Anarch.
11. What occupation does Seraphin Calobarsy hold?
12. In Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-two, the people of Dipsodes surrender to Pantagruel, except for whom?
(b) King Anarch.
13. Who insists in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five that though lending and borrowing is sometimes necessary, it should be used sparingly?
14. Pantagruel: Introduction explains that this is the first edition of "Pantagruel" which was dated when?
(a) 1513 or 1514.
(b) 1522 or 1523.
(c) 1531 or 1532.
(d) 1515 or 1516.
15. Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that the humanist type of this book was published in what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who addresses Gargantua to explain the importance of the bells in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen?
2. Who does Grandgousier summon in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-seven?
3. What does Gargantua's father ask him to do by letter in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-six?
4. Pantagruel refuses the offer given to him in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten because he believes such offices are like what?
5. What colors are the livery Gargantua's father orders for Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Seven?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)