|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
(a) A special book.
(b) A concoction.
(c) A peace flower.
(d) An olive branch.
2. In Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-one, le Comte Spandassaino and Captain Squirt use what to convince Picrochole to attack the cities and fortresses of Utopia?
3. Who asks why many men avoid monks in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-eight?
(b) King Anarch.
4. Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that the humanist type of this book was published in what year?
5. What English scholar comes to visit Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen?
(b) Prince Charles.
6. What position is offered to Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
(a) Receiver of Petitions and President of Court.
(b) President of Petitions.
(c) President of Court.
(d) Receiver of Petitions.
7. In Pantagruel: Prologue, the author compared the novel to what literary genre?
(a) Medieval romances.
(c) Medieval war tales.
(d) Medieval fairy tales.
8. What is the name of Pantagruel's father?
9. What does Pantagruel cover his men with from the rain in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-two?
(a) His hair.
(b) His ear.
(c) His tongue.
(d) His foot.
10. Pantagruel: Introduction explains that this is the first edition of "Pantagruel" which was dated when?
(a) 1513 or 1514.
(b) 1515 or 1516.
(c) 1531 or 1532.
(d) 1522 or 1523.
11. Pantagruel refuses the offer given to him in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten because he believes such offices are like what?
(d) Too high above him.
12. What is the name of the abbey built by Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifty?
(a) Abbey or the King.
(b) Abbey of the Ottomans.
(c) Abbey of the Turks.
(d) Abbey of the Thelemites.
13. With whose wisdom is Pantagruel's compared in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
14. What does Gargantua's father exclaim upon Gargantua's birth?
15. What position does Ulrich Gallet hold in Gargantua?
(b) Prime Minister.
(c) Master of Petitions.
(d) Merchant of the year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do six pilgrims returning from Saint Sebastian's hide in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
2. What does Gargantua's mother eat a lot of during her pregnancy in Gargantua: Chapter Four?
3. For how long is Gargantua's mother pregnant with Gargantua?
4. Pantagruel advises Panurge to foretell whether he will have a good or bad marriage from what in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen?
5. How many novels are contained in the collection "Gargantua and Pantagruel" by Francois Rabelais?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)