|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Pantagruel: Prologue, the author compared the novel to what literary genre?
(a) Medieval fairy tales.
(b) Medieval war tales.
(c) Medieval romances.
2. What position does Ulrich Gallet hold in Gargantua?
(a) Merchant of the year.
(b) Master of Petitions.
(c) Prime Minister.
3. With whose wisdom is Pantagruel's compared in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
4. What does Panurge cease to wear in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Seven?
(a) His helmet.
(b) His crown.
(c) His armor.
(d) His codpiece.
5. Who becomes stuck in a tree as he encourages the men to have courage in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
(c) King Picrochole the Third.
(d) Frere Jean.
6. Gargantua: Introduction informs that this is the first known edition of "Gargantua" and was written early in what year?
7. What does Gargantua's father exclaim upon Gargantua's birth?
8. Pantagruel: Dixain was written by whom?
(b) Francois Rabelais.
(c) Maitre Hughes Salel.
9. What plagues Africa during Pantagruel's birth?
(a) A drought.
(d) Bubonic plague.
10. What is the name of the abbey built by Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifty?
(a) Abbey of the Turks.
(b) Abbey of the Thelemites.
(c) Abbey or the King.
(d) Abbey of the Ottomans.
11. In Gargantua: Chapter One, the author writes that Gargantua's lineage was uncovered in a meadow near what?
12. Who does Panurge talk of having escaped because they wanted to roast him alive in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
(a) The Italians.
(b) The Turks.
(c) The Russians.
(d) The English.
13. What does Gargantua's father ask him to do by letter in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-six?
(a) Go to church.
(b) Go to Paris.
(c) Come home.
(d) Go to London.
14. Where do six pilgrims returning from Saint Sebastian's hide in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
(a) A meadow.
(b) A garden.
(c) A forest.
(d) A lakeshore.
15. What is the name of Pantagruel's mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. It is written in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-two that Gargantua spent rainy days attending what?
2. Where is Pantagruel sent to study in Pantagruel: Chapter 5?
3. Who asks why many men avoid monks in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-eight?
4. What does the midwife administer to Gargantua's mother when she goes into labor?
5. Who summons the inhabitants of the city to set fire to the Dipsodes' camp in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)