|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What land does Pantagruel subdue in the beginning of Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One?
(b) The islands of Tohu and Bohu.
2. Of whom is it written, "if ever there was such a one in Paris, a felon, a cheat, a tippler, a loafer, a scrounger, but that apart, the nicest young lad in the world"?
3. What does Panurge cease to wear in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Seven?
(a) His codpiece.
(b) His helmet.
(c) His crown.
(d) His armor.
4. What is the name of the abbey built by Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Fifty?
(a) Abbey or the King.
(b) Abbey of the Turks.
(c) Abbey of the Ottomans.
(d) Abbey of the Thelemites.
5. What is the name of Gargantua's father?
(d) Magister Janotus de Bragmardo.
6. What does the name Pantagruel mean?
(a) Giant man.
(b) All thirst.
(c) All love.
(d) Cruel leader.
7. What leader does Pantagruel challenge to single combat in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
(b) King Anarch.
(d) Loup Garou.
8. Where does Pantagruel send Carpalim in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
9. In Pantagruel: Prologue, the author compared the novel to what literary genre?
(a) Medieval romances.
(b) Medieval war tales.
(d) Medieval fairy tales.
10. Who does Pantagruel learn have laid waste to Utopia in Pantagruel: Chapter Fifteen?
(a) The Dipsodes.
(b) The Turks.
(c) The Amazons.
(d) The English.
11. What is the name of Gargantua's mother?
12. What colors are the livery Gargantua's father orders for Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Seven?
(a) Black and tan.
(b) Blue and white.
(c) Green and gold.
(d) Blue and orange.
13. Where is Pantagruel sent to study in Pantagruel: Chapter 5?
14. Who summons the inhabitants of the city to set fire to the Dipsodes' camp in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
(a) King Anarch.
(c) Loup Garou.
15. Who addresses Gargantua to explain the importance of the bells in Gargantua: Chapter Eighteen?
(a) Magister Virgil.
(b) Magister Janotus de Bragmardo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pantagruel send the prisoner with to the king in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
2. What does Gargantua accidentally swallow the six pilgrims with in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
3. What position is offered to Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
4. Gargantua: Introduction informs that this is the first known edition of "Gargantua" and was written early in what year?
5. Who brings an action against the Sorbonnists in court in Gargantua: Chapter Nineteen?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)