|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Pantagruel's army march to take the entire kingdom by force in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
(a) The Isle of Ennasin.
2. What does Pantagruel cover his men with from the rain in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-two?
(a) His ear.
(b) His hair.
(c) His tongue.
(d) His foot.
3. What does Grandgousier give to each pilgrim for their journey in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-three?
(a) Ten gold coins.
(b) A horse.
(c) A sword.
4. Who does Panurge talk of having escaped because they wanted to roast him alive in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
(a) The English.
(b) The Italians.
(c) The Russians.
(d) The Turks.
5. Who does Pantagruel learn have laid waste to Utopia in Pantagruel: Chapter Fifteen?
(a) The Amazons.
(b) The Turks.
(c) The English.
(d) The Dipsodes.
6. Who consults Seraphin Calobarsy to set Gargantua on a better path in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-one?
7. What does Gargantua attempt to devote himself to in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty?
8. What does Gargantua's mother eat a lot of during her pregnancy in Gargantua: Chapter Four?
(b) Hog jowels.
9. What is the name of Gargantua's father?
(b) Magister Janotus de Bragmardo.
10. What does Gargantua accidentally swallow the six pilgrims with in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
11. What man with a Germanic tongue does Pantagruel meet in Pantagruel: Chapter Nine?
12. What gives permission to the king to print and sell Rabelais' book as written in Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction?
(a) The King's Greed.
(b) The King's Privilege.
(c) The King's Power.
(d) The Royal Prerogative.
13. Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that the humanist type of this book was published by whom?
(a) King Anarch.
(b) Frere Jean.
(c) Chretien Wechel of Paris.
14. What does one of the pilgrims' staff hit, causing Gargantua to spit them out in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
(a) A cavity.
(b) His stomach lining.
(c) His bowels.
(d) His throat.
15. What English scholar comes to visit Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Prince Charles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Grandgousier summon in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-seven?
2. What colors are the livery Gargantua's father orders for Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Seven?
3. What does Pantagruel intend to have a look at with his friend in Pantagruel: Chapter Eleven?
4. Who kills many of the enemy when he sees them stealing the grapes that the monastery uses for an entire year of wine in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-five?
5. How many knights approach Pantagruel's vessel in Pantagruel: Chapter Sixteen?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)