|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-two, the people of Dipsodes surrender to Pantagruel, except for whom?
(a) King Anarch.
2. With whose wisdom is Pantagruel's compared in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
3. In Gargantua: Chapter One, the author writes that Gargantua's lineage was uncovered in a meadow near what?
4. What does one of the pilgrims' staff hit, causing Gargantua to spit them out in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-six?
(a) His bowels.
(b) His throat.
(c) A cavity.
(d) His stomach lining.
5. Who becomes stuck in a tree as he encourages the men to have courage in Gargantua: Chapter Forty?
(a) King Picrochole the Third.
(c) Frere Jean.
6. Who insists in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five that though lending and borrowing is sometimes necessary, it should be used sparingly?
7. Who does Gargantua take as prisoner in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-two?
(a) Comte de Rushin.
8. What does Panurge cease to wear in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Seven?
(a) His helmet.
(b) His codpiece.
(c) His armor.
(d) His crown.
9. Who does Braggart kill for accusing him of corruption in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-five?
(d) King Anarch.
10. Whose reputation grows after winning the dispute against the Englishman in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
(d) Frere Jean's.
11. Who orders his men to march against the shepherds of Utopia in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-four?
(c) Magister Janotus de Bragmardo.
(d) King Picrochole the Third.
12. What is the name of Gargantua's mother?
13. Whose defeat does Carpalim announce to the city in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
(d) King Anarch's.
14. Who insists in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five that there would be harmony in a world where all men are both debtors and borrowers?
(b) King Anarch.
(d) Jean Audeau.
15. How many men in copper spheres are sent into Pantagruel's stomach to dislodge a mountain of ordure in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-three?
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives permission to the king to print and sell Rabelais' book as written in Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction?
2. Who does Panurge dress as a crier of green sauce in order to settle him into a trade in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
3. What does the midwife administer to Gargantua's mother when she goes into labor?
4. Pantagruel advises Panurge to foretell whether he will have a good or bad marriage from what in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen?
5. For how long is Gargantua's mother pregnant with Gargantua?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)