|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose reputation grows after winning the dispute against the Englishman in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
(b) Frere Jean's.
2. Who insists in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five that though lending and borrowing is sometimes necessary, it should be used sparingly?
3. What is the name of the satirical poem in Gargantua: Chapter Two?
(a) "Dangerous Brew."
(b) "Healthful Drink."
(c) "Poison Foam."
(d) "Antidoted Bubbles."
4. What does Gargantua's mother eat a lot of during her pregnancy in Gargantua: Chapter Four?
(a) Hog jowels.
5. Pantagruel refuses the offer given to him in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten because he believes such offices are like what?
(b) Too high above him.
6. What does Pantagruel's father compose for Pantagruel's mother after his birth?
(a) A symphony.
(b) A poem.
(c) A note of appreciation.
(d) An epitaph.
7. What does Pantagruel suggest he and Panurge consult to determine whether Panurge should marry in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Twelve?
(a) The works of Virgil.
(b) The works of Homer.
(c) The works of Aristotle.
(d) The works of Socrates.
8. In Gargantua: Chapter One, the author writes that Gargantua's lineage was uncovered in a meadow near what?
9. In Pantagruel: Prologue, the author compared the novel to what literary genre?
(b) Medieval war tales.
(c) Medieval romances.
(d) Medieval fairy tales.
10. Who does Pantagruel assign the castellany of Salmagundi in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Two?
(a) Frere Jean.
11. Gargantua: Introduction informs that this is the first known edition of "Gargantua" and was written early in what year?
12. For how long is Gargantua's mother pregnant with Gargantua?
(a) Two years.
(b) Eleven months.
(c) Seventy days.
(d) One hundred weeks.
13. To what king does Pantagruel send the prisoner in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
(a) King Anarch.
(b) King Blaine.
(c) King Bodum.
(d) King Fasil.
14. What English scholar comes to visit Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Prince Charles.
15. Who brings an action against the Sorbonnists in court in Gargantua: Chapter Nineteen?
(a) King Anarch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims that many monks are lazy in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-eight?
2. What leader does Pantagruel challenge to single combat in Pantagruel: Chapter Nineteen?
3. Who orders his men to march against the shepherds of Utopia in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-four?
4. What is the name of Pantagruel's mother?
5. What does the name Pantagruel mean?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)