|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Braggart kill for accusing him of corruption in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-five?
(d) King Anarch.
2. What does Pantagruel cover his men with from the rain in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-two?
(a) His tongue.
(b) His foot.
(c) His ear.
(d) His hair.
3. Gargantua: Introduction informs that this is the first known edition of "Gargantua" and was written early in what year?
4. Third Book of Pantagruel: Introduction states that the humanist type of this book was published by whom?
(b) Frere Jean.
(c) King Anarch.
(d) Chretien Wechel of Paris.
5. Who insists in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Five that though lending and borrowing is sometimes necessary, it should be used sparingly?
6. In Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-two, the people of Dipsodes surrender to Pantagruel, except for whom?
(a) King Anarch.
7. What is the name of Pantagruel's father?
8. In Gargantua: Chapter One, the author writes that Gargantua's lineage was uncovered in a meadow near what?
9. What does Pantagruel's father compose for Pantagruel's mother after his birth?
(a) A poem.
(b) A note of appreciation.
(c) An epitaph.
(d) A symphony.
10. For how long is Gargantua's mother pregnant with Gargantua?
(a) Seventy days.
(b) One hundred weeks.
(c) Two years.
(d) Eleven months.
11. What is the name of Gargantua's mother?
12. Who does King Picrochole send to patrol in Gargantua: Chapter Forty-one?
(a) Comte de Rushin.
13. What occupation does Seraphin Calobarsy hold?
14. Who asks why many men avoid monks in Gargantua: Chapter Thirty-eight?
(c) King Anarch.
15. Who orders his men to march against the shepherds of Utopia in Gargantua: Chapter Twenty-four?
(a) Magister Janotus de Bragmardo.
(c) King Picrochole the Third.
Short Answer Questions
1. What colors are the livery Gargantua's father orders for Gargantua in Gargantua: Chapter Seven?
2. In Pantagruel: Prologue, the author compared the novel to what literary genre?
3. Who summons the inhabitants of the city to set fire to the Dipsodes' camp in Pantagruel: Chapter Eighteen?
4. What position is offered to Pantagruel in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten?
5. Who brings an action against the Sorbonnists in court in Gargantua: Chapter Nineteen?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)