|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapters 26-47, Epigram and 3 Appendixes (p. 960-1041).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fourth Book of Pantagruel: Prologue of the Author advises the reader to do what?
(a) Look to the humanists.
(b) Humble himself before God.
(c) Turn from God.
(d) Stand up against oppression.
2. The hermit who greets Pantagruel's ships in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter One subjects the men to what before admitting them to the island?
(a) Four fasts.
(b) Two fasts.
(d) Feats of strength.
3. With whom does Panurge share a discussion about a monastical cabbala concerning salted beef in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fifteen?
(a) Frere Jean.
(c) King Anarch.
4. What did the wife in Panurge's dream put on his head in Third Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
(a) A hat.
(c) A crown.
(d) A bag.
5. What does the name Pantagruel mean?
(a) Cruel leader.
(b) Giant man.
(c) All love.
(d) All thirst.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the water in the fountain taste like in the Temple in Fifth Book of Pantagruel: Chapter Forty-one?
2. Who does Panurge dress as a crier of green sauce in order to settle him into a trade in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
3. Whose defeat does Carpalim announce to the city in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
4. What is abstracted from France by the virtue of the Decretals?
5. What is the name of Gargantua's mother?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)