|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Gargantua: Introduction, To Readers, Prologue of the Author and Chapters 1-17 (p. 195-261).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Gargantua's father?
(a) Magister Janotus de Bragmardo.
2. What does the name Pantagruel mean?
(a) Cruel leader.
(b) Giant man.
(c) All thirst.
(d) All love.
3. Pantagruel refuses the offer given to him in Pantagruel: Chapter Ten because he believes such offices are like what?
(c) Too high above him.
4. What is the name of the satirical poem in Gargantua: Chapter Two?
(a) "Healthful Drink."
(b) "Dangerous Brew."
(c) "Antidoted Bubbles."
(d) "Poison Foam."
5. Of whom is it written, "if ever there was such a one in Paris, a felon, a cheat, a tippler, a loafer, a scrounger, but that apart, the nicest young lad in the world"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Pantagruel sent to study in Pantagruel: Chapter 5?
2. Whose reputation grows after winning the dispute against the Englishman in Pantagruel: Chapter Fourteen?
3. In Pantagruel: Prologue, the author compared the novel to what literary genre?
4. Who does Panurge dress as a crier of green sauce in order to settle him into a trade in Pantagruel: Chapter Twenty-one?
5. For how long is Gargantua's mother pregnant with Gargantua?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)