|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Olivia say to Malcolm following his attack on Alicia?
2. Who provided loving support to Corinne?
3. What did Malcolm call Alicia while he had his way with her?
4. What discussion did Olivia have with Mal and Joel?
5. With relief and gratitude, Olivia surrendered her will to ____?
Short Essay Questions
1. The two boys had to learn to live with what and why?
2. How did Alicia react to Garland's death?
3. How did Alicia end up passing the time?
4. What was so special to Olivia about Corinne?
5. How did Olivia regain her dignity after Malcolm's betrayal?
6. How was Christopher very diplomatic and fair?
7. What had provided the reason for Olivia to search out Christopher?
8. What had Malcolm been doing to Alicia?
9. After her initial grief over the loss of Mal and Joel, how did Corinne react to the family's continued pallor?
10. What had Malcolm already discussed with Mal and Joel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, contrast is utilized to provide clarity to situations and characters. Find three examples of this and illustrate the contrast between them.
Essay Topic 2
When Malcolm finds God, his relationship with Olivia changes dramatically for the better. Suggest reasons for this transformation. What might Malcolm have found in the Bible to change his mind regarding his relationship with his wife?
Essay Topic 3
Both Mal and Joel died due to fact that they hadn't listened to their father. Prove or disprove this statement and discuss how the story might have been altered if they had both been allowed to live.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)