|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Olivia determined to do?
2. From what was Alicia suffering?
3. What did Olivia suggest to Alicia so she wouldn't have to look at herself?
4. When was the baby due?
5. Who was the most affected by Mal's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Malcolm already discussed with Mal and Joel?
2. After her initial grief over the loss of Mal and Joel, how did Corinne react to the family's continued pallor?
3. Why did Olivia initially deny Alicia the Victrola or radio?
4. For what reasons had Olivia suspected that John Amos was jealous of Christopher?
5. What had provided the reason for Olivia to search out Christopher?
6. How had Olivia reacted coldly to Alicia?
7. Why didn't Olivia immediately begin crying when she finished reading the telegram proclaiming Joel's death?
8. What had Mal done against his father's wishes, and why did this please Olivia?
9. Why was Corinne baffled and confused following Mal's death?
10. How was Christopher very diplomatic and fair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Mal and Joel died due to fact that they hadn't listened to their father. Prove or disprove this statement and discuss how the story might have been altered if they had both been allowed to live.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Alicia's progression from innocence to experience throughout her stay at Foxworth Hall. How did she end up reacting to the cold and unforgiving nature of Olivia, and how might this be utilized as a metaphor for the real world?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the governess to young Corinne as a form of early education. What are the purposes of such practices? What difference do they make to the upbringing of a child? Suggest reasons for this.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)