|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mal love?
2. What didn't Olivia know how to do with the children?
3. What did Mal realize?
4. Why is Malcolm to transfer a million dollars into trust for each of the boys?
5. What didn't the guests see in Corinne?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had Olivia reacted coldly to Alicia?
2. How did Alicia react to Garland's death?
3. What was the ultimatum that Malcolm gave to Alicia?
4. What scared Olivia when she had returned to her room?
5. The two boys had to learn to live with what and why?
6. After her initial grief over the loss of Mal and Joel, how did Corinne react to the family's continued pallor?
7. What did Alicia insist that Olivia do?
8. What was so special to Olivia about Corinne?
9. What had provided the reason for Olivia to search out Christopher?
10. For what reasons had Olivia suspected that John Amos was jealous of Christopher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the deaths of Mal and Joel. What possible reasons might the author have had for killing them both off? How did their deaths affect the final outcome of the story, if at all?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the general theme of the story. What morals may be gleaned if the reader looks closely? Discuss how the theme and morality of this book intertwine.
Essay Topic 3
As Olivia's hope to be loved by Malcolm fades to oblivion, she turns further and further away from him and more and more draws towards God. Illustrate this gradual shift in her personality and emotional well being. Explain how she changes, and what best illustrates these changes.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)