|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Malcolm forbidden Mal to have?
2. What does Olivia have of John Amos'?
3. Where had Christopher been accepted?
4. Why didn't Malcolm care how Olivia raised her sons?
5. Why didn't Alicia tell Olivia sooner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was so special to Olivia about Corinne?
2. How had Garland treated Malcolm when he was a child?
3. What had Mal done against his father's wishes, and why did this please Olivia?
4. Why did Olivia initially deny Alicia the Victrola or radio?
5. What did Alicia insist that Olivia do?
6. The two boys had to learn to live with what and why?
7. Why was Corinne baffled and confused following Mal's death?
8. Why didn't Olivia immediately begin crying when she finished reading the telegram proclaiming Joel's death?
9. What had provided the reason for Olivia to search out Christopher?
10. For what reasons had Olivia suspected that John Amos was jealous of Christopher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Amos is used to illustrate religion, and to bring both Olivia and Malcolm to God. Discuss John's role in the story. How might it have progressed without the centralized religious themes?
Essay Topic 2
Although Malcolm knows that he is playing favorites by spoiling Corinne and not his boys, he refuses to treat the three children equally. What reasons might he have for this behavior, and what motivates it? How does his behavior influence Corinne?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Garland's relationship with Alicia. Would such a relationship be approved of in today's socially elite? Why or why not? What stigmatization is made against older men and women who marry someone far younger?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)