|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport had Christopher engaged in at Yale?
2. Which person was at Corinne's beck and call?
3. How did it make Olivia feel to decide Alicia's fate for her?
4. What did Malcolm name his daughter?
5. Why did Alicia finally choose to tell Olivia what was happening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had provided the reason for Olivia to search out Christopher?
2. What was so special to Olivia about Corinne?
3. Why had Alicia hoped that Malcolm would help Christopher?
4. The two boys had to learn to live with what and why?
5. How did Alicia react to Garland's death?
6. After her initial grief over the loss of Mal and Joel, how did Corinne react to the family's continued pallor?
7. How did Olivia regain her dignity after Malcolm's betrayal?
8. How had Olivia reacted coldly to Alicia?
9. Why did Olivia initially deny Alicia the Victrola or radio?
10. How was little Corinne the light of Foxworth Hall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the governess to young Corinne as a form of early education. What are the purposes of such practices? What difference do they make to the upbringing of a child? Suggest reasons for this.
Essay Topic 2
Although Olivia and Malcolm both continued to mourn the loss of Mal and Joel, Corinne wished to get on with her life and continue living and go back to being happy. Discuss the difference in behavior between the three people regarding the death of Mal and Joel and illustrate how each dealt with the passing.
Essay Topic 3
As Olivia's hope to be loved by Malcolm fades to oblivion, she turns further and further away from him and more and more draws towards God. Illustrate this gradual shift in her personality and emotional well being. Explain how she changes, and what best illustrates these changes.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)