|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Alicia finally choose to tell Olivia what was happening?
2. What drink did Malcolm serve at Corrine`s birth?
3. What did Malcolm narrowly miss doing to Mal?
4. Why didn't Malcolm care how Olivia raised her sons?
5. What does Christopher wish of Olivia?
Short Essay Questions
1. The two boys had to learn to live with what and why?
2. Why had Alicia hoped that Malcolm would help Christopher?
3. In what way did Malcolm's opinion of John Amos solidify Olivia's desire to keep him around?
4. What scared Olivia when she had returned to her room?
5. How had Olivia reacted coldly to Alicia?
6. How had Garland treated Malcolm when he was a child?
7. What had Malcolm already discussed with Mal and Joel?
8. For what reasons had Olivia suspected that John Amos was jealous of Christopher?
9. How was little Corinne the light of Foxworth Hall?
10. What had Malcolm been doing to Alicia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, contrast is utilized to provide clarity to situations and characters. Find three examples of this and illustrate the contrast between them.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Alicia's progression from innocence to experience throughout her stay at Foxworth Hall. How did she end up reacting to the cold and unforgiving nature of Olivia, and how might this be utilized as a metaphor for the real world?
Essay Topic 3
Although Malcolm knows that he is playing favorites by spoiling Corinne and not his boys, he refuses to treat the three children equally. What reasons might he have for this behavior, and what motivates it? How does his behavior influence Corinne?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)