|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Malcolm care how Olivia raised her sons?
2. What did Olivia say to Malcolm following his attack on Alicia?
3. How do the servants distinguish between the two Mrs. Foxworths?
4. What was Olivia determined to do?
5. What had Malcolm attempted to do to Alicia?
Short Essay Questions
1. At first, what other things did Alicia ask?
2. What had provided the reason for Olivia to search out Christopher?
3. Why was Corinne baffled and confused following Mal's death?
4. What had Malcolm been doing to Alicia?
5. The two boys had to learn to live with what and why?
6. After her initial grief over the loss of Mal and Joel, how did Corinne react to the family's continued pallor?
7. Why had Alicia hoped that Malcolm would help Christopher?
8. How did Alicia end up passing the time?
9. What scared Olivia when she had returned to her room?
10. What had Mal done against his father's wishes, and why did this please Olivia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the general theme of the story. What morals may be gleaned if the reader looks closely? Discuss how the theme and morality of this book intertwine.
Essay Topic 2
When Malcolm finds God, his relationship with Olivia changes dramatically for the better. Suggest reasons for this transformation. What might Malcolm have found in the Bible to change his mind regarding his relationship with his wife?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the deaths of Mal and Joel. What possible reasons might the author have had for killing them both off? How did their deaths affect the final outcome of the story, if at all?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)