|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Malcolm narrowly miss doing to Mal?
2. What sport had Christopher engaged in at Yale?
3. What had Malcolm forbidden Mal to have?
4. From whom did Malcolm receive a letter?
5. How did it make Olivia feel to decide Alicia's fate for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Alicia end up passing the time?
2. What was so special to Olivia about Corinne?
3. What had Mal done against his father's wishes, and why did this please Olivia?
4. Why did Olivia initially deny Alicia the Victrola or radio?
5. The two boys had to learn to live with what and why?
6. What was the ultimatum that Malcolm gave to Alicia?
7. What scared Olivia when she had returned to her room?
8. How was Christopher very diplomatic and fair?
9. How did Alicia react to Garland's death?
10. After her initial grief over the loss of Mal and Joel, how did Corinne react to the family's continued pallor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Mal and Joel died due to fact that they hadn't listened to their father. Prove or disprove this statement and discuss how the story might have been altered if they had both been allowed to live.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Garland's relationship with Alicia. Would such a relationship be approved of in today's socially elite? Why or why not? What stigmatization is made against older men and women who marry someone far younger?
Essay Topic 3
Malcolm makes every effort to ensure that Corinne never goes without, yet ignores both of his sons. Discuss why this might be. How does Malcolm view Corinne? In what way does he make allowances for her that he didn't make for Mal and Joel? How does she repay this favoritism?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)