|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink did Malcolm serve at Corrine`s birth?
2. What did Mrs. Stratton say the confusion was regarding?
3. What would Olivia do in the nursery?
4. What was Olivia determined to do?
5. What did Alicia ask?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Alicia react to Garland's death?
2. At first, what other things did Alicia ask?
3. What had provided the reason for Olivia to search out Christopher?
4. What scared Olivia when she had returned to her room?
5. After her initial grief over the loss of Mal and Joel, how did Corinne react to the family's continued pallor?
6. How had Olivia reacted coldly to Alicia?
7. What was the ultimatum that Malcolm gave to Alicia?
8. Why did Olivia initially deny Alicia the Victrola or radio?
9. How did Olivia regain her dignity after Malcolm's betrayal?
10. What had Mal done against his father's wishes, and why did this please Olivia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Malcolm doesn't love Olivia, he marries her. Discuss what may have caused Malcolm to seek out a woman to marry whom he would never love? What are some logical reasons for such behavior?
Essay Topic 2
As Olivia's hope to be loved by Malcolm fades to oblivion, she turns further and further away from him and more and more draws towards God. Illustrate this gradual shift in her personality and emotional well being. Explain how she changes, and what best illustrates these changes.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the deaths of Mal and Joel. What possible reasons might the author have had for killing them both off? How did their deaths affect the final outcome of the story, if at all?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)