|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mal love?
2. What did Malcolm call Alicia while he had his way with her?
3. What was the last thing Olivia ordered Malcolm to do?
4. Which person was at Corinne's beck and call?
5. What revived Malcolm's interest and left him looking excited and almost breathless?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was little Corinne the light of Foxworth Hall?
2. What did Alicia insist that Olivia do?
3. For what reasons had Olivia suspected that John Amos was jealous of Christopher?
4. What was the ultimatum that Malcolm gave to Alicia?
5. What had Mal done against his father's wishes, and why did this please Olivia?
6. What had provided the reason for Olivia to search out Christopher?
7. Why had Alicia hoped that Malcolm would help Christopher?
8. After her initial grief over the loss of Mal and Joel, how did Corinne react to the family's continued pallor?
9. What had Malcolm already discussed with Mal and Joel?
10. How did Alicia react to Garland's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, contrast is utilized to provide clarity to situations and characters. Find three examples of this and illustrate the contrast between them.
Essay Topic 2
Although Malcolm doesn't love Olivia, he marries her. Discuss what may have caused Malcolm to seek out a woman to marry whom he would never love? What are some logical reasons for such behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Garland's relationship with Alicia. Would such a relationship be approved of in today's socially elite? Why or why not? What stigmatization is made against older men and women who marry someone far younger?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)