|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Malcolm compared Olivia's raising of her sons to what?
2. What did Alicia ask?
3. What did Malcolm narrowly miss doing to Mal?
4. What didn't Christopher understand when he arrived at Foxworth?
5. Why did Malcolm leave Alicia alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Malcolm been doing to Alicia?
2. The two boys had to learn to live with what and why?
3. What scared Olivia when she had returned to her room?
4. What was so special to Olivia about Corinne?
5. How did Olivia regain her dignity after Malcolm's betrayal?
6. In what way did Malcolm's opinion of John Amos solidify Olivia's desire to keep him around?
7. How did Alicia react to Garland's death?
8. How had Garland treated Malcolm when he was a child?
9. Why was Corinne baffled and confused following Mal's death?
10. How was little Corinne the light of Foxworth Hall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Mal and Joel died due to fact that they hadn't listened to their father. Prove or disprove this statement and discuss how the story might have been altered if they had both been allowed to live.
Essay Topic 2
John Amos is used to illustrate religion, and to bring both Olivia and Malcolm to God. Discuss John's role in the story. How might it have progressed without the centralized religious themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the general theme of the story. What morals may be gleaned if the reader looks closely? Discuss how the theme and morality of this book intertwine.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)