|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Alicia finally choose to tell Olivia what was happening?
2. What didn't Olivia know how to do with the children?
3. What did John Amos say that Olivia had invited into her home?
4. What did Olivia suggest to Alicia so she wouldn't have to look at herself?
5. What did Corinne look like in the red velvet dress Malcolm had bought her?
Short Essay Questions
1. The two boys had to learn to live with what and why?
2. What did Alicia insist that Olivia do?
3. What scared Olivia when she had returned to her room?
4. How was Christopher very diplomatic and fair?
5. What had Mal done against his father's wishes, and why did this please Olivia?
6. How had Garland treated Malcolm when he was a child?
7. How had Olivia reacted coldly to Alicia?
8. How did Alicia react to Garland's death?
9. What had Malcolm been doing to Alicia?
10. How was little Corinne the light of Foxworth Hall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Olivia's pleasure in pulling the strings when she sends Alicia away to give birth. What about this suggests that Olivia has issues with her ego? Explain Olivia's psychological temperament that inspires her to derive pleasure at denying pleasure to others.
Essay Topic 2
Although Malcolm knows that he is playing favorites by spoiling Corinne and not his boys, he refuses to treat the three children equally. What reasons might he have for this behavior, and what motivates it? How does his behavior influence Corinne?
Essay Topic 3
Both Christopher and Corinne are utilized to bring light into Foxworth Hall. What in their personalities could be suggested as 'light' and how would that be spread? Suggest reasons why other characters aren't utilized to shed light and warmth throughout the story.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)