|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Corinne looked more and more like ____ everyday.
2. What did Malcolm call Alicia while he had his way with her?
3. At what point did Alicia look at Olivia hatefully for the first time?
4. What does Christopher wish of Olivia?
5. What did Malcolm narrowly miss doing to Mal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had Olivia reacted coldly to Alicia?
2. How had Garland treated Malcolm when he was a child?
3. Why had Alicia hoped that Malcolm would help Christopher?
4. How was Christopher very diplomatic and fair?
5. What was the ultimatum that Malcolm gave to Alicia?
6. At first, what other things did Alicia ask?
7. Why did Olivia initially deny Alicia the Victrola or radio?
8. What had Malcolm already discussed with Mal and Joel?
9. What was so special to Olivia about Corinne?
10. What had Malcolm been doing to Alicia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, contrast is utilized to provide clarity to situations and characters. Find three examples of this and illustrate the contrast between them.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Alicia's progression from innocence to experience throughout her stay at Foxworth Hall. How did she end up reacting to the cold and unforgiving nature of Olivia, and how might this be utilized as a metaphor for the real world?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the general theme of the story. What morals may be gleaned if the reader looks closely? Discuss how the theme and morality of this book intertwine.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)