|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Garland's cause of death?
2. With relief and gratitude, Olivia surrendered her will to ____?
3. What little happiness did Olivia give to Alicia?
4. What did Olivia say to Malcolm following his attack on Alicia?
5. What little bit of revenge did Olivia get in regards to Malcolm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Mal done against his father's wishes, and why did this please Olivia?
2. In what way did Malcolm's opinion of John Amos solidify Olivia's desire to keep him around?
3. Why did Olivia initially deny Alicia the Victrola or radio?
4. The two boys had to learn to live with what and why?
5. What had provided the reason for Olivia to search out Christopher?
6. What had Malcolm been doing to Alicia?
7. For what reasons had Olivia suspected that John Amos was jealous of Christopher?
8. Why didn't Olivia immediately begin crying when she finished reading the telegram proclaiming Joel's death?
9. What did Alicia insist that Olivia do?
10. How did Alicia react to Garland's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Malcolm doesn't love Olivia, he marries her. Discuss what may have caused Malcolm to seek out a woman to marry whom he would never love? What are some logical reasons for such behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the governess to young Corinne as a form of early education. What are the purposes of such practices? What difference do they make to the upbringing of a child? Suggest reasons for this.
Essay Topic 3
Although Malcolm knows that he is playing favorites by spoiling Corinne and not his boys, he refuses to treat the three children equally. What reasons might he have for this behavior, and what motivates it? How does his behavior influence Corinne?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)