|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name(s) was etched on the desks?
2. Where will Malcolm's father be sleeping?
3. The women at the party reminded Olivia of what?
4. For what or whomwas Malcolm always there?
5. What did Olivia sense when Malcolm talked about Foxworth Hall and his ambitions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comparisons do the household staff make in regards to Olivia and Alicia?
2. What memory did Olivia have that made her feel claustrophobic?
3. How does Malcolm feel about marriage?
4. In what way did Malcolm come on to Alicia?
5. Why did Olivia's father encourage her to go to business school?
6. How did the guests make Olivia feel at her reception?
7. What had Malcolm's mother done and what explanation did he offer for her behavior?
8. How did Olivia feel when she had awakened?
9. What both intrigued and dismayed Olivia about the library?
10. How did Olivia's nervousness affect her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Olivia is very opinionated about women's rights, and why women are where they are. Discuss the feminist movement and what changes it brought about for the world. Has society fully accepted women as equal to men? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
John Amos is used to illustrate religion, and to bring both Olivia and Malcolm to God. Discuss John's role in the story. How might it have progressed without the centralized religious themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the high society people who attend Malcolm's parties. How do they treat Olivia? Suggest reasons for this treatment. How does this same society react to Corinne?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)