|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What terrified Olivia?
2. What did Olivia believe in more than anything?
3. What did Olivia's father choose to have served on special occasions?
4. What had Olivia waited to have for so long?
5. How much money did Malcolm make in the stock market that day?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way would Olivia become strictly an instrument of God?
2. How did Alicia end up passing the time?
3. Why did Malcolm want to know about Corinne and Christopher eventually?
4. What did Alicia insist that Olivia do?
5. What did Malcolm do that upset and embarrassed Olivia?
6. After her initial grief over the loss of Mal and Joel, how did Corinne react to the family's continued pallor?
7. How was Christopher very diplomatic and fair?
8. Why didn't Olivia immediately begin crying when she finished reading the telegram proclaiming Joel's death?
9. How did the guests make Olivia feel at her reception?
10. What was so special to Olivia about Corinne?
Essay Topic 1
Malcolm makes every effort to ensure that Corinne never goes without, yet ignores both of his sons. Discuss why this might be. How does Malcolm view Corinne? In what way does he make allowances for her that he didn't make for Mal and Joel? How does she repay this favoritism?
Essay Topic 2
As Olivia's hope to be loved by Malcolm fades to oblivion, she turns further and further away from him and more and more draws towards God. Illustrate this gradual shift in her personality and emotional well being. Explain how she changes, and what best illustrates these changes.
Essay Topic 3
When Malcolm finds God, his relationship with Olivia changes dramatically for the better. Suggest reasons for this transformation. What might Malcolm have found in the Bible to change his mind regarding his relationship with his wife?
This section contains 1,609 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)