|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the servants had known Malcolm all his life?
2. What had Alicia done without Olivia?
3. What seemed to be happening to Garland?
4. What objections does Olivia put in about Garland's age?
5. What was unusual about the picture of Malcolm's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Olivia feel about meeting Malcolm and how did she feel once she had met him?
2. What lived in the shadows of Malcolm Foxworth? How did this news affect Olivia?
3. There are several rooms mentioned as Olivia is escorted through Foxworth Hall for the first time. What is significant about them?
4. Why hadn't Malcolm taken a wife?
5. In what way did Malcolm acknowledge Olivia's desire to be loved?
6. How did Garland speak of Malcolm in reference to his childhood?
7. Why did Olivia's father encourage her to go to business school?
8. What comparisons do the household staff make in regards to Olivia and Alicia?
9. How did Mal's birth revive Olivia's hopes for love? What actually occurred?
10. How did Olivia feel about the uniforms that she had found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Mal and Joel died due to fact that they hadn't listened to their father. Prove or disprove this statement and discuss how the story might have been altered if they had both been allowed to live.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the deaths of Mal and Joel. What possible reasons might the author have had for killing them both off? How did their deaths affect the final outcome of the story, if at all?
Essay Topic 3
When Malcolm finds God, his relationship with Olivia changes dramatically for the better. Suggest reasons for this transformation. What might Malcolm have found in the Bible to change his mind regarding his relationship with his wife?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)