Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the servants had known Malcolm all his life?
2. What did attics represent to Olivia?
3. What did Olivia and Malcolm name their firstborn son?
4. Which of Olivia's thoughts in regards to the North Wing were proved correct?
5. What did Olivia think that she might gain out of Garland's new wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scared Olivia when she had returned to her room?
2. What did Olivia have to fight Malcolm over?
3. What startled Olivia about the kiss she shared with Malcolm at the end of their wedding?
4. Why was Corinne baffled and confused following Mal's death?
5. What was the ultimatum that Malcolm gave to Alicia?
6. What began happening to Alicia and Garland?
7. How did Garland speak of Malcolm in reference to his childhood?
8. Why didn't Olivia allow Christopher and Cathy to share a bed?
9. How was little Corinne the light of Foxworth Hall?
10. Why did Olivia initially deny Alicia the Victrola or radio?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the governess to young Corinne as a form of early education. What are the purposes of such practices? What difference do they make to the upbringing of a child? Suggest reasons for this.
Essay Topic 2
Although Malcolm knows that he is playing favorites by spoiling Corinne and not his boys, he refuses to treat the three children equally. What reasons might he have for this behavior, and what motivates it? How does his behavior influence Corinne?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, contrast is utilized to provide clarity to situations and characters. Find three examples of this and illustrate the contrast between them.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)