|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What objections does Olivia put in about Garland's age?
2. What did Olivia sense when Malcolm talked about Foxworth Hall and his ambitions?
3. What food is mentioned in Chapter Five?
4. What was Olivia not to discuss at the table?
5. What was unusual about the picture of Malcolm's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Garland and Alicia's love obvious?
2. What did Olivia have to fight Malcolm over?
3. What was important about the dress that Olivia selected to wear at her wedding?
4. What startled Olivia about the kiss she shared with Malcolm at the end of their wedding?
5. There are several rooms mentioned as Olivia is escorted through Foxworth Hall for the first time. What is significant about them?
6. In what way did Malcolm acknowledge Olivia's desire to be loved?
7. What both intrigued and dismayed Olivia about the library?
8. What had Olivia done for her wedding night, and what did she expect?
9. What had Olivia been certain about in regards to the attic?
10. What lived in the shadows of Malcolm Foxworth? How did this news affect Olivia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Olivia deal with Malcolm's betrayal when he impregnated Alicia? How had she found the perfect solution that would allow everyone to save face and yet allow herself to remain in complete control of everyone? What events precipitated these actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the deaths of Mal and Joel. What possible reasons might the author have had for killing them both off? How did their deaths affect the final outcome of the story, if at all?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, contrast is utilized to provide clarity to situations and characters. Find three examples of this and illustrate the contrast between them.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)