|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the servants had known Malcolm all his life?
2. What did attics represent to Olivia?
3. What did Olivia and Malcolm name their firstborn son?
4. Which of Olivia's thoughts in regards to the North Wing were proved correct?
5. What did Olivia think that she might gain out of Garland's new wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scared Olivia when she had returned to her room?
2. What did Olivia have to fight Malcolm over?
3. What startled Olivia about the kiss she shared with Malcolm at the end of their wedding?
4. Why was Corinne baffled and confused following Mal's death?
5. What was the ultimatum that Malcolm gave to Alicia?
6. What began happening to Alicia and Garland?
7. How did Garland speak of Malcolm in reference to his childhood?
8. Why didn't Olivia allow Christopher and Cathy to share a bed?
9. How was little Corinne the light of Foxworth Hall?
10. Why did Olivia initially deny Alicia the Victrola or radio?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Alicia's progression from innocence to experience throughout her stay at Foxworth Hall. How did she end up reacting to the cold and unforgiving nature of Olivia, and how might this be utilized as a metaphor for the real world?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the deaths of Mal and Joel. What possible reasons might the author have had for killing them both off? How did their deaths affect the final outcome of the story, if at all?
Essay Topic 3
John Amos is used to illustrate religion, and to bring both Olivia and Malcolm to God. Discuss John's role in the story. How might it have progressed without the centralized religious themes?
This section contains 1,564 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)