|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will Malcolm's father be sleeping?
2. What had Alicia done without Olivia?
3. What did Olivia represent?
4. Why wasn't Olivia sorry she couldn't bear Malcolm any more children?
5. What did Malcolm's mother represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way did Malcolm acknowledge Olivia's desire to be loved?
2. What were some of the major differences between Garland and Malcolm?
3. Why hadn't Malcolm taken a wife?
4. What began happening to Alicia and Garland?
5. There are several rooms mentioned as Olivia is escorted through Foxworth Hall for the first time. What is significant about them?
6. What did Olivia have to fight Malcolm over?
7. How was Garland and Alicia's love obvious?
8. What kinds of things did Olivia find in the attic?
9. How did Olivia feel about the uniforms that she had found?
10. Why did Olivia's father encourage her to go to business school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Malcolm's frugal nature. When was his frugality forgotten and for what purpose? Explain how his stingy nature everywhere else in his life led Malcolm to financial success, and how beautiful women could be considered as his financial downfall or his vice.
Essay Topic 2
When Malcolm finds God, his relationship with Olivia changes dramatically for the better. Suggest reasons for this transformation. What might Malcolm have found in the Bible to change his mind regarding his relationship with his wife?
Essay Topic 3
Both Mal and Joel died due to fact that they hadn't listened to their father. Prove or disprove this statement and discuss how the story might have been altered if they had both been allowed to live.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)