|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Olivia's father buy her when she was a little girl?
2. What do Malcolm's parties always reflect?
3. What objections does Olivia put in about Garland's age?
4. What news did Malcolm bring Olivia in the nursery?
5. How many phones were there on the desk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Olivia been certain about in regards to the attic?
2. How was Garland and Alicia's love obvious?
3. What was important about the dress that Olivia selected to wear at her wedding?
4. How did the guests make Olivia feel at her reception?
5. What had Olivia done for her wedding night, and what did she expect?
6. How did Olivia feel about the uniforms that she had found?
7. What memory did Olivia have that made her feel claustrophobic?
8. What kinds of things did Olivia find in the attic?
9. Why hadn't Malcolm taken a wife?
10. What began happening to Alicia and Garland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the high society people who attend Malcolm's parties. How do they treat Olivia? Suggest reasons for this treatment. How does this same society react to Corinne?
Essay Topic 2
Malcolm makes every effort to ensure that Corinne never goes without, yet ignores both of his sons. Discuss why this might be. How does Malcolm view Corinne? In what way does he make allowances for her that he didn't make for Mal and Joel? How does she repay this favoritism?
Essay Topic 3
As Olivia's hope to be loved by Malcolm fades to oblivion, she turns further and further away from him and more and more draws towards God. Illustrate this gradual shift in her personality and emotional well being. Explain how she changes, and what best illustrates these changes.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)