|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Olivia waited to have for so long?
2. What news did Malcolm bring Olivia in the nursery?
3. Malcolm didn't inform his father about what?
4. What did Malcolm attempt to get Olivia to do?
5. What was the name of the retired Sunday School teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Malcolm react to the news that Olivia couldn't have any more children after Joel?
2. What kinds of things did Olivia find in the attic?
3. What both intrigued and dismayed Olivia about the library?
4. How does Malcolm feel about marriage?
5. What was important about the dress that Olivia selected to wear at her wedding?
6. What news came by way of Malcolm to Olivia?
7. What did Olivia have to fight Malcolm over?
8. What had Olivia done for her wedding night, and what did she expect?
9. How did Olivia feel about meeting Malcolm and how did she feel once she had met him?
10. What did Malcolm do that upset and embarrassed Olivia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Amos is used to illustrate religion, and to bring both Olivia and Malcolm to God. Discuss John's role in the story. How might it have progressed without the centralized religious themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Garland's relationship with Alicia. Would such a relationship be approved of in today's socially elite? Why or why not? What stigmatization is made against older men and women who marry someone far younger?
Essay Topic 3
Although Malcolm knows that he is playing favorites by spoiling Corinne and not his boys, he refuses to treat the three children equally. What reasons might he have for this behavior, and what motivates it? How does his behavior influence Corinne?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)