|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day of the week do the servants go to town?
2. At what age did Malcolm lose his mother?
3. What did Malcolm say to Olivia when he came to her that night?
4. When was Malcolm to return that evening?
5. What objections does Olivia put in about Garland's age?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Olivia been certain about in regards to the attic?
2. Why hadn't Malcolm taken a wife?
3. How did Olivia feel about the uniforms that she had found?
4. How did Olivia feel when she had awakened?
5. What memory did Olivia have that made her feel claustrophobic?
6. How did Mal's birth revive Olivia's hopes for love? What actually occurred?
7. What had Olivia done for her wedding night, and what did she expect?
8. How did Garland speak of Malcolm in reference to his childhood?
9. How did Olivia's nervousness affect her?
10. How was Garland and Alicia's love obvious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Malcolm doesn't love Olivia, he marries her. Discuss what may have caused Malcolm to seek out a woman to marry whom he would never love? What are some logical reasons for such behavior?
Essay Topic 2
John Amos is used to illustrate religion, and to bring both Olivia and Malcolm to God. Discuss John's role in the story. How might it have progressed without the centralized religious themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Alicia's progression from innocence to experience throughout her stay at Foxworth Hall. How did she end up reacting to the cold and unforgiving nature of Olivia, and how might this be utilized as a metaphor for the real world?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)