|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom did Alicia remind Olivia?
2. Why did Olivia greet Malcolm warmly when he had approached her in the nursery?
3. What does Garland say was the reason Corinne left?
4. What did Olivia represent?
5. What specifically does Malcolm's father want as a priority for his room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Olivia been certain about in regards to the attic?
2. What both intrigued and dismayed Olivia about the library?
3. How did Malcolm react to the news that Olivia couldn't have any more children after Joel?
4. What did Malcolm do that upset and embarrassed Olivia?
5. How did Mal's birth revive Olivia's hopes for love? What actually occurred?
6. What had Malcolm's mother done and what explanation did he offer for her behavior?
7. How did Olivia feel about the uniforms that she had found?
8. How does Malcolm feel about marriage?
9. How did Garland speak of Malcolm in reference to his childhood?
10. In what way did Malcolm come on to Alicia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the deaths of Mal and Joel. What possible reasons might the author have had for killing them both off? How did their deaths affect the final outcome of the story, if at all?
Essay Topic 2
Both Mal and Joel died due to fact that they hadn't listened to their father. Prove or disprove this statement and discuss how the story might have been altered if they had both been allowed to live.
Essay Topic 3
Malcolm makes every effort to ensure that Corinne never goes without, yet ignores both of his sons. Discuss why this might be. How does Malcolm view Corinne? In what way does he make allowances for her that he didn't make for Mal and Joel? How does she repay this favoritism?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)