|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Patterson needed help with what?
2. What seemed to be happening to Garland?
3. How did Malcolm feel about musicians?
4. What did the women talk about?
5. What uniforms did Olivia find in the attic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why hadn't Malcolm taken a wife?
2. How does Malcolm feel about marriage?
3. What had Olivia been certain about in regards to the attic?
4. How did Malcolm react to the news that Olivia couldn't have any more children after Joel?
5. How did Garland speak of Malcolm in reference to his childhood?
6. How did Olivia's nervousness affect her?
7. What both intrigued and dismayed Olivia about the library?
8. What kinds of things did Olivia find in the attic?
9. In what way did Malcolm acknowledge Olivia's desire to be loved?
10. How did Olivia feel about meeting Malcolm and how did she feel once she had met him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Amos is used to illustrate religion, and to bring both Olivia and Malcolm to God. Discuss John's role in the story. How might it have progressed without the centralized religious themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the deaths of Mal and Joel. What possible reasons might the author have had for killing them both off? How did their deaths affect the final outcome of the story, if at all?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Olivia's pleasure in pulling the strings when she sends Alicia away to give birth. What about this suggests that Olivia has issues with her ego? Explain Olivia's psychological temperament that inspires her to derive pleasure at denying pleasure to others.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)