|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Olivia wear that had belonged to her mother?
2. Why wasn't Olivia sorry she couldn't bear Malcolm any more children?
3. What does Garland say was the reason Corinne left?
4. What news did Malcolm bring Olivia in the nursery?
5. What instrument were Mal and Joel playing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why hadn't Malcolm taken a wife?
2. How did Mal's birth revive Olivia's hopes for love? What actually occurred?
3. What did Malcolm do that upset and embarrassed Olivia?
4. What did Olivia have to fight Malcolm over?
5. In what way did Malcolm acknowledge Olivia's desire to be loved?
6. What was important about the dress that Olivia selected to wear at her wedding?
7. What memory did Olivia have that made her feel claustrophobic?
8. What had Malcolm's mother done and what explanation did he offer for her behavior?
9. What kinds of things did Olivia find in the attic?
10. What were some of the major differences between Garland and Malcolm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the deaths of Mal and Joel. What possible reasons might the author have had for killing them both off? How did their deaths affect the final outcome of the story, if at all?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Olivia's pleasure in pulling the strings when she sends Alicia away to give birth. What about this suggests that Olivia has issues with her ego? Explain Olivia's psychological temperament that inspires her to derive pleasure at denying pleasure to others.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the high society people who attend Malcolm's parties. How do they treat Olivia? Suggest reasons for this treatment. How does this same society react to Corinne?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)