|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Malcolm's father?
2. What did Olivia believe in more than anything?
3. What did Olivia's father choose to have served on special occasions?
4. What disappointed Olivia about Malcolm's kiss?
5. Why is Malcolm's father dependent on him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Olivia's father encourage her to go to business school?
2. What had Malcolm's mother done and what explanation did he offer for her behavior?
3. How did Mal's birth revive Olivia's hopes for love? What actually occurred?
4. In what way did Malcolm acknowledge Olivia's desire to be loved?
5. What had Olivia done for her wedding night, and what did she expect?
6. What did Malcolm do that upset and embarrassed Olivia?
7. How did Olivia feel about meeting Malcolm and how did she feel once she had met him?
8. There are several rooms mentioned as Olivia is escorted through Foxworth Hall for the first time. What is significant about them?
9. How did Malcolm react to the news that Olivia couldn't have any more children after Joel?
10. How did Garland speak of Malcolm in reference to his childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Olivia is very opinionated about women's rights, and why women are where they are. Discuss the feminist movement and what changes it brought about for the world. Has society fully accepted women as equal to men? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Both Mal and Joel died due to fact that they hadn't listened to their father. Prove or disprove this statement and discuss how the story might have been altered if they had both been allowed to live.
Essay Topic 3
Malcolm makes every effort to ensure that Corinne never goes without, yet ignores both of his sons. Discuss why this might be. How does Malcolm view Corinne? In what way does he make allowances for her that he didn't make for Mal and Joel? How does she repay this favoritism?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)