|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who learned more about Olivia than anyone else?
2. What is Malcolm's father's bride to Olivia?
3. How long has Mrs. Wilson been with the Foxworths?
4. What had Olivia's father done without her knowledge?
5. What thought infuriated Olivia?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way did Malcolm come on to Alicia?
2. How did Malcolm react to the news that Olivia couldn't have any more children after Joel?
3. What had Olivia been certain about in regards to the attic?
4. Why hadn't Malcolm taken a wife?
5. How did Mal's birth revive Olivia's hopes for love? What actually occurred?
6. How was Garland and Alicia's love obvious?
7. How did Olivia's nervousness affect her?
8. What was important about the dress that Olivia selected to wear at her wedding?
9. How did Garland speak of Malcolm in reference to his childhood?
10. How did Olivia feel about meeting Malcolm and how did she feel once she had met him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Olivia is very opinionated about women's rights, and why women are where they are. Discuss the feminist movement and what changes it brought about for the world. Has society fully accepted women as equal to men? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Both Mal and Joel died due to fact that they hadn't listened to their father. Prove or disprove this statement and discuss how the story might have been altered if they had both been allowed to live.
Essay Topic 3
Although Malcolm knows that he is playing favorites by spoiling Corinne and not his boys, he refuses to treat the three children equally. What reasons might he have for this behavior, and what motivates it? How does his behavior influence Corinne?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)