|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Olivia sense when Malcolm talked about Foxworth Hall and his ambitions?
2. What was the name of the retired Sunday School teacher?
3. How did Malcolm feel about musicians?
4. What did Malcolm's mother have all over the house?
5. What food is mentioned in Chapter Five?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had Olivia reacted coldly to Alicia?
2. What was important about the dress that Olivia selected to wear at her wedding?
3. In what way did Malcolm come on to Alicia?
4. Why didn't Olivia immediately begin crying when she finished reading the telegram proclaiming Joel's death?
5. What had Malcolm already discussed with Mal and Joel?
6. What scared Olivia when she had returned to her room?
7. What was the ultimatum that Malcolm gave to Alicia?
8. What comparisons do the household staff make in regards to Olivia and Alicia?
9. What did Alicia insist that Olivia do?
10. What both intrigued and dismayed Olivia about the library?
Essay Topic 1
Both Mal and Joel died due to fact that they hadn't listened to their father. Prove or disprove this statement and discuss how the story might have been altered if they had both been allowed to live.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the high society people who attend Malcolm's parties. How do they treat Olivia? Suggest reasons for this treatment. How does this same society react to Corinne?
Essay Topic 3
John Amos is used to illustrate religion, and to bring both Olivia and Malcolm to God. Discuss John's role in the story. How might it have progressed without the centralized religious themes?
This section contains 1,638 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)