|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was unusual about the picture of Malcolm's mother?
2. Why is Malcolm's father dependent on him?
3. What thought infuriated Olivia?
4. Why shouldn't Olivia feel subordinate to Malcolm's father's new wife?
5. At what age did Malcolm lose his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Olivia's father encourage her to go to business school?
2. How did Malcolm react to the news that Olivia couldn't have any more children after Joel?
3. What news came by way of Malcolm to Olivia?
4. What startled Olivia about the kiss she shared with Malcolm at the end of their wedding?
5. In what way did Malcolm come on to Alicia?
6. How did Olivia feel about the uniforms that she had found?
7. What did Malcolm do that upset and embarrassed Olivia?
8. How did the guests make Olivia feel at her reception?
9. How did Olivia's nervousness affect her?
10. What was important about the dress that Olivia selected to wear at her wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Amos is used to illustrate religion, and to bring both Olivia and Malcolm to God. Discuss John's role in the story. How might it have progressed without the centralized religious themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Malcolm's frugal nature. When was his frugality forgotten and for what purpose? Explain how his stingy nature everywhere else in his life led Malcolm to financial success, and how beautiful women could be considered as his financial downfall or his vice.
Essay Topic 3
Although Malcolm doesn't love Olivia, he marries her. Discuss what may have caused Malcolm to seek out a woman to marry whom he would never love? What are some logical reasons for such behavior?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)