|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the people at Olivia's reception make her feel?
2. What thought cheered Olivia when she had seen the small room where she was to work?
3. What did Malcolm attempt to get Olivia to do?
4. What message had been sent for Olivia?
5. When was Malcolm to return that evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way would Olivia become strictly an instrument of God?
2. In what way did Malcolm come on to Alicia?
3. In what way did Malcolm's opinion of John Amos solidify Olivia's desire to keep him around?
4. Why was Corinne baffled and confused following Mal's death?
5. What had Malcolm already discussed with Mal and Joel?
6. How was Christopher very diplomatic and fair?
7. Why did Olivia initially deny Alicia the Victrola or radio?
8. There are several rooms mentioned as Olivia is escorted through Foxworth Hall for the first time. What is significant about them?
9. How did Alicia end up passing the time?
10. What memory did Olivia have that made her feel claustrophobic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Malcolm's frugal nature. When was his frugality forgotten and for what purpose? Explain how his stingy nature everywhere else in his life led Malcolm to financial success, and how beautiful women could be considered as his financial downfall or his vice.
Essay Topic 2
Although Malcolm doesn't love Olivia, he marries her. Discuss what may have caused Malcolm to seek out a woman to marry whom he would never love? What are some logical reasons for such behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Both Mal and Joel died due to fact that they hadn't listened to their father. Prove or disprove this statement and discuss how the story might have been altered if they had both been allowed to live.
This section contains 1,679 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)