|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the retired Sunday School teacher?
2. What color were Malcolm's eyes?
3. When was Malcolm to return that evening?
4. What did Alicia name her son?
5. Why is Malcolm's father dependent on him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lived in the shadows of Malcolm Foxworth? How did this news affect Olivia?
2. How does Malcolm feel about marriage?
3. In what way did Malcolm come on to Alicia?
4. What had Malcolm's mother done and what explanation did he offer for her behavior?
5. What memory did Olivia have that made her feel claustrophobic?
6. What had Olivia done for her wedding night, and what did she expect?
7. How was Garland and Alicia's love obvious?
8. How did Malcolm react to the news that Olivia couldn't have any more children after Joel?
9. In what way did Malcolm acknowledge Olivia's desire to be loved?
10. How did Garland speak of Malcolm in reference to his childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Olivia is very opinionated about women's rights, and why women are where they are. Discuss the feminist movement and what changes it brought about for the world. Has society fully accepted women as equal to men? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the deaths of Mal and Joel. What possible reasons might the author have had for killing them both off? How did their deaths affect the final outcome of the story, if at all?
Essay Topic 3
Both Christopher and Corinne are utilized to bring light into Foxworth Hall. What in their personalities could be suggested as 'light' and how would that be spread? Suggest reasons why other characters aren't utilized to shed light and warmth throughout the story.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)