|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Malcolm didn't inform his father about what?
2. What food is mentioned in Chapter Five?
3. What food does Malcolm usually have on Wednesdays?
4. What terrified Olivia?
5. What had Olivia's father done without her knowledge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Olivia been certain about in regards to the attic?
2. What kinds of things did Olivia find in the attic?
3. How did Olivia feel about the uniforms that she had found?
4. What was important about the dress that Olivia selected to wear at her wedding?
5. What had Malcolm's mother done and what explanation did he offer for her behavior?
6. How did Garland speak of Malcolm in reference to his childhood?
7. What memory did Olivia have that made her feel claustrophobic?
8. What startled Olivia about the kiss she shared with Malcolm at the end of their wedding?
9. How did Mal's birth revive Olivia's hopes for love? What actually occurred?
10. What news came by way of Malcolm to Olivia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Alicia's progression from innocence to experience throughout her stay at Foxworth Hall. How did she end up reacting to the cold and unforgiving nature of Olivia, and how might this be utilized as a metaphor for the real world?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the general theme of the story. What morals may be gleaned if the reader looks closely? Discuss how the theme and morality of this book intertwine.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Olivia's pleasure in pulling the strings when she sends Alicia away to give birth. What about this suggests that Olivia has issues with her ego? Explain Olivia's psychological temperament that inspires her to derive pleasure at denying pleasure to others.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)