|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Malcolm to return that evening?
2. What was there in Garland's demeanor that there wasn't in Malcolm's?
3. What mountains were "looming like sleeping giants?"
4. What do Malcolm's parties always reflect?
5. What did doctors dub this neckline?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way did Malcolm acknowledge Olivia's desire to be loved?
2. What did Malcolm do that upset and embarrassed Olivia?
3. What kinds of things did Olivia find in the attic?
4. In what way did Malcolm come on to Alicia?
5. Why hadn't Malcolm taken a wife?
6. What both intrigued and dismayed Olivia about the library?
7. How did Olivia feel about meeting Malcolm and how did she feel once she had met him?
8. How did Olivia's nervousness affect her?
9. There are several rooms mentioned as Olivia is escorted through Foxworth Hall for the first time. What is significant about them?
10. How did Olivia feel when she had awakened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, contrast is utilized to provide clarity to situations and characters. Find three examples of this and illustrate the contrast between them.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the deaths of Mal and Joel. What possible reasons might the author have had for killing them both off? How did their deaths affect the final outcome of the story, if at all?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the general theme of the story. What morals may be gleaned if the reader looks closely? Discuss how the theme and morality of this book intertwine.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)