|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Malcolm's father?
2. How many tiers on the chandeliers were lit?
3. Who learned more about Olivia than anyone else?
4. How long has Mrs. Wilson been with the Foxworths?
5. What name(s) was etched on the desks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of things did Olivia find in the attic?
2. How did the guests make Olivia feel at her reception?
3. There are several rooms mentioned as Olivia is escorted through Foxworth Hall for the first time. What is significant about them?
4. What startled Olivia about the kiss she shared with Malcolm at the end of their wedding?
5. How did Olivia feel about the uniforms that she had found?
6. What news came by way of Malcolm to Olivia?
7. How does Malcolm feel about marriage?
8. How was Garland and Alicia's love obvious?
9. What did Malcolm do that upset and embarrassed Olivia?
10. What lived in the shadows of Malcolm Foxworth? How did this news affect Olivia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Malcolm doesn't love Olivia, he marries her. Discuss what may have caused Malcolm to seek out a woman to marry whom he would never love? What are some logical reasons for such behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Olivia is very opinionated about women's rights, and why women are where they are. Discuss the feminist movement and what changes it brought about for the world. Has society fully accepted women as equal to men? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the deaths of Mal and Joel. What possible reasons might the author have had for killing them both off? How did their deaths affect the final outcome of the story, if at all?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)