|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Olivia sense when Malcolm talked about Foxworth Hall and his ambitions?
(a) All of these.
(b) That she didn't mean anything to him.
(c) That nothing was more important to him.
(d) That nothing meant more to him.
2. Where did Malcolm ask Olivia to marry him?
(a) Over dinner.
(b) After church.
(c) While upon horseback.
(d) By the river on a walk.
3. What had happened to Malcolm's mother?
(a) All of these.
(b) She had died in her sleep.
(c) She had run off when he was five.
(d) She had killed herself.
4. How many tiers on the chandeliers were lit?
(a) All three.
(b) All five.
(c) Two of the five.
(d) Four of the five.
5. Who learned more about Olivia than anyone else?
(a) The lawyer in charge of her father's affairs.
(b) John Amos.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) All of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. The women at the party reminded Olivia of what?
2. What did Garland and Alicia do all afternoon?
3. What characteristic(s) of women did Malcolm despise?
4. What mountains were "looming like sleeping giants?"
5. Who did Malcolm take into the library at their reception?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mal's birth revive Olivia's hopes for love? What actually occurred?
2. How did Olivia feel about meeting Malcolm and how did she feel once she had met him?
3. How did Malcolm react to the news that Olivia couldn't have any more children after Joel?
4. How does Malcolm feel about marriage?
5. Why did Olivia's father encourage her to go to business school?
6. What began happening to Alicia and Garland?
7. There are several rooms mentioned as Olivia is escorted through Foxworth Hall for the first time. What is significant about them?
8. What both intrigued and dismayed Olivia about the library?
9. What did Malcolm do that upset and embarrassed Olivia?
10. What news came by way of Malcolm to Olivia?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)