|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Garland feel sorry for Olivia?
(a) She looked so unhappy.
(b) She looked so lonely.
(c) She was so tall.
(d) She was married to Malcolm.
2. What was the name of the retired Sunday School teacher?
(a) Mr. Chesterton.
(b) Mr. Chillington.
(c) Mr. Challingworth.
(d) Mr. Chillingworth.
3. What instrument were Mal and Joel playing?
(a) The piano.
(b) The saxophone.
(c) The trumpet.
(d) The guitar.
4. When was Malcolm to return that evening?
(a) Just after she retired.
(b) After she was asleep.
(c) Just before she retired to bed.
(d) He wasn't to return that evening.
5. What did attics represent to Olivia?
(a) Both of these.
(c) Neither of these.
6. What kind of neckline did Olivia's gown that she donned when she went to bed have?
(a) A V-neck.
(b) An empire neckline.
(c) None of these.
(d) A scoop neck.
7. What color were Malcolm's eyes?
8. What characteristic(s) of women did Malcolm despise?
(a) All of these.
(b) Frilly types.
(c) Those without an ounce of self respect.
9. What did Malcolm say to Olivia when he came to her that night?
(a) We must do what is necessary.
(b) I want a daughter.
(c) I want a son.
(d) I hoped we could be together.
10. What stipulation did Mr. Winfield put on Malcolm Foxworth marrying his daughter?
(a) That her fortune was her own and that Malcolm was not entitled to it.
(b) That he treat her with respect and dignity.
(c) That he honestly love her.
(d) That he have the courage to divorce her if he didn't love her.
11. How long has Mrs. Wilson been with the Foxworths?
(a) Nearly thirty-five years.
(b) Nearly forty years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Nearly thirty years.
12. What was Olivia not to discuss at the table?
(a) How she lost her mother.
(b) The woman's suffrage movement.
(c) When she got her period.
(d) A woman's place in the world.
13. What was the name of Malcolm's father?
14. What objections does Olivia put in about Garland's age?
(a) Neither of these.
(b) That he will be dead before she is middle age.
(c) Both of these.
(d) That he is too old for her.
15. What mountains were "looming like sleeping giants?"
(a) The Blue Ridge Mountains.
(b) The Black Hills.
(c) The Rocky Mountains.
(d) The Appalachian Mountains.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Patterson needed help with what?
2. What food is mentioned in Chapter Five?
3. Which of Olivia's thoughts in regards to the North Wing were proved correct?
4. The women at the party reminded Olivia of what?
5. Who did Malcolm take into the library at their reception?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)