|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is worth a fortune to the boy and his father in Africa?
2. What does David do with everything he has written on the first day he tries to write after his stories have been burned?
3. What does Catherine call David in Chapter 23?
4. Which story does David rewrite in the last chapter?
5. What will Juma not let Davy do?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what does Marita wonder in Chapter 28?
2. What do David and Marita talk about after David writes about the skeleton of the female elephant?
3. What does Davy think as the elephant dies?
4. What happens to David as he writes his short story about Africa?
5. What does Madame tell David after his short stories have been destroyed?
6. What does Catherine say about the long manuscript in Chapter 23?
7. What does Catherine say about marriage after her trip to Nice with Marita?
8. What does Catherine say when David and Marita come home from celebrating the completion of the elephant story?
9. What do David and Marita do while alone in their cove after he finishes his first short story?
10. What does David do at the beginning of Chapter 29?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Madame is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Catherine displays a very controlling nature in this book. How does her need for control affect the people around her, and why is this controlling nature so significant for the setting of this book?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write about their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)