|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Catherine use to describe painting?
2. What does David do that makes the beautiful girl from the cafy blush?
3. With whom does David eat caviar while Catherine and Marita are on a day trip?
4. Where does David go with Catherine a few days before Chapter 12?
5. What does Catherine do while waiting for David to finish working just after they leave France?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David lie awake thinking about at night, and why?
2. What does David say about the absinthe, and to what is he referring?
3. What does Catherine say to David when he returns after leaving angry?
4. What does Catherine say she misses in Chapter 6?
5. Why does David want to go with Catherine to Biarritz?
6. What does the beautiful girl in the cafy say to Catherine when they first meet?
7. What does Catherine tell David she wants to be when she gets bored, and how does David respond to this?
8. What about Catherine's actions does David find emasculating?
9. What do David, Catherine, and Marita do when Catherine and Marita return from Nice?
10. What does David do when he and Catherine get to Spain, and how does he feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anger is an emotion that emerges in a few very sensitive places in the plot. What are some of these instances, and how are the outcome of the plot and the characters involved in those scene affected by this anger?
Essay Topic 2
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
David endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)