|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine call Marita the day after David returns?
2. What stops David from going where he wants to go after his writing is finished in Chapter 5?
3. What is David drinking when Catherine and Marita return in from their day trip?
4. What type of person does the girl in Chapter 1 say she is?
5. What does David order at the cafy in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do David and Catherine do when they return to their guesthouse after their haircuts?
2. What does Catherine say she misses in Chapter 6?
3. What does Catherine say when she meets up with David and his friend at the cafy in Chapter 7?
4. What does Marita ask of David when he returns after leaving in anger?
5. How does David feel about Catherine's haircut?
6. How did Catherine's parents die?
7. What does Catherine do while on her trip alone to Biarritz?
8. What does David do when he and Catherine get to Spain, and how does he feel about it?
9. Why does Catherine go up to her room alone after David talks about the effects of absinthe?
10. What does Catherine tell David she wants to be when she gets bored, and how does David respond to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anger is an emotion that emerges in a few very sensitive places in the plot. What are some of these instances, and how are the outcome of the plot and the characters involved in those scene affected by this anger?
Essay Topic 2
Individuality and self expression are two things that are very important to some of the major characters in this book. What are some examples of this, and how do these instances alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
How does the relationship between the three lovers change throughout the course of the plot, and how do these changes affect the characters around them?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)