|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Catherine describe her love making with the girl?
2. Where does Catherine say she wants to go in Chapter 5?
3. How does Catherine say she is feeling while she is trying to learn Spanish?
4. How does David get to the cove while Catherine and Marita aregone?
5. Where does David meet Catherine in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David feel about Catherine's haircut?
2. What does Catherine do while on her trip alone to Biarritz?
3. What does Catherine force David to do when they stay in France again?
4. What does Catherine say to David when he returns after leaving angry?
5. About what does David feel guilty when Catherine and Marita are in Nice?
6. What does Catherine tell David she wants to be when she gets bored, and how does David respond to this?
7. What does Catherine say that surprises both David and the beautiful girl?
8. What does the beautiful girl in the cafy say to Catherine when they first meet?
9. What about Catherine's actions does David find emasculating?
10. Why does Catherine go up to her room alone after David talks about the effects of absinthe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Catherine displays a very controlling nature in this book. How does her need for control affect the people around her, and why is this controlling nature so significant for the setting of this book?
Essay Topic 2
Marita and Catherine are similar characters in this book, and yet there are some marked differences. What are some of the differences and similarities in these two dynamic characters?
Essay Topic 3
David endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)