|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Catherine get keys to David's workroom?
(a) She findsa them in his shorts.
(b) She enters through Marita's room.
(c) She hires a locksmith.
(d) She finds a spare.
2. Where does Catherine say she will find an artist for the long narrative?
3. What will Juma not let Davy do?
(a) Go to the tavern.
(b) Drink beer.
(c) Shoot a gun.
(d) Carry a rifle.
4. What does David suggest they all do when Catherine starts insulting his stories?
(a) Head to the bar.
(b) Go swimming.
(c) Make love.
(d) Walk along the shore.
5. What is David doing when Catherine and Marita return in Chapter 17?
(a) Taking a shower.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many bullets had been used to kill the female elephant years ago?
2. Where does Davy's father first shoot the elephant?
3. How does David describe his father's personal life?
4. What is the name of the father figure in the African stories?
5. What does David do with Marita once he stops writing on the first day he tries to write after his stories have been burned?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what does Marita wonder in Chapter 28?
2. What does Marita try to do for David after Catherine has destroyed his short stories?
3. What does David do when he gets back from the beach with the girls after finishing the elephant story?
4. What is different when David wakes up in the last chapter?
5. How does Davy feel when he is shown the skeleton of the female elephant?
6. What do David and Marita talk about after David writes about the skeleton of the female elephant?
7. What makes it easier for David to write the African stories the second time?
8. What does Catherine ask David to do after he writes the part about Davy on the hunt, and what is his response?
9. Where does David meet Catherine and Marita in Chapter 23, and how do they look when he gets there?
10. What does Catherine do while David and Marita are swimming alone in the cove after David's first short story has been completed?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)