|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what does Catherine compare burning David's stories?
(a) Killing a child.
(b) Committing suicide.
(c) Hurting his soul.
(d) Taking his pride.
2. What does David think is wrong with Catherine?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She has a tumor.
(c) She is insane.
(d) She is drinking too much.
3. How long has David been writing in Chapter 17?
(a) 4 weeks.
(b) 6 weeks.
(c) 7 weeks.
(d) 5 weeks.
4. Where does Catherine say she will find an artist for the long narrative?
5. What does David ask Marita to do for him in Chapter 27?
(a) Keep him from killing Catherine.
(b) Help him rewrite the stories.
(c) Avoid Catherine.
(d) Make love to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who convinces David to dismiss his threat after confronting Catherine about showing Marita the manuscript?
2. In what room is David when he wakes up in the last chapter?
3. What does David love most about writing his African stories?
4. What does David do with everything he has written on the first day he tries to write after his stories have been burned?
5. What does Davy wish on the first night of the tracking?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Davy feel when he is shown the skeleton of the female elephant?
2. What does Catherine do while David and Marita are swimming alone in the cove after David's first short story has been completed?
3. What do David and Marita do while alone in their cove after he finishes his first short story?
4. What does Catherine do when she reads the David's first short story?
5. What does Marita say she wants David to do every day after Catherine has gone for good?
6. What is different when David wakes up in the last chapter?
7. Where does David meet Catherine and Marita in Chapter 23, and how do they look when he gets there?
8. What does David do when he gets back from the beach with the girls after finishing the elephant story?
9. What happens to David as he writes his short story about Africa?
10. What does Catherine say to David about his clippings when they are on the beach, and what has she done with them?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)