|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Davy use to describe the dying elephant?
2. What does Catherine call the elephant story when it is finished?
(a) A worthless anecdote.
(b) A morbid nothingness.
(c) A piece of crap.
(d) A void of intellect.
3. Where do David and Marita go when they are alone?
(a) The cafy.
(b) The cove.
(c) A hotel suite.
(d) The writing room.
4. What does Catherine do while David and Marita are alone and speaking about her?
(a) Drinks some absinthe.
(b) Searches Marita's room.
(c) Sees a doctor.
(d) Reads the new story.
5. On what kind of terrain is the bull elephant found?
(a) Grassy plain.
(b) Harsh rocks.
(c) Cooled lava.
6. What was the subject of David's first book?
(b) The Revolutionary War.
(d) The Spanish American War.
7. How does David feel about his African story?
(a) It is his only refuge.
(b) It is a burden he must loose.
(c) It is more real than reality.
(d) It is strangely symbolic.
8. What does Catherine do to the clippings about David's writing?
(a) Throws them away.
(b) Swallows them.
(c) Burns them.
(d) Frames them.
9. How long has David been writing in Chapter 17?
(a) 4 weeks.
(b) 6 weeks.
(c) 7 weeks.
(d) 5 weeks.
10. How long does it take David to finish his short story?
(a) 4 months.
(b) 4 weeks.
(c) 4 hours.
(d) 4 days.
11. What does David ask Marita to do for him in Chapter 27?
(a) Keep him from killing Catherine.
(b) Avoid Catherine.
(c) Help him rewrite the stories.
(d) Make love to him.
12. What feeling does David want included in the elephant story?
13. What does Catherine call David in Chapter 23?
(b) Third Wheel.
14. How does David view his writing in Chapter 17?
(d) A refuge.
15. About what does David say he cares most in Chapter 25?
(b) His writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine want to include in the manuscript?
2. What does Davy wish on the first night of the tracking?
3. What does David call he and Marita on the first day he tries to write after his stories have been burned?
4. What is the name of the boy in David's short stories?
5. What are Marita and Catherine drinking when David finds them and confronts Catherine about showing Marita his manuscript?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)