|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does David feel about his African story?
(a) It is a burden he must loose.
(b) It is his only refuge.
(c) It is strangely symbolic.
(d) It is more real than reality.
2. What does Davy do to make his father proud on the hunt?
(a) Does not complain.
(b) Keeps up with the men.
(c) Kills birds.
(d) Tracks the elephant.
3. What does David love most about writing his African stories?
(a) He is escaping Catherine.
(b) He is revisiting his father.
(c) He is expressing deep thoughts.
(d) He is in control.
4. Where does Catherine say she will find an artist for the long narrative?
5. When does David stop writing on the first day he tries to write after his stories have been burned?
(a) When the sun comes up.
(b) At dusk.
(c) At noon.
(d) At midnight.
6. How does David view his life in Chapter 17?
(c) A refuge.
7. What does Catherine do to the clippings about David's writing?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Swallows them.
(c) Frames them.
(d) Throws them away.
8. Who makes David a meal in Chapter 20?
9. Who killed the female elephant years before the bull elephant was spotted?
(b) Davy's father.
(c) Davy's uncle.
(d) A poacher.
10. How does Madame feel about David's love triangle?
(a) She approves.
(b) She is oblivious.
(c) She is disgusted.
(d) She is not surprised.
11. What are Marita and Catherine drinking when David finds them and confronts Catherine about showing Marita his manuscript?
12. What is Marita doing when David sees her alone in the bar?
(a) Reading his book.
(c) Drinking absinthe.
(d) Flirting with Nina.
13. Where is Marita when David finds her in Chapter 16?
(a) His bed.
(b) The garden.
(c) The beach.
(d) The kitchen.
14. About what does David know more the second time he writes his short stories?
(c) His father.
15. What does David do with everything he has written on the first day he tries to write after his stories have been burned?
(a) Burns it.
(b) Eats it.
(c) Shreds it.
(d) Crosses it out.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marita describe the short story when she first reads it?
2. What does Catherine call David after insulting his grammar?
3. What does Marita ask David to do when they are alone and speaking about Catherine?
4. What does David think is wrong with Catherine?
5. What does Juma call elephant mates?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)