|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does David feel when he sees what Catherine has done to his African stories?
2. How does David feel about his African story?
(a) It is his only refuge.
(b) It is strangely symbolic.
(c) It is a burden he must loose.
(d) It is more real than reality.
3. What does Catherine want to include in the manuscript?
4. What does Marita want David to do everyday in town?
(a) Get some coffee.
(b) Go for a walk.
(c) Read the newspaper.
(d) Visit the library.
5. What will Juma not let Davy do?
(a) Go to the tavern.
(b) Carry a rifle.
(c) Drink beer.
(d) Shoot a gun.
6. What is David doing when Catherine and Marita return in Chapter 17?
(d) Taking a shower.
7. Who convinces David to dismiss his threat after confronting Catherine about showing Marita the manuscript?
(d) His publisher.
8. How does Madame feel about David's love triangle?
(a) She is not surprised.
(b) She is disgusted.
(c) She approves.
(d) She is oblivious.
9. What does Davy decide when they reach the female elephant corpse?
(a) He will never tell anyone anything again.
(b) He will never be greedy about money.
(c) He will never hunt again.
(d) He will never eat a living thing.
10. How does David's writing flow in the last chapter?
(d) He needs to be prompted by Martia.
11. What does Catherine call the elephant story when it is finished?
(a) A morbid nothingness.
(b) A void of intellect.
(c) A piece of crap.
(d) A worthless anecdote.
12. What was the subject of David's first book?
(b) The Spanish American War.
(c) The Revolutionary War.
13. How does Catherine travel to Paris?
(a) By train.
(b) By bus.
(c) By boat.
(d) By bike.
14. On what kind of terrain is the bull elephant found?
(a) Grassy plain.
(b) Harsh rocks.
(d) Cooled lava.
15. Who is with David after Catherine leaves after burning the stories?
(a) The image of an elephant.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Marita wonder in Chapter 28?
2. What does Marita think of the elephant story when she reads it?
3. Where does David want Catherine to see a doctor?
4. Where does David first meet Marita?
5. About what does David know more the second time he writes his short stories?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)