|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine call the African stories after David confronts her about showing Marita the manuscript?
(b) An abomination.
(c) A joke.
2. How does Madame feel about David's love triangle?
(a) She is not surprised.
(b) She is disgusted.
(c) She is oblivious.
(d) She approves.
3. Why does Catherine say she owns the African stories?
(a) She asks his permission to have them.
(b) She pays all the bills.
(c) She edits them.
(d) She inspires them.
4. What does Marita think of the elephant story when she reads it?
(a) She is frightened by it.
(b) She hates it.
(c) She is confused by it.
(d) She loves it.
5. When does David stop writing on the first day he tries to write after his stories have been burned?
(a) At dusk.
(b) At noon.
(c) When the sun comes up.
(d) At midnight.
6. What does Marita ask David to do when they are alone and speaking about Catherine?
(a) Leave Catherine.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Dive next to her.
(d) Make love to her.
7. How does Marita describe the short story when she first reads it?
(a) Terrible and wonderful.
(b) Haunting and sweet.
(c) Lovely and enchanting.
(d) Terifying and Exhilarating.
8. Where do David and Marita go when they are alone?
(a) The cove.
(b) A hotel suite.
(c) The cafy.
(d) The writing room.
9. Where does Catherine say she will find an artist for the long narrative?
10. How does Catherine say she feels in Chapter 19?
11. Where do David and Marita make love for the first time?
(a) The writing room.
(b) The cove.
(c) The garden.
(d) Catherine's bed.
12. Where does Davy's father first shoot the elephant?
(a) In his chest.
(b) In the stomach.
(c) In the rump.
(d) In the head.
13. How old is Davy when he tracks the elephant?
14. How does David view his life in Chapter 17?
(d) A refuge.
15. How many bullets had been used to kill the female elephant years ago?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David ask Marita to do for him in Chapter 27?
2. What does Davy wish on the first night of the tracking?
3. Who convinces David to dismiss his threat after confronting Catherine about showing Marita the manuscript?
4. What does Catherine call David after insulting his grammar?
5. With what does Catherine compare burning David's stories?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)