|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which story does David rewrite in the last chapter?
(a) The elephant story.
(b) The first one.
(c) The Rifle story.
(d) The giraffe description.
2. What will Juma not let Davy do?
(a) Go to the tavern.
(b) Shoot a gun.
(c) Carry a rifle.
(d) Drink beer.
3. What does Catherine do after she reads the short story?
(a) Throws it at David.
(c) Rips it in half.
(d) Burns it.
4. How does Catherine get keys to David's workroom?
(a) She findsa them in his shorts.
(b) She enters through Marita's room.
(c) She finds a spare.
(d) She hires a locksmith.
5. How does David feel about his African story?
(a) It is a burden he must loose.
(b) It is strangely symbolic.
(c) It is more real than reality.
(d) It is his only refuge.
6. Where does David go the minute he gets back from the beach with Catherine and Marita?
(a) His workroom.
(b) Catherine's room.
(c) The bar.
(d) The restroom.
7. How does David view his writing in Chapter 17?
(d) A refuge.
8. What does David drink with his breakfast after Catherine leaves after burning the stories?
9. What does David do with everything he has written on the first day he tries to write after his stories have been burned?
(a) Crosses it out.
(b) Eats it.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Shreds it.
10. How does David feel when he finishes the elephant story?
(a) Happy and relieved.
(b) Empty and Proud.
(c) Fulfilled and exhausted.
(d) Confused and disoriented.
11. Who tells David that Catherine has left for Paris?
(b) A note.
(c) The butler.
12. What does Marita ask David to do when they are alone and speaking about Catherine?
(a) Dive next to her.
(b) Make love to her.
(c) Marry her.
(d) Leave Catherine.
13. When does David wake up in the last chapter?
(a) Before dawn.
14. What does Catherine say she wants to study when she returns from Cannes?
15. What does David love most about writing his African stories?
(a) He is revisiting his father.
(b) He is escaping Catherine.
(c) He is expressing deep thoughts.
(d) He is in control.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine call the African stories after David confronts her about showing Marita the manuscript?
2. About what does Marita wonder in Chapter 28?
3. How old is Davy when he tracks the elephant?
4. What does Davy decide when they reach the female elephant corpse?
5. What does Marita think of the elephant story when she reads it?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)