|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David do with everything he has written on the first day he tries to write after his stories have been burned?
(a) Crosses it out.
(b) Shreds it.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Eats it.
2. Who tells David that Catherine has left for Paris?
(c) The butler.
(d) A note.
3. About what does David say he cares most in Chapter 25?
(b) His writing.
4. Where is Marita when David finds her in Chapter 16?
(a) His bed.
(b) The beach.
(c) The garden.
(d) The kitchen.
5. How does Marita describe the short story when she first reads it?
(a) Lovely and enchanting.
(b) Terifying and Exhilarating.
(c) Haunting and sweet.
(d) Terrible and wonderful.
6. About what does Marita wonder in Chapter 28?
(a) If she can love a man.
(b) If she should follow Catherine.
(c) If she will be a good wife.
(d) If David is worth the trouble.
7. How does David feel when he finishes the elephant story?
(a) Confused and disoriented.
(b) Empty and Proud.
(c) Fulfilled and exhausted.
(d) Happy and relieved.
8. What does David love most about writing his African stories?
(a) He is escaping Catherine.
(b) He is in control.
(c) He is expressing deep thoughts.
(d) He is revisiting his father.
9. How does Catherine say she feels in Chapter 19?
10. What does David threaten when Catherine says she is not sorry for showing Marita the manuscript?
(a) To take her part out of the book.
(b) Not to finish the book.
(c) To leave her.
(d) To burn the book.
11. How does David describe his father's personal life?
12. What is the name of the boy in the story's African guide?
13. What are Marita and Catherine drinking when David finds them and confronts Catherine about showing Marita his manuscript?
14. What does Catherine call the African stories after David confronts her about showing Marita the manuscript?
(c) An abomination.
(d) A joke.
15. What does Davy wish on the first night of the tracking?
(a) He had brought his dog.
(b) He had been stronger.
(c) He had never seen the elephant.
(d) He had not come on the hunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Catherine say she will find an artist for the long narrative?
2. What does Catherine call David in Chapter 23?
3. Which story does David rewrite in the last chapter?
4. What is the name of the father figure in the African stories?
5. What will Juma not let Davy do?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)