|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will Juma not let Davy do?
(a) Go to the tavern.
(b) Drink beer.
(c) Carry a rifle.
(d) Shoot a gun.
2. What is the subject of David's short stories?
(a) His relationship with Catherine.
(c) His dreams.
(d) His father's childhood.
3. How does Catherine travel to Paris?
(a) By boat.
(b) By train.
(c) By bus.
(d) By bike.
4. What does David write on the first day he tries to write after his stories have been burned?
(a) Lists of words.
(b) Simple sentences.
(c) Scripture passages.
5. What does David ask Marita to do for him in Chapter 27?
(a) Make love to him.
(b) Help him rewrite the stories.
(c) Keep him from killing Catherine.
(d) Avoid Catherine.
6. What does Marita think of the elephant story when she reads it?
(a) She is confused by it.
(b) She hates it.
(c) She is frightened by it.
(d) She loves it.
7. What does Catherine call Marita when they return from celebrating about the elephant story?
(a) Her mistress.
(b) The girl.
(c) The other wife.
(d) David's whore.
8. What was David's dog's name?
9. Where does David want Catherine to see a doctor?
10. With what does Catherine compare burning David's stories?
(a) Taking his pride.
(b) Committing suicide.
(c) Hurting his soul.
(d) Killing a child.
11. In what room is David when he wakes up in the last chapter?
(a) Marita's room.
(b) His room.
(c) Catherine's room.
(d) The workroom.
12. What does Catherine do after David eats in Chapter 20?
(a) Drinks some whiskey.
(b) Goes swimming.
(c) Takes a nap.
13. Who makes David a meal in Chapter 20?
14. What does Davy do to make his father proud on the hunt?
(a) Keeps up with the men.
(b) Tracks the elephant.
(c) Kills birds.
(d) Does not complain.
15. What does David threaten when Catherine says she is not sorry for showing Marita the manuscript?
(a) To take her part out of the book.
(b) To burn the book.
(c) Not to finish the book.
(d) To leave her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Marita and Catherine drinking when David finds them and confronts Catherine about showing Marita his manuscript?
2. How long has David been writing in Chapter 17?
3. What does Catherine call the elephant story when it is finished?
4. Who tells David that Catherine has left for Paris?
5. Which story does David rewrite in the last chapter?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)