|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Catherine say she feels in Chapter 19?
2. Where do David and Marita go when they are alone?
(a) The writing room.
(b) A hotel suite.
(c) The cafy.
(d) The cove.
3. Who is with David after Catherine leaves after burning the stories?
(d) The image of an elephant.
4. How long has David been writing in Chapter 17?
(a) 4 weeks.
(b) 5 weeks.
(c) 7 weeks.
(d) 6 weeks.
5. What does Catherine call the African stories after David confronts her about showing Marita the manuscript?
(a) An abomination.
(c) A joke.
6. What does Catherine say she wants to study when she returns from Cannes?
7. What are Marita and Catherine drinking when David finds them and confronts Catherine about showing Marita his manuscript?
8. What is the name of the boy in the story's African guide?
9. What does Catherine drink when she returns from Cannes?
10. What does Juma call elephant mates?
11. How does David feel about his African story?
(a) It is a burden he must loose.
(b) It is strangely symbolic.
(c) It is more real than reality.
(d) It is his only refuge.
12. What was David's dog's name?
13. What does Davy wish on the first night of the tracking?
(a) He had not come on the hunt.
(b) He had brought his dog.
(c) He had never seen the elephant.
(d) He had been stronger.
14. What does David love most about writing his African stories?
(a) He is escaping Catherine.
(b) He is expressing deep thoughts.
(c) He is in control.
(d) He is revisiting his father.
15. When does David stop writing on the first day he tries to write after his stories have been burned?
(a) At midnight.
(b) At noon.
(c) At dusk.
(d) When the sun comes up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the father figure in the African stories?
2. What does Catherine call David in Chapter 23?
3. Where does David go the minute he gets back from the beach with Catherine and Marita?
4. How does David view his life in Chapter 17?
5. How does Catherine get keys to David's workroom?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)