|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rudy try to get Yolanda to do?
2. What was the hidden agenda behind the four girls spending summers in the Dominican Republic?
3. How many years pass when Yolanda and Rudy meet later in life?
4. Why did Yolanda's parents become concerned about her?
5. What is the shape of the cake at the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the response by the aunts to Yolanda's wish to take a drive in the country? Why do they all react this way? What do they warn Yolanda about?
2. Why does Chucha not think it is a good idea for Carla to be back in the maid's room? What does this say about the relationships between the servants and the family?
3. Why does the father say they fired Gladys? Why is trust so important to this family? How much to they rely on the servants for help?
4. What is Rudy trying to teach Yolanda with his sonnets? Why does he choose this approach?
5. How is Yolanda cured of her mental illness? What brings her back to reality?
6. When the girls are successful at removing Sofia from the island, what does this mean for Sofia and her future? Did the girls help their sister or hurt her?
7. Why does Sofia give her father the wet kiss in his ear? What is she trying to prove to her father? Why does this anger her father?
8. Who is the man with the dog that Yolanda meets by the coal shed? Is he really a hunter as her aunt says? If he is a hunter, then why do they call the police when they hear gunshots?
9. In the first chapter, why is the boy crying on the side of the road? Why would nobody believe him when he went for help? What does this say about the country?
10. How does the author describe the public schools in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the family compound is next to the dictator's daughter's land? What does this say about the grandfather, who appears to be a sweet man with education, but might be something else? How does the grandfather feel about politics? Why does he take the job with the United Nations? How much is dictated by the grandmother?
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between the servants and the family on the island? Does this change once they reach the States? Why? Why not? How do the children relate to the servants? Is their relationship different from the parents? Why?
Essay Topic 3
It seems the father is always fighting a battle, no matter where he lives. Who is the villain on the island and who becomes the villain once the family arrives in America? What demons must the father fight to protect his family and keep them safe? After the move, he is still fighting demons, just different ones. How does that affect the family?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)