|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What invitation did the mother give to the person she met at the hospital?
2. What are the names the girls called their mother to make fun of her leisure activity?
3. Who was the father's favorite artist to see when he went to the museum?
4. What was the title of the autobiographical paper that the oldest daughter wrote?
5. What does Sofia do that offends her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of the cake. What does each candle represent? Is there another meaning to the cake?
2. Why does Chucha not think it is a good idea for Carla to be back in the maid's room? What does this say about the relationships between the servants and the family?
3. How does Sister Zoe explain what snow is? Why is this explanation important to Yolanda?
4. What does Yolanda think when she sees the snow falling? Where does she get this idea?
5. How does the author describe the public schools in New York?
6. Why does Sofia give her father the wet kiss in his ear? What is she trying to prove to her father? Why does this anger her father?
7. Who is Yolanda talking to when she tells the story of John? Why is this important?
8. Why are the girls so mortified by Sofia's boyfriend? What do they see happening to their sister? What will this mean in their own lives?
9. How is Yolanda cured of her mental illness? What brings her back to reality?
10. How does Mr. Fanning react to his wife's drinking? What is the reaction of the girls' mother? Why does she react this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems that every member of the family must overcome a mental problem. Are all the problems the same or do they manifest differently? Why? Do you think their mental issues are caused by the trauma in their family and their move to the U.S.? Why? Do you feel, at the end of the story, that the problems still exist? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the family compound is next to the dictator's daughter's land? What does this say about the grandfather, who appears to be a sweet man with education, but might be something else? How does the grandfather feel about politics? Why does he take the job with the United Nations? How much is dictated by the grandmother?
Essay Topic 3
The family seems so normal back on the island, only the servants are crazy, but, after the move, the girls and the mother all have issues dealing with life. Do you think it has anything to do with money? They were rich on the island, but life is more up-close in America and they struggle keeping a grip on reality. What do you think? Why?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)