|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the title of the autobiographical paper that the oldest daughter wrote?
2. What happened when the father heard Yolanda's school speech?
3. What does the girls' father give to the girls when they return home?
4. After college, when did Yolanda see Rudy again?
5. What did Rudy ask Yolanda to borrow the first time he spoke to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What insults did John say to Yolanda? Was he teasing, or was he serious? Was the relationship really abusive, or was Yolanda putting her own spin on her memory?
2. What did the girls' father say about having all girls? Do you think he really felt this way?
3. Why did the girls' parents want them to return to the island every summer? Why did they not want them to live in the U.S. as adults?
4. What does Yolanda think when she sees the snow falling? Where does she get this idea?
5. When the girls arrive at the strange house for their art lesson, there are two chairs on the open patio. What clue is that for the reader? Knowing what we know about Dona Charito and her husband, who is using these chairs?
6. When Sandi falls and breaks her arm who carries her to safety? Why does Sandi cling to this person? What mixed emotions are played out in this scene?
7. How is Yolanda cured of her mental illness? What brings her back to reality?
8. What is the significance of the electric typewriter? What does it mean to Yolanda? To her mother? To her father?
9. When Rudy and Yolanda meet years later, how is Yolanda different? Is she different? Is her reaction to Rudy different from when she was young? Why?
10. It is clear from the moment the men in khakis walk up the driveway of the Garcia home that the Garcias have a plan in case of danger. What is their plan and how do they execute it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It seems the father is always fighting a battle, no matter where he lives. Who is the villain on the island and who becomes the villain once the family arrives in America? What demons must the father fight to protect his family and keep them safe? After the move, he is still fighting demons, just different ones. How does that affect the family?
Essay Topic 2
If the key to life is happiness, who is happy at the end of the novel? Who do you think made the transition to America with the greatest ease? Why?
Essay Topic 3
From the first chapter it seems that danger is lurking on the island. What is the danger? How real is the danger? Why is it never discussed out loud? Why are the kids shielded from information about danger?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)