|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the first chapter of the novel, what does Yolanda want to do that shocks her relatives?
(a) Take a drive by herself.
(b) Swim naked in the pool.
(c) Sunbathe in the back yard.
(d) Take a jog in the city.
2. What did Sofia's father find in her room when she was young woman that caused a stir?
(b) Love letters from her beau.
3. When Yolanda buys a personalized key chain, what name does she pick?
4. What does the father finally end up doing in New York that gives him professional success?
(a) He becomes a college professor.
(b) He is a doctor at Centro de Medicina in the Bronx.
(c) He works in a clinic downtown.
(d) He returns to school and becomes a banker.
5. What did Rudy ask Yolanda to borrow the first time he spoke to her?
(a) A cookie.
(b) Her lunch.
(d) A pen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the father's favorite artist to see when he went to the museum?
2. What did John always do with his clothes?
3. Who helps Yolanda find the food she wants?
4. Who did the mother engage in a conversation with at the hospital?
5. What happened when the father heard Yolanda's school speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where have the uncles gone who do not appear anymore at family holidays? Are they dead? Are they in prison? Where do you think they are?
2. Who is Yolanda talking to when she tells the story of John? Why is this important?
3. When Sandi shows artistic talent, the maid, Milagros, takes Sandi to her sick son and they both believe Sandi cures the boy. How does this tie into the image of Sandi's face as the Virgin Mary? For what art has Sandi suffered?
4. When the girls are successful at removing Sofia from the island, what does this mean for Sofia and her future? Did the girls help their sister or hurt her?
5. Why are the boys not interested in Yolanda once she gets to college? What changed between high school and college?
6. When do the daughters return home? Why is it important for the daughters to return without their husbands? What does this say about their father? The girls?
7. What is the significance of the electric typewriter? What does it mean to Yolanda? To her mother? To her father?
8. Why were the girls not supportive of their mother's inventions? Why did they not take them seriously?
9. When the father returns from the U.S. what is he discussing with his wife? Why are they talking about the skyrocketing prices in the U.S.?
10. What is Rudy trying to teach Yolanda with his sonnets? Why does he choose this approach?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)