|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Yolanda meet Rudy Elmenhurst?
(a) In a college English class.
(b) At lunch.
(c) At a frat party.
(d) He came to her door one night.
2. What happens to Sofia's father as the evening wears on at the party?
(a) He becomes removed.
(b) He starts singing.
(c) He gets drunk and laughs loudly.
(d) He starts kissing all the girls.
3. Who does Manual Gustavo look like?
(b) President Kennedy.
(c) The dictator.
(d) Mr. Fanning.
4. How much does Yolanda pay her young helper in the first chapter?
(a) 50 cents.
(b) 6 dollars.
(c) More than a dollar.
(d) 10 dollars.
5. What did the girls take turns being?
(a) The wildest.
(b) The prettiest.
(c) The troublemaker.
(d) Daddy's favorite.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Yolanda's parents become concerned about her?
2. As adults, what do the daughters still come home for?
3. What is the mother's first name?
4. What is the shape of the cake at the beginning of the novel?
5. What did Carla do to make the sneakers red?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the code that Mrs. Garcia sends to Don Victor via Chino? What does it mean? Is this also part of the safety plan?
2. How does Carla view the celebration dinner for the family's first American year? Why do the parents view it differently from the kids? What is this telling the reader?
3. Why did Yolanda like Sister Zoe so much? What did the nun do to make Yolanda feel welcome and important?
4. Why did Carla want red sneakers? Why was the color so important?
5. Whose face is on the statue at the National Cathedral? Who carved the statue? What is Sandi's reaction to seeing her own face reflected back at her?
6. Why is the mother not offended by Yolanda's speech, but her father is?
7. When Rudy and Yolanda meet years later, how is Yolanda different? Is she different? Is her reaction to Rudy different from when she was young? Why?
8. When do the daughters return home? Why is it important for the daughters to return without their husbands? What does this say about their father? The girls?
9. What did Sister Zoe tell the students about the Cuban Missile Crisis? How much description did she give to the kids? Why?
10. Who is Yolanda talking to when she tells the story of John? Why is this important?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)