|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sofia's father find in her room when she was young woman that caused a stir?
(b) Love letters from her beau.
2. What kind of lists did John make?
(a) Lists of names.
(b) Grocery lists.
(c) Flaw lists.
(d) For and against lists.
3. What does the father finally end up doing in New York that gives him professional success?
(a) He returns to school and becomes a banker.
(b) He is a doctor at Centro de Medicina in the Bronx.
(c) He works in a clinic downtown.
(d) He becomes a college professor.
4. What does Yolanda want to find and eat on the island in the first chapter?
(d) A hot dog.
5. Why was Yolanda so pleased with the speech she wrote for school?
(a) She wrote the speech in Spanish.
(b) Because her father liked it.
(c) She felt she was a rebel.
(d) She finally sounded like herself in English.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nicknames does the grandfather give to the baby?
2. What did Rudy ask Yolanda to borrow the first time he spoke to her?
3. What did Rudy try to get Yolanda to do?
4. What cured Yolanda?
5. What happens when the father is offended at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sofia's father taken with her son, but not her daughter? Why does this anger Sofia?
2. When Sandi falls and breaks her arm who carries her to safety? Why does Sandi cling to this person? What mixed emotions are played out in this scene?
3. What is the significance of the electric typewriter? What does it mean to Yolanda? To her mother? To her father?
4. When the girls are successful at removing Sofia from the island, what does this mean for Sofia and her future? Did the girls help their sister or hurt her?
5. In the first chapter, why is the boy crying on the side of the road? Why would nobody believe him when he went for help? What does this say about the country?
6. When the father returns from the U.S. what is he discussing with his wife? Why are they talking about the skyrocketing prices in the U.S.?
7. What is Rudy trying to teach Yolanda with his sonnets? Why does he choose this approach?
8. It is clear from the moment the men in khakis walk up the driveway of the Garcia home that the Garcias have a plan in case of danger. What is their plan and how do they execute it?
9. Whose face is on the statue at the National Cathedral? Who carved the statue? What is Sandi's reaction to seeing her own face reflected back at her?
10. What is the response by the aunts to Yolanda's wish to take a drive in the country? Why do they all react this way? What do they warn Yolanda about?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)