|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did John call Yolanda Violet?
(a) That was her least favorite color.
(b) After "shrinking violet" when she started seeing a shrink.
(c) That was her favorite flower.
(d) That was her favorite color.
2. What was the mother always doing in her spare time in America?
(a) Going to museums.
(d) Inventing things.
3. What speech was Yolanda asked to deliver at school that her mother helped her with?
(a) All Saint Day address.
(b) Christopher Columbus Day address.
(c) The Teacher's Day address.
(d) The President's address.
4. How did Yolanda meet Rudy Elmenhurst?
(a) He came to her door one night.
(b) At a frat party.
(c) At lunch.
(d) In a college English class.
5. What happened to the speech that Yolanda wrote for school?
(a) Yolanda tore it into pieces.
(b) Her father tore it into pieces.
(c) Her mother saved it in her personal trunk.
(d) Her father framed it and put it up on the wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the mother always call the girls?
2. Who does Manual Gustavo look like?
3. What kind of flowers did John bring home to Yolanda?
4. What is Yolanda's name in Spanish?
5. What is the shape of the cake at the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the man with the dog that Yolanda meets by the coal shed? Is he really a hunter as her aunt says? If he is a hunter, then why do they call the police when they hear gunshots?
2. Who are the Guardia? What do they do when they come to the de la Torres compound? Why do they take the actions that they do?
3. How does the author describe the public schools in New York?
4. Why did Yolanda like Sister Zoe so much? What did the nun do to make Yolanda feel welcome and important?
5. How did the girls' mother view finding the marijuana? What does this symbolize for the mother?
6. How does Yolanda lose the drumsticks?
7. How is Yolanda viewed by the other people on the island? How does the owner of the cantina see her? The boy? The workers who help her with her car?
8. When Rudy and Yolanda meet years later, how is Yolanda different? Is she different? Is her reaction to Rudy different from when she was young? Why?
9. Who is Yolanda talking to when she tells the story of John? Why is this important?
10. Why will Yolanda's mother not let her bang the drum? Why would she allow such a toy and then put limits on it? Does this confuse Yolanda? Why?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)