|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of flowers did John bring home to Yolanda?
2. What is the mother's first name?
3. How did the mother dress her daughters when they were small?
(a) Differently to tell them apart.
(b) All alike but in different colors.
(c) Like boys.
(d) In the same color dresses.
4. What hangs from the belts of the two men who help Yolanda when her car breaks down?
(d) Weed eaters.
5. What are the names the girls called their mother to make fun of her leisure activity?
(a) Statue of Liberty Mami.
(b) Thomas Edison Mami, Benjamin Franklin Mom.
(c) Mami the inventor.
(d) Mami Kodak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nicknames does the grandfather give to the baby?
2. When the mother was confronted by a salesclerk in a store, how did she put them off?
3. In the first chapter of the novel, what does Yolanda want to do that shocks her relatives?
4. What does the girls' father give to the girls when they return home?
5. Who appeared at all of Yolanda's poetry readings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yolanda think when she sees the snow falling? Where does she get this idea?
2. What did Sister Zoe tell the students about the Cuban Missile Crisis? How much description did she give to the kids? Why?
3. Why will Yolanda's mother not let her bang the drum? Why would she allow such a toy and then put limits on it? Does this confuse Yolanda? Why?
4. How did Yolanda decide to leave John? What did she perceive was happening? What do you think was really happening?
5. What did the girls' father say about having all girls? Do you think he really felt this way?
6. Why is Sofia's father taken with her son, but not her daughter? Why does this anger Sofia?
7. What is significant about the rift between Sofia and her father? What does this say about his attitudes in their new country?
8. In the first chapter, why is the boy crying on the side of the road? Why would nobody believe him when he went for help? What does this say about the country?
9. When Rudy and Yolanda meet years later, how is Yolanda different? Is she different? Is her reaction to Rudy different from when she was young? Why?
10. How did the girls' mother view finding the marijuana? What does this symbolize for the mother?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)