|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the sisters blindfold their dad with when they play a game?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A kitchen towel.
(c) The baby's blanket.
(d) A baby's coat.
2. What saying did the father say about having four girls?
(a) "We need a rooster."
(b) "Good chickens have chicks."
(c) '"Good bulls sire cows."
(d) "Girls are worthless."
3. What year did Yolanda meet Rudy?
4. What did Rudy do the first night he met Yolanda?
(a) Asked her to a movie.
(b) Asked her to dinner.
(c) Came to her dorm room.
(d) Asked her for a kiss.
5. Why did Sandra end up in a mental institution?
(a) She got really fat.
(b) She wrote a disturbing letter home.
(c) She tried to starve herself to death.
(d) She called her mother and she couldn't stop crying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Yolanda think about the speech her mother wrote for her school program?
2. What happens when the father is offended at the party?
3. What hangs from the belts of the two men who help Yolanda when her car breaks down?
4. What did John always do with his clothes?
5. What does Sofia do that offends her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rudy trying to teach Yolanda with his sonnets? Why does he choose this approach?
2. How does Yolanda lose the drumsticks?
3. How does the author describe the public schools in New York?
4. When Mrs. Garcia makes a plate of food for the men in her house, what does she do to assure them that the food is okay?
5. How does Sister Zoe explain what snow is? Why is this explanation important to Yolanda?
6. How were the mother's inventions an important part of her American life? What did this say about her ambitions for herself?
7. How is Yolanda viewed by the other people on the island? How does the owner of the cantina see her? The boy? The workers who help her with her car?
8. What is the code that Mrs. Garcia sends to Don Victor via Chino? What does it mean? Is this also part of the safety plan?
9. Why does Chucha not think it is a good idea for Carla to be back in the maid's room? What does this say about the relationships between the servants and the family?
10. How does Carla view the celebration dinner for the family's first American year? Why do the parents view it differently from the kids? What is this telling the reader?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)