|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game did the cousins play on the patio after their morning swim?
(b) Sidewalk chalk art.
(d) Hop Scotch.
2. What did the father keep in his hiding place?
(a) A club.
(b) Water, aspirin, sleeping pills and a small revolver.
(c) Food and water only.
(d) A pillow to sleep.
3. What did La Bruja do almost daily to annoy the Garcias?
(a) Yelled at the girls as they entered the building.
(b) Accosted the girls' mother and told her to go back to where she came from.
(c) Told their father that the girls were too loud.
(d) She sent Alfredo to complain about the noise.
4. Where did the grandparents travel to often?
(a) New York.
(c) The Capitol.
5. How did Yolanda almost get her dad killed?
(a) She bragged at school that her father was in the CIA.
(b) She told her cousins that they were leaving for America soon.
(c) She said he had connections with the CIA.
(d) She said he had a gun.
6. What did Mundin want Yolanda to show him as a trade for the clay?
(a) Her new book.
(b) That she is a girl.
(c) How she could roll the clay.
(d) How she curled her hair.
7. What story was Yolanda reading when her cousin tried to get her attention with the clay snake?
(a) Tom Sawyer.
(b) The Bible.
8. When the mother said the girls were going to make her crazy, where did she say she would end up?
(a) On the streets.
(b) In the river.
(c) Back on the island.
(d) In Belleview.
9. What did Carla think of the yearly celebration of coming to America?
(a) It was celebrating the day they lost everything.
(b) It was great and she loved the cake.
(c) She totally understood the fuss.
(d) She couldn't remember coming to America.
10. What was the secret phrase that the mother sent to Don Victor to tell him that there was trouble?
(a) To come pick up his tennis shoes.
(b) To go to his office.
(c) To come to the house to eat.
(d) To go play tennis with her husband.
11. What did Victor offer to the secret police to end the trouble with the Garcia's?
(a) He offered to escort them from their home.
(b) He agreed to defend the Garcias.
(c) He offered the police money.
(d) He agreed to have the Garcias out of the country in 48 hours.
12. How did Dona Charito meet her husband?
(a) In an art class.
(b) Posing for him to sketch her.
(c) On vacation with her family.
(d) At the Prado in Madrid.
13. What did Laura offer the men who were keeping watch at her gate when she arrived home?
(a) Umbrellas for shade.
(c) Something cold to drink.
(d) A chair to rest.
14. What kind of drills did Yolanda have in the 4th grade?
(a) Tornado drills.
(b) Air raid drills.
(c) Snow emergency drills.
(d) Hurricane drills.
15. What was Yolanda's 4th grade teacher's name?
(a) Sister Theresa.
(b) Sister Mary.
(c) Sister Boom Boom.
(d) Sister Zoe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose face appeared on the Virgin sculpture?
2. Why did Sandi get in trouble at the art lesson?
3. What did the de la Torre family do on Christmas Eve after the art lesson?
4. What did Mrs. Fanning do at dinner that angered her husband?
5. Where did the Fannings take the Garcias for dinner?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)