|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which aunt was divorced?
(a) Tia Venice.
(b) Tia Rosa.
(c) Tia Isa.
(d) Tia Maria.
2. What was the father's hiding place from the secret police?
(a) A space in the garage.
(b) A compartment inside his closet.
(c) A tunnel.
(d) His car.
3. Where had the girls seen dancers before like the ones at the restaurant?
(a) At an amusement park.
(b) In another Spanish restaurant.
(c) At the Domincan World's Fair.
(d) In Madrid.
4. What did Gladys want from Carla?
(a) Her mechanical bank.
(b) Her new doll.
(c) Her book.
(d) Her drum.
5. What was the country's slogan in the Dominican Republic?
(a) "Become wealthy with Trujillo."
(b) "God and Trujillo are taking care of you."
(c) "Country pride."
(d) "Trujillo is your friend."
6. How did Yolanda almost get her dad killed?
(a) She bragged at school that her father was in the CIA.
(b) She said he had a gun.
(c) She told her cousins that they were leaving for America soon.
(d) She said he had connections with the CIA.
7. What did Victor offer to the secret police to end the trouble with the Garcia's?
(a) He offered to escort them from their home.
(b) He agreed to have the Garcias out of the country in 48 hours.
(c) He offered the police money.
(d) He agreed to defend the Garcias.
8. What did the de la Torre family do on Christmas Eve after the art lesson?
(a) They went to the National Cathedral.
(b) They swam in the pool.
(c) They visited New York.
(d) They opened presents at grandmother and grandfather's house.
9. The evening that the Garcias went to the restaurant to meet the Fannings, how did they get there?
(a) By subway.
(b) Their father drove them.
(c) By bus.
(d) In a cab.
10. What was Yolanda's 4th grade teacher's name?
(a) Sister Theresa.
(b) Sister Zoe.
(c) Sister Mary.
(d) Sister Boom Boom.
11. What gift did the father bring for the girls when he returned from America?
(a) Dolls in costumes.
(c) Mechanical banks.
(d) Red boots.
12. Whose face appeared on the Virgin sculpture?
(c) Uncle Tio's.
13. Why was Yolanda seated differently than the other children in her 4th grade class?
(a) The teacher grouped Yolanda with the nice kids.
(b) The teacher wanted to embarrass her.
(c) The teacher wanted the other kids to like Yolanda.
(d) Because she was the only immigrant and the teacher needed to tutor her without disturbing the other students.
14. The father had how many brothers and sisters?
15. Why did Carla's mother not drive her to school?
(a) She was too busy to drive her daughter.
(b) She prefered the bus.
(c) She didn't know how to drive.
(d) She wanted Carla to walk for the excercise.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who taught at the Catholic school that the girls first attended in New York?
2. What did Mrs. Fanning do after the dancers were almost finished with their floor show?
3. What story was Yolanda reading when her cousin tried to get her attention with the clay snake?
4. What was confusing to Carla as she entered the 7th grade?
5. When the police questioned Carla about the man in the car, who did they insist answer all the questions?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)