|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Laura offer the men who were keeping watch at her gate when she arrived home?
(a) Something cold to drink.
(b) Umbrellas for shade.
(d) A chair to rest.
2. What game did the cousins play on the patio after their morning swim?
(a) Sidewalk chalk art.
(c) Hop Scotch.
3. What kind of drills did Yolanda have in the 4th grade?
(a) Air raid drills.
(b) Hurricane drills.
(c) Snow emergency drills.
(d) Tornado drills.
4. What did Sandi want as a souvenir from the restaurant?
(a) A picture with the dancers.
(b) A Barbie doll dressed as a Flaminco dancer.
(c) A fake flower.
(d) An outfit like the dancers.
5. How did the other students react to Carla in her new school in the 7th grade?
(a) A gang of boys taunted her.
(b) The girls teased her about her clothes.
(c) They ignored her.
(d) The girls loved her long braided hair.
6. At the restaurant, what did Sandi do to pass the time?
(a) Enjoyed the dancers.
(b) Flirted with a young waiter.
(c) Ate all her food.
(d) Talked with her sisiters.
7. Why did Carla's mother not drive her to school?
(a) She didn't know how to drive.
(b) She prefered the bus.
(c) She wanted Carla to walk for the excercise.
(d) She was too busy to drive her daughter.
8. The evening that the Garcias went to the restaurant to meet the Fannings, how did they get there?
(a) In a cab.
(b) By bus.
(c) By subway.
(d) Their father drove them.
9. Which cousin was Yolanda paired up with at their home in the Dominican Republic?
10. Whose property was next to the de la Torre compound?
(a) The Garcia's compound.
(b) Uncle Tios compound.
(c) The dictator's daughter and son-in-law.
(d) The centro - downtown area.
11. What kind of dancers were at the restaurant where the Fannings took the Garcias?
(a) Polka dancers.
(b) Can-Can dancers.
(c) Flamenco dancers.
(d) Ballroom dancers.
12. What did Carla find under the Christmas tree on Christmas morning?
(a) New clothes.
(b) A new book.
(c) A baby doll.
(d) Another mechanical bank.
13. What did Gladys want from Carla?
(a) Her mechanical bank.
(b) Her book.
(c) Her new doll.
(d) Her drum.
14. What did La Bruja do almost daily to annoy the Garcias?
(a) Told their father that the girls were too loud.
(b) Accosted the girls' mother and told her to go back to where she came from.
(c) She sent Alfredo to complain about the noise.
(d) Yelled at the girls as they entered the building.
15. What did Carla's father tell her about Gladys?
(a) That she was dishonest.
(b) That she couldn't be a friend.
(c) That she was a liar.
(d) That she couldn't be trusted.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Dona Charito meet her husband?
2. What did the father keep in his hiding place?
3. Who was talking on the television in the chapter "Snow" and, in Yolanda's mind, was looking worried?
4. Why were Yolanda's mother and aunts concerned with her playmate?
5. The father had how many brothers and sisters?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)