|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Nivea think the girls were lucky?
(a) Because when their father returned from a trip he always brought them presents.
(b) Because their yard was so pretty.
(c) Because they lived in a beautiful house.
(d) Because they could swim every morning.
2. What happened to the Human Body at the end of the chapter?
(a) The dogs chewed the parts until they couldn't be recognized.
(b) Mundin gave it to Yolanda and she played with it all the time.
(c) It was put away in a closet and never played with.
(d) The grandmother took it away from both children.
3. Who was talking on the television in the chapter "Snow" and, in Yolanda's mind, was looking worried?
(a) President Kennedy.
(b) Her father.
(c) The Cuban president.
(d) Sister Zoe.
4. Why did the bank get rusty?
(a) The island air made it rust.
(b) It was left out overnight in the rain.
(c) It was buried in the dirt.
(d) It was played with all the time.
5. When Sandi was startled by the man, what happened?
(a) She fell off the chair and broke her arm.
(b) She fell off her perch and broke her leg.
(c) She screamed and fainted.
(d) He tripped over a garden hose.
6. What did Carla think of the yearly celebration of coming to America?
(a) It was great and she loved the cake.
(b) It was celebrating the day they lost everything.
(c) She couldn't remember coming to America.
(d) She totally understood the fuss.
7. Who scolded Carla and told her she should not be in the maid's room?
8. What did La Bruja do almost daily to annoy the Garcias?
(a) Yelled at the girls as they entered the building.
(b) Accosted the girls' mother and told her to go back to where she came from.
(c) Told their father that the girls were too loud.
(d) She sent Alfredo to complain about the noise.
9. At the beginning of the chapter Blood of the Conquistadores, who came up the driveway at the Garcia's house?
(a) The dictator.
(b) Two men dressed in khakis.
(c) Four men dressed in suits.
(d) Men with guns.
10. When Carla reached the 7th grade, what did the nun at school suggest about her schooling?
(a) That Carla should not go to school.
(b) That Carla go to a private school.
(c) That Carla skip the 7th grade.
(d) That Carla should stay back a year and repeat grade six.
11. At the end of the chapter, what happened when Carla put a coin in the bank?
(a) It got stuck, halfway up, halfway down.
(b) Father returned it to the store in New York.
(c) It was taken away and she never saw it again.
(d) It was given to her sister.
12. What expression was Carla so taken with that she used it over and over?
(a) Swan song.
(b) Too cool.
(c) By heart.
(d) My friend.
13. What gift did the father bring for the girls when he returned from America?
(a) Red boots.
(b) Dolls in costumes.
(d) Mechanical banks.
14. What dance did the girls' parents dance at the Christmas party?
(a) The bolero.
(b) The monkey.
(c) The tango.
(d) The Jitterbug.
15. When Carla approached the window of the strange car on her way home from school, what did she discover?
(a) That she knew the make of the car right away.
(b) That she was able to give directions without faltering.
(c) That the driver was naked from the waist down.
(d) That she spoke English better than she thought.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the father's hiding place from the secret police?
2. Where did the grandparents travel to often?
3. Where was Yolanda seated in her 4th grade class?
4. What did Sandi see when her father and Mrs. Fanning accompanied her to the restroom?
5. Who is Tia Mimi?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)