|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Papito, the grandfather, do to make the government not like him very much?
(a) He staged a takeover of the government.
(b) He rebelled against the government.
(c) He resigned his United Nations post.
(d) He joined the CIA.
2. What expression was Carla so taken with that she used it over and over?
(a) My friend.
(b) Swan song.
(c) Too cool.
(d) By heart.
3. Why did the bank get rusty?
(a) It was left out overnight in the rain.
(b) It was buried in the dirt.
(c) The island air made it rust.
(d) It was played with all the time.
4. What happened to Gladys when the parents discovered that she had something belonging to Carla?
(a) She was given a vacation.
(b) She was fired.
(c) She was transferred to laundry duty.
(d) She was transferred to lawn duty.
5. How did Carla's mother react to her being accosted on the way home from school?
(a) She called her husband.
(b) She called the police.
(c) She yelled at Carla.
(d) She sent her back to the island.
6. What did Victor offer to the secret police to end the trouble with the Garcia's?
(a) He agreed to defend the Garcias.
(b) He offered to escort them from their home.
(c) He offered the police money.
(d) He agreed to have the Garcias out of the country in 48 hours.
7. Who taught at the Catholic school that the girls first attended in New York?
(a) The Sisters of Charity.
(b) Public school teachers.
(c) Their mother.
(d) One of their aunts.
8. Why did Yolanda like her 4th grade teacher so much?
(a) She said that Yolanda was a pretty name.
(b) She didn't make Yolanda do any work.
(c) She spoke Spanish.
(d) She was pretty.
9. What was the country's slogan in the Dominican Republic?
(a) "Trujillo is your friend."
(b) "Country pride."
(c) "God and Trujillo are taking care of you."
(d) "Become wealthy with Trujillo."
10. What kind of dancers were at the restaurant where the Fannings took the Garcias?
(a) Ballroom dancers.
(b) Can-Can dancers.
(c) Polka dancers.
(d) Flamenco dancers.
11. Which cousin was Yolanda paired up with at their home in the Dominican Republic?
12. Where did the Fannings take the Garcias for dinner?
(a) To the Crystal Palace.
(b) To a supper club.
(c) To a Chinese restaurant.
(d) To a Spanish restaurant.
13. At the restaurant, what did Sandi do to pass the time?
(a) Enjoyed the dancers.
(b) Ate all her food.
(c) Talked with her sisiters.
(d) Flirted with a young waiter.
14. What did Mundin want Yolanda to show him as a trade for the clay?
(a) That she is a girl.
(b) Her new book.
(c) How she curled her hair.
(d) How she could roll the clay.
15. When Carla reached the 7th grade, what did the nun at school suggest about her schooling?
(a) That Carla should not go to school.
(b) That Carla should stay back a year and repeat grade six.
(c) That Carla skip the 7th grade.
(d) That Carla go to a private school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Carla's schooling after the incident with the man in the car?
2. What story was Yolanda reading when her cousin tried to get her attention with the clay snake?
3. What did Yolanda's teacher tell her about snow.
4. What did Sandi want as a souvenir from the restaurant?
5. What did Mrs. Fanning do at dinner that angered her husband?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)