|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is tacked to the central post in the cantina where Yolanda stops?
(a) A Coca-Cola poster.
(b) A no trespassing sign.
(c) A poster of Palmolive soap.
(d) The menu.
2. Who appeared at all of Yolanda's poetry readings?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her boyfriend.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her sisters.
3. On the island, what was different about the patio where men and women sit and talk?
(a) The patio had uncomfortable furniture.
(b) The patio had a mosquito net.
(c) The patio was segregated, men on one side, women on the other.
(d) The patio needed painting.
4. What kind of flowers did John bring home to Yolanda?
5. What happens to Sofia's father as the evening wears on at the party?
(a) He becomes removed.
(b) He gets drunk and laughs loudly.
(c) He starts kissing all the girls.
(d) He starts singing.
6. What did John always do with his clothes?
(a) Washed them in the bathtub.
(b) Washed them in the sink.
(c) Placed them over the chair.
(d) Folded them neatly.
7. What was the hidden agenda behind the four girls spending summers in the Dominican Republic?
(a) To marry Dominican boys.
(b) To learn to dress better.
(c) To learn to do hair and makeup.
(d) To know Dominican ways for women.
8. What did Rudy bring to Yolanda when they met later in life?
(a) A pen.
(b) A bottle of wine.
(c) A book of sonnets.
(d) Chinese food.
9. What does Sofia do that offends her father?
(a) Puts her finger in his ear.
(b) Runs her tongue in his ear.
(c) Sings a song with naughty lyrics.
(d) Puts a sloppy kiss on his head.
10. What did Yolanda think about the speech her mother wrote for her school program?
(a) It was her mother's last invention.
(b) Her mother was cool.
(c) Her mother was a terrible writer.
(d) Her mother was trying to embarrass her.
11. How many years pass when Yolanda and Rudy meet later in life?
(a) 25 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 10 years.
12. What name do the sisters give to Otto?
(a) The camp counselor.
(c) The saint.
(d) The sympathizer.
13. Why did John call Yolanda Violet?
(a) That was her favorite flower.
(b) That was her least favorite color.
(c) That was her favorite color.
(d) After "shrinking violet" when she started seeing a shrink.
14. Why did Yolanda's parents become concerned about her?
(a) She talked all the time.
(b) She wouldn't eat.
(c) She locked herself in her room and wrote.
(d) She started dating her teacher.
15. In the American school, who was the Hoover girl?
(a) Her parents owned Hoover Vacuum Cleaner company.
(b) Eleanor Hoover, daughter of the mayor of New York.
(c) The daughter of J. Edgar Hoover.
(d) A girl on a poster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the punishment for the owner of the marijuana?
2. What colors did the mother use for her color code?
3. What was the assignment that Rudy and Yolanda worked on together?
4. What does the father finally end up doing in New York that gives him professional success?
5. Who did the marijuana belong to?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)