|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Sandra end up in a mental institution?
(a) She wrote a disturbing letter home.
(b) She called her mother and she couldn't stop crying.
(c) She tried to starve herself to death.
(d) She got really fat.
2. What is Manual Gustavo's biggest flaw?
(a) He is a mini tyrant.
(b) He can't drive very well at night.
(c) He does not speak good English.
(d) He does not smell good.
3. What was the title of the autobiographical paper that the oldest daughter wrote?
(a) "How my Mother Hovered."
(b) "How I Hated my Mother."
(c) "I Was There Too."
(d) "My Mother, the Saint."
4. What kind of lists did John make?
(a) Grocery lists.
(b) Lists of names.
(c) For and against lists.
(d) Flaw lists.
5. Why is Sofia throwing the party for her father?
(a) She wants to see her mother.
(b) To reconcile.
(c) Because she loves him.
(d) It's her turn.
6. On the island, what was different about the patio where men and women sit and talk?
(a) The patio had uncomfortable furniture.
(b) The patio needed painting.
(c) The patio was segregated, men on one side, women on the other.
(d) The patio had a mosquito net.
7. What did Yolanda think about the speech her mother wrote for her school program?
(a) Her mother was cool.
(b) It was her mother's last invention.
(c) Her mother was trying to embarrass her.
(d) Her mother was a terrible writer.
8. What hangs from the belts of the two men who help Yolanda when her car breaks down?
(b) Weed eaters.
9. What is the mother's first name?
10. What cured Yolanda?
11. What was the punishment for the owner of the marijuana?
(a) To marry a man of her mother's choosing.
(b) To get a job and work off her debt to her parents.
(c) To return home immediately.
(d) To stay on the Island with the family.
12. Why did Yolanda's parents become concerned about her?
(a) She started dating her teacher.
(b) She wouldn't eat.
(c) She talked all the time.
(d) She locked herself in her room and wrote.
13. What shocked Yolanda about the appearance of Rudy's parents?
(a) They looked so young.
(b) They didn't look like Rudy.
(c) They looked older than her parents.
(d) His mother had red hair.
14. What do the candles on the cake represent?
(a) The 5 girls cousins.
(b) The 5 cities where relatives live.
(c) The 5 years Yolanda has been gone.
(d) The 5 aunts and their families.
15. As adults, what do the daughters still come home for?
(a) Their father's birthday.
(b) A visit from island relatives.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A birth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Yolanda meet Rudy Elmenhurst?
2. What are the names the girls called their mother to make fun of her leisure activity?
3. What nicknames does the grandfather give to the baby?
4. What did the girls take turns being?
5. In the American school, who was the Hoover girl?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)