|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were the girls when the marijuana was found?
(a) Away at school.
(b) Travelling abroad.
(c) In their room.
(d) On the island.
2. Who appeared at all of Yolanda's poetry readings?
(a) Her boyfriend.
(b) Her sisters.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
3. Who found the stash of marijuana?
(a) The girls' mother.
(b) The Cuban super.
(c) The maid Primitiva.
(d) The girls' father.
4. Where did Lucinda and Mundin take the sisters to show them a good time?
(a) To Motel Los Encantos, a whore house.
(b) To a cantina.
(c) To a dance hall.
(d) To an arcade.
5. Why did Sandra end up in a mental institution?
(a) She tried to starve herself to death.
(b) She called her mother and she couldn't stop crying.
(c) She wrote a disturbing letter home.
(d) She got really fat.
6. As adults, what do the daughters still come home for?
(a) A visit from island relatives.
(b) A birth.
(c) A wedding.
(d) Their father's birthday.
7. What did Carla do to make the sneakers red?
(a) Painted them with red nail polish.
(b) Painted them with spray paint.
(c) Dyed them red.
(d) Cut her finger and dyed them with her blood.
8. What kind of lists did John make?
(a) For and against lists.
(b) Lists of names.
(c) Flaw lists.
(d) Grocery lists.
9. What was the punishment for the owner of the marijuana?
(a) To stay on the Island with the family.
(b) To marry a man of her mother's choosing.
(c) To get a job and work off her debt to her parents.
(d) To return home immediately.
10. When Yolanda buys a personalized key chain, what name does she pick?
11. What was the mother always doing in her spare time in America?
(b) Inventing things.
(d) Going to museums.
12. What do the candles on the cake represent?
(a) The 5 years Yolanda has been gone.
(b) The 5 cities where relatives live.
(c) The 5 aunts and their families.
(d) The 5 girls cousins.
13. What did Rudy bring to Yolanda when they met later in life?
(a) A book of sonnets.
(b) A pen.
(c) Chinese food.
(d) A bottle of wine.
14. What is tacked to the central post in the cantina where Yolanda stops?
(a) A no trespassing sign.
(b) A poster of Palmolive soap.
(c) The menu.
(d) A Coca-Cola poster.
15. What shocked Yolanda about the appearance of Rudy's parents?
(a) His mother had red hair.
(b) They looked so young.
(c) They didn't look like Rudy.
(d) They looked older than her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sofia do that offends her father?
2. What happens to Sofia's father as the evening wears on at the party?
3. In the first chapter of the novel, what does Yolanda want to do that shocks her relatives?
4. Why did John call Yolanda Violet?
5. What was Yolanda and John's relationship like in the beginning?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)