|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Manual Gustavo look like?
(a) The dictator.
(c) President Kennedy.
(d) Mr. Fanning.
2. When Yolanda buys a personalized key chain, what name does she pick?
3. Who was the father's favorite artist to see when he went to the museum?
(d) El Greco.
4. How many years pass when Yolanda and Rudy meet later in life?
(a) 25 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 10 years.
5. What did the mother always call the girls?
(a) The four girls.
(b) By their names.
(c) By the color of their dresses.
(d) Her babies.
6. Which sister has a baby?
7. Why did Yolanda's parents become concerned about her?
(a) She talked all the time.
(b) She started dating her teacher.
(c) She wouldn't eat.
(d) She locked herself in her room and wrote.
8. In the first chapter of the novel, what does Yolanda want to do that shocks her relatives?
(a) Swim naked in the pool.
(b) Take a jog in the city.
(c) Take a drive by herself.
(d) Sunbathe in the back yard.
9. How did Yolanda tell John she was leaving him?
(a) She wrote a note.
(b) She told him to his face.
(c) She called him on the phone.
(d) She wrote a sonnet.
10. What did Carla do to make the sneakers red?
(a) Painted them with spray paint.
(b) Painted them with red nail polish.
(c) Cut her finger and dyed them with her blood.
(d) Dyed them red.
11. What does Sofia do that offends her father?
(a) Puts her finger in his ear.
(b) Puts a sloppy kiss on his head.
(c) Runs her tongue in his ear.
(d) Sings a song with naughty lyrics.
12. Who found the stash of marijuana?
(a) The girls' father.
(b) The Cuban super.
(c) The girls' mother.
(d) The maid Primitiva.
13. When Rudy and Yolanda wrote together, what was the outcome?
(a) A beautiful sonnet.
(b) They got nothing done.
(c) A pornographic poem.
(d) An amazing story about a young girl.
14. Who appeared at all of Yolanda's poetry readings?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sisters.
(c) Her boyfriend.
(d) Her father.
15. What do the candles on the cake represent?
(a) The 5 aunts and their families.
(b) The 5 girls cousins.
(c) The 5 cities where relatives live.
(d) The 5 years Yolanda has been gone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the hidden agenda behind the four girls spending summers in the Dominican Republic?
2. What did Sofia's father find in her room when she was young woman that caused a stir?
3. What did Yolanda think about the speech her mother wrote for her school program?
4. What hangs from the belts of the two men who help Yolanda when her car breaks down?
5. What does Yolanda want to find and eat on the island in the first chapter?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)