Part 1, 1989-1972, Antojos
• The novel opens with Yolanda returning to the Dominican Republic after five years in the United States.
• A party is being thrown in her honor.
• Yolanda's aunts all wear gray and black, the colors of mourning.
• The cousins are shocked at Yolanda's appearance, and she is compared to her cousin Lucinda who looks like a Dominican magazine model.
• They aunts are telling stories too, but their stories all involve a servant or chauffeur, giving the impression that they are wealthy.
• The cake has candles for each of the cities on the island where the relatives live and the children fight over which city they will eat.
• Yolanda tells the aunts she wants to take a drive in the country to find some guavas.
• The aunts are shocked and warn her that women do not drive alone on the Island.
• Yolanda is secretly thinking of staying...
This section contains 3,003 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)