|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What endeavor is the source of Gandhi's joy and strength?
2. The answer to number 84 creates the mask that people call their personalities and hides what?
3. What does Patanjali say?
4. The final chapter Eknath Easwaran writes is focused on the daily habits and the things that defined the personality of Gandhi as what?
5. Easwaran explains that Gandhi was quoting what from Hindu scripture?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is a mantra important?
2. What is meant by detachment?
3. Who came to see Gandhi? Why did they come to see him?
4. What role did Kasturbai play in Gandhi's personal transformation?
5. On what was Gandhi focused? What do the people who gravitated to Gandhi reveal about him?
6. According to Sri Krishna, what does the wise person's love for the Lord of Love do?
7. When and how did Gandhi's process of learning to eliminate his fear start?
8. Who were most of Gandhi's followers? What did he say about them?
9. What is the purpose of the final chapter?
10. How does Easwaran closes this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One must learn to eliminate fear.
Part 1) Why must one learn to eliminate fear? How does Gandhi recommend doing this?
Part 2) How is this elimination of fear related to the major religions Gandhi studies?
Part 3) How does a person with no fear compare to one with fear? Do you believe this fearless person is better? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Gandhi established ashrams.
Part 1) What is an ashram? Why does he establish them?
Part 2) How does he benefit from them? How do others benefit from them?
Part 3) How could an ashram be created in our own culture today? How would it benefit our society?
Essay Topic 3
Gandhi studied three major world religions.
Part 1) What are these three major religions? Why does he choose these religions?
Part 2) What do they all have in common? Why is this important?
Part 3) Which was most important and relevant to Gandhi? Why? Which is most relevant to you? Why?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)