|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gandhi was asked to explain in three words the secret of his life, what did he say?
2. How did Gandhi feel about meditation?
3. The elephant holding a piece of bamboo was enough to quiet their trunks the same way what is enough to still the busy-ness of a wandering and restless mind?
4. The idea was detachment from the result of one's actions, so that one's focus is on what?
5. Gandhi's secretary, Mahadev Desai, answered the question of how Gandhi spoke so eloquently with no preparation or notes by explaining what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gandhi do to make his teaching more accessible?
2. What role did Kasturbai play in Gandhi's personal transformation?
3. What are things that Gandhi does in the company of others?
4. What is meant by detachment?
5. Who were most of Gandhi's followers? What did he say about them?
6. Besides detachment, what is another guiding principle from the Gita?
7. What would happen that reveals how Gandhi was revered?
8. On what was Gandhi focused? What do the people who gravitated to Gandhi reveal about him?
9. How do most people see life?
10. When and how did Gandhi's process of learning to eliminate his fear start?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A train trip departing from Maritzburg, South Africa was transformative for Gandhi.
Part 1) How was it transformative? Why was he transformed in this way?
Part 2) When did he act upon this transformation? Why did he act upon it at this point?
Part 3) How might you have reacted to this experience? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Gandhi studied law in England.
Part 1) Why did he study law in England? How did he change as a result of this experience?
Part 2) What else did Gandhi study while in England? Why does he study this? What does this reveal about Gandhi?
Part 3) How did this time in England prepare him for his future endeavors?
Essay Topic 3
Gandhi's marriage to Kasturbai was arranged when he was thirteen.
Part 1) Is this unusual? Why or why not? How might this affect one's life at thirteen? How would your life be different if you were married at thirteen?
Part 2) How did these two treat each other? What might be expected of two thirteen-year-olds? What is unusual about this couple? Why?
Part 3) How did these two become an inspiration for couples around the world? What have you learned from this couple?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)