|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Gandhi experiment with variations on vegetarian dishes?
2. How did Gandhi feel about meditation?
3. The idea was detachment from the result of one's actions, so that one's focus is on what?
4. In order to make his teaching more accessible, Gandhi established what?
5. Who is Patanjali?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the final chapter?
2. How do most people see life?
3. What do Gandhi and his wife do for Indians?
4. What did Gandhi often do in the evening?
5. What would happen that reveals how Gandhi was revered?
6. Besides detachment, what is another guiding principle from the Gita?
7. On what was Gandhi focused? What do the people who gravitated to Gandhi reveal about him?
8. What role did Kasturbai play in Gandhi's personal transformation?
9. How does detachment help Gandhi?
10. What does a union with the Lord of Love do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gandhi established ashrams.
Part 1) What is an ashram? Why does he establish them?
Part 2) How does he benefit from them? How do others benefit from them?
Part 3) How could an ashram be created in our own culture today? How would it benefit our society?
Essay Topic 2
Self-Satyagraha is discussed.
Part 1) What is this type of satyagraha? To what is it compared?
Part 2) How can one begin a self-satyagraha? How can this benefit one's life?
Part 3) How different would your life be if you began a self-satyagraha? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The Salt Satyagraha of 1930 was significant.
Part 1) What was this? Why is it significant?
Part 2) Why does this take place? Do you believe this satyagraha was necessary? Why or why not? How effective was it? Why?
Part 3) to what other satyagrahas does this lead? How does it affect the lives of those in India, as well as around the world?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)