|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nagler refers to the Berkley documentary called Gandhi's India in which one of the women interviewed praised Gandhi's view as one from which there are no limits to ______________, and Nagler praises the clarity with which Gandhi's life demonstrated the point.
2. He was such an irresistible fund-raiser for the oppressed in India that even who gave him money for his cause?
3. What did Gandhi's uncle suggest he do?
4. Seeing that his client was clearly right, and a long court battle would benefit no one but the lawyers, what was Gandhi determined to do?
5. Gandhi coined the word ____________ to describe the Dalits (the oppressed), to call them the children of God, in order to remind the higher classes that their actions toward the oppressed was a part of their worship of God.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gandhi feel about English customs? What did he do with these feelings?
2. What does Easwaran describe in the first chapter?
3. How does Gandhi go about changing India?
4. What is one of the most potent moments in Gandhi's life?
5. What intervened in Gandhi's life after graduation and his return to India?
6. What does Gandhi call the new form of resistance? What does it mean?
7. How did Gandhi feel about volunteering? How did these feelings influence him?
8. How is Gandhi irresistible to followers?
9. How did Gandhi find himself when he first arrived in England?
10. What is ahimsa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gandhi's marriage to Kasturbai was arranged when he was thirteen.
Part 1) Is this unusual? Why or why not? How might this affect one's life at thirteen? How would your life be different if you were married at thirteen?
Part 2) How did these two treat each other? What might be expected of two thirteen-year-olds? What is unusual about this couple? Why?
Part 3) How did these two become an inspiration for couples around the world? What have you learned from this couple?
Essay Topic 2
Gandhi studied three major world religions.
Part 1) What are these three major religions? Why does he choose these religions?
Part 2) What do they all have in common? Why is this important?
Part 3) Which was most important and relevant to Gandhi? Why? Which is most relevant to you? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Gandhi's return home was a struggle.
Part 1) Why was his return home a struggle? How did he handle this?
Part 2) How might Gandhi have handled this struggle later in life? Why?
Part 3) How does this struggle lead Gandhi to be the man as the world knows him?
Part 4) What does this say about the importance of one's struggles?
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)