|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gandhi sulked in his homesickness until when?
2. How did Gandhi react to this British passenger?
3. Upon his return from his service to the British and witnessing the Zulu Rebellion, he discovered what about the Transvaal government?
4. What manifested itself in proud and oppressive rule over Katurbai until her tender and forgiving example made her one of his most effective teachers?
5. He was also confronted with a form of prejudice against him for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gandhi call the new form of resistance? What does it mean?
2. What analogy does Rambha give?
3. How can Gandhi's beliefs be used in a family?
4. What is the purpose of the final chapter?
5. How was Imperialism put on trial?
6. What is one of the most potent moments in Gandhi's life?
7. What happens when Gandhi reduced himself to zero?
8. How did Gandhi feel about English customs? What did he do with these feelings?
9. What role did Kasturbai play in Gandhi's personal transformation?
10. What is meant by detachment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gandhi saw a link between violence and cowardice.
Part 1) Describe this link. What link exists with those who are non-violent? Why? How can Gandhi prove this?
Part 2) Would you agree with the connections Gandhi makes? Why or why not?
Part 3) How are Gandhi's beliefs supported by his religious research? What other historical figures can be used to support these connections made by Gandhi?
Essay Topic 2
Gandhi's marriage to Kasturbai was arranged when he was thirteen.
Part 1) Is this unusual? Why or why not? How might this affect one's life at thirteen? How would your life be different if you were married at thirteen?
Part 2) How did these two treat each other? What might be expected of two thirteen-year-olds? What is unusual about this couple? Why?
Part 3) How did these two become an inspiration for couples around the world? What have you learned from this couple?
Essay Topic 3
In South Africa, Gandhi's attitude toward law changed.
Part 1) What was Gandhi doing in South Africa? How was his attitude changed regarding law?
Part 2) How did the discovery about law change other aspects of Gandhi's life? Why?
Part 3) How did his experiences in England prepare him for this change in South Africa? How did this change guide him down a new path?
This section contains 2,333 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)