|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The position was as Dada Abdulla's lawyer and a role as what?
2. In the first chapter, Easwaran describes the contrast between Gandhi as a youth to what?
3. Was jail problematic for Gandhi?
4. He made the determination then and there that he would do what?
5. How many years from that day did Gandhi's determination blossom into inspiration to organize his first mass non-violent resistance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Easwaran open this chapter?
2. How does Gandhi go about changing India?
3. How does Gandhi deal with the Black Act?
4. What happens when Gandhi meets the leader of the Transvaal government?
5. How did Gandhi feel about volunteering? How did these feelings influence him?
6. What is one of the most potent moments in Gandhi's life?
7. How was Imperialism put on trial?
8. How did Gandhi find himself when he first arrived in England?
9. With what was Gandhi confronted in South Africa? How did he deal with this?
10. What does Gandhi's uncle do for him after high school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gandhi's marriage to Kasturbai was arranged when he was thirteen.
Part 1) Is this unusual? Why or why not? How might this affect one's life at thirteen? How would your life be different if you were married at thirteen?
Part 2) How did these two treat each other? What might be expected of two thirteen-year-olds? What is unusual about this couple? Why?
Part 3) How did these two become an inspiration for couples around the world? What have you learned from this couple?
Essay Topic 2
Gandhi's return home was a struggle.
Part 1) Why was his return home a struggle? How did he handle this?
Part 2) How might Gandhi have handled this struggle later in life? Why?
Part 3) How does this struggle lead Gandhi to be the man as the world knows him?
Part 4) What does this say about the importance of one's struggles?
Essay Topic 3
Gandhi established ashrams.
Part 1) What is an ashram? Why does he establish them?
Part 2) How does he benefit from them? How do others benefit from them?
Part 3) How could an ashram be created in our own culture today? How would it benefit our society?
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)