|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Britain had forbidden Indians to gather their own salt, requiring instead that they buy it at a premium from British sources. So, on Gandhi's signal, all of India would simply walk to the ocean and pick up the salt that laid there for the taking and buy and sell it locally from each other, as if the law had never been enacted. What was this called?
(a) The Salt Collection of 1925.
(b) The Salt Selling of 1920.
(c) The Salt Wars of 1935.
(d) The Salt Satyagraha of 1930.
2. The police reaction to the Indian response was what?
(c) Instant and violent.
3. Gandhi acted out of compassion for both the British and the Indians for what reason?
(a) He was both British and Indian.
(b) To point out the flaws in their system.
(c) He loved both the British and Indian ideals.
(d) To point out how valuable both systems were.
4. When a man does everything in worship, Easwaran explains, everywhere he goes is what?
(a) His world.
(b) His family.
(c) A temple.
(d) His home.
5. How successful was Gandhi in Bombay?
(a) Very successful.
(b) Somewhat successful.
(c) Not very successful.
(d) He did not practice law in Bombay.
Short Answer Questions
1. Easwaran opens his chapter describing the Way of Love by recounting what story?
2. What does the author say about Gandhi as a boy?
3. Leaving Kasturbai again, this time with two sons, Gandhi left for South Africa in the hopes of what?
4. Gandhi sulked in his homesickness until when?
5. He went into beautiful temples and told the people what?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what was Gandhi confronted in South Africa? How did he deal with this?
2. What does Gandhi call the new form of resistance? What does it mean?
3. What does Easwaran describe in the first chapter?
4. How did Gandhi come to be married to Kasturbai?
5. What requires courage regarding this movement against the Black Act?
6. What was different about Gandhi's behavior compared to other men in his position?
7. What was the Salt Satyagraha of 1930?
8. What is Gandhi's reputation at this time in South Africa? Why?
9. What happens when Gandhi meets the leader of the Transvaal government?
10. How did Gandhi find himself when he first arrived in England?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)