|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gandhi sulked in his homesickness until when?
(a) A fellow Indian pointed out that the best things to be learned in England were English customs.
(b) A British student pointed out that the thing to be learne in England was English custom.
(c) A British student told him to go back home.
(d) A fellow Indian told him to go back home.
2. When his rebellion brought Gandhi into the presence of the leader of the Transvaal government himself, what did Gandhi do?
(a) He told him clearly what he was doing and why.
(b) He mocked the leader.
(c) He stayed silent.
(d) He lied to the leader.
3. In Gandhi's view of human evolution, he saw what as the dharma of modern human beings--as the central law of their being--and violence as the dharma of the animals of the jungle?
4. When the passenger summoned the police, what happened?
(a) They arrested him.
(b) They left him sitting alone at Maritzburg Station.
(c) They left him alone in his seat.
(d) They physically moved him to third class.
5. Easwaran opens his chapter describing the Way of Love by recounting what story?
(a) A transformative vacation Gandhi took to India.
(b) A transformative trip Gandhi took by train.
(c) A transformative trip Gandhi took by boat.
(d) A transformative vacation Gandhi took to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. Britain had forbidden Indians to gather their own salt, requiring instead that they buy it at a premium from British sources. So, on Gandhi's signal, all of India would simply walk to the ocean and pick up the salt that laid there for the taking and buy and sell it locally from each other, as if the law had never been enacted. What was this called?
2. What did Gandhi call the new form of resistance?
3. Following a period of complete submission to all of the nuances of English dress and society, Gandhi concluded that the practice was doing what to him?
4. When a British passenger discovered him there, what did he demand that Gandhi do?
5. Gandhi met with Lord Irwin to negotiate, and made a point of taking a tiny bag of salt from his cloak and told the viceroy that he would drink his tea with salt in remembrance of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Salt Satyagraha of 1930?
2. How did Gandhi feel about English customs? What did he do with these feelings?
3. What happens when Gandhi meets the leader of the Transvaal government?
4. What is ahimsa?
5. How does Gandhi deal with the Black Act?
6. With what was Gandhi confronted in South Africa? How did he deal with this?
7. How does Easwaran open this chapter?
8. What did Gandhi do when his spirituality increased?
9. What did Gandhi learn about the law while in South Africa?
10. What is the Black Act? What does Gandhi think of it?
This section contains 1,481 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)