|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Mahadev Desai read the words of the Bhagavad Gita describing the man who has let ________________ shape his being and shed all selfish desire to a gathering of followers, Easwaran was astonished to see the words become reality in the person of Mahatma Gandhi.
(a) Peace and hope.
(d) Selflessness and grace.
2. Easwaran opens his chapter describing the Way of Love by recounting what story?
(a) A transformative vacation Gandhi took to England.
(b) A transformative trip Gandhi took by train.
(c) A transformative vacation Gandhi took to India.
(d) A transformative trip Gandhi took by boat.
3. Gandhi sulked in his homesickness until when?
(a) A British student told him to go back home.
(b) A fellow Indian pointed out that the best things to be learned in England were English customs.
(c) A fellow Indian told him to go back home.
(d) A British student pointed out that the thing to be learne in England was English custom.
4. What is the only universal thing?
5. Part of what made Gandhi so very winsome was what?
(a) The extravagant life he led.
(b) His kind personality.
(c) The simplicity and poverty in which he continued to voluntarily live.
(d) His ability to give.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author comes from Gandhi's home and ethos, and sees the world from a perspective very like Gandhi's instead of through what?
2. Having promised his mother not to eat meat as the English did, Gandhi took up the scientific study of what?
3. Throughout these years of satyagraha in India, he continued to make friends and gain followers including who?
4. Following a period of complete submission to all of the nuances of English dress and society, Gandhi concluded that the practice was doing what to him?
5. Gandhi resolved to make a project of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Easwaran open this chapter?
2. How does Gandhi go about changing India?
3. With what was Gandhi confronted in South Africa? How did he deal with this?
4. How did Gandhi come to be married to Kasturbai?
5. What does Gandhi call the new form of resistance? What does it mean?
6. What was different about Gandhi's behavior compared to other men in his position?
7. How does Gandhi deal with the Black Act?
8. What is ahimsa?
9. How did Gandhi find himself when he first arrived in England?
10. What was the Salt Satyagraha of 1930?
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)