|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Beatrice tries to contact the following persons in her first telephone call:
(a) The school principal, Mr. Goodman, and Miss Hanley.
(b) The school principal and Janice Vickery's mother.
(c) The school principal and Janice Vickery.
(d) Mr. Goodman and Nanny.
2. During the final portion of Tillie's science presentation, what special effect is used?
(a) The sound of cats meowing is heard over the sound system, followed by the ringing of bells.
(b) Her voice is distorted and she sounds like an old woman.
(c) Part of her speech is reverberated electronically and deep pulses of music are added as the light focuses on Tillie's face.
(d) Beatrice's voice is intertwined with Tillie's as the sound of horses trotting can be heard in the background.
3. What is the purpose of the phone call that Beatrice initiates in Act 1?
(a) To discuss Nanny's health with a physician.
(b) To order marigold seeds.
(c) To express her concern about the marigold seeds her daughter Tillie brought home from school.
(d) To enroll in a real estate course.
4. Immediately following Janice's presentation at the science fair, the lights come up to reveal which of the following characters?
(a) Tillie giving her presentation.
(b) Nanny falling down the stairs.
(c) Ruth sneaking out of the house.
(d) Beatrice, who has been drinking.
5. At the end of Act 1, Ruth's emotions toward Tillie would be best described as:
(a) Scorn and disrespect.
(b) Pride and enthusiasm.
(c) Fear and loathing.
(d) Jealousy and anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beatrice takes a dramatic physical action following Dr. Berg's phone call. What is it?
2. What does Zindel state about Ruth's appearance at the beginning of Act 2?
3. Which character makes the following statement: "If you're just a little bit different in this world, they try to kill you off."
4. What does Beatrice do immediately after completing her second phone call in Act 2?
5. What is Beatrice's final line in the play?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)