|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the substance that Beatrice keeps in a small bottle in a chest of drawers?
(c) Lighter fluid.
2. As the final scene in Act 1 begins, what does Beatrice drop from the top of the stairs?
(a) Flower pots.
(c) Newspapers and junk.
3. Which of the following statements best summarizes the final scene of Act 1?
(a) It is an uplifting scene in which Beatrice takes a stand against cigarette smoking and drinking, and she promises her daughters that from now on, she is going to be a better mother.
(b) It is a frightening scene in which Nanny collapses at Beatrice's feet, Ruth has a seizure, and Tillie runs away from home.
(c) It is a humorous scene in which Beatrice rides a horse through the living room while shouting "my life rocks" through a megaphone.
(d) It is an emotionally charged scene in which Beatrice seems to have a breakthrough, as she realizes the unfair treatment she has been giving her daughter.
4. When one of the characters discusses the idea of opening a tea shop, which of the following desserts is mentioned?
5. What questionable activity does Beatrice allow Ruth to do?
(a) Set off firecrackers.
(b) Ride a horse backwards.
(c) Boat without a life jacket.
(d) Smoke cigarettes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What beverage does Beatrice prepare for Nanny?
2. In the final scene at the end of Act 1, what does Tillie carry in from the front door?
3. What does Beatrice drink while reading the newspaper?
4. What does Beatrice say she is going to do to Tillie's pet?
5. What is the setting of the play in the opening act?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)