|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ruth say when Beatrice is halfway through telling the story of her recurring nightmare?
(a) "That is the funniest nightmare I've ever heard."
(b) "That is the scariest dream I've ever heard."
(c) "That doesn't sound like a walk in the park."
(d) "That doesn't sound like a nightmare to me."
2. This character states: "You're looking at the original half-life!"
3. Which of the following statements best summarizes the final scene of Act 1?
(a) It is a humorous scene in which Beatrice rides a horse through the living room while shouting "my life rocks" through a megaphone.
(b) It is a frightening scene in which Nanny collapses at Beatrice's feet, Ruth has a seizure, and Tillie runs away from home.
(c) It is an uplifting scene in which Beatrice takes a stand against cigarette smoking and drinking, and she promises her daughters that from now on, she is going to be a better mother.
(d) It is an emotionally charged scene in which Beatrice seems to have a breakthrough, as she realizes the unfair treatment she has been giving her daughter.
4. Beatrice's story begins with the following exclamation:
(a) "Apples! Pears! Cu ... cumbers!"
(b) "Horses! Rats! Rab ... bits!"
(c) " Radium! Chloroform! Urani ... um!"
(d) "Marigolds! Sunflowers! Chrysanthe ... mums!"
5. What does Ruth see in the record room at school?
(a) Her attendance record.
(b) Her sister's test scores.
(c) Her history file.
(d) Her report card.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 1, Ruth's emotions toward Tillie would be best described as:
2. Which character appears for the first time when Beatrice is reading the newspaper?
3. Tillie's classmates laugh at her at which of the following school events?
4. What is one of the reasons that Tillie is teased by other students at school, according to Ruth?
5. What type of beverage is Beatrice drinking when the final scene in Act 1 begins?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)