|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character says that she receives fifty dollars a week?
2. Tillie makes the following announcement at the beginning of the final scene in Act 1:
(a) "Mother, Nanny is choking."
(b) "Mother, I am dropping out of school."
(c) "Mother, I sprained my ankle in gym today."
(d) "Mother, they want me to do something at school."
3. Beatrice makes a phone call in Act 1 to speak with the following person:
(b) Mr. Goodman.
(c) Dr. Berg.
4. At the end of Act 1, Ruth's emotions toward Tillie would be best described as:
(a) Scorn and disrespect.
(b) Pride and enthusiasm.
(c) Jealousy and anger.
(d) Fear and loathing.
5. Which of the following statements best summarizes the final scene of Act 1?
(a) It is a frightening scene in which Nanny collapses at Beatrice's feet, Ruth has a seizure, and Tillie runs away from home.
(b) It is a humorous scene in which Beatrice rides a horse through the living room while shouting "my life rocks" through a megaphone.
(c) It is an uplifting scene in which Beatrice takes a stand against cigarette smoking and drinking, and she promises her daughters that from now on, she is going to be a better mother.
(d) It is an emotionally charged scene in which Beatrice seems to have a breakthrough, as she realizes the unfair treatment she has been giving her daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of the play in the opening act?
2. Why is Ruth upset at first when she sees the flashlight?
3. What does Beatrice do in the first act to distract Ruth and avoid being upset?
4. How does Beatrice describe her daughter, Tillie?
5. Which of the following conditions did Beatrice's former husband suffer with?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)