|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mr. Mayo?
(a) Beatrice's father.
(b) A former boarder who lived with Beatrice.
(c) Ruth's gym teacher.
(d) Nanny's late husband.
2. Why is Beatrice sad after she tells Ruth the story of her recurring nightmares?
(a) She fears she will never get over her fear of rats.
(b) She fears that Tillie and Ruth will never forgive her.
(c) She fears that Nanny will pour a pot of boiling water on her head.
(d) She fears that there is nothing left for her in life.
3. Beatrice announces that she spent the day taking stock of her life. What does she determine?
(a) "I am so fortunate to have all of you in my life."
(b) "I've come up with zero."
(c) "I want to go back to school, earn a degree and buy us a new home."
(d) "I need to quit drinking and smoking."
4. What does Ruth say when Beatrice is halfway through telling the story of her recurring nightmare?
(a) "That is the scariest dream I've ever heard."
(b) "That doesn't sound like a walk in the park."
(c) "That doesn't sound like a nightmare to me."
(d) "That is the funniest nightmare I've ever heard."
5. Ruth has one of the following problems:
(a) She is unable to read.
(b) She has severe leg pain.
(c) She has an eating disorder.
(d) She has frequent nightmares.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following conditions did Beatrice's former husband suffer with?
2. Which of the following statements best summarizes the final scene of Act 1?
3. Who is the "goody-goody girl" according to Beatrice?
4. Which of the following statements best describes Ruth's performance in school, according to Beatrice?
5. Who is Mr. Alexander Brougham?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)