|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of the play in the opening act?
(a) A swimming pool.
(b) A dark room of wood.
(c) A field of marigolds.
(d) A school gymnasium.
2. Why is Ruth upset with Beatrice at the end of Act 1?
(a) She feels that Beatrice should have taken better care of Nanny.
(b) She feels that Beatrice's second-hand smoke has already done significant damage to the family members.
(c) She feels that Beatrice has always favored Tillie.
(d) She feels that Beatrice should be proud of Tillie for her accomplishment.
3. Beatrice states that Mr. Goodman must think she is running which of the following?
(a) A concentration camp.
(b) A nursing home.
(c) A family farm.
(d) A three-ring circus.
4. What is Beatrice wearing in her recurring nightmare?
(a) A swimsuit.
(b) Equestrian clothing.
(d) A lovely gown with jewels all over it.
5. Beatrice announces that she spent the day taking stock of her life. What does she determine?
(a) "I've come up with zero."
(b) "I need to quit drinking and smoking."
(c) "I am so fortunate to have all of you in my life."
(d) "I want to go back to school, earn a degree and buy us a new home."
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Beatrice describe her daughter, Tillie?
2. At the end of Act 1, Ruth's emotions toward Tillie would be best described as:
3. What excuse does Ruth give for getting out of gym class?
4. What is the substance that Beatrice keeps in a small bottle in a chest of drawers?
5. Beatrice's story begins with the following exclamation:
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)