|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements best summarizes the final scene of Act 1?
(a) It is an uplifting scene in which Beatrice takes a stand against cigarette smoking and drinking, and she promises her daughters that from now on, she is going to be a better mother.
(b) It is a frightening scene in which Nanny collapses at Beatrice's feet, Ruth has a seizure, and Tillie runs away from home.
(c) It is an emotionally charged scene in which Beatrice seems to have a breakthrough, as she realizes the unfair treatment she has been giving her daughter.
(d) It is a humorous scene in which Beatrice rides a horse through the living room while shouting "my life rocks" through a megaphone.
2. Tillie is engaged in the following activity while her mother reads the newspaper:
(a) Grooming a horse.
(b) Planting marigolds.
(c) Feeding Nanny her breakfast.
(d) Applying lipstick.
3. Which statements does Beatrice NOT make about Tillie?
(a) She isn't a pretty girl.
(b) She is the prettiest girl.
(c) She is half a test tube.
(d) She hardly says a word.
4. Which character says that she receives fifty dollars a week?
5. When Tillie makes her announcement at the beginning of the final scene in Act 1, what is Beatrice's response?
(a) "You deserve a great big hug!"
(b) "I always knew Nanny would die in this house."
(c) "Well, I want you to do something around here."
(d) "Nothing compares to a quality education."
Short Answer Questions
1. Nanny is best described as:
2. How does Beatrice's recurring nightmare end?
3. Who talks about opening a tea shop?
4. In the final scene at the end of Act 1, what beverage is Nanny drinking?
5. What is the substance that Beatrice keeps in a small bottle in a chest of drawers?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)