|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ruth upset at first when she sees the flashlight?
(a) It reminds her of the time when she and Tillie told ghost stories during a camping trip.
(b) It reminds her of the time when she heard a man die in her home.
(c) It reminds her of the time when a rat was lurking under the staircase.
(d) It reminds her of the time when the family's electricity was shut off because Beatrice had not paid the bill.
2. Beatrice takes a dramatic physical action following Dr. Berg's phone call. What is it?
(a) She throws her cigarettes into the trash.
(b) She flings her glass on the floor.
(c) She jumps onto the dining table and does a cheer.
(d) She jumps on a horse and rides into town.
3. Which of the following statements best summarizes the final scene of Act 1?
(a) It is an emotionally charged scene in which Beatrice seems to have a breakthrough, as she realizes the unfair treatment she has been giving her daughter.
(b) It is a frightening scene in which Nanny collapses at Beatrice's feet, Ruth has a seizure, and Tillie runs away from home.
(c) It is a humorous scene in which Beatrice rides a horse through the living room while shouting "my life rocks" through a megaphone.
(d) It is an uplifting scene in which Beatrice takes a stand against cigarette smoking and drinking, and she promises her daughters that from now on, she is going to be a better mother.
4. Who calls Beatrice at the end of Act 1?
(a) Dr. Berg, Beatrice's psychologist.
(b) Dr. Berg, Nanny's physician.
(c) Dr. Berg, the school principal.
(d) Dr. Berg, the school psychologist.
5. Which of the following animals appeared in a recurring nightmare that Beatrice used to have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Tillie makes the following announcement at the beginning of the final scene in Act 1:
2. Who is Mr. Alexander Brougham?
3. In Act 1, what does Ruth tell Mr. Goodman about her sister?
4. Ruth makes an announcement in the final scene of Act 1. What is this announcement?
5. Which of the following phrases best describes Nanny's relationship with Beatrice?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)