|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of the phone call that Beatrice receives in Act 1?
(a) Vegetable sales are slowing down.
(b) Nanny needs to have a medical procedure.
(c) Tillie's absence from school.
(d) The horses were let out of the stable.
2. Beatrice's story begins with the following exclamation:
(a) " Radium! Chloroform! Urani ... um!"
(b) "Apples! Pears! Cu ... cumbers!"
(c) "Marigolds! Sunflowers! Chrysanthe ... mums!"
(d) "Horses! Rats! Rab ... bits!"
3. As the final scene in Act 1 begins, what does Beatrice drop from the top of the stairs?
(a) Newspapers and junk.
(d) Flower pots.
4. Beatrice announces that she spent the day taking stock of her life. What does she determine?
(a) "I want to go back to school, earn a degree and buy us a new home."
(b) "I've come up with zero."
(c) "I am so fortunate to have all of you in my life."
(d) "I need to quit drinking and smoking."
5. Where does Tillie go immediately after the scream is heard in Act 1?
(a) To Nanny's room.
(b) To Beatrice's room.
(c) To Tillie's room.
(d) To the barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrice do in the first act to distract Ruth and avoid being upset?
2. Which character says that she receives fifty dollars a week?
3. What excuse does Ruth give for getting out of gym class?
4. Beatrice calls Nanny the following:
5. According to Beatrice, the " manure machine" is what kind of animal?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)