|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ruth say when Beatrice is halfway through telling the story of her recurring nightmare?
(a) "That is the funniest nightmare I've ever heard."
(b) "That doesn't sound like a walk in the park."
(c) "That is the scariest dream I've ever heard."
(d) "That doesn't sound like a nightmare to me."
2. Who is Mr. Mayo?
(a) Ruth's gym teacher.
(b) Beatrice's father.
(c) A former boarder who lived with Beatrice.
(d) Nanny's late husband.
3. When Beatrice recalls her childhood to Ruth, she says ...
(a) "I hated my father."
(b) "I spent all of my time with my mother."
(c) "I had more nerve than a bear."
(d) I was a shy as a church mouse."
4. Why does Beatrice look for candles following the scream from upstairs?
(a) She wants to light the room with them, as the electricity has gone off.
(b) She wants to rid the air of the smell of marigolds.
(c) She wants to put them on the birthday cake she baked for Nanny.
(d) She wants to remove earwax from Nanny's ears.
5. In the final scene at the end of Act 1, what does Tillie carry in from the front door?
(a) A hamster in a cage.
(b) A box of marigold plants.
(c) A report card.
(d) A carton of cigarettes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Beatrice's reaction to Dr. Berg's phone call?
2. Which word does the playwright use to describe Beatrice's tone when speaking to Nanny?
3. Who is the "goody-goody girl" according to Beatrice?
4. What is the subject of Tillie's speeches in Act 1?
5. Why is Beatrice sad after she tells Ruth the story of her recurring nightmares?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)