|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what condition will Eddard be allowed to join the Night Watch?
2. After Drogo tells Daenerys he no longer intends to invade the Seven Kingdoms, what happens to Daenerys while she is visiting a market?
3. Who does the wildling girl tell Robb he should be fighting?
4. Why is Jon concerned about his friend Sam, who is also with the Night Watch?
5. To what family does Maester Aemon belong?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jon sent to his room under guard after he has a fight with Ser Alliser at dinner?
2. What is the deal Catelyn makes with Lord Walder of the Twins so Robb's army can cross the river?
3. On what condition will Cersei grant mercy for Eddard?
4. Why does Bran want to go into the crypt?
5. Even though Tyrion survives the battle with Robb's army, why is he upset about the flank of the army to which his father assigned him?
6. What does Sam tell Jon when Jon is upset that he is made steward to the Lord Commander of the Night Watch?
7. Why does Arya disguise herself as a boy?
8. What is the threat Robert makes to Eddard if Eddard resigns as King's Hand?
9. What event causes Drogo to change his mind and invade the Seven Kingdoms?
10. What do Robb and Catelyn decide to do about the letter from Sansa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Subplots have the same story elements as the main plot of a story. Explain one subplot from A Game of Thrones using the typical plot structure: exposition, inciting force, central conflict, rising action, crisis, climax, and resolution. Explain how the subplot is connected to the main plot of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Several components of quality literature include:
1) use of descriptive words and images
2) use of analogies, metaphors, and similes
3) an attention-grabbing beginning
5) appealing to the five senses
Is A Game of Thrones an example of quality literature? Why or why not? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the nature of good and evil as it exists in A Game of Thrones. In the war between the Lannisters and the Starks, was one side all good and the other side all evil? What makes you think this? Do the Targaryens represent good or evil? Why?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)