|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what condition will Eddard be allowed to join the Night Watch?
2. What does Daenerys do for Drogo when she finds he has been injured in battle?
3. What happens to Sansa when she refuses to sit in court with Joffrey?
4. Why does Eddard sentence Ser Gregor to death?
5. After learning the position of Jaime Lannister's army, where does Robb want to lead his army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the distraction provided by the battle in which Tyrion fought with his father's army?
2. Why does Bran want to go into the crypt?
3. What event causes Drogo to change his mind and invade the Seven Kingdoms?
4. What does Eddard see as a benefit if he joins the Night Watch?
5. Under what condition will Cersei allow Sansa to marry Joffrey?
6. Even though Tyrion survives the battle with Robb's army, why is he upset about the flank of the army to which his father assigned him?
7. When Sansa discusses the children she and Joffrey will have, what does Eddard realize about Jon Arryn's death?
8. How does Cersei thwart Robert's dying wish that Eddard become Protector of the Realm?
9. What do Robb and Catelyn decide to do about the letter from Sansa?
10. What is said about Arya's father in the conversation she overhears while she is sword training in the Red Keep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is stronger in A Game of Thrones--plot development or character development? Why? Give examples from the story to explain your answer. Do you think the author did this intentionally? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the meaning of this statement by Jon Snow in chapter 5: "'Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.'" To whom is Jon speaking? What is the situation in the story in which Jon makes this statement? What does this statement tell us about Jon? What is the importance of this statement to the plot? Do you agree with Jon's statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The author made up the world in which the characters live. Even though the world is much different from ours, what parallels can you draw between the world in A Game of Thrones and the world in which you live?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)