|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Jon takes his vows as a member of the Night Watch, where does he hope to be assigned?
2. What led to King Robert's hunting injury?
3. After the battle at Riverrun, what concerns Catelyn about Tywin's army?
4. What happens to Viserys when he draws a sword on Daenerys at a ceremony honoring her unborn child?
5. Where does Catelyn want to go after she discusses military strategy with Robb?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lysa Arryn say about the Lannisters that shows she is unstable?
2. Why does Arya disguise herself as a boy?
3. On what condition will Cersei grant mercy for Eddard?
4. When Sansa discusses the children she and Joffrey will have, what does Eddard realize about Jon Arryn's death?
5. What knowledge about the paternity of Cersei's children does Eddard reveal to Cersei?
6. What does Sam tell Jon when Jon is upset that he is made steward to the Lord Commander of the Night Watch?
7. What was the distraction provided by the battle in which Tyrion fought with his father's army?
8. What do Robb and Catelyn decide to do about the letter from Sansa?
9. Why does Eddard choose his own man, instead of the King's Justice, to enforce the death sentence against Ser Gregor?
10. What is said about Arya's father in the conversation she overhears while she is sword training in the Red Keep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name a character, other than the main characters, who is important to the story. Why is the character important? Could the story have been written without this character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses a variety of made-up words in A Game of Thrones. Why did the author make up words instead of using conventional terms? How does the genre of the story relate to the made-up terms? Does the use of these words enhance or detract from your understanding of the story? Does the use of these words enhance or detract from the content of the story? Select five of these made-up words and explain their meaning in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Internal conflict affects different characters in the story. Choose a character who faces internal conflict. Explain what the conflict is, how the character attempts to resolve the internal conflict, if the conflict is resolved and how it is resolved. If the conflict is not resolved why it is not resolved? What have you learned about the character from the internal conflict? How does the resolution or lack of resolution of the internal conflict affect the character?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)