|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Eddard when he tries to have Cersei arrested?
2. Why is Jon concerned about his friend Sam, who is also with the Night Watch?
3. What does Daenerys do for Drogo when she finds he has been injured in battle?
4. What does Arya do while her sword training teacher fights Ser Meryn?
5. Who does Cersei blame for the fight between the Lannisters and Eddard and his men at the brothel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the threat Robert makes to Eddard if Eddard resigns as King's Hand?
2. What is said about Arya's father in the conversation she overhears while she is sword training in the Red Keep?
3. Why does Arya disguise herself as a boy?
4. While Bran is riding in the woods with Robb and some of their men, what do the wildlings who capture Bran want to do with him?
5. What knowledge about the paternity of Cersei's children does Eddard reveal to Cersei?
6. What gesture does Daenerys make toward her brother Viserys that shows she is growing up?
7. On what condition will Cersei grant mercy for Eddard?
8. What do Robb and Catelyn decide to do about the letter from Sansa?
9. Why does Eddard choose his own man, instead of the King's Justice, to enforce the death sentence against Ser Gregor?
10. What are Eddard's conflicting feelings about remaining in King's Landing when he resigns as the King's Hand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Subplots have the same story elements as the main plot of a story. Explain one subplot from A Game of Thrones using the typical plot structure: exposition, inciting force, central conflict, rising action, crisis, climax, and resolution. Explain how the subplot is connected to the main plot of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Internal conflict affects different characters in the story. Choose a character who faces internal conflict. Explain what the conflict is, how the character attempts to resolve the internal conflict, if the conflict is resolved and how it is resolved. If the conflict is not resolved why it is not resolved? What have you learned about the character from the internal conflict? How does the resolution or lack of resolution of the internal conflict affect the character?
Essay Topic 3
What clues or hints does the author provide that help prepare you for the ending of the story? Did you think these clues were important as you read the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)