|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Eddard is recovering from his injuries from the battle with the Lannisters, what does he learn about Tyrion?
2. Where does Robb want Catelyn to go after they discuss military strategy?
3. What does Tyrion tell Bronn is the reason Tyrion dislikes his own father?
4. What does Arya do after overhearing the conversation about her father while she was sword training in the Red Keep?
5. Why is Jon concerned about his friend Sam, who is also with the Night Watch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Eddard's conflicting feelings about remaining in King's Landing when he resigns as the King's Hand?
2. While Bran is riding in the woods with Robb and some of their men, what do the wildlings who capture Bran want to do with him?
3. Why is Jon sent to his room under guard after he has a fight with Ser Alliser at dinner?
4. What is the threat Robert makes to Eddard if Eddard resigns as King's Hand?
5. Why does Eddard choose his own man, instead of the King's Justice, to enforce the death sentence against Ser Gregor?
6. What knowledge about the paternity of Cersei's children does Eddard reveal to Cersei?
7. On what condition will Cersei grant mercy for Eddard?
8. Under what condition will Cersei allow Sansa to marry Joffrey?
9. What do Robb and Catelyn decide to do about the letter from Sansa?
10. What event causes Drogo to change his mind and invade the Seven Kingdoms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The chapters in A Game of Thrones are short. Why do you think the author chose to keep the chapters short? Do the short chapters help or hinder the flow of the plot? Why? Give examples from the story to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is stronger in A Game of Thrones--plot development or character development? Why? Give examples from the story to explain your answer. Do you think the author did this intentionally? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Several components of quality literature include:
1) use of descriptive words and images
2) use of analogies, metaphors, and similes
3) an attention-grabbing beginning
5) appealing to the five senses
Is A Game of Thrones an example of quality literature? Why or why not? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)