|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Catelyn's uncle concerned about the possibility of Lysa Arryn's son Robert ruling as Lord of the Eyries?
2. On what condition will Eddard be allowed to join the Night Watch?
3. On the way to the Vale of Arryn, what happens to the group Catelyn and Tyrion are traveling with?
4. After learning the position of Jaime Lannister's army, where does Robb want to lead his army?
5. What does Tyrion do for Catelyn when their travel to the Vale of Arryn is disrupted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event causes Drogo to change his mind and invade the Seven Kingdoms?
2. What does Lysa Arryn say about the Lannisters that shows she is unstable?
3. Why does Eddard choose his own man, instead of the King's Justice, to enforce the death sentence against Ser Gregor?
4. Why does Bran want to go into the crypt?
5. What are Eddard's conflicting feelings about remaining in King's Landing when he resigns as the King's Hand?
6. Why does Arya disguise herself as a boy?
7. What is the threat Robert makes to Eddard if Eddard resigns as King's Hand?
8. On what condition will Cersei grant mercy for Eddard?
9. While Bran is riding in the woods with Robb and some of their men, what do the wildlings who capture Bran want to do with him?
10. Under what condition will Cersei allow Sansa to marry Joffrey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The chapters in A Game of Thrones are short. Why do you think the author chose to keep the chapters short? Do the short chapters help or hinder the flow of the plot? Why? Give examples from the story to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In A Game of Thrones, Jon Snow and Bran both have dreams. Choose a dream of one of these two characters. Who has the dream? What is the dream about? What symbolism is in the dream? What does the content of the dream tell us about the character who has the dream? Does the dream provide any hints or clues of events that take place later in the story? What is the author's purpose in including the dream in the story?
Essay Topic 3
In A Game of Thrones, circumstances force both Robb and Daenerys to make decisions and behave in ways which defined their maturity. Compare and contrast Robb and Daenerys in terms of their maturity in the story. What behavior did they show which demonstrated their maturity? Did one character mature more than the other? If so, which character? How? Was one character required to make more mature decisions and behave more maturely than the other? If so, who? How?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)