|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Eddard when he confesses to treason and swears loyalty to Joffrey?
2. Where does Robb want Catelyn to go after they discuss military strategy?
3. When Eddard speaks with Cersei while Robert is hunting, why does Eddard suggest to Cersei that she should leave town?
4. Who does Cersei blame for the fight between the Lannisters and Eddard and his men at the brothel?
5. What do Robb and his men discover about two of the wildlings who attacked Bran?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what condition will Cersei grant mercy for Eddard?
2. What does Eddard see as a benefit if he joins the Night Watch?
3. What do Robb and Catelyn decide to do about the letter from Sansa?
4. What is said about Arya's father in the conversation she overhears while she is sword training in the Red Keep?
5. When Sansa discusses the children she and Joffrey will have, what does Eddard realize about Jon Arryn's death?
6. What event causes Drogo to change his mind and invade the Seven Kingdoms?
7. How does Cersei thwart Robert's dying wish that Eddard become Protector of the Realm?
8. Why does Eddard choose his own man, instead of the King's Justice, to enforce the death sentence against Ser Gregor?
9. What does Lysa Arryn say about the Lannisters that shows she is unstable?
10. Even though Tyrion survives the battle with Robb's army, why is he upset about the flank of the army to which his father assigned him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ambition plays a large part in A Game of Thrones. Explain the topic/theme of ambition as it applies to the Lannisters and Viserys Targaryen.
Essay Topic 2
Several components of quality literature include:
1) use of descriptive words and images
2) use of analogies, metaphors, and similes
3) an attention-grabbing beginning
5) appealing to the five senses
Is A Game of Thrones an example of quality literature? Why or why not? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What clues or hints does the author provide that help prepare you for the ending of the story? Did you think these clues were important as you read the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)