|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Eddard think is the rightful heir to Robert's throne?
2. After Drogo tells Daenerys he no longer intends to invade the Seven Kingdoms, what happens to Daenerys while she is visiting a market?
3. Why is Jon concerned about his friend Sam, who is also with the Night Watch?
4. What does Joffrey do at his first court session?
5. What does Tyrion tell Bronn is the reason Tyrion dislikes his own father?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the meaning of this statement by Jon Snow in chapter 5: "'Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.'" To whom is Jon speaking? What is the situation in the story in which Jon makes this statement? What does this statement tell us about Jon? What is the importance of this statement to the plot? Do you agree with Jon's statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ambition plays a large part in A Game of Thrones. Explain the topic/theme of ambition as it applies to the Lannisters and Viserys Targaryen.
Essay Topic 3
Several components of quality literature include:
1) use of descriptive words and images
2) use of analogies, metaphors, and similes
3) an attention-grabbing beginning
5) appealing to the five senses
Is A Game of Thrones an example of quality literature? Why or why not? Give examples from the story using three of the five components of quality literature to explain your answer.
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)