|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daenerys do as Drogo's battle injury becomes infected, endangering his life?
2. What led to King Robert's hunting injury?
3. Who does Cersei blame for the fight between the Lannisters and Eddard and his men at the brothel?
4. Why do Jon and a group of men from the Night Watch go Beyond-the-Wall?
5. Whom does Eddard think is the rightful heir to Robert's throne?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Arya disguise herself as a boy?
2. Why is Jon sent to his room under guard after he has a fight with Ser Alliser at dinner?
3. What knowledge about the paternity of Cersei's children does Eddard reveal to Cersei?
4. What does Sam tell Jon when Jon is upset that he is made steward to the Lord Commander of the Night Watch?
5. What does Lysa Arryn say about the Lannisters that shows she is unstable?
6. Under what condition will Cersei allow Sansa to marry Joffrey?
7. What gesture does Daenerys make toward her brother Viserys that shows she is growing up?
8. Why does Eddard choose his own man, instead of the King's Justice, to enforce the death sentence against Ser Gregor?
9. What was the distraction provided by the battle in which Tyrion fought with his father's army?
10. What is the deal Catelyn makes with Lord Walder of the Twins so Robb's army can cross the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ambition plays a large part in A Game of Thrones. Explain the topic/theme of ambition as it applies to the Lannisters and Viserys Targaryen.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses a variety of made-up words in A Game of Thrones. Why did the author make up words instead of using conventional terms? How does the genre of the story relate to the made-up terms? Does the use of these words enhance or detract from your understanding of the story? Does the use of these words enhance or detract from the content of the story? Select five of these made-up words and explain their meaning in the story.
Essay Topic 3
What is stronger in A Game of Thrones--plot development or character development? Why? Give examples from the story to explain your answer. Do you think the author did this intentionally? Why or why not?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)