|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what family does Maester Aemon belong?
2. What is the result of the trial by combat chosen by Tyrion to face his charges?
3. When Daenerys wakes from a fever, what does she learn about her baby?
4. Why do Jon and a group of men from the Night Watch go Beyond-the-Wall?
5. Who does Jon think killed the two men found Beyond-the-Wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eddard see as a benefit if he joins the Night Watch?
2. How does Cersei thwart Robert's dying wish that Eddard become Protector of the Realm?
3. When Sansa discusses the children she and Joffrey will have, what does Eddard realize about Jon Arryn's death?
4. What does Lysa Arryn say about the Lannisters that shows she is unstable?
5. Why does Eddard choose his own man, instead of the King's Justice, to enforce the death sentence against Ser Gregor?
6. Even though Tyrion survives the battle with Robb's army, why is he upset about the flank of the army to which his father assigned him?
7. Why is Jon sent to his room under guard after he has a fight with Ser Alliser at dinner?
8. What event causes Drogo to change his mind and invade the Seven Kingdoms?
9. What do Robb and Catelyn decide to do about the letter from Sansa?
10. While Bran is riding in the woods with Robb and some of their men, what do the wildlings who capture Bran want to do with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ambition plays a large part in A Game of Thrones. Explain the topic/theme of ambition as it applies to the Lannisters and Viserys Targaryen.
Essay Topic 2
The chapters in A Game of Thrones are short. Why do you think the author chose to keep the chapters short? Do the short chapters help or hinder the flow of the plot? Why? Give examples from the story to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Name a character, other than the main characters, who is important to the story. Why is the character important? Could the story have been written without this character? Why or why not?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)