|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of the trial by combat chosen by Tyrion to face his charges?
2. Because Bran keeps insisting that the children of the forest exist, what does Maester Luwin do?
3. What does Osha the wildling tell Bran about dragonglass?
4. What does Robert want to do when he discovers Daenerys is pregnant?
5. Whose army do Tyrion and the outlaws who attacked him join after they come out of the mountains?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jon sent to his room under guard after he has a fight with Ser Alliser at dinner?
2. What gesture does Daenerys make toward her brother Viserys that shows she is growing up?
3. What knowledge about the paternity of Cersei's children does Eddard reveal to Cersei?
4. Why does Eddard choose his own man, instead of the King's Justice, to enforce the death sentence against Ser Gregor?
5. What is the deal Catelyn makes with Lord Walder of the Twins so Robb's army can cross the river?
6. Even though Tyrion survives the battle with Robb's army, why is he upset about the flank of the army to which his father assigned him?
7. What are Eddard's conflicting feelings about remaining in King's Landing when he resigns as the King's Hand?
8. Why does Bran want to go into the crypt?
9. What is the threat Robert makes to Eddard if Eddard resigns as King's Hand?
10. What do Robb and Catelyn decide to do about the letter from Sansa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses a variety of made-up words in A Game of Thrones. Why did the author make up words instead of using conventional terms? How does the genre of the story relate to the made-up terms? Does the use of these words enhance or detract from your understanding of the story? Does the use of these words enhance or detract from the content of the story? Select five of these made-up words and explain their meaning in the story.
Essay Topic 2
What clues or hints does the author provide that help prepare you for the ending of the story? Did you think these clues were important as you read the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The chapters in A Game of Thrones are short. Why do you think the author chose to keep the chapters short? Do the short chapters help or hinder the flow of the plot? Why? Give examples from the story to explain your answer.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)