|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eddard find a prostitute is in possession of at the brothel?
2. What does Robert want to do when he discovers Daenerys is pregnant?
3. After the battle at Riverrun, what concerns Catelyn about Tywin's army?
4. Why is it significant that Arya kills a stable hand when she gets her sword, Needle?
5. What does Arya do while her sword training teacher fights Ser Meryn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eddard see as a benefit if he joins the Night Watch?
2. How does Cersei thwart Robert's dying wish that Eddard become Protector of the Realm?
3. Even though Tyrion survives the battle with Robb's army, why is he upset about the flank of the army to which his father assigned him?
4. What was the distraction provided by the battle in which Tyrion fought with his father's army?
5. What is the deal Catelyn makes with Lord Walder of the Twins so Robb's army can cross the river?
6. On what condition will Cersei grant mercy for Eddard?
7. Why does Arya disguise herself as a boy?
8. What event causes Drogo to change his mind and invade the Seven Kingdoms?
9. While Bran is riding in the woods with Robb and some of their men, what do the wildlings who capture Bran want to do with him?
10. Why does Eddard choose his own man, instead of the King's Justice, to enforce the death sentence against Ser Gregor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In A Game of Thrones, circumstances force both Robb and Daenerys to make decisions and behave in ways which defined their maturity. Compare and contrast Robb and Daenerys in terms of their maturity in the story. What behavior did they show which demonstrated their maturity? Did one character mature more than the other? If so, which character? How? Was one character required to make more mature decisions and behave more maturely than the other? If so, who? How?
Essay Topic 2
The author intertwines a number of topics/themes throughout the plot of A Game of Thrones. Explain one of the following topics/themes from the story, where it is present, how it's presented, and how it affects the plot and characters. Give examples from the story to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Ambition plays a large part in A Game of Thrones. Explain the topic/theme of ambition as it applies to the Lannisters and Viserys Targaryen.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)