|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what condition will Eddard be allowed to join the Night Watch?
2. What happens to Viserys when he draws a sword on Daenerys at a ceremony honoring her unborn child?
3. Who does Cersei blame for the fight between the Lannisters and Eddard and his men at the brothel?
4. What does Arya do after overhearing the conversation about her father while she was sword training in the Red Keep?
5. What does Joffrey do at his first court session?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what condition will Cersei allow Sansa to marry Joffrey?
2. Why does Bran want to go into the crypt?
3. Even though Tyrion survives the battle with Robb's army, why is he upset about the flank of the army to which his father assigned him?
4. When Sansa discusses the children she and Joffrey will have, what does Eddard realize about Jon Arryn's death?
5. What do Robb and Catelyn decide to do about the letter from Sansa?
6. What is the deal Catelyn makes with Lord Walder of the Twins so Robb's army can cross the river?
7. What are Eddard's conflicting feelings about remaining in King's Landing when he resigns as the King's Hand?
8. What does Lysa Arryn say about the Lannisters that shows she is unstable?
9. Why does Eddard choose his own man, instead of the King's Justice, to enforce the death sentence against Ser Gregor?
10. What event causes Drogo to change his mind and invade the Seven Kingdoms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did the author title the book A Game of Thrones? What events in the story could be considered a "game"? What does the word "game" usually mean? Do you think any of the characters would use the word "game" to describe the events in the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Name a character, other than the main characters, who is important to the story. Why is the character important? Could the story have been written without this character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is stronger in A Game of Thrones--plot development or character development? Why? Give examples from the story to explain your answer. Do you think the author did this intentionally? Why or why not?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)