|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Lord Eddard want the job as the King's Hand?
2. After Arya leaves the table in anger, saying that she hates living in King's Landing, what does Eddard discover when he goes to speak to her?
3. What happens to Joffrey while he and Sansa spend their afternoon together?
4. When Littlefinger visits Eddard with information about Jon Arryn's death, what do they see outside Eddard's window?
5. What is the function of the Wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the plan of Viserys, a descendant of the House of Targaryens, for his sister Daenerys?
2. Describe the story that Old Nan tells Bran as he recovers from his injuries.
3. What wish does Lady Catelyn express to Jon when he visits the injured Bran?
4. Why do Cersei and Jaime hope that Bran does not recover from his fall?
5. Why does Lady Catelyn decide to travel to King's Landing after the attempt on Bran's life?
6. What is Littlefinger's advice to Eddard regarding the dagger used in Bran's murder attempt?
7. Why is Jon not permitted to participate in the activities he views from the parapet?
8. After Robert finishes arguing with his squires before the tourney, what does Robert reveal to Eddard about Joffrey and Cersei?
9. What is the purpose of the fire that was set in the library as Bran lay injured in his bed?
10. Explain the relationship between Jon Arryn, Lord Eddard Stark, and Robert Baratheon, and how they acquired their positions of authority.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In A Game of Thrones, circumstances force both Robb and Daenerys to make decisions and behave in ways which defined their maturity. Compare and contrast Robb and Daenerys in terms of their maturity in the story. What behavior did they show which demonstrated their maturity? Did one character mature more than the other? If so, which character? How? Was one character required to make more mature decisions and behave more maturely than the other? If so, who? How?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses a variety of made-up words in A Game of Thrones. Why did the author make up words instead of using conventional terms? How does the genre of the story relate to the made-up terms? Does the use of these words enhance or detract from your understanding of the story? Does the use of these words enhance or detract from the content of the story? Select five of these made-up words and explain their meaning in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Who are the static characters in the story? What makes them static characters? Are the static characters main characters, minor characters, or both? Who are the dynamic characters in the story? What makes them dynamic characters? Are the dynamic characters main characters, minor characters, or both?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)