|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robert decide not to participate in the tourney?
2. Why does Jon want to keep the five direwolf pups they find when they are riding back to town after executing the Night Watch deserter?
3. What happens when Uncle Benjen and Jon argue about the Night Watch at dinner on the night of Robert's arrival?
4. What does Jon learn about Benjen Stark from Tyrion?
5. How did Viserys and Daenerys, descendants of the House of Targaryens, lose their father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Queen Cersei decide after Joffrey and Arya describe their parts in the sword fighting incident?
2. Why is Jon Snow having difficulty while training for the Night Watch?
3. Why does it concern Eddard that Jaime is named Warden of the East?
4. Describe the chain of events that occur after Ser Royce gives his order to Will when they arrive at the raiders' camp.
5. Explain what happens when Bran is climbing near the First Keep and overhears a conversation.
6. Why does Lady Catelyn want Lord Eddard to take the job as King's Hand?
7. After speaking with her friend in King's Landing about Bran's murder attempt, why will Lady Catelyn conclude that Tyrion Lannister tried to kill Bran?
8. Explain what happens when Joffrey and Sansa see Arya and Mycah, the butcher's son, practicing sword fighting.
9. When Bran looks toward the Wall in his dream, what does he see?
10. Why do Cersei and Jaime hope that Bran does not recover from his fall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the meaning of this statement by Jon Snow in chapter 5: "'Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.'" To whom is Jon speaking? What is the situation in the story in which Jon makes this statement? What does this statement tell us about Jon? What is the importance of this statement to the plot? Do you agree with Jon's statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses a variety of made-up words in A Game of Thrones. Why did the author make up words instead of using conventional terms? How does the genre of the story relate to the made-up terms? Does the use of these words enhance or detract from your understanding of the story? Does the use of these words enhance or detract from the content of the story? Select five of these made-up words and explain their meaning in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Internal conflict affects different characters in the story. Choose a character who faces internal conflict. Explain what the conflict is, how the character attempts to resolve the internal conflict, if the conflict is resolved and how it is resolved. If the conflict is not resolved why it is not resolved? What have you learned about the character from the internal conflict? How does the resolution or lack of resolution of the internal conflict affect the character?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)