|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years had passed since Mary last spoke to the Captain?
2. Who could be seen as a virtuous knight as in days of yore in Chapter 38?
3. What would have happened to Leon Trout if the Marine Corps found out about Leon's disease?
4. What is the international word for a ship in distress?
5. How many times has the narrator materialized since becoming a ghost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the blue-footed boobies in the novel symbolic? Why do you think the author puts such an emphasis on the blue-footed boobies? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Mental illness is a disorder characterized by disturbances in a person's thoughts, emotions, or behavior. Compare and contrast the views of mental illness as seen in the novel to modern day society. Use at least three examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Make a case for or against the following statement: "Culture and society is just something that humans do because it is programmed in their brains." Use the novel for evidence to support your case.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)