|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was James Wait's father and mother's other relation?
2. What does Mary use to try and suffocate herself in Chapter 29?
3. What secret does Mary Hepburn keep from the Captain in Book 2: Chapter 11?
4. What is the name of the Peruvian pilot who has his fighter-bomber skipping from wisp to wisp of finely divided matter at the very edge of the planet's atmosphere in Chapter 34?
5. Who is the Captain addressing when he shouts, "Welcome to 'the Nature Cruise of the Century'!"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the launching of Reyes's missile compared to in Chapter 34?
2. Why does James Wait tell Mary Hepburn to call him by his first name? By what name does Mary call James?
3. How is Prince Richard murdered? Who kills him?
4. How does the narrator write this story?
5. According to the narrator, are there anymore left handed people in the world? Explain.
6. Why does Mary Hepburn like James Wait immediately?
7. In the beginning of Chapter 13, what is Selena and Hisako seeking and finding?
8. How does Quezeda feed his brain's thirst for self-esteem and alcohol?
9. What happens to Kazakh in Chapter 31?
10. In Book 2: Chapter 12, what does the narrator suggest as a means for Mary Hepburn to keep on living with the Captain for a little while longer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Courting of a potential mate is easily seen between both animals and human beings. To what extent is animal courting similar to that of human courting? Use examples from the text to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The portrait of Charles Darwin hangs behind the bar in the Hotel El Dorado. Why do you think Charles Darwin is such an important figure to the characters in the novel? In your opinion, do you think Charles Darwin should be seen as an idol? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the need for human companionship as seen in the novel. To what extent do the characters need one another? Explain.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)