|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease does Leon Trout contract from a Saigon prostitute?
2. Where is the Bahia headed in Book 2: Chapter 2?
3. What would have happened to Leon Trout if the Marine Corps found out about Leon's disease?
4. As far as humanity is concerned, the Bahia is the new __________.
5. Who does the surviving group on board the Bahia expect the most trouble to come from in Chapter 37?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story behind Selena MacIntosh's blindness?
2. How does the narrator write this story?
3. Who does Kamikaze catch by the spring and is about to copulate with?
4. Is Siegfried von Kleist successful at committing suicide in Chapter 38? Explain.
5. How does Quezeda feed his brain's thirst for self-esteem and alcohol?
6. Did James Wait ever reproduce? Explain.
7. What is the launching of Reyes's missile compared to in Chapter 34?
8. Why is the Bahia considered to be a ghost ship in the opinion of humankind?
9. Why does James Wait tell Mary Hepburn to call him by his first name? By what name does Mary call James?
10. In the Captain's story he shares with Akiko, how are lobsters much like humans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Natural selection is defined as the process by which inheritable traits make it more likely for an organism to survive and successfully reproduce. Make a case for or against natural selection. Use specific reasons and examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Technology and robots are widely seen and used throughout the novel. In what ways has technology effected the characters in the novel? What dangers are there for a society which greatly depends on technology?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the Afterlife to the novel. What does the Afterlife look like? Do the characters have a choice to enter into the Afterlife? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)