|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom do the Kanka-bono girls eat?
2. How many times has the narrator materialized since becoming a ghost?
3. What is Ziggie?
4. When does Selena find out that her father has passed away on the Bahia?
5. Who does the surviving group on board the Bahia expect the most trouble to come from in Chapter 37?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Prince Richard murdered? Who kills him?
2. What is the irony behind the marriage of Mary Kaplan and Willard Flemming in Book 2: Chapter 4?
3. What happens to Kazakh in Chapter 31?
4. Does Leon Trout obey the Father's request for him to go into the blue tunnel? Explain.
5. What does the cancellation of "the Nature Cruise of the Century" mean to everyone in the bus in front of the Hotel El Dorado?
6. In the Captain's story he shares with Akiko, how are lobsters much like humans?
7. Why does James Wait tell Mary Hepburn to call him by his first name? By what name does Mary call James?
8. After 10 years on the Island, how does the Captain change?
9. In the beginning of Chapter 13, what is Selena and Hisako seeking and finding?
10. How does the narrator write this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your opinion, how are women viewed in the novel Galapagos? Are women overruled by their male counterparts or are women treated equally? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Make a case for or against the following statement: "Culture and society is just something that humans do because it is programmed in their brains." Use the novel for evidence to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the need for human companionship as seen in the novel. To what extent do the characters need one another? Explain.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)