|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal begins attacking the Captain's bedsores?
2. What heirloom does Mary promise to leave Akiko when she dies?
3. Whom do the Kanka-bono girls eat?
4. What are "ghetto blasters?"
5. Where does Siegfried von Kleist tell Selena her father went in Chapter 31?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Prince Richard murdered? Who kills him?
2. How is the Bahia married to the South American mainland?
3. In Book 2: Chapter 12, what does the narrator suggest as a means for Mary Hepburn to keep on living with the Captain for a little while longer?
4. How does Quezeda feed his brain's thirst for self-esteem and alcohol?
5. Why is the Bahia considered to be a ghost ship in the opinion of humankind?
6. What does the narrator say after the death of Kazakh and James Wait? Why does he say this?
7. Is Siegfried von Kleist successful at committing suicide in Chapter 38? Explain.
8. Who does Kamikaze catch by the spring and is about to copulate with?
9. When does Mary Hepburn begin her artificial insemination program? How old is she at the time?
10. What is the story behind Selena MacIntosh's blindness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Courting of a potential mate is easily seen between both animals and human beings. To what extent is animal courting similar to that of human courting? Use examples from the text to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss sensuality, sexuality, and fertility as it pertains to the novel. Be sure to give at least one example of each from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Technology and robots are widely seen and used throughout the novel. In what ways has technology effected the characters in the novel? What dangers are there for a society which greatly depends on technology?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)