|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plans to commit suicide by smashing a bus into something?
2. Which group survives in the greatest numbers in the watery environment of the Galapagos Archipelago?
3. What is Guillermo Reyes's rocket compared to in Chapter 34?
4. Where is the Bahia headed in Book 2: Chapter 2?
5. What important object is missing from the Bahia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does James Wait tell Mary Hepburn to call him by his first name? By what name does Mary call James?
2. Who does Kamikaze catch by the spring and is about to copulate with?
3. What does the cancellation of "the Nature Cruise of the Century" mean to everyone in the bus in front of the Hotel El Dorado?
4. According to the narrator, why do people get hiccups?
5. How does Quezeda feed his brain's thirst for self-esteem and alcohol?
6. Why is the Bahia considered to be a ghost ship in the opinion of humankind?
7. Why are the Kanka-bono girls laughing at the Captain in Chapter 11? Why does the Captain think they are laughing?
8. In the beginning of Chapter 13, what is Selena and Hisako seeking and finding?
9. According to the narrator, are there anymore left handed people in the world? Explain.
10. Why does Siegfried von Kleist dance in Chapter 37?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the need for human companionship as seen in the novel. To what extent do the characters need one another? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How are the blue-footed boobies in the novel symbolic? Why do you think the author puts such an emphasis on the blue-footed boobies? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The New York Times Book Review claims that "Vonnegut is a postmodern Mark Twain." Do you agree with this statement? Explain.
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)