|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mary meet Roy Hepburn?
2. What did the narrator do in his sleep when he was alive?
3. Who finds himself posing as a protector of children?
4. Who steers the Bahia during the night in Book 2: Chapter 4?
5. Who legally marries Mary Kaplan and Willard Flemming?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book 2: Chapter 12, what does the narrator suggest as a means for Mary Hepburn to keep on living with the Captain for a little while longer?
2. What happens to Kazakh in Chapter 31?
3. Who does Akiko name one of her daughters after? Explain.
4. What is the irony behind the marriage of Mary Kaplan and Willard Flemming in Book 2: Chapter 4?
5. According to the narrator, why do people get hiccups?
6. How is Prince Richard murdered? Who kills him?
7. In the beginning of Chapter 13, what is Selena and Hisako seeking and finding?
8. Who does Kamikaze catch by the spring and is about to copulate with?
9. What does the narrator say after the death of Kazakh and James Wait? Why does he say this?
10. According to the narrator, are there anymore left handed people in the world? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mental illness is a disorder characterized by disturbances in a person's thoughts, emotions, or behavior. Compare and contrast the views of mental illness as seen in the novel to modern day society. Use at least three examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
An important theme to the novel is that "human perception creates and perpetrates suffering." Use specific reasons and examples from the text that support this theme.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the Afterlife to the novel. What does the Afterlife look like? Do the characters have a choice to enter into the Afterlife? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)