|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doubt does Mary Hepburn have that leads her to take action to get a Kanka-bono girl pregnant?
2. What instrument does the Captain of the Bahia use to call for help?
3. Who is the Captain addressing when he shouts, "Welcome to 'the Nature Cruise of the Century'!"
4. What food source is a cure for people with vitamin and mineral deficiencies?
5. Who is Orlon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator write this story?
2. In the beginning of Chapter 13, what is Selena and Hisako seeking and finding?
3. Why does Mary Hepburn like James Wait immediately?
4. In the Captain's story he shares with Akiko, how are lobsters much like humans?
5. What is the story behind Selena MacIntosh's blindness?
6. What is the irony behind the marriage of Mary Kaplan and Willard Flemming in Book 2: Chapter 4?
7. According to the narrator, why do people get hiccups?
8. What is the launching of Reyes's missile compared to in Chapter 34?
9. Does Leon Trout obey the Father's request for him to go into the blue tunnel? Explain.
10. Who does Akiko name one of her daughters after? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identity and self-image are extremely deceiving as many characters in the novel are not whom they claim to be. Why do you think so many characters in the novel claim to be somebody else completely? What does this tell you about importance and emphasis on image and one's identity?
Essay Topic 2
The portrait of Charles Darwin hangs behind the bar in the Hotel El Dorado. Why do you think Charles Darwin is such an important figure to the characters in the novel? In your opinion, do you think Charles Darwin should be seen as an idol? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the Afterlife to the novel. What does the Afterlife look like? Do the characters have a choice to enter into the Afterlife? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)