|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the first 13 years on Santa Rosalia, who is the only fertile women?
2. Who is the only non-Kanka-bono who can converse with the Kanka-bonos?
3. Who finds himself posing as a protector of children?
4. Who is Orlon?
5. At what age did James Wait become a sire?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Captain's story he shares with Akiko, how are lobsters much like humans?
2. Who does Akiko name one of her daughters after? Explain.
3. After 10 years on the Island, how does the Captain change?
4. According to the narrator, are there anymore left handed people in the world? Explain.
5. Why does James Wait tell Mary Hepburn to call him by his first name? By what name does Mary call James?
6. Is Siegfried von Kleist successful at committing suicide in Chapter 38? Explain.
7. Did James Wait ever reproduce? Explain.
8. According to the narrator, why do people get hiccups?
9. In the beginning of Chapter 13, what is Selena and Hisako seeking and finding?
10. What is the irony behind the marriage of Mary Kaplan and Willard Flemming in Book 2: Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book 1: Chapter 2, the narrator sees the blind Selena as an "experiment by Nature." Explain what the narrator means by an "experiment by Nature." Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Book 2: Chapter 7, Leon Trout must face the decision whether to go into the afterlife or stay for a million years to watch humanity evolve. He cannot let go of the unfolding story of humankind, at least not for another million years. Why do you think Leon is given a million years to stay on earth? Do you think there is a limit to the amount of knowledge the Father wants Leon to have? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The portrait of Charles Darwin hangs behind the bar in the Hotel El Dorado. Why do you think Charles Darwin is such an important figure to the characters in the novel? In your opinion, do you think Charles Darwin should be seen as an idol? Explain.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)