|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the surviving group on board the Bahia expect the most trouble to come from in Chapter 37?
2. How many warplanes does Ecuador keep at the Guayaquil International Airport?
3. Leon Trout's fellow Marine recommends a young __________ doctor to treat his disease.
4. Who is the only non-Kanka-bono who can converse with the Kanka-bonos?
5. Who speaks to Leon above the stern of the Bahia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Kazakh in Chapter 31?
2. Is Siegfried von Kleist successful at committing suicide in Chapter 38? Explain.
3. According to the narrator, why do people get hiccups?
4. When does Mary Hepburn begin her artificial insemination program? How old is she at the time?
5. Who does Akiko name one of her daughters after? Explain.
6. What is the irony behind the marriage of Mary Kaplan and Willard Flemming in Book 2: Chapter 4?
7. Why does Mary Hepburn like James Wait immediately?
8. How many times has the narrator seen the blue tunnel in to the Afterlife? Where has he seen it appear?
9. According to the narrator, are there anymore left handed people in the world? Explain.
10. How is the Bahia married to the South American mainland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the blue-footed boobies in the novel symbolic? Why do you think the author puts such an emphasis on the blue-footed boobies? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Theories of how animals landed on the Galapagos Islands vary from transportation via rafts to religious phenomena. Discuss at least three theories revealed in the text as to how animals landed on the Islands; to what extent can these theories be proven? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The portrait of Charles Darwin hangs behind the bar in the Hotel El Dorado. Why do you think Charles Darwin is such an important figure to the characters in the novel? In your opinion, do you think Charles Darwin should be seen as an idol? Explain.
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)