|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who could be seen as a virtuous knight as in days of yore in Chapter 38?
2. Who steers the Bahia during the day in Book 2: Chapter 4?
3. The balance between the colonists and their food supply is based on ________.
4. Why was James Wait ashamed to take off his shirt?
5. What does Princess Charlotte design after the death of her husband, Prince Richard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Kazakh in Chapter 31?
2. In the beginning of Chapter 13, what is Selena and Hisako seeking and finding?
3. How does Quezeda feed his brain's thirst for self-esteem and alcohol?
4. Why does James Wait tell Mary Hepburn to call him by his first name? By what name does Mary call James?
5. When does Mary Hepburn begin her artificial insemination program? How old is she at the time?
6. Why does Siegfried von Kleist dance in Chapter 37?
7. How is Prince Richard murdered? Who kills him?
8. What does the narrator say after the death of Kazakh and James Wait? Why does he say this?
9. What is the story behind Selena MacIntosh's blindness?
10. What is the launching of Reyes's missile compared to in Chapter 34?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identity and self-image are extremely deceiving as many characters in the novel are not whom they claim to be. Why do you think so many characters in the novel claim to be somebody else completely? What does this tell you about importance and emphasis on image and one's identity?
Essay Topic 2
Mental illness is a disorder characterized by disturbances in a person's thoughts, emotions, or behavior. Compare and contrast the views of mental illness as seen in the novel to modern day society. Use at least three examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss sensuality, sexuality, and fertility as it pertains to the novel. Be sure to give at least one example of each from the novel.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)