|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only non-Kanka-bono who can converse with the Kanka-bonos?
2. Who is Sinka?
3. What does James Wait say he thought people were put on earth to do?
4. Where did Mary meet Roy Hepburn?
5. What important object is missing from the Bahia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Prince Richard murdered? Who kills him?
2. Why is the Bahia considered to be a ghost ship in the opinion of humankind?
3. According to the narrator, why do people get hiccups?
4. In the Captain's story he shares with Akiko, how are lobsters much like humans?
5. Why does James Wait tell Mary Hepburn to call him by his first name? By what name does Mary call James?
6. How many times has the narrator seen the blue tunnel in to the Afterlife? Where has he seen it appear?
7. What does the cancellation of "the Nature Cruise of the Century" mean to everyone in the bus in front of the Hotel El Dorado?
8. Who does Kamikaze catch by the spring and is about to copulate with?
9. What does the narrator say after the death of Kazakh and James Wait? Why does he say this?
10. What is the launching of Reyes's missile compared to in Chapter 34?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Theories of how animals landed on the Galapagos Islands vary from transportation via rafts to religious phenomena. Discuss at least three theories revealed in the text as to how animals landed on the Islands; to what extent can these theories be proven? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The New York Times Book Review claims that "Vonnegut is a postmodern Mark Twain." Do you agree with this statement? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Courting of a potential mate is easily seen between both animals and human beings. To what extent is animal courting similar to that of human courting? Use examples from the text to explain your answer.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)