|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years had passed since Mary last spoke to the Captain?
2. What instrument does the Captain of the Bahia use to call for help?
3. What did the narrator do in his sleep when he was alive?
4. Leon Trout's fellow Marine recommends a young __________ doctor to treat his disease.
5. What does James Wait say he thought people were put on earth to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Quezeda feed his brain's thirst for self-esteem and alcohol?
2. Who does Akiko name one of her daughters after? Explain.
3. Who does Kamikaze catch by the spring and is about to copulate with?
4. What does the narrator say after the death of Kazakh and James Wait? Why does he say this?
5. What is the story behind Selena MacIntosh's blindness?
6. How does the narrator write this story?
7. In the Captain's story he shares with Akiko, how are lobsters much like humans?
8. Why is the Bahia considered to be a ghost ship in the opinion of humankind?
9. Is Siegfried von Kleist successful at committing suicide in Chapter 38? Explain.
10. In the beginning of Chapter 13, what is Selena and Hisako seeking and finding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator, Leon Trout, states that all the sorrows of humankind are caused by "the only true villain in my story: the oversized human brain." Do you agree with his statement? Explain by using specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Technology and robots are widely seen and used throughout the novel. In what ways has technology effected the characters in the novel? What dangers are there for a society which greatly depends on technology?
Essay Topic 3
An important theme to the novel is that "human perception creates and perpetrates suffering." Use specific reasons and examples from the text that support this theme.
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)