|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plans to commit suicide by smashing a bus into something?
2. When does Mary's second husband die?
3. Who is Orlon?
4. Who says: "I love you so much. Please marry me. I'm so lonesome. I'm so scared."
5. What are "ghetto blasters?"
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 13, what is Selena and Hisako seeking and finding?
2. In the Captain's story he shares with Akiko, how are lobsters much like humans?
3. How does the narrator write this story?
4. Why does Mary Hepburn like James Wait immediately?
5. In Book 2: Chapter 12, what does the narrator suggest as a means for Mary Hepburn to keep on living with the Captain for a little while longer?
6. After 10 years on the Island, how does the Captain change?
7. According to the narrator, why do people get hiccups?
8. How does Quezeda feed his brain's thirst for self-esteem and alcohol?
9. What is the story behind Selena MacIntosh's blindness?
10. Who does Akiko name one of her daughters after? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator, Leon Trout, states that all the sorrows of humankind are caused by "the only true villain in my story: the oversized human brain." Do you agree with his statement? Explain by using specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, how are women viewed in the novel Galapagos? Are women overruled by their male counterparts or are women treated equally? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The portrait of Charles Darwin hangs behind the bar in the Hotel El Dorado. Why do you think Charles Darwin is such an important figure to the characters in the novel? In your opinion, do you think Charles Darwin should be seen as an idol? Explain.
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)