|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Bahia is raided, what is the Captain still in possession of?
2. Who was Mrs. Onassis's first husband?
3. Who do the Kanka-bono girls hate?
4. What important object is missing from the Bahia?
5. What does Princess Charlotte design after the death of her husband, Prince Richard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Kazakh in Chapter 31?
2. How many times has the narrator seen the blue tunnel in to the Afterlife? Where has he seen it appear?
3. What is the irony behind the marriage of Mary Kaplan and Willard Flemming in Book 2: Chapter 4?
4. Does Leon Trout obey the Father's request for him to go into the blue tunnel? Explain.
5. Why is the Bahia considered to be a ghost ship in the opinion of humankind?
6. How is the Bahia married to the South American mainland?
7. What does the narrator say after the death of Kazakh and James Wait? Why does he say this?
8. What is the launching of Reyes's missile compared to in Chapter 34?
9. Did James Wait ever reproduce? Explain.
10. Why does Siegfried von Kleist dance in Chapter 37?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mental illness is a disorder characterized by disturbances in a person's thoughts, emotions, or behavior. Compare and contrast the views of mental illness as seen in the novel to modern day society. Use at least three examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the need for human companionship as seen in the novel. To what extent do the characters need one another? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Courting of a potential mate is easily seen between both animals and human beings. To what extent is animal courting similar to that of human courting? Use examples from the text to explain your answer.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)