|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Bahia headed in Book 2: Chapter 2?
2. How many years had passed since Mary last spoke to the Captain?
3. What is Ziggie?
4. Who is the Captain addressing when he shouts, "Welcome to 'the Nature Cruise of the Century'!"
5. What nickname does Mary Hepburn give to the Bahia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Siegfried von Kleist successful at committing suicide in Chapter 38? Explain.
2. According to the narrator, are there anymore left handed people in the world? Explain.
3. What is the launching of Reyes's missile compared to in Chapter 34?
4. How many times has the narrator seen the blue tunnel in to the Afterlife? Where has he seen it appear?
5. How is Prince Richard murdered? Who kills him?
6. In the Captain's story he shares with Akiko, how are lobsters much like humans?
7. Why are the Kanka-bono girls laughing at the Captain in Chapter 11? Why does the Captain think they are laughing?
8. Why is the Bahia considered to be a ghost ship in the opinion of humankind?
9. How does Quezeda feed his brain's thirst for self-esteem and alcohol?
10. Why does Mary Hepburn like James Wait immediately?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An important theme to the novel is that "human perception creates and perpetrates suffering." Use specific reasons and examples from the text that support this theme.
Essay Topic 2
Mandarax speaks in quotes. Examine three specific quotes Mandarax uses and discuss the impact of these quotes on the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator, Leon Trout, states that all the sorrows of humankind are caused by "the only true villain in my story: the oversized human brain." Do you agree with his statement? Explain by using specific examples from the text.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)