|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leon Trout's fellow Marine recommends a young __________ doctor to treat his disease.
2. According to the narrator, how do people comfort those who are sick?
3. Which group survives in the greatest numbers in the watery environment of the Galapagos Archipelago?
4. Whose wife did James Wait have sexual relations with when he was still in Midland City, Ohio?
5. Who was head of the English Department at Ilium High School who had proposed marriage to Mary Hepburn?
Essay Topic 1
An important theme to the novel is that "human perception creates and perpetrates suffering." Use specific reasons and examples from the text that support this theme.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of the Afterlife to the novel. What does the Afterlife look like? Do the characters have a choice to enter into the Afterlife? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Theories of how animals landed on the Galapagos Islands vary from transportation via rafts to religious phenomena. Discuss at least three theories revealed in the text as to how animals landed on the Islands; to what extent can these theories be proven? Explain.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)