|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who legally marries Mary Kaplan and Willard Flemming?
2. Who is Orlon?
3. Whom do the Kanka-bono girls eat?
4. Where does Siegfried von Kleist tell Selena her father went in Chapter 31?
5. The narrator's mom once told him that he had the blood of a ________ noblemen flowing through his veins.
Short Essay Questions
1. Did James Wait ever reproduce? Explain.
2. In the beginning of Chapter 13, what is Selena and Hisako seeking and finding?
3. When does Mary Hepburn begin her artificial insemination program? How old is she at the time?
4. Why is the Bahia considered to be a ghost ship in the opinion of humankind?
5. Who does Kamikaze catch by the spring and is about to copulate with?
6. In Book 2: Chapter 12, what does the narrator suggest as a means for Mary Hepburn to keep on living with the Captain for a little while longer?
7. How is the Bahia married to the South American mainland?
8. According to the narrator, are there anymore left handed people in the world? Explain.
9. In the Captain's story he shares with Akiko, how are lobsters much like humans?
10. What is the irony behind the marriage of Mary Kaplan and Willard Flemming in Book 2: Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your opinion, how are women viewed in the novel Galapagos? Are women overruled by their male counterparts or are women treated equally? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Make a case for or against the following statement: "Culture and society is just something that humans do because it is programmed in their brains." Use the novel for evidence to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
The portrait of Charles Darwin hangs behind the bar in the Hotel El Dorado. Why do you think Charles Darwin is such an important figure to the characters in the novel? In your opinion, do you think Charles Darwin should be seen as an idol? Explain.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)