|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will become the six Eves to Captain von Kleist's Adam on Santa Rosalia?
2. What important object is missing from the Bahia?
3. Who was Mrs. Onassis's first husband?
4. What island does Mary and the Captain land the Bahia?
5. Who said: "Progress has been much more general than retrogression."
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Akiko name one of her daughters after? Explain.
2. How is the Bahia married to the South American mainland?
3. When does Mary Hepburn begin her artificial insemination program? How old is she at the time?
4. What is the story behind Selena MacIntosh's blindness?
5. After 10 years on the Island, how does the Captain change?
6. What happens to Kazakh in Chapter 31?
7. What does the narrator say after the death of Kazakh and James Wait? Why does he say this?
8. According to the narrator, why do people get hiccups?
9. Does Leon Trout obey the Father's request for him to go into the blue tunnel? Explain.
10. Who does Kamikaze catch by the spring and is about to copulate with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identity and self-image are extremely deceiving as many characters in the novel are not whom they claim to be. Why do you think so many characters in the novel claim to be somebody else completely? What does this tell you about importance and emphasis on image and one's identity?
Essay Topic 2
Mental illness is a disorder characterized by disturbances in a person's thoughts, emotions, or behavior. Compare and contrast the views of mental illness as seen in the novel to modern day society. Use at least three examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In your opinion, how are women viewed in the novel Galapagos? Are women overruled by their male counterparts or are women treated equally? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)