|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Mary's second husband die?
2. What secret does Mary Hepburn keep from the Captain in Book 2: Chapter 11?
3. At what age did James Wait become a sire?
4. Where did the narrator's mom take him as a child that his father did not approve of?
5. As far as humanity is concerned, the Bahia is the new __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Quezeda feed his brain's thirst for self-esteem and alcohol?
2. Why does Mary Hepburn like James Wait immediately?
3. What is the irony behind the marriage of Mary Kaplan and Willard Flemming in Book 2: Chapter 4?
4. What is the story behind Selena MacIntosh's blindness?
5. Did James Wait ever reproduce? Explain.
6. What happens to Kazakh in Chapter 31?
7. What does the cancellation of "the Nature Cruise of the Century" mean to everyone in the bus in front of the Hotel El Dorado?
8. Is Siegfried von Kleist successful at committing suicide in Chapter 38? Explain.
9. How does the narrator write this story?
10. In Book 2: Chapter 12, what does the narrator suggest as a means for Mary Hepburn to keep on living with the Captain for a little while longer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of the Afterlife to the novel. What does the Afterlife look like? Do the characters have a choice to enter into the Afterlife? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How are the blue-footed boobies in the novel symbolic? Why do you think the author puts such an emphasis on the blue-footed boobies? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator, Leon Trout, states that all the sorrows of humankind are caused by "the only true villain in my story: the oversized human brain." Do you agree with his statement? Explain by using specific examples from the text.
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)