|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The balance between the colonists and their food supply is based on ________.
2. When the Bahia sinks, who has the only beard on the island?
3. What is the language of the majority on Santa Rosalia?
4. What did the narrator do in his sleep when he was alive?
5. Why was James Wait ashamed to take off his shirt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Kamikaze catch by the spring and is about to copulate with?
2. What is the launching of Reyes's missile compared to in Chapter 34?
3. When does Mary Hepburn begin her artificial insemination program? How old is she at the time?
4. Why are the Kanka-bono girls laughing at the Captain in Chapter 11? Why does the Captain think they are laughing?
5. What happens to Kazakh in Chapter 31?
6. Is Siegfried von Kleist successful at committing suicide in Chapter 38? Explain.
7. What is the irony behind the marriage of Mary Kaplan and Willard Flemming in Book 2: Chapter 4?
8. What is the story behind Selena MacIntosh's blindness?
9. Who does Akiko name one of her daughters after? Explain.
10. In the beginning of Chapter 13, what is Selena and Hisako seeking and finding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book 2: Chapter 7, Leon Trout must face the decision whether to go into the afterlife or stay for a million years to watch humanity evolve. He cannot let go of the unfolding story of humankind, at least not for another million years. Why do you think Leon is given a million years to stay on earth? Do you think there is a limit to the amount of knowledge the Father wants Leon to have? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The New York Times Book Review claims that "Vonnegut is a postmodern Mark Twain." Do you agree with this statement? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the Afterlife to the novel. What does the Afterlife look like? Do the characters have a choice to enter into the Afterlife? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)