|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Panama hats come from?
2. Including Wait, how many guests are staying at the Hotel El Dorado?
3. What nationality does James Wait claim to be in Chapter 2?
4. Who's brain is so big that it can show him movies in his head which stars him and his dependents as millionaires?
5. Who says: "Good luck, my Swedish princess. I shall dream of you."
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary Hepburn believe she had a brain tumor in Chapter 7?
2. Who stated, "The dry and parched surface, being heated by the noon-day sun, gave to the air a close and sultry feeling, like that from a stove: we fancied even that the bushes smelt unpleasantly?" What is this statement in reference to?
3. What had Hernando Cruz planned to do to the Bahia if the trip was canceled?
4. Describe the city of Guayaquil as it is described in Chapter 1.
5. In what way is Mary Hepburn "Mother Nature Personified?"
6. In Chapter 9, what is Roy Hepburn's dying compared to? Explain.
7. Describe Andrew MacIntosh's personality as it is described in Chapter 19.
8. In Chapter 25, how is Hernando Cruz's case compared to that of Jesus Ortiz?
9. What two promises does Roy Hepburn ask his wife to keep on his deathbed?
10. Describe Jesus Ortiz . What is his brain capable of doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Technology and robots are widely seen and used throughout the novel. In what ways has technology effected the characters in the novel? What dangers are there for a society which greatly depends on technology?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss sensuality, sexuality, and fertility as it pertains to the novel. Be sure to give at least one example of each from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the Afterlife to the novel. What does the Afterlife look like? Do the characters have a choice to enter into the Afterlife? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)