|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator die?
2. What bird is a teaser and a robber of the blue-footed boobies?
3. Who is a bartender at the Hotel El Dorado and a 21 year old descendant of proud Inca noblemen?
4. What is the name given to the moment when the beaks of the blue-footed boobies are pointed in the direction exactly opposite to the pull of gravity?
5. What is the capital of Ecuador?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the launching of Reyes's missile compared to in Chapter 34?
2. In Chapter 3, how is Charles Darwin described?
3. Compare and contrast the Galapagos Islands back in 1986 A.D. to a million years later.
4. How does Quezeda feed his brain's thirst for self-esteem and alcohol?
5. Why does Siegfried von Kleist dance in Chapter 37?
6. Describe the Hotel El Dorado.
7. Why does James Wait tell Mary Hepburn to call him by his first name? By what name does Mary call James?
8. How do people describe their brains in Chapter 6?
9. Compare and contrast the Bahia De Darwin to the Beagle.
10. Does Mary Hepburn want to go to the Galapagos Islands? Explain.
Essay Topic 1
The narrator, Leon Trout, states that all the sorrows of humankind are caused by "the only true villain in my story: the oversized human brain." Do you agree with his statement? Explain by using specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
The New York Times Book Review claims that "Vonnegut is a postmodern Mark Twain." Do you agree with this statement? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In your opinion, how are women viewed in the novel Galapagos? Are women overruled by their male counterparts or are women treated equally? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)