|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal is not found on the Galapagos Islands?
2. Who's maiden name is Boone?
3. How does Andrew MacIntosh receive fifty million dollars?
4. How many cruise ships have their port in Guayaquil?
5. What subject did James Wait study for two years at the vocation high school in his home town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize James Wait's childhood as it is described in Chapter 3.
2. Why does the narrator choose the Captain's head to get into in Chapter 23?
3. Describe the Hotel El Dorado.
4. Compare and contrast Mandarax to Gokubi.
5. Compare and contrast the Galapagos Islands back in 1986 A.D. to a million years later.
6. Does Mary Hepburn want to go to the Galapagos Islands? Explain.
7. In a desperate attempt to keep his passengers from canceling their cruise on the Bahia, what does Bobby King do?
8. Give two theories that are discussed for how animals arrived on the Galapagos Islands.
9. Describe Andrew MacIntosh's personality as it is described in Chapter 19.
10. What had Hernando Cruz planned to do to the Bahia if the trip was canceled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make a case for or against the following statement: "Culture and society is just something that humans do because it is programmed in their brains." Use the novel for evidence to support your case.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of the Afterlife to the novel. What does the Afterlife look like? Do the characters have a choice to enter into the Afterlife? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The portrait of Charles Darwin hangs behind the bar in the Hotel El Dorado. Why do you think Charles Darwin is such an important figure to the characters in the novel? In your opinion, do you think Charles Darwin should be seen as an idol? Explain.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)