|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 26, where does the Captain devise his emergency plan for the Bahia?
2. It is theorized that ________ created all the creatures on the Galapagos Islands, so they had no need for transportation.
3. What did Mary Hepburn's husband, Roy, die from?
4. What is James Wait's native city?
5. Who says: "Good luck, my Swedish princess. I shall dream of you."
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 25, how is Hernando Cruz's case compared to that of Jesus Ortiz?
2. Give two theories that are discussed for how animals arrived on the Galapagos Islands.
3. Why does Kazakh never bark or play with other dogs?
4. Describe Andrew MacIntosh's personality as it is described in Chapter 19.
5. In Chapter 9, what is Roy Hepburn's dying compared to? Explain.
6. Why does Siegfried von Kleist have no children?
7. Does Mary Hepburn want to go to the Galapagos Islands? Explain.
8. Why is Mary Hepburn practically unseen in the Hotel El Dorado?
9. Compare and contrast the Bahia De Darwin to the Beagle.
10. How do people describe their brains in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the need for human companionship as seen in the novel. To what extent do the characters need one another? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of the Afterlife to the novel. What does the Afterlife look like? Do the characters have a choice to enter into the Afterlife? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Mandarax speaks in quotes. Examine three specific quotes Mandarax uses and discuss the impact of these quotes on the novel.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)