|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the 35-year-old American male who could not swim a stroke, who intended to get from the South American continent to the Galapagos Islands?
2. Who's maiden name is Boone?
3. What is the name of the Ecuadorian currency that has become worth less than a banana peel?
4. When his beauty began to fade, Wait became an instructor in __________ dancing.
5. What company is automating the Bahia and also employs Zenji Hiroguchi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the city of Guayaquil as it is described in Chapter 1.
2. What is Mandarax? Who created it? How many Mandarax were made? What is its function?
3. Why does the narrator choose the Captain's head to get into in Chapter 23?
4. Describe Jesus Ortiz . What is his brain capable of doing?
5. In what way is Mary Hepburn "Mother Nature Personified?"
6. Who stated, "The dry and parched surface, being heated by the noon-day sun, gave to the air a close and sultry feeling, like that from a stove: we fancied even that the bushes smelt unpleasantly?" What is this statement in reference to?
7. In Chapter 3, how is Charles Darwin described?
8. What mystery in 1986 A.D. is discussed in Chapter 1?
9. Why do blue-footed boobies dance the way they do in courtship?
10. Describe the Hotel El Dorado.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The portrait of Charles Darwin hangs behind the bar in the Hotel El Dorado. Why do you think Charles Darwin is such an important figure to the characters in the novel? In your opinion, do you think Charles Darwin should be seen as an idol? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In Book 2: Chapter 7, Leon Trout must face the decision whether to go into the afterlife or stay for a million years to watch humanity evolve. He cannot let go of the unfolding story of humankind, at least not for another million years. Why do you think Leon is given a million years to stay on earth? Do you think there is a limit to the amount of knowledge the Father wants Leon to have? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the need for human companionship as seen in the novel. To what extent do the characters need one another? Explain.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)