|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal is not found on the Galapagos Islands?
2. What book does Roy make Mary get while he lays in his deathbed?
3. Who is a bartender at the Hotel El Dorado and a 21 year old descendant of proud Inca noblemen?
4. Who's maiden name is Boone?
5. It is theorized that ________ created all the creatures on the Galapagos Islands, so they had no need for transportation.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Hotel El Dorado.
2. Discuss the three examples the narrator uses to show how people can become independent from their parents.
3. Why does the narrator choose the Captain's head to get into in Chapter 23?
4. Who stated, "The dry and parched surface, being heated by the noon-day sun, gave to the air a close and sultry feeling, like that from a stove: we fancied even that the bushes smelt unpleasantly?" What is this statement in reference to?
5. How does Mary Hepburn recognize the Island of Santa Rosalia in Chapter 24?
6. What had Hernando Cruz planned to do to the Bahia if the trip was canceled?
7. Compare and contrast Mandarax to Gokubi.
8. What mystery in 1986 A.D. is discussed in Chapter 1?
9. Why do blue-footed boobies dance the way they do in courtship?
10. In what way is Mary Hepburn "Mother Nature Personified?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the need for human companionship as seen in the novel. To what extent do the characters need one another? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss sensuality, sexuality, and fertility as it pertains to the novel. Be sure to give at least one example of each from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
How are the blue-footed boobies in the novel symbolic? Why do you think the author puts such an emphasis on the blue-footed boobies? Explain.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)