|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is a bartender at the Hotel El Dorado and a 21 year old descendant of proud Inca noblemen?
2. Who is considered to be wild and greedy and inconsiderate, but not insane?
3. What is James Wait's native city?
4. How many children does Hernando Cruz have?
5. What name does Zenji Hiroguchi travel under?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator choose the Captain's head to get into in Chapter 23?
2. What does the cancellation of "the Nature Cruise of the Century" mean to everyone in the bus in front of the Hotel El Dorado?
3. How is the Bahia married to the South American mainland?
4. In a desperate attempt to keep his passengers from canceling their cruise on the Bahia, what does Bobby King do?
5. How does Quezeda feed his brain's thirst for self-esteem and alcohol?
6. Who does Akiko name one of her daughters after? Explain.
7. Give two theories that are discussed for how animals arrived on the Galapagos Islands.
8. How is Prince Richard murdered? Who kills him?
9. What is Mandarax? Who created it? How many Mandarax were made? What is its function?
10. Who is Akiko, and what is unique about her? Where is she born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An important theme to the novel is that "human perception creates and perpetrates suffering." Use specific reasons and examples from the text that support this theme.
Essay Topic 2
Mental illness is a disorder characterized by disturbances in a person's thoughts, emotions, or behavior. Compare and contrast the views of mental illness as seen in the novel to modern day society. Use at least three examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss sensuality, sexuality, and fertility as it pertains to the novel. Be sure to give at least one example of each from the novel.
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)