|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, what are the people of the Galapagos Islands only tool?
2. What bloodsucking animal, found on the Island of Santa Rosalia, survive by pecking at the long neck of an unheeding booby until it has raised little beads of blood?
3. Who coined the term "biology?"
4. Who's portrait is behind the bar at the Hotel El Dorado?
5. What bird becomes crucial to the survival of the little human colony on Santa Rosalia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast Mandarax to Gokubi.
2. When does Adolf von Kleist tell Mary Hepburn that he might be a carrier of Huntington's chorea?
3. Who is Akiko, and what is unique about her? Where is she born?
4. What is Mandarax? Who created it? How many Mandarax were made? What is its function?
5. In Chapter 25, how is Hernando Cruz's case compared to that of Jesus Ortiz?
6. Compare and contrast the Galapagos Islands back in 1986 A.D. to a million years later.
7. Compare and contrast the Bahia De Darwin to the Beagle.
8. In what way is Mary Hepburn "Mother Nature Personified?"
9. Describe Andrew MacIntosh's personality as it is described in Chapter 19.
10. Describe the Hotel El Dorado.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator, Leon Trout, states that all the sorrows of humankind are caused by "the only true villain in my story: the oversized human brain." Do you agree with his statement? Explain by using specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In Book 2: Chapter 7, Leon Trout must face the decision whether to go into the afterlife or stay for a million years to watch humanity evolve. He cannot let go of the unfolding story of humankind, at least not for another million years. Why do you think Leon is given a million years to stay on earth? Do you think there is a limit to the amount of knowledge the Father wants Leon to have? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the need for human companionship as seen in the novel. To what extent do the characters need one another? Explain.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)