|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When his beauty began to fade, Wait became an instructor in __________ dancing.
2. Who tells Mary Hepburn the Bahia has landed on the Island of Santa Rosalia?
3. What do the two stars by the names of certain characters in the story mean?
4. What other subject did Mary Hepburn teach at Ilium High School?
5. What is the name of the ship that Darwin took on a mapping expedition that would take him completely around the world and would last five years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize James Wait's childhood as it is described in Chapter 3.
2. Who discovered the Galapagos Islands in 1535 A.D.?
3. How do people describe their brains in Chapter 6?
4. Compare and contrast the Galapagos Islands back in 1986 A.D. to a million years later.
5. Why does Siegfried von Kleist have no children?
6. How does Mary Hepburn recognize the Island of Santa Rosalia in Chapter 24?
7. Discuss the three examples the narrator uses to show how people can become independent from their parents.
8. Why do blue-footed boobies dance the way they do in courtship?
9. Why is Mary Hepburn practically unseen in the Hotel El Dorado?
10. Who is Akiko, and what is unique about her? Where is she born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book 1: Chapter 2, the narrator sees the blind Selena as an "experiment by Nature." Explain what the narrator means by an "experiment by Nature." Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator, Leon Trout, states that all the sorrows of humankind are caused by "the only true villain in my story: the oversized human brain." Do you agree with his statement? Explain by using specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Mandarax speaks in quotes. Examine three specific quotes Mandarax uses and discuss the impact of these quotes on the novel.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)