|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who's brain is so big that it can show him movies in his head which stars him and his dependents as millionaires?
2. Who tells Mary Hepburn the Bahia has landed on the Island of Santa Rosalia?
3. Including Wait, how many guests are staying at the Hotel El Dorado?
4. What other subject did Mary Hepburn teach at Ilium High School?
5. What nationality does James Wait claim to be in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people describe their brains in Chapter 6?
2. What mystery in 1986 A.D. is discussed in Chapter 1?
3. In a desperate attempt to keep his passengers from canceling their cruise on the Bahia, what does Bobby King do?
4. Describe Andrew MacIntosh's personality as it is described in Chapter 19.
5. Compare and contrast the Galapagos Islands back in 1986 A.D. to a million years later.
6. In Chapter 25, how is Hernando Cruz's case compared to that of Jesus Ortiz?
7. What had Hernando Cruz planned to do to the Bahia if the trip was canceled?
8. Who is Akiko, and what is unique about her? Where is she born?
9. Who stated, "The dry and parched surface, being heated by the noon-day sun, gave to the air a close and sultry feeling, like that from a stove: we fancied even that the bushes smelt unpleasantly?" What is this statement in reference to?
10. Compare and contrast the Bahia De Darwin to the Beagle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of the Afterlife to the novel. What does the Afterlife look like? Do the characters have a choice to enter into the Afterlife? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Technology and robots are widely seen and used throughout the novel. In what ways has technology effected the characters in the novel? What dangers are there for a society which greatly depends on technology?
Essay Topic 3
In Book 2: Chapter 7, Leon Trout must face the decision whether to go into the afterlife or stay for a million years to watch humanity evolve. He cannot let go of the unfolding story of humankind, at least not for another million years. Why do you think Leon is given a million years to stay on earth? Do you think there is a limit to the amount of knowledge the Father wants Leon to have? Explain.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)