Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator die?
2. What is the name given to the moment when the beaks of the blue-footed boobies are pointed in the direction exactly opposite to the pull of gravity?
3. What name does Zenji Hiroguchi travel under?
4. What do the two stars by the names of certain characters in the story mean?
5. Who owns the Bahia?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Captain's story he shares with Akiko, how are lobsters much like humans?
2. Why do blue-footed boobies dance the way they do in courtship?
3. Describe Andrew MacIntosh's personality as it is described in Chapter 19.
4. Why is the Bahia considered to be a ghost ship in the opinion of humankind?
5. What is the launching of Reyes's missile compared to in Chapter 34?
6. In the beginning of Chapter 13, what is Selena and Hisako seeking and finding?
7. What is the irony behind the marriage of Mary Kaplan and Willard Flemming in Book 2: Chapter 4?
8. Why are the Kanka-bono girls laughing at the Captain in Chapter 11? Why does the Captain think they are laughing?
9. Discuss the three examples the narrator uses to show how people can become independent from their parents.
10. How is Prince Richard murdered? Who kills him?
Essay Topic 1
An important theme to the novel is that "human perception creates and perpetrates suffering." Use specific reasons and examples from the text that support this theme.
Essay Topic 2
In Book 1: Chapter 2, the narrator sees the blind Selena as an "experiment by Nature." Explain what the narrator means by an "experiment by Nature." Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Mandarax speaks in quotes. Examine three specific quotes Mandarax uses and discuss the impact of these quotes on the novel.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)