|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the last human marriage in the Galapagos Islands performed?
2. What is the name of the Galapagos Islands' northernmost island?
3. Who has a stuffed Galapagos marine iguana on his desk?
4. When does Siegfried von Kleist die?
5. How many children do the Hepburn's have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast Mandarax to Gokubi.
2. Discuss the three examples the narrator uses to show how people can become independent from their parents.
3. Describe the Hotel El Dorado.
4. Summarize James Wait's childhood as it is described in Chapter 3.
5. What two promises does Roy Hepburn ask his wife to keep on his deathbed?
6. Why does the narrator choose the Captain's head to get into in Chapter 23?
7. Why do blue-footed boobies dance the way they do in courtship?
8. Who is Akiko, and what is unique about her? Where is she born?
9. In Chapter 25, how is Hernando Cruz's case compared to that of Jesus Ortiz?
10. Give two theories that are discussed for how animals arrived on the Galapagos Islands.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the need for human companionship as seen in the novel. To what extent do the characters need one another? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How are the blue-footed boobies in the novel symbolic? Why do you think the author puts such an emphasis on the blue-footed boobies? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Identity and self-image are extremely deceiving as many characters in the novel are not whom they claim to be. Why do you think so many characters in the novel claim to be somebody else completely? What does this tell you about importance and emphasis on image and one's identity?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)