|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality does James Wait claim to be in Chapter 2?
2. What is the name given to the moment when the beaks of the blue-footed boobies are pointed in the direction exactly opposite to the pull of gravity?
3. It is theorized that ________ created all the creatures on the Galapagos Islands, so they had no need for transportation.
4. What animal does Roy fight to stay alive to see on the Galapagos Islands?
5. How many wives has James Wait had?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the Bahia De Darwin to the Beagle.
2. Why does Mary Hepburn believe she had a brain tumor in Chapter 7?
3. Describe the city of Guayaquil as it is described in Chapter 1.
4. When does Adolf von Kleist tell Mary Hepburn that he might be a carrier of Huntington's chorea?
5. Summarize James Wait's childhood as it is described in Chapter 3.
6. Why does Siegfried von Kleist have no children?
7. Discuss the three examples the narrator uses to show how people can become independent from their parents.
8. Describe Andrew MacIntosh's personality as it is described in Chapter 19.
9. Give two theories that are discussed for how animals arrived on the Galapagos Islands.
10. Who is Akiko, and what is unique about her? Where is she born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The portrait of Charles Darwin hangs behind the bar in the Hotel El Dorado. Why do you think Charles Darwin is such an important figure to the characters in the novel? In your opinion, do you think Charles Darwin should be seen as an idol? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Courting of a potential mate is easily seen between both animals and human beings. To what extent is animal courting similar to that of human courting? Use examples from the text to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Make a case for or against the following statement: "Culture and society is just something that humans do because it is programmed in their brains." Use the novel for evidence to support your case.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)