|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the Bahia scheduled to sail?
2. Who is Donald?
3. Who's head does the narrator get into while he rides in a taxicab from Guayaquil International Airport to the Bahia?
4. Who claimed the Galapagos Islands in 1832?
5. What branch of military had Roy served in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Hernando Cruz planned to do to the Bahia if the trip was canceled?
2. Why does Mary Hepburn believe she had a brain tumor in Chapter 7?
3. Who stated, "The dry and parched surface, being heated by the noon-day sun, gave to the air a close and sultry feeling, like that from a stove: we fancied even that the bushes smelt unpleasantly?" What is this statement in reference to?
4. In what way is Mary Hepburn "Mother Nature Personified?"
5. Who discovered the Galapagos Islands in 1535 A.D.?
6. Why do blue-footed boobies dance the way they do in courtship?
7. Discuss the three examples the narrator uses to show how people can become independent from their parents.
8. In Chapter 9, what is Roy Hepburn's dying compared to? Explain.
9. Summarize James Wait's childhood as it is described in Chapter 3.
10. In Chapter 25, how is Hernando Cruz's case compared to that of Jesus Ortiz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give a full and complete profile of James Wait. Identify his physical appearance, his mental, emotional, and personality characteristics, and detail his past history. Use direct references from the novel and cite your references.
Essay Topic 2
The portrait of Charles Darwin hangs behind the bar in the Hotel El Dorado. Why do you think Charles Darwin is such an important figure to the characters in the novel? In your opinion, do you think Charles Darwin should be seen as an idol? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator, Leon Trout, states that all the sorrows of humankind are caused by "the only true villain in my story: the oversized human brain." Do you agree with his statement? Explain by using specific examples from the text.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)