|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What war did the narrator fight in?
2. What extra credit response did Noble Claggett turn in to Mary Hepburn that stayed with her until the day she died?
3. What book does Roy make Mary get while he lays in his deathbed?
4. What do the two stars by the names of certain characters in the story mean?
5. What was the narrator's father's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the city of Guayaquil as it is described in Chapter 1.
2. Who discovered the Galapagos Islands in 1535 A.D.?
3. Why does the narrator choose the Captain's head to get into in Chapter 23?
4. Describe the Hotel El Dorado.
5. In what way is Mary Hepburn "Mother Nature Personified?"
6. Describe Andrew MacIntosh's personality as it is described in Chapter 19.
7. Describe Jesus Ortiz . What is his brain capable of doing?
8. Does Mary Hepburn want to go to the Galapagos Islands? Explain.
9. Why does Siegfried von Kleist have no children?
10. Why do blue-footed boobies dance the way they do in courtship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give a full and complete profile of James Wait. Identify his physical appearance, his mental, emotional, and personality characteristics, and detail his past history. Use direct references from the novel and cite your references.
Essay Topic 2
An important theme to the novel is that "human perception creates and perpetrates suffering." Use specific reasons and examples from the text that support this theme.
Essay Topic 3
Make a case for or against the following statement: "Culture and society is just something that humans do because it is programmed in their brains." Use the novel for evidence to support your case.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)