|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, what two animals keep the human population nice and manageable, and nobody starves?
2. What name does Zenji Hiroguchi travel under?
3. Who has claimed to have been exposed to radiation when the United States dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan?
4. What do the two stars by the names of certain characters in the story mean?
5. Who tells Mary Hepburn the Bahia has landed on the Island of Santa Rosalia?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, how is Charles Darwin described?
2. Why is Mary Hepburn practically unseen in the Hotel El Dorado?
3. Summarize James Wait's childhood as it is described in Chapter 3.
4. Who is Akiko, and what is unique about her? Where is she born?
5. Why does the narrator choose the Captain's head to get into in Chapter 23?
6. When does Adolf von Kleist tell Mary Hepburn that he might be a carrier of Huntington's chorea?
7. What two promises does Roy Hepburn ask his wife to keep on his deathbed?
8. What mystery in 1986 A.D. is discussed in Chapter 1?
9. Describe Jesus Ortiz . What is his brain capable of doing?
10. Compare and contrast Mandarax to Gokubi.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the need for human companionship as seen in the novel. To what extent do the characters need one another? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Make a case for or against the following statement: "Culture and society is just something that humans do because it is programmed in their brains." Use the novel for evidence to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
Mandarax speaks in quotes. Examine three specific quotes Mandarax uses and discuss the impact of these quotes on the novel.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)