|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who's portrait is behind the bar at the Hotel El Dorado?
2. How many cruise ships have their port in Guayaquil?
3. Who disconnects the El Dorado's phones in Chapter 25?
4. When does Siegfried von Kleist die?
5. It is theorized that ________ created all the creatures on the Galapagos Islands, so they had no need for transportation.
Short Essay Questions
1. What two promises does Roy Hepburn ask his wife to keep on his deathbed?
2. Why does Kazakh never bark or play with other dogs?
3. Summarize James Wait's childhood as it is described in Chapter 3.
4. What mystery in 1986 A.D. is discussed in Chapter 1?
5. In Chapter 25, how is Hernando Cruz's case compared to that of Jesus Ortiz?
6. Does Mary Hepburn want to go to the Galapagos Islands? Explain.
7. Who discovered the Galapagos Islands in 1535 A.D.?
8. Why does Mary Hepburn believe she had a brain tumor in Chapter 7?
9. Why do blue-footed boobies dance the way they do in courtship?
10. Describe Jesus Ortiz . What is his brain capable of doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The portrait of Charles Darwin hangs behind the bar in the Hotel El Dorado. Why do you think Charles Darwin is such an important figure to the characters in the novel? In your opinion, do you think Charles Darwin should be seen as an idol? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Courting of a potential mate is easily seen between both animals and human beings. To what extent is animal courting similar to that of human courting? Use examples from the text to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
An important theme to the novel is that "human perception creates and perpetrates suffering." Use specific reasons and examples from the text that support this theme.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)