|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the last human marriage in the Galapagos Islands performed?
2. What make and model vehicle does Hernando Cruz drive?
3. What television show does the Captain of the Bahia appear on?
4. Mary Hepburn whispers, "You are my enemy. Why would I want to carry such a terrible enemy inside of me?" What is she referring to?
5. What branch of military had Roy served in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Hotel El Dorado.
2. Who stated, "The dry and parched surface, being heated by the noon-day sun, gave to the air a close and sultry feeling, like that from a stove: we fancied even that the bushes smelt unpleasantly?" What is this statement in reference to?
3. How does Mary Hepburn recognize the Island of Santa Rosalia in Chapter 24?
4. What two promises does Roy Hepburn ask his wife to keep on his deathbed?
5. When does Adolf von Kleist tell Mary Hepburn that he might be a carrier of Huntington's chorea?
6. Who discovered the Galapagos Islands in 1535 A.D.?
7. Why do blue-footed boobies dance the way they do in courtship?
8. What had Hernando Cruz planned to do to the Bahia if the trip was canceled?
9. Compare and contrast the Galapagos Islands back in 1986 A.D. to a million years later.
10. Why does Kazakh never bark or play with other dogs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your opinion, how are women viewed in the novel Galapagos? Are women overruled by their male counterparts or are women treated equally? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Courting of a potential mate is easily seen between both animals and human beings. To what extent is animal courting similar to that of human courting? Use examples from the text to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Mandarax speaks in quotes. Examine three specific quotes Mandarax uses and discuss the impact of these quotes on the novel.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)