|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the Bahia?
2. Who has a stuffed Galapagos marine iguana on his desk?
3. In what year was the last human marriage in the Galapagos Islands performed?
4. To whom does Andrew MacIntosh reveal his real reason for flying Selena, Kazakh, and the Hiroguchis from Merida to Guayaquil?
5. What is the name of the ship that Darwin took on a mapping expedition that would take him completely around the world and would last five years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mandarax? Who created it? How many Mandarax were made? What is its function?
2. In a desperate attempt to keep his passengers from canceling their cruise on the Bahia, what does Bobby King do?
3. In Chapter 9, what is Roy Hepburn's dying compared to? Explain.
4. Why does Kazakh never bark or play with other dogs?
5. Who is Akiko, and what is unique about her? Where is she born?
6. Describe Jesus Ortiz . What is his brain capable of doing?
7. When does Adolf von Kleist tell Mary Hepburn that he might be a carrier of Huntington's chorea?
8. Why is Mary Hepburn practically unseen in the Hotel El Dorado?
9. Give two theories that are discussed for how animals arrived on the Galapagos Islands.
10. How do people describe their brains in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your opinion, how are women viewed in the novel Galapagos? Are women overruled by their male counterparts or are women treated equally? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Make a case for or against the following statement: "Culture and society is just something that humans do because it is programmed in their brains." Use the novel for evidence to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the need for human companionship as seen in the novel. To what extent do the characters need one another? Explain.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)