|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When his beauty began to fade, Wait became an instructor in __________ dancing.
2. What television show does the Captain of the Bahia appear on?
3. How many tombs are on the Galapagos Islands?
4. What is the name of the Ecuadorian currency that has become worth less than a banana peel?
5. What is the capital of Ecuador?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the Bahia De Darwin to the Beagle.
2. What is Mandarax? Who created it? How many Mandarax were made? What is its function?
3. Describe Andrew MacIntosh's personality as it is described in Chapter 19.
4. Describe Jesus Ortiz . What is his brain capable of doing?
5. How does Mary Hepburn recognize the Island of Santa Rosalia in Chapter 24?
6. In a desperate attempt to keep his passengers from canceling their cruise on the Bahia, what does Bobby King do?
7. In Chapter 9, what is Roy Hepburn's dying compared to? Explain.
8. What two promises does Roy Hepburn ask his wife to keep on his deathbed?
9. In Chapter 3, how is Charles Darwin described?
10. Compare and contrast Mandarax to Gokubi.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your opinion, how are women viewed in the novel Galapagos? Are women overruled by their male counterparts or are women treated equally? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Mental illness is a disorder characterized by disturbances in a person's thoughts, emotions, or behavior. Compare and contrast the views of mental illness as seen in the novel to modern day society. Use at least three examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the Afterlife to the novel. What does the Afterlife look like? Do the characters have a choice to enter into the Afterlife? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)