|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Panama hats come from?
2. How many cruise ships have their port in Guayaquil?
3. Who wants to become a major property owner in Ecuador?
4. Who befriended Wait after he ran away from home and taught him how to be a successful homosexual prostitute?
5. What nationality does James Wait claim to be in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the Galapagos Islands back in 1986 A.D. to a million years later.
2. What two promises does Roy Hepburn ask his wife to keep on his deathbed?
3. Give two theories that are discussed for how animals arrived on the Galapagos Islands.
4. In Chapter 9, what is Roy Hepburn's dying compared to? Explain.
5. What had Hernando Cruz planned to do to the Bahia if the trip was canceled?
6. What is Mandarax? Who created it? How many Mandarax were made? What is its function?
7. Compare and contrast Mandarax to Gokubi.
8. How does Mary Hepburn recognize the Island of Santa Rosalia in Chapter 24?
9. Does Mary Hepburn want to go to the Galapagos Islands? Explain.
10. In a desperate attempt to keep his passengers from canceling their cruise on the Bahia, what does Bobby King do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator, Leon Trout, states that all the sorrows of humankind are caused by "the only true villain in my story: the oversized human brain." Do you agree with his statement? Explain by using specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the need for human companionship as seen in the novel. To what extent do the characters need one another? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Technology and robots are widely seen and used throughout the novel. In what ways has technology effected the characters in the novel? What dangers are there for a society which greatly depends on technology?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)