|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is a bartender at the Hotel El Dorado and a 21 year old descendant of proud Inca noblemen?
2. According to the narrator, what made marriage so difficult?
3. Who says: "Good luck, my Swedish princess. I shall dream of you."
4. What is the name of the Ecuadorian currency that has become worth less than a banana peel?
5. What extra credit response did Noble Claggett turn in to Mary Hepburn that stayed with her until the day she died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize James Wait's childhood as it is described in Chapter 3.
2. Compare and contrast Mandarax to Gokubi.
3. Describe Jesus Ortiz . What is his brain capable of doing?
4. When does Adolf von Kleist tell Mary Hepburn that he might be a carrier of Huntington's chorea?
5. Why do blue-footed boobies dance the way they do in courtship?
6. Who is Akiko, and what is unique about her? Where is she born?
7. Compare and contrast the Galapagos Islands back in 1986 A.D. to a million years later.
8. Why does Kazakh never bark or play with other dogs?
9. Compare and contrast the Bahia De Darwin to the Beagle.
10. In Chapter 25, how is Hernando Cruz's case compared to that of Jesus Ortiz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the blue-footed boobies in the novel symbolic? Why do you think the author puts such an emphasis on the blue-footed boobies? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Natural selection is defined as the process by which inheritable traits make it more likely for an organism to survive and successfully reproduce. Make a case for or against natural selection. Use specific reasons and examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Mental illness is a disorder characterized by disturbances in a person's thoughts, emotions, or behavior. Compare and contrast the views of mental illness as seen in the novel to modern day society. Use at least three examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)