|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mary Hepburn's husband, Roy, die from?
2. What nationality does James Wait claim to be in Chapter 2?
3. What happened to Adolf's parents?
4. How does Andrew MacIntosh receive fifty million dollars?
5. Who is a bartender at the Hotel El Dorado and a 21 year old descendant of proud Inca noblemen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mandarax? Who created it? How many Mandarax were made? What is its function?
2. What two promises does Roy Hepburn ask his wife to keep on his deathbed?
3. Why does the narrator choose the Captain's head to get into in Chapter 23?
4. Describe Jesus Ortiz . What is his brain capable of doing?
5. In Chapter 25, how is Hernando Cruz's case compared to that of Jesus Ortiz?
6. Compare and contrast the Bahia De Darwin to the Beagle.
7. Compare and contrast Mandarax to Gokubi.
8. Who stated, "The dry and parched surface, being heated by the noon-day sun, gave to the air a close and sultry feeling, like that from a stove: we fancied even that the bushes smelt unpleasantly?" What is this statement in reference to?
9. Why does Siegfried von Kleist have no children?
10. How does Mary Hepburn recognize the Island of Santa Rosalia in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the need for human companionship as seen in the novel. To what extent do the characters need one another? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Make a case for or against the following statement: "Culture and society is just something that humans do because it is programmed in their brains." Use the novel for evidence to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
Technology and robots are widely seen and used throughout the novel. In what ways has technology effected the characters in the novel? What dangers are there for a society which greatly depends on technology?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)