|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many species of finch are on the Island of Santa Rosalia?
2. What television show does the Captain of the Bahia appear on?
3. In what language does Andrew MacIntosh speak to Jesús Ortiz in?
4. What happened to Adolf's parents?
5. According to the narrator, what are the people of the Galapagos Islands only tool?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize James Wait's childhood as it is described in Chapter 3.
2. Why is Mary Hepburn practically unseen in the Hotel El Dorado?
3. Does Mary Hepburn want to go to the Galapagos Islands? Explain.
4. What two promises does Roy Hepburn ask his wife to keep on his deathbed?
5. Compare and contrast Mandarax to Gokubi.
6. Describe Jesus Ortiz . What is his brain capable of doing?
7. In a desperate attempt to keep his passengers from canceling their cruise on the Bahia, what does Bobby King do?
8. Give two theories that are discussed for how animals arrived on the Galapagos Islands.
9. How does Mary Hepburn recognize the Island of Santa Rosalia in Chapter 24?
10. What is Mandarax? Who created it? How many Mandarax were made? What is its function?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Courting of a potential mate is easily seen between both animals and human beings. To what extent is animal courting similar to that of human courting? Use examples from the text to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Mental illness is a disorder characterized by disturbances in a person's thoughts, emotions, or behavior. Compare and contrast the views of mental illness as seen in the novel to modern day society. Use at least three examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In your opinion, how are women viewed in the novel Galapagos? Are women overruled by their male counterparts or are women treated equally? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)