|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret does Mary Hepburn keep from the Captain in Book 2: Chapter 11?
(a) That a Kanka-bono girl was pregnant.
(b) That she found a food supply.
(c) That she killed James Wait.
(d) That she was dying.
2. Who was head of the English Department at Ilium High School who had proposed marriage to Mary Hepburn?
(a) Samuel Butler.
(b) Charles Carryl.
(c) Robert Wojciehowitz.
(d) Joseph Conrad.
3. Who says: "I love you so much. Please marry me. I'm so lonesome. I'm so scared."
(a) Mary Hepburn.
(d) James Wait.
4. Who said: "Progress has been much more general than retrogression."
(a) Charles Darwin.
(d) Henry Adams.
5. How many times has the narrator materialized since becoming a ghost?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hisako Hiroguchi perform her first intimate act with in Chapter 32?
2. How many Maine lobsters were in aerated tanks of saltwater on board the Bahia before it was looted.
3. Who has become deaf after the explosion in Chapter 36?
4. What does James Wait say he thought people were put on earth to do?
5. How many warplanes does Ecuador keep at the Guayaquil International Airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many times has the narrator seen the blue tunnel in to the Afterlife? Where has he seen it appear?
2. Why are the Kanka-bono girls laughing at the Captain in Chapter 11? Why does the Captain think they are laughing?
3. In the Captain's story he shares with Akiko, how are lobsters much like humans?
4. Who does Akiko name one of her daughters after? Explain.
5. How is Prince Richard murdered? Who kills him?
6. Is Siegfried von Kleist successful at committing suicide in Chapter 38? Explain.
7. What does the cancellation of "the Nature Cruise of the Century" mean to everyone in the bus in front of the Hotel El Dorado?
8. Does Leon Trout obey the Father's request for him to go into the blue tunnel? Explain.
9. In Book 2: Chapter 12, what does the narrator suggest as a means for Mary Hepburn to keep on living with the Captain for a little while longer?
10. Why does Mary Hepburn like James Wait immediately?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)