|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two names are left off the Bahia passenger list as a matter of delicacy?
(a) James Wait and Willard Flemming.
(b) Selena MacIntosh and Kazakh.
(c) Andrew and Selena MacIntosh.
(d) Roy and Mary Hepburn.
2. When Wait considered himself old enough to run away, he hitchhiked to __________.
3. How does Andrew MacIntosh receive fifty million dollars?
(a) It is loaned to him from a relative.
(b) He inherites the money.
(c) It is loaned to him from the bank.
(d) He wins it at the casino.
4. Who is Kazakh?
(a) Roy Hepburn's mistress.
(b) Selena's father.
(c) The hotel manager.
(d) Selena's seeing-eye dog.
5. What was the narrator's father's occupation?
(a) A science-fiction writer.
(b) A scientist.
(c) A biology teacher.
(d) A pastry chef.
Short Answer Questions
1. Including Wait, how many guests are staying at the Hotel El Dorado?
2. What happened to Adolf's parents?
3. What nationality does James Wait claim to be in Chapter 2?
4. What television show does the Captain of the Bahia appear on?
5. What is Mary Hepburn wearing when she arrives at the Hotel El Dorado?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two promises does Roy Hepburn ask his wife to keep on his deathbed?
2. Why does Kazakh never bark or play with other dogs?
3. Discuss the three examples the narrator uses to show how people can become independent from their parents.
4. In Chapter 3, how is Charles Darwin described?
5. Why does Siegfried von Kleist have no children?
6. Why do blue-footed boobies dance the way they do in courtship?
7. What is Mandarax? Who created it? How many Mandarax were made? What is its function?
8. How does Mary Hepburn recognize the Island of Santa Rosalia in Chapter 24?
9. What had Hernando Cruz planned to do to the Bahia if the trip was canceled?
10. When does Adolf von Kleist tell Mary Hepburn that he might be a carrier of Huntington's chorea?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)