|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children do the Hepburn's have?
2. Who is the 35-year-old American male who could not swim a stroke, who intended to get from the South American continent to the Galapagos Islands?
(a) James Wait.
(b) Charles Darwin.
(c) Leon Trout.
(d) Zenji Hiroguchi.
3. Who is a bartender at the Hotel El Dorado and a 21 year old descendant of proud Inca noblemen?
(a) James Wait.
(b) Willard Flemming.
(c) Jesus Ortiz.
(d) Leon Trout.
4. What do the two stars by the names of certain characters in the story mean?
(a) These characters would be dead before the sun went down.
(b) These characters are the only surviving characters.
(c) These characters are royal figures.
(d) These characters are the most important.
5. What is the name given to the moment when the beaks of the blue-footed boobies are pointed in the direction exactly opposite to the pull of gravity?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 26, where does the Captain devise his emergency plan for the Bahia?
2. Mary Hepburn whispers, "You are my enemy. Why would I want to carry such a terrible enemy inside of me?" What is she referring to?
3. Who is Donald?
4. Who's portrait is behind the bar at the Hotel El Dorado?
5. How many cruise ships have their port in Guayaquil?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary Hepburn recognize the Island of Santa Rosalia in Chapter 24?
2. Compare and contrast Mandarax to Gokubi.
3. In Chapter 3, how is Charles Darwin described?
4. Give two theories that are discussed for how animals arrived on the Galapagos Islands.
5. Why is Mary Hepburn practically unseen in the Hotel El Dorado?
6. What had Hernando Cruz planned to do to the Bahia if the trip was canceled?
7. In what way is Mary Hepburn "Mother Nature Personified?"
8. Describe Jesus Ortiz . What is his brain capable of doing?
9. Why do blue-footed boobies dance the way they do in courtship?
10. Summarize James Wait's childhood as it is described in Chapter 3.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)