|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is a bartender at the Hotel El Dorado and a 21 year old descendant of proud Inca noblemen?
(a) Willard Flemming.
(b) Jesus Ortiz.
(c) James Wait.
(d) Leon Trout.
2. What did Mary Hepburn's husband, Roy, die from?
(a) Alcohol poisoning.
(b) A brain tumor.
(c) A gunshot wound.
(d) A broken heart.
3. What is James Wait's native city?
(a) Midland City.
4. Who is the 35-year-old American male who could not swim a stroke, who intended to get from the South American continent to the Galapagos Islands?
(a) Zenji Hiroguchi.
(b) Leon Trout.
(c) Charles Darwin.
(d) James Wait.
5. What other subject did Mary Hepburn teach at Ilium High School?
(c) Human sexuality.
(d) Physical education.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Mary Hepburn the Bahia has landed on the Island of Santa Rosalia?
2. What is ikebana?
3. What animal is not found on the Galapagos Islands?
4. What is the name of the Ecuadorian currency that has become worth less than a banana peel?
5. What company is automating the Bahia and also employs Zenji Hiroguchi?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Mary Hepburn "Mother Nature Personified?"
2. What does the narrator say after the death of Kazakh and James Wait? Why does he say this?
3. Who is Akiko, and what is unique about her? Where is she born?
4. Discuss the three examples the narrator uses to show how people can become independent from their parents.
5. Give two theories that are discussed for how animals arrived on the Galapagos Islands.
6. Is Siegfried von Kleist successful at committing suicide in Chapter 38? Explain.
7. According to the narrator, are there anymore left handed people in the world? Explain.
8. Who stated, "The dry and parched surface, being heated by the noon-day sun, gave to the air a close and sultry feeling, like that from a stove: we fancied even that the bushes smelt unpleasantly?" What is this statement in reference to?
9. Why does Mary Hepburn like James Wait immediately?
10. Compare and contrast the Galapagos Islands back in 1986 A.D. to a million years later.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)