|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year was Charles Darwin born?
2. What bird is a teaser and a robber of the blue-footed boobies?
(a) The frigate.
(b) The waved albatrosses.
(c) The penguin.
(d) The blue heron.
3. What is James Wait's native city?
(d) Midland City.
4. How many tombs are on the Galapagos Islands?
5. What other subject did Mary Hepburn teach at Ilium High School?
(b) Physical education.
(c) Human sexuality.
6. According to the narrator, what two animals keep the human population nice and manageable, and nobody starves?
(a) Sea turtles and fish.
(b) Dolphins and stingrays.
(c) Killer whales and sharks.
(d) Blue-footed boobies and finches.
7. What is Mary Hepburn wearing when she arrives at the Hotel El Dorado?
(a) Jeans and a tank top.
(b) A cheeta print dress.
(c) A silk formal dress.
(d) U.S. Marine Corps combat fatigues.
8. Where do Panama hats come from?
9. How does the narrator die?
(a) A brain tumor.
(b) He died of old age.
(c) He was beheaded.
(d) He was ate by a shark.
10. Who tells Mary Hepburn the Bahia has landed on the Island of Santa Rosalia?
(a) A little bird.
(b) An iguana.
(c) Andrew MacIntosh.
(d) The Captain.
11. Who coined the term "biology?"
(a) Charles Darwin.
(b) Sigmund Freud.
(c) Gottfried Treveranus.
(d) Albert Einstein.
12. Where did Wait meet, court, and marry his first wife?
(a) At the bar.
(b) At the dance studio.
(c) On a cruise.
(d) On the streets.
13. In Chapter 26, where does the Captain devise his emergency plan for the Bahia?
(a) In the garden.
(b) In the ocean.
(c) In the sauna.
(d) In the shower.
14. Who has a stuffed Galapagos marine iguana on his desk?
(a) Bobby King.
(b) Andrew MacIntosh.
(c) Adolf von Kleist.
(d) Siegfried von Kleist.
15. Who claimed the Galapagos Islands in 1832?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the body of water named in honor of Charles Darwin?
2. Who's head does the narrator get into while he rides in a taxicab from Guayaquil International Airport to the Bahia?
3. Who is the 35-year-old American male who could not swim a stroke, who intended to get from the South American continent to the Galapagos Islands?
4. What extra credit response did Noble Claggett turn in to Mary Hepburn that stayed with her until the day she died?
5. Mary Hepburn whispers, "You are my enemy. Why would I want to carry such a terrible enemy inside of me?" What is she referring to?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)