Book One: The Thing Was, Chapter 1-Chapter 2
• These chapters summarize the Galapagos Islands in 1986 from the point of view of a narrator a million years into the future who theorizes how animals arrived on the Island.
• We meet James Wait who is awaiting the Bahia de Darwin's maiden sea voyage. We learn of Wait's dark past and dirty secrets.
Book One: The Thing Was, Chapter 3
• This chapter details the Hotel El Dorado where the passengers of the Bahia await their departure to the Galapagos Islands.
• We get a closer look at James Wait's childhood and experiences in foster care, and the narrator compares his life story to that of James Wait's.
Book One: The Thing Was, Chapter 4
• This chapter details the white people's discovery of the Galapagos Islands in 1535 after being blown off course. They describe the Galapagos Islands as a horror and towed their...
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)